Prime 1 Studio Non-Scale VF-1

seti88

16 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

Might be overly nitpicky, but you'd think, being group so renowned for their attention to detail, they'd use actual source material instead of making up their own panel lines... <_<

Well, I guess, it's more like a 'Gundam' approach. Like they keep on adding stuff, details and such that wasn't there from before. And probably for that size it will just look 'simple' if they just based it on the original source. ;)

But as as far as realism goes, in that scale I don't think those panel line should be as deep like that, right? -_-

I like the Idea of the statues but I can't get over all the imaginary panel lines and details.

Though the Hasegawas VF-1's probably have a lot of imaginary panel lines that were retconned in nearly 20 years ago I'd prefer the Prime statues copied them instead of looking like some Gundamified Custom Valkyrie

2 minutes ago, Duymon said:

I like the Idea of the statues but I can't get over all the imaginary panel lines and details.

Though the Hasegawas VF-1's probably have a lot of imaginary panel lines that were retconned in nearly 20 years ago I'd prefer the Prime statues copied them instead of looking like some Gundamified Custom Valkyrie

And add rivets too. ^_^

3 minutes ago, Robotch1985 said:

Sure a bit over done, but when is there going to be a Veritech made again in statue form and in this scale. I have bought  lots and lots of statue in my many years of collecting that were not ideal ,but  I  just ignore the issue and get a nice piece.

What's a Veritech? :D

I jest, I jest.

1 hour ago, Duymon said:

2 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

Well, I guess, it's more like a 'Gundam' approach. Like they keep on adding stuff, details and such that wasn't there from before. And probably for that size it will just look 'simple' if they just based it on the original source. ;)

But as as far as realism goes, in that scale I don't think those panel line should be as deep like that, right? -_-

Hasegawa's panel lines get a pass because their etching is decently shallow, and their experience with real-world aircraft translates to realistic-looking VF panel lines.

Bandai tends to overdo it on the depth of their panels because they want to make them as visible as possible and/or as easy to fill as possible with Gundam Markers. The same seems to be the case here. Prime 1 doesn't have the same experience mimicking the real world that Hasegawa does. With subjects like Gundam, deep panel lines aren't much of a problem. But VFs are more realistic from their inception, so the same aesthetic doesn't look quite as good on them.

3 minutes ago, kajnrig said:

Bandai tends to overdo it on the depth of their panels because they want to make them as visible as possible and/or as easy to fill as possible with Gundam Markers. The same seems to be the case here. Prime 1 doesn't have the same experience mimicking the real world that Hasegawa does. With subjects like Gundam, deep panel lines aren't much of a problem. But VFs are more realistic from their inception, so the same aesthetic doesn't look quite as good on them.

See.. I don't believe that they don't have the same experience mimicking real world stuff.  That Wonder Woman statue is insanely detailed, and very finely crafted.

I think it's all down to source material, and what their basis is.  If they're going with the Bandai-ish "It's a robot that happens to turn into a jet" mindset, yeah, it's going to look like a gundam.  If they actually tried to make it look like a real aircraft with the parts jumbled around into a robot shape, yeah, I'm sure they could make it look that way too.

2 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

See.. I don't believe that they don't have the same experience mimicking real world stuff.  That Wonder Woman statue is insanely detailed, and very finely crafted.

I think it's all down to source material, and what their basis is.  If they're going with the Bandai-ish "It's a robot that happens to turn into a jet" mindset, yeah, it's going to look like a gundam.  If they actually tried to make it look like a real aircraft with the parts jumbled around into a robot shape, yeah, I'm sure they could make it look that way too.

Whoops. I should have said more specifically that Prime 1 lacks the experience mimicking real-world aircraft that Hasegawa has. I'm sure they could go for a more realistic look if they wanted to, but I also think it would have taken a bit more effort than going their own, more exaggerated, route. But speaking of exaggerated, I'm with others wondering why they decided to add their own details instead of simply following the already detail-rich source material. It IS a very Gundam-ish approach, and one that I honestly am a bit disappointed by. (Then again, I won't be buying this guy anyhow and it looks good anyway, so life goes on.)

7 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

Might be overly nitpicky, but you'd think, being group so renowned for their attention to detail, they'd use actual source material instead of making up their own panel lines... <_<

I don't think its nitpicky, too much deviation from source may spoil the perceived worth in authenticity. Whether its stylistically appealing or takes it to a new level is another separate discussion under artistic license.

• 1 month later...

I'm just amused by the "glowing eye" effect. As always, it bears pointing out that Valk eyes DO NOT GLOW. Not canonically, and not in any stylized animation shots. And while it can look cool anyways... there's not enough light diffusion here to make it look like the entire lens is glowing. It is very obviously a single LED. 

Seriously, put those LEDs in the thrusters so those big thrust effects glow instead. Right now, we have the odd situation where parts that  AREN'T supposed to glow do, and parts that ARE supposed to glow(because they are literally fire) don't.

Oh well. At least they made sure the entire head doesn't light up.

I have to admit, it surprisingly looks better in person. I like its beefy proportions. For better or worse, its proportions resemble vintage Macross promotional art. But the nosecone looks too pointy in guardian mode. I can understand that nosecone concessions have to be made with transforming toys, but it's unforgivable with fixed-pose statues. I also don't like the blue-tinted canopy. I didn't like it with the HMR VF-1J and I don't like it here either. They also messed up the Super Armor boosters. There shouldn't be interior panel lines for an insignia, insignia panels lines are only on the outside of the boosters. Normally I'd think that they did it as a cost-saving measure, but it looks like it's been molded as one solid piece. Speaking of panel lines, they went nuts with them. It reminds me of bad 90's artists who threw random cross-hatching and lines anywhere they could.

7 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

Prime 1 Studio presents Super VF-1J. Designed by Rob Liefeld.

Catchy. ;)

Hahaha nice one! 

The proportions are the main distraction here, perhaps bulkiness works better on figures in statue form rather than the valks.

maybe fighter mode would be sleeker. But gerwalk here as always ftw!

Someone remind me.. why do we keep getting Hikaru's VF-1J with fast packs again? :p 

But.. yeaaaah, ok, they're detailed, but those proportions and shapes really kinda suck.  Those might as well be SD versions.  The gerwalk one especially looks droopy and malformed.

I get it, they're stylized, but stylizing a character isn't the same as stylizing an aircraft/mecha hybrid.

Edit:  Also.. the gerwalk one has the pods on the intakes mounted backwards. <_< 

Edited by Chronocidal

The Gerwalk over water is pretty cool. But I never really liked that version of the VF-1 and overall both of these are kind of busy looking. These large scale statues for Macross and Mospeada are kind of disappointing. You would think they would come up with something iconic at that scale. Perhaps if someone makes a statue for Southern Cross the third time will be the charm.

Eh... I think you guys are letting your Robotech hate get the best of you. :p They look decent. Proportions could be better (though I have a feeling that in person they would look better), everything is bit too busy like JetJockey hit on the head, the detailing is too stark (and the choice of details makes them give off a decidedly more Robotech feel than Macross), and a Super Gerwalk wouldn't be skating along the water's surface like that. And call it a personal nitpick, but the exhaust should be blue-white, not orange.

I feel like they could have stuck to some more iconic poses, or at least chosen a scene that more closely sticks to the source material. The bases they've gone with are just generic sci-fi backgrounds, and while the water brings to mind DYRL's sea battle against Milia et al, the configuration of the Valk (Fast packs attached) is wrong for the situation.

Remove the Super parts, splay the legs out for a more aggressive A stance, and maybe tilt the "thighs" back so that they're bending back more instead of hanging almost vertical, and I think the Gerwalk statue is successful.

The Battroid... Make the head either look up at where it's going or down at what it's trying not to crash into instead of vaguely to its left, and the problems with the proportions and such can largely be ignored.

I don't even mind the fast packs, colors, or poses.  I just think that if you're going to do a statue of something that's supposed to be an aircraft, it had better not look like it's sagging from sitting out in the heat too long, and it had better have the correct proportions to actually look accurate.  This one's got problems with both.  The wings look like they're going to fall off, the entire fuselage looks kinda cockeyed, and the huge honking panel lines are doing no one any favors.

Like, I guess my thing is that if you're going to stylize an aircraft, stylize it without losing the idea that it's a rigid structure.  This almost looks like a caricature, because of the goofy huge thick wings and missiles, and how saggy they look.  I can tell there's a lot of work put into it, but it just doesn't look good as an aircraft.  I'd much rather have a professionally built Hasegawa kit mounted in that pose.

Edited by Chronocidal

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...