Arcadia Replacement Parts?

w8kbrder

I purchased my Arcadia 1/60 YF-19 off of a member here on the forums. Upon unpacking, I discovered that the small half moon shaped piece that covers the neck when in jet form was missing. The previous owner never mentioned this prior to the purchase and did not have the part. Personally I though it was kinda crappy to sell something like that with a missing key piece and not warn the purchaser.

Regardless, does anyone know if Arcadia would sell/provide a replacement part?

best regards

Very unlikely you'll be able to get anywhere with trying to acquire official replacements.  The Macross embargo on the US means most retailers and product companies in Japan can't do a thing for you.  Fortunately, it's not what I would call a critical part to the YF-19, since it functions well enough without the piece, and it's only for aesthetics in fighter mode. 

Your best bet for replacing it though would probably be to make a replacement yourself, based on measurements from the actual part (which I'm sure someone here can provide).  It's a very simple part, and would probably be easily reproducible by any number of methods. 

We've got a lot of prolific 3D modelers on this forum, so you might be able to convince someone to upload a model of the piece to Shapeways.com, and order a 3D printed replacement.  If someone doesn't get to it before me, I can build up a model of the part later this afternoon. :) 

I would do as chronocidal suggest and make a replacement piece.  I did that an number of years back for the V1 YF-19 using plastic from a black enamel spray can cap.   I believe someone on the forums had uploaded a scan for the dimensions of the piece and you simply had to print out the template and cut.  Should be pretty easy to pull off. 

The neck cover for the Arcadia YF-19 is a bit more complex I think, since it has a ridge to hook under the back of the head.

And as far as making something yourself goes, no worries, I'm definitely thinking a 3D printed part would be the easiest way to go.  If someone uploads a model to Shapeways.com, you can just order it directly for a few dollars.  Might even be able to get it printed in black, so it doesn't need to be painted.  You just might need to do a little sanding and smoothing to clean up the raw print, since the process doesn't always leave parts with the nicest finish.

Wasn't able to get the model built up until this morning, but it looks ready to go.  The curvature took a little bit of eyeballing, so I'm going to order one to test out myself, but feel free to grab one if you want to experiment with it.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/YF9G9K2A3/yf19-neck-cover?key=69cf119ac3e49ba53dfa546c57da1d9c

Might need a little sanding around the edges to fit properly, but it looks pretty much ready to go.

Update, received my printed copy of the neck cover, and it works fine straight out of the box.

neckcover1.jpg.1287c525a277979c42278f4b98a993ad.jpgneckcover2.jpg.50e33b4581a9f2a6adcebf3b3ba55db8.jpg

Forward edge looks like it came out slightly too narrow, but it tabs in nicely under the head and fuselage, and stays put really well.  Texture is quite rough, but it does the job.

Total cost came out to about $8 shipped.

• 3 weeks later...

Apologies for the bump here, but after digging out a few of my other valks, it looks like this neck cover will work for any of the Yamato VF-19 molds, as well as the Arcadia YF-19.  The molding is pretty much identical, and the shapeways part fits fine on my VF-19P.

Unfortunately, I don't think Shapeways offers colors that will match most of the VF-19 molds, but black doesn't look too bad on the P, and it would probably only look really out of place on the Fire Valkyrie.

On 4/7/2017 at 6:30 PM, Chronocidal said:

Update, received my printed copy of the neck cover, and it works fine straight out of the box.

neckcover1.jpg.1287c525a277979c42278f4b98a993ad.jpgneckcover2.jpg.50e33b4581a9f2a6adcebf3b3ba55db8.jpg

Forward edge looks like it came out slightly too narrow, but it tabs in nicely under the head and fuselage, and stays put really well.  Texture is quite rough, but it does the job.

Total cost came out to about $8 shipped.

wow, that's some skill :)

The one thing that didn't come out quite right was the width of the ridges on the sides, but that's my own fault for not double checking the width of that back edge and eyeballing the curvature. 

Still, between this and the new YF-19 wing brackets, the digital caliper I was given for Christmas last year has been absolutely proving its usefulness. :)