This was bound to happen...gray market VF's?

UN Spacy

1 hour ago, Xigfrid said:

The only reason I can see for a KO 31j is to make a Kai version of it. 

I really don’t understand why they don’t make a 31A, that would be an instant multiple buy for me

I'm considering the J because originally I was only going to get the C and E, and whilst I was waiting for Chuck I ended up buying everything BUT the J. Though I gotta agree, the fact that it's not a Kai is giving me pause.

In terms of "why not the A", I'm guessing they haven't got the molds (yet?) and want to make bank on the molds they have before they try to improvise.

On 12/31/2018 at 9:40 AM, WaferMouse said:

I'm considering the J because originally I was only going to get the C and E, and whilst I was waiting for Chuck I ended up buying everything BUT the J. Though I gotta agree, the fact that it's not a Kai is giving me pause.

In terms of "why not the A", I'm guessing they haven't got the molds (yet?) and want to make bank on the molds they have before they try to improvise.

The only reason I can think of is that the J came out first, and they started working on the mold right away to try get a completed KO product out in the market before the demand dies down. What you said about the A makes a lot of sense, but I hope they get to it eventually. 

3 minutes ago, nightmareB4macross said:

I hope you guys are both right. 

If this release is of Kai then I am totally for it. I was never too crazy about the price tag. All Bandai did was splash some black steaks over the original paint scheme, attach a new emblem, and a few armaments. 

Don't forget the cool looking Tamashii box that came with it too. ;)

10 hours ago, nightmareB4macross said:

I hope you guys are both right. 

If this release is of Kai then I am totally for it. I was never too crazy about the price tag. All Bandai did was splash some black steaks over the original paint scheme, attach a new emblem, and a few armaments. 

Fairly certain they'd mention it were it the Kai, unless there's a language barrier somewhere. Why would they miss out on the extra sales?

5 minutes ago, eggy99 said:

I feel like it’s just us hardcore fans who love the military paint schemes. The customers the KO companies are going for just want the popular anime paint schemes so we can only continue to dream and wish. :p

Considering the VF-0D and VF-31A (and for that matter the VF-11B and C), I' say there's at least some love for paint schemes that are closer to real-world.

On 12/30/2018 at 11:25 AM, jenius said:

They should do Urban camo V2 GBP

That would be great.  I’d also buy 1/60 v2 VF-1 Low Visibilty paint schemes that were only released in 1/48 scale.

9 minutes ago, nightmareB4macross said:

As long  as they don’t look like the Super 7 mini versions that came out. Those were terrible.

I ended up buying a set off Ebay with one of those discounts over the holidays....the SDF-1 is ok....I bought them to see how they compared to the old school Takatoku sofubis....still haven't had a chance to do that....I'll post some pics when I do....

As for the super-size chunky....I meant that I would literally want it to just be an upscaled chunky....not some vinyl take on it.....complete with the original Takatoku box and styrofoam! A 2 or 3ft version of the original 1/55.

To each their own, but I'm worried these KOs will hurt small companies like Arcadia to produce more valks in the future.

I don't think the Macross market is large enough to support KOs like Transformers, is it?

Edited by arbit

2 hours ago, arbit said:

I don't think the Macross market is large enough to support KOs like Transformers, is it?

This is also my concern, and why I'm only buying things that are already in the after-market or don't exist otherwise. I figure if I have the KO, it means that someone else that cares about having it 1P doesn't have to go without.

My Hikaru arrived last night and with the exception of a black speck on the Spacy tampo on the wing and the same detent in the shin that needs filing down, it's a huge improvement over the Skull Leader. Arcadia needs to either lawyer up or up their game. I'd hate to see this be the death of them.

Edited by WaferMouse

My hikaru KO has landed, again there are a couple of flaws if you compare it with the yammie. 

Joints are stiff, no cracks no exploding plastics, paint apps is good no smudging. 

I wouldn't say its like the real thing but it brings me joy and happiness that's all it matters as a vf1s only collector 

DSC_2189.JPG

DSC_2190.JPG

DSC_2210.JPG

DSC_2199.JPG

DSC_2201.JPG

DSC_2193.JPG

DSC_2204.JPG

DSC_2192.JPG

20190105_063310.jpg

DSC_2194.JPG

DSC_2197.JPG

DSC_2196.JPG

5 hours ago, JET7 said:

My hikaru KO has landed, again there are a couple of flaws if you compare it with the yammie. 

Joints are stiff, no cracks no exploding plastics, paint apps is good no smudging. 

I wouldn't say its like the real thing but it brings me joy and happiness that's all it matters as a vf1s only collector 

DSC_2210.JPG

Ha Ha!! l looks like that Megs is not pleased after disposing Screamer and now he has another player to contend with.. :p Grimmy on the other hand is not even flinching...

Bugs aside, still going to pick up the Strike Hikaru sometime later on this year.

Edited by borgified

I think KO’s of long used molds with a decent market saturation (there’s plenty of yammys around, just over priced) will only force Arcadia to try harder to make product that can support a business. 

Bandai jumping into the VF market means they can’t just keep popping out the same 5 VF-1’s at 250$ a pop.

These KO’s while stealing someone’s property, it does increase competition. Just like Transformers, the higher end KO’s lead to third party companies. Who in many cases design their own figures and transformations improving on designs. For now we may have KO VF’s but the money they make, and suddenly a prototype of a 1/60 VA-3 pops up, and people won’t be so closed off to these pop up makers.

On 12/31/2018 at 11:41 PM, Xigfrid said:

The only reason I can see for a KO 31j is to make a Kai version of it. 

I really don’t understand why they don’t make a 31A, that would be an instant multiple buy for me

Same goes here. If it's 31A, I'd buy in a heartbeat

8 hours ago, JET7 said:

Some more with the hikky chunky 

DSC_2220.JPG

DSC_2223.JPG

I don't have a chunky monkey. But it would be nice if Bandai will make DX 1/48 Vf-1S Hikaru next. So you can display it with these two together. :wub:

Also, it's really becoming weird if this 'praise' comment will still be downvoted like the rest of my praise comments, right? Not that I have noticed.:pardon:Hahaha!:rofl:

4 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

Also, it's really becoming weird if this 'praise' comment will still be downvoted like the rest of my praise comments, right? Not that I have noticed.:pardon:Hahaha!:rofl:

I wouldn't worry too much about it. I've definitely noticed a higher than average number of downvotes in this thread. It's almost as though the people doing it think if they keep it up, we'll stop talking about KOs. In the gray market thread.

Honestly, the thing that bothers me the most is they're not even getting involved with the conversation.

Eg, Lolicon's level-headed comment gets 4 down to 2 up:

On 12/27/2018 at 4:52 AM, Lolicon said:

An item is worth whatever you are willing to pay for it.

There is no secret cabal that determines the "real price" of a toy and etches it into a stone tablet or anything. :p

I guess we annoyed the secret cabal! :spiteful:

Edited by WaferMouse

Personally I don't care if it's KO or not as long as they have good quality at a reasonable price. If someone is willing to pay 60k yen for 31A, fine by me. I'm not paying those ridiculous prices. If Bandai or Arcadia worry about KO hurting them, then run a second or third releases of those hard to get items. I'm sure no one would want to buy KOs if the original can be bought at a reasonable price. But if the scalpers trying to scalp, I don't mind KO at all.

Edited by Firefox

18 hours ago, WaferMouse said:

I wouldn't worry too much about it. I've definitely noticed a higher than average number of downvotes in this thread. It's almost as though the people doing it think if they keep it up, we'll stop talking about KOs. In the gray market thread.

Honestly, the thing that bothers me the most is they're not even getting involved with the conversation.

Eg, Lolicon's level-headed comment gets 4 down to 2 up:

I guess we annoyed the secret cabal! :spiteful:

The ones who voted down are probably those who horde these items as many as they could and worrying the KOs will hurt their extreme profit. :spiteful:

4 hours ago, Firefox said:

The ones who voted down are probably those who horde these items as many as they could and worrying the KOs will hurt their extreme profit. :spiteful:

Seems legit. They're invested enough to lurk, but not enough to actually interact beyond pushing the red button.

If any part of this post is incorrect, I invite the downvoters to actually get involved in the thread and say so. Nothing would make me happier than for you to prove me wrong! We're all Macross fans after all, right?:friends:

Or, y'know, just downvote this post into oblivion and prove me right. Your call.

Edited by WaferMouse