Prime 1 Studio Non-Scale VF-1

seti88

On 11/15/2017 at 1:09 PM, peter said:

That beast looked transformable, but are there any shots of the ting in any other modes?

Looks lie a giant statue, tbh. Between the detailing they don't put on their articulated pieces and the posing that's suspiciously symmetrical it points that way, imo.

• 1 month later...
On 11/20/2019 at 5:15 AM, anime52k8 said:

Wow, that is a hot mess. BTW, why is it hovering over water when it's using space only FAST packs?

For the same reason the gerwalk was, of course.  <_<

veri.jpg

'Cause it's Robotech!  :huh:

Looks pretty cool aside from the LH leg being tipped in at a weird angle and I'd rather see the cannon up in a shooting position opposed to a low ready.

But it's s statue.

I'll pay $1000+ for a Bandai Metal Structure VF-1S Roy w/ Strike Packs with no hesitation. Statues of Mecha do nothing for me.

Still irks me when I see the heads illuminated.  Yeah, I know Bandai did it with the DX prototype, but Robocrap has been the biggest offender when it comes to illuminated valk heads.

The head unit is essentially a camera unit.  When was the last time you saw the camera unit on a fighter plane or drone with an illuminated camera pod?  When do you see any cameras (news, film, film etc) illuminated period?

On NODS/NVG, you might get a little green light leaking and spilling out from the view screens, but not enough to give away your position.  They always exaggerate that $hit on TV and movies, but if you cranked up the brightness that high in real life, you'd be screwed for a good long time after taking them off.

Exaggerated green light spill:

PEO_ANAVS-6_NVG.jpg

No military in the world:

Robotech:  Let's light up our Veritech head to give away our position and make sure the enemy knows where to shoot.

5 hours ago, peter said:

No military in the world:

Robotech:  Let's light up our Veritech head to give away our position and make sure the enemy knows where to shoot.

You could maybe put on a lightup gimmck on old pre-thermal sight era tanks like the M48 and early M60 tanks that had the Xenon searchlights installed above the main gun.

But that's about it.  The lightup head gimmick on this statue is indeed dumb.

Edited by Vifam7

2 hours ago, Big s said:

Bandai does that often with gundam stuff as well. It looks great artistically, but makes no sense 

I like to think it's an intentional design. There's actually nothing at all in Zaku heads but those lights, and it distracts people into attacking it instead of the main body.

IIRC in Pacific Rim the Cherno Alpha has exactly that type of design, a big ol' search light situated far above the actual cockpit so that enemies mistakenly attack that instead.

61179c34cf9f567fbeb1df8f3d69504c.jpg

I don't know much about Gundam or what is supposed to be in their head units, but when it comes to Valks.....ahem, sorry, Veritechs, it is clearly a camera/sensor module.

In the case of Robotech, besides being all glowy and looking cool, lighting up the visor on the head unit serves no tactical purpose. 

I do recall the lights behind the head being used as spotlights, but a search and rescue scenario would be considered overt rather than covert.  Anyway, if only those were illuminated (plus all the other normal aircraft lights), I probably wouldn't get so pissy about it, lol!

11 hours ago, jenius said:

Toys don't have tactical functions, they're just supposed to look cool! If you don't think they look cool, you just never put in the batteries. Easy peasy guys.

I would add, all fighters have landing/flight lights. They keep them turned off for combat.

15 hours ago, jenius said:

Toys don't have tactical functions, they're just supposed to look cool! If you don't think they look cool, you just never put in the batteries. Easy peasy guys.

Setting military tactics aside for a moment (don't get me started on why a Valkyrie needs a mouth and speakers in space), when was the last time you saw an regular camera, video camera, webcam, dashcam, cellcam, security cam, newscam, nannycam, or trail cam, emit a bright green light?

Yeah, I know it's just a toy, and I have the freedom to not install batteries or not buy the toy at all.  I think it would have been better if they illuminated the actual flight lights instead, or even the flame effects.....

5 hours ago, peter said:

Setting military tactics aside for a moment (don't get me started on why a Valkyrie needs a mouth and speakers in space), when was the last time you saw an regular camera, video camera, webcam, dashcam, cellcam, security cam, newscam, nannycam, or trail cam, emit a bright green light?

About the same time I saw a pair of glasses luminesce.

Gendo_Ikari_by_Darthval.jpg

23 minutes ago, kajnrig said:

That's the glare from the desk lights, not them glowing. Seemed kind of... obvious.

Glasses don't do that, or at least they haven't done that since the time period of Eva (meanwhile the shining glasses trope is used constantly). They have Anti-Reflective coatings.

Edited by Sanity is Optional

I find it kind of fascinating how their Robotech statues specifically look lower quality than everything else they do. Like, that EVA statue to the left is just ugly by design but it's executed well. By comparison the sculpt and paint on the VF-1s look amateurish. 

• 9 months later...