LIFE

spanner

I saw some early harsh reviews giving it the "Alien Wanna-be" rip off of a lifetime award, from the trailer I can already see a lot of it's shortcomings but I'll still watch it, I'm a hopeless space / sci-fi / horror fan, it's got to be better than 80% of what's floating around on the internet that I haven't already seen.  

2 hours ago, Graham said:

Haven't seen it, but it would be a great reveal at the end if the Alien is actually Deadpool, what with Ryan Reynolds being in the movie........LOL

but wait.. what? why or how would the Alien be Deadpool if Ryan Reynolds character on the space station d###... never mind. I won't give it away. 

Edited by spanner

Saw it tonight. Enjoyed it well enough. Spoilers in case you care:

- 1) Why the HELL would you touch an alien life form? 2) Why would you become emotionally attached to it? You dumb frakk. And 3) WHY THE HELL WOULD YOU TOUCH AN ALIEN LIFE FORM?

- The alien was cool as an amorphous blob of cytoplasm and feelers, not so much once it started to form a face and visible appendages. "Every cell is a muscle, a nerve, and a photoreceptor," they said, and then it - or actually "they," the alien is actually many self-sufficient individual organisms - started forming specialized tissue and limbs. Boo.

- I could have gone either way on the ending. The movie chooses to end with a bait-and-switch by having the alien land on Earth and presumably begin killing the entire planet. Before the Shyamalan twist, they pretend that the Jake Gyllenhaal character traps it in an escape pod with himself so that he can fly it into deep space while the other remaining cast member takes a second pod back to Earth. I felt like it earned a happy ending if it wanted it.

- It would be the best if this did turn out to be a stealth Venom origin movie. (It isn't, but THE POSSIBILITIES.) The final alien design I can live without, go back to its original form, but otherwise it's perfectly serviceable.

- The alien being a colony organism, they could have been so much more creative with it than turning it into just Alien 2.0. There's talk about quarantine and infection, so this could have covered some seriously interesting ideas like Bacterial Outbreak in Space, but nooope, monster of the week it is.

- The movie got annoying when they tried and failed to be science-fiction-y about it. It's a carbon-based life form that needs oxygen and water but can survive and even operate without any loss of function out in the vacuum of space no problem. The Alien, we had no problem just rolling with it going for a space walk because they didn't try to explain it at all. This thing was a fully exposed blob of water, proteins, and sugar. It should have frozen instantly.

That all being said, I enjoyed it just fine. It's in the vein of Alien. Not as good, but still good.

My son enjoyed it which is what mattered as it was part of his birthday dinner & movie evening thing. Though the movie did give me a "can't wait for it to end so I can get the hell out of this bloody cinema" feeling.. 

To be honest it would have been better if the alien life form had physically taken over the bodies of the crew rather than being some blob running about the place..

7 hours ago, spanner said:

My son enjoyed it which is what mattered as it was part of his birthday dinner & movie evening thing. Though the movie did give me a "can't wait for it to end so I can get the hell out of this bloody cinema" feeling.. 

To be honest it would have been better if the alien life form had physically taken over the bodies of the crew rather than being some blob running about the place..

Yeah, I got that same feeling, too, now that I think about it. The beginning dragged, and after the conflict ratcheted up and the alien had no more new tricks up its sleeve, I started getting a bit bored. Not enough to not want to see it to the end, but enough to notice time passing.

After it started eating Ryan Reynolds from the inside out, I thought it would stay in there and pantomime him, or leave bits of itself behind to grow into a second colony creature, or something more interesting. Again, a bacterial outbreak aboard the ISS. That would have been a great movie. I thought it might take over the disabled guy when they start sealing areas off halfway through the movie (there's that one shot of him seeing it down the hall), but nope, it just for whatever reason sneaks onto his leg and stays there.

Actually, speaking of which, I'm still not sure what happened there. Either he didn't know it was there because of the paralysis (which is what I thought), but his monologue to the others makes it seem like he did; or he did know and... I dunno, thought maybe he could keep it contained by letting it eat him? Otherwise he intentionally brought it into the cabin because he was too in love with it and was both suicidal and homicidal? Either way, I can't say I felt much emotional attachment when he finally died. Dude was literally the only reason everything fell to crap. WHY WOULD YOU PET A MOTHER-LOVING ALIEN!?!?

I don't get why it didn't immediately liquefy him (or any of the other characters) like it did the rat, either.

On 3/23/2017 at 11:02 PM, badboy00z said:

What kind of moron do you have to be to touch an alien life form and not expect something bad is going to happen? 

Then kind of moron Hollywood puts in an astronaut suit/military uniform/lab coat/spy gear. That's what kind.