Prime 1 Studio Non-Scale VF-1

seti88

On 10/5/2017 at 12:57 AM, JB0 said:

I'm just amused by the "glowing eye" effect. As always, it bears pointing out that Valk eyes DO NOT GLOW. Not canonically, and not in any stylized animation shots. And while it can look cool anyways... there's not enough light diffusion here to make it look like the entire lens is glowing. It is very obviously a single LED. 

Seriously, put those LEDs in the thrusters so those big thrust effects glow instead. Right now, we have the odd situation where parts that  AREN'T supposed to glow do, and parts that ARE supposed to glow(because they are literally fire) don't.

Oh well. At least they made sure the entire head doesn't light up.

Lol, my sentiments exactly. 

Reminds me of those lame veritechs that came out a few years ago with the glowing "eye", but I guess some people are easily amused by lights and shiny things.  

9 hours ago, peter said:

Lol, my sentiments exactly. 

Reminds me of those lame veritechs that came out a few years ago with the glowing "eye", but I guess some people are easily amused by lights and shiny things.  

I think those are what I was thinking of with "at least the whole head doesn't glow", actually.

Ouch on the price. I think there is probably more value in getting the light up cockpit speaker for display. I know some want a big display but I would go for a transformable valkyrie as well over this version. People on the Statue Forum are talking about possible variants too. If that happens the price / rarity thing isn't going to work out for Prime 1.

Maybe it's me but I would have gone with a simple design of Rick & Lisa or Minmay in the open cockpit and have the valkryie just hovering over the water. That would speak more to the overall theme of Macross. Or if you wanted an action pose do the Rick saves Minmay scene.

6 hours ago, TheLoneWolf said:

While I agree that the "VF" is unsightly, it is a part of Macross history.

Part of the merchandise, maybe, but it was never part of the "official" design as far as I'm aware, and even the merch had the good sense to get rid of it by the time the Yamato toys and Hasegawa kits came out.

Tangentially related question: Why does Robotech merchandise continue to draw from its inspiration series (and really only one of them) instead of promoting original creations? I mean, I know the reason why, but if HG were really interested in pushing Robotech, you'd think they would try to and integrate their original creations more and more into the merchandise. Make stuff of the Shadow Chronicles stuff, I think that's the latest animation to come out of that franchise. This constant rehashing of the VF-1 is all well and good for us old folks, but honestly it's franchise suicide.

21 hours ago, derex3592 said:

I have it on all my 1:60 VF-1J's -- it's kinda like the "TURBO" thing in the 80's. Put "TURBO" on it, it just makes it cooler! :p

If putting "TURBO" on your cars makes them go faster, does that mean putting "VF" on your VFs make them more variable? You might be onto something there...

4 minutes ago, kajnrig said:

This constant rehashing of the VF-1 is all well and good for us old folks, but honestly it's franchise suicide...

It's only "franchise suicide" if collectors stop buying them.....besides, I'm one of the "old folks"...so bring on more quality VF-1 rehashes! :rolleyes:

Like this one.....dang, has it been 2 years?...keep hope alive!

967a18d8.jpg

The crazy thing about that 1/35 toy is it looks done... Not like a faked mock up. I hope it see a release.

As to HG, the only original stuff they have are Sentinels and Shadow Chronicles bad guy designs for the most part, not really something with writing home about. They are screwed, their fan base demands the old stuff so they are afraid to stray and they don't have the funds to hire talent that can lead then forward. A live action movie is about the only way they could break free of the trap they're in.

11 hours ago, jenius said:

The crazy thing about that 1/35 toy is it looks done... Not like a faked mock up. I hope it see a release.

As to HG, the only original stuff they have are Sentinels and Shadow Chronicles bad guy designs for the most part, not really something with writing home about. They are screwed, their fan base demands the old stuff so they are afraid to stray and they don't have the funds to hire talent that can lead then forward. A live action movie is about the only way they could break free of the trap they're in.

That's really sad because some of those original bad guy designs are actually pretty cool. I certainly would not mind getting my hands on a quality Invid Hellcat, Scorpion Troopship or that speederbike the enforcer's were using.

I don't have much faith in live action versions of animated series.

17 hours ago, jvmacross said:

It's only "franchise suicide" if collectors stop buying them.....besides, I'm one of the "old folks"...so bring on more quality VF-1 rehashes! :rolleyes:

967a18d8.jpg

Hmm TN 2017 is coming up.

On 11/14/2017 at 10:06 AM, jvmacross said:

967a18d8.jpg

That beast looked transformable, but are there any shots of the ting in any other modes?

1 hour ago, peter said:

That beast looked transformable, but are there any shots of the ting in any other modes?

None as far as I know....hopefully Bandai has been busy tweaking it with things like "magic hands", built-in side and neck covers, retractable wings for battroid mode, sound effects for the GU-11 gunpod, and other gimmicks worthy of the one Valkyrie to rule them all!

3 hours ago, Convectuoso said:

That's not what the first posts on this page mean, i guess

It kind of is. I am mostly AMUSED by the lighting situation in the statue, not UPSET by it.

The second pic is, admittedly, the first thing that came to mind, though.

And the statue still needs a diffuser so you aren't obviously staring at an LED behind a window. Even lighting is important for this effect, and this is most of the actual problem with it, as well as what prompted me to comment on the whole thing in the first place. The Bandai one appears much better diffused.

And they still should've prioritized lighting the fire effects over the visor.

If Bandai's effort is as weak as either of the Robotech ones, I'll go ahead and laugh at it too. 

Edited by JB0

20 hours ago, Convectuoso said:

If that thing is ever released, let's see if people complain about the visor light, the same way they do when Robotech figures come with those lights 

Good point.  I hope Bandai dumps it's efforts to light up what is essentially a camera unit, not a flood lamp.  They should definitely focus on other areas. 

I see little point in emitting a dim green light from the camera/head unit when the Valk has two perfectly bright light emitters on its shoulders.

1 hour ago, electric indigo said:

Come on, we all know robots see with shining eyes...

0f19a626e88c667b4b1aa7f5e29cf863.gif

Lol, your post made me realize I'm critiquing the tactical deficiencies of a fictional jet that transforms into a robot.

I don't know why these turned out so so and the other Japanese anime properties from Prime 1 like Evangelion and Guyver turned out really good. I hope the delay on Ghost in the Shell means they are making something that we haven't seen before.

• 1 year later...
51 minutes ago, Robotch1985 said:

SK1 Battleoid was shown by P1 today.  Either a new sculpt or P1 reworked the original sculpt. The Battleoid shows 25 inches vs Guardian Mode that was 32 inches. I think P1 might have made Battloid not as big

sk1.jpg

Wow, that is a hot mess. BTW, why is it hovering over water when it's using space only FAST packs?