Venom - The Movie

seti88

18 minutes ago, mikeszekely said:

What's up with the repeated assertions that Venom will have nothing to do with Spider-Man? I was under the impression that Sony and Marvel's deal means Spidey is part of the MCU, so Spidey can turn up in the Avengers and Iron Man could be in Homecoming, but that Spider-Man is also the cornerstone of Sony's Spidey verse and can (and maybe will) appear in stuff like Venom and Silver Sable. The only catch is that the other Spideyverse movies don't acknowledge the MCU, and the MCU films don't acknowledge the Spideyverse. In fact, I believe Tom Holland is confirmed for Venom.

1 minute ago, Tking22 said:

I read exactly the opposite from multiple sources quite a while ago, I believe Sony confirmed not only no MCU connections, but no Spidey, let alone no Holland Spidey. I've read nothing to let me know otherwise, let alone that Holland was confirmed for this. That was the drag from the beginning, Sony basically announced this as a random, stand alone, not connected to anything Venom film. It was also never confirmed Holland would be a part of the stand alone Sony Spiderverse films, if any even happen after this.

Pretty much the same feedback as Tking22 on whether or not Spidey will appear in Venom. 

It's supposed to be the same for the Silver Sable / Black Cat film.

Re: the actual movie and whether or not I think, or hope, that it'll be good and/or successful - "meh" best sums up my feelings. Even with Tom Hardy whose work I enjoy, at this point I really could care less about the movie. Maybe that'll change, maybe not.

-b.

12 minutes ago, Kanedas Bike said:

Even with Tom Hardy whose work I enjoy, at this point I really could care less about the movie. Maybe that'll change, maybe not.

-b.

This is probably why I'll end up seeing it, I like Hardy and his work, even if the accent he came up with for this film is, unique to say the least. Spidey, let alone Holland hasn't been confirmed, best I could find was that maybe at some point in the future he possibly could be in Silver and Black, or a Venom sequel, but it's all hypotheticals and maybes based on how this film does.

39 minutes ago, mikeszekely said:

And no leaked set photos?  I'm still taking this with a grain of salt, I have no idea how this wasn't more widely reported if true, I browse literally dozens of gaming and comic sites and never saw this reported once. Peter makes an appearance, no Spidey, not sure what that means or to what capacity. Still sounds like a crap show from the beginning, the whole is this in the MCU or not, and will there be Spidey or Holland or not? The concept of a semi shared universe is dumb. Either way, I'll believe it when I see it, I have zero confidence in any of this. Marvel has been completely tight-lipped about this movie, despite what reports said that Sony can use Holland, I have a hard time believing Marvel would be okay with confusing audiences with Sony's non-sensical only Spidey but not entirely MCU universe.

I really think that venom could have had a more interesting backstory if they let the events of the next avengers film lead to the symbiote suit. Then after spidey got a sequel down the road dealing with him ditching the suit leading up to a venom temporary bad guy thing and then getting a redemption story for his own film would made me feel more comfortable about a solo venom movie.

• 2 months later...
25 minutes ago, Mommar said:

Either the CG isn't finished or we're looking at Spawn-levels bad, except Spawn has the excuse of being made in 1998.

Considering that they're telling an origin story for Venom that has nothing to do with Spider-Man the Life Foundation angle is fairly clever, and Hardy's coming off as a pretty good Eddie Brock.  So on that much, at least, I can say that this looks like something I want to see.

But yeah, that CGI Venom looks really bad.  Maybe more comic-accurate from the neck down, but from the neck up Venom looked better in Spider-Man 3, and that was over a decade ago.

3 hours ago, TangledThorns said:

Tom Hardy is a great actor and that is my only hope for this movie. 

Tom Hardy is a FANTASTIC actor. If you haven't watched Bronson do yourself a favor and spool it up now. That said I have ZERO interest in this movie. Great actors star in crap movies all the time unfortunately.  This one is going to be a mess. 

Edited by SuperDimensionalDave

6 minutes ago, technoblue said:

I don't know. Looking past the CGI I have to say that I'm curious, if only to see how they twist the Brock/Venom origin story without any direct references to Spiderman.

Im also interested in that. Just not enough to buy a ticket lol. Say I see the Megahouse Olson is your avatar. I just got one but haven't opened it yet. How is it?  There's like 0 reviews online. PM me your thoughts if you get a chance. Thanks

30 minutes ago, technoblue said:

I don't know. Looking past the CGI I have to say that I'm curious, if only to see how they twist the Brock/Venom origin story without any direct references to Spiderman.

Well, that's pretty clear from the trailer. Evil corporation finds symbiotes, Eddie's a reporter whose girlfriend works for evil corporation, whistleblower at evil corporation decides coworker's reporter boyfriend is the perfect way to blow whistle, Eddie investigates and winds up accidentally bonded to a symbiote, evil corporation tried to kill Eddie, hijinks ensue.

And given that the Life Foundation was an evil corporation doing stuff with symbiotes and acted as bad guys for Venom's first solo run in the '90s I think tweaking Venom's origins to tie him to the life foundation instead of Spidey should work pretty well. It provides a reason for Eddie and the symbiote to come into contact and a villain for him to fight without the convoluted "I hate Spider-Man because he ruined my life" backstory.

So, bad CGI aside, it looks as faithful to Venom as you can get without Spidey. As a Venom fan I think it's actually looking pretty good.

3 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

Setting is San Francisco. Would that mean Ant-Man is going to show up? :rolleyes:

In the comics, way back in the '90s, after Spider-Man rescued Eddie's ex-wife Venom and Spidey made a kind of "you leave me alone, I'll leave you alone" deal.  To put some space between them Venom moved to San Francisco because it's where Eddie grew up.

Anyway, I showed the trailer to my wife when she got home from where.  I started to ask her, "Do you want to go see it with me?" and she was already saying "Yes!" before I got the question out.  My wife really doesn't know jack about comics, but she's seen pretty much every superhero movie out there anyway.

12 hours ago, mikeszekely said:

In the comics, way back in the '90s, after Spider-Man rescued Eddie's ex-wife Venom and Spidey made a kind of "you leave me alone, I'll leave you alone" deal.  To put some space between them Venom moved to San Francisco because it's where Eddie grew up.

Anyway, I showed the trailer to my wife when she got home from where.  I started to ask her, "Do you want to go see it with me?" and she was already saying "Yes!" before I got the question out.  My wife really doesn't know jack about comics, but she's seen pretty much every superhero movie out there anyway.

My wife liked the trailer too. Though I didn't pointed out to her the plasticky-looking-not-so-refined-looking CG mask towards the end. ^_^

The reason why I mentioned San Francisco and Ant-Man is that since they're kind of teasing us before that this is somehow related to Tom Holland's Spider-Man universe (hopefully), I was thinking maybe Ant-Man's going to show up too. Kind of my wishful thinking. ;) 

22 hours ago, mikeszekely said:

That's not a big endorsement since she obviously already said "yes" to you at one point in her life, so she's already predisposed to do it again ;) 

On 4/25/2018 at 10:39 PM, CoryHolmes said:

That's not a big endorsement since she obviously already said "yes" to you at one point in her life, so she's already predisposed to do it again ;) 

On the contrary, it confirms her record for making smart decisions. ^_^

Edited by mikeszekely

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, kajnrig said:

So I've always wondered about this. When Venom eats people... does... does Eddie, like... "get" some of those, ahem, nutrients, too? Has Marvel been low-key promoting cannibalism for like decades now?

From what I remember, when the symbiote was attached to Eddie he never allowed it to eat people, he never crossed the big cannibalism line. I remember in older comics Venom had a weird, dark long running joke where he always threatened to eat peoples brains, because apparently the symbiote craved a pheromone or something found in human brains. But once again, Eddie never allowed it, then he found out the same thing the symbiote craved from brains was in chocolate, so he just kept a steady stream of chocolate on hand for the symbiote.

Mac Gargan on the other hand... He certainly killed and ate a LOT of people. Mac was unhinged as Venom and basically gave the symbiote zero fight, he did whatever it wanted and whatever it told him to do. So when Mac was Venom, he indeed ate a ton of people, even a mess of Asgardians at one point.

As to whether the host gets any nutrients or anything from Venom eating, I really don't remember. I remember Mac shared in the blood lust when Venom slaughtered and ate folks, but beyond that I don't remember.