The SDFM 40th Anniversary Pictorial Celebration through Diorama and Photoshop

jvmacross

Nice SH9000, thanks.... but... Just a couple of things. Please try to keep the camera low to the ground. This gives the sensation of a grandiose, big object. Look at the angle of the tank in the animation clip above. You can barely see the top of the tank. Honestly i would prefer the tank is in a different picture, or not there at all. We can include a real tank instead. I wish the background was more contrasting, so the work load would be lighter. [this is why they use green/blue screens in movies. 

The poses are great! The camera angle is just a bit high imho.

Look at this picture below, the camera angle is low. You cannot see the top of the robot's chest. Or the top of the arms. If you noticed, in the Tv show, they tried to keep the camera low too. It gives the impression the spectator is at or close to ground level. 

buildingsc.jpg

post-48-1197649147.jpg

Edited by vlenhoff

12 minutes ago, vlenhoff said:

Nice SH9000, thanks.... but... Just a couple of things. Please try to keep the camera low to the ground. This gives the sensation of a grandiose, big object. Look at the angle of the tank in the animation clip above. You can barely see the top of the tank. Honestly i would prefer the tank is in a different picture, or not there at all. We can include a real tank instead. I wish the background was more contrasting, so the work load would be lighter. [this is why they use green/blue screens in movies. 

The poses are great! The camera angle is just a bit high imho.

Look at this picture below, the camera angle is low. You cannot see the top of the robot's chest. Or the top of the arms. If you noticed, in the Tv show, they tried to keep the camera low too. It gives the impression the spectator is at or close to ground level. 

buildingsc.jpg

Good tips!  I'll keep those in mind when taking pics for this project.  I guess it also depends on the shot being worked on too.

How's that KIA Zentran pic coming along?

zentraedi-on-ground.png

Oh absolutely, an overhead shot will have to inevitably be shot from the top. When recreating the war in the streets of Macross island, most of the city pictures we will find are from ground level. Most buildings seem so destroyed photographers are often in the streets taking these pictures. Maybe if we get a picture from a higher level, then the angle would work. BTW, the dead Zentran's legs do look a bit silly in that position, and i am not so sure about the angle. I'll give it a shot anyway...

1 minute ago, vlenhoff said:

Oh absolutely, an overhead shot will have to inevitably be shot from the top. When recreating the war in the streets of Macross island, most of the city pictures we will find are from ground level. Most buildings seem so destroyed photographers are often in the streets taking these pictures. Maybe if we get a picture from a higher level, then the angle would work. BTW, the dead Zentran's legs do look a bit silly in that position, and i am not so sure about the angle. I'll give it a shot anyway...

If you want me to retake/reframe/reposition the shot let me know....thanks!

I think it will be ok. this is just a very early test shot. I need to remove Hikaru's 1D's arm too. IIRC, he lost it just before this encounter. 

test shot.jpg

edit in: sorry guys, i don't mean to sound too picky. I am having fun with it, and i just feel we could make it look really really cool, so why not try... Most of my stuff is currently packed up, so I don't have my CF's available. Even my broken head-laser 1/48 CF is packed away. That is my most harassed valk to date. Gravity broke its laser, so I use it as my Valk-bish :p

Oh heck, i might unpack it, you guys make me want to play with my valks, ha.

Edited by vlenhoff

looking good.....

I wonder if shrinking the toy pic a little more will help it scale better with the background buildings, especially those behind Roy....

Or, based on the reference pic from the show....maybe just tighten up the shot?

zentraedi-on-ground.png

large.58c1a24c78ac4_zentrandown.JPG.826a

you are right...his arm was blown away.....the devil is in the details! :girl_devil:

Took some pics for this scene....

large.image002.jpg.fed9a065642d9d2f7e878

large.20170307_211359.jpg.a3d1d440a089af

large.20170307_211519.jpg.ae564ca8c193e7

Thought this background might work....

large.58c1cb5c998fd_battledamagebuilding

Also thinking ahead with this one....but haven't thought about what to use for a background.....was thinking some hanger or large warehouse pic....

ep26_exsedol_lands.png

large.20170307_214112(1).jpg.a041e2c7dd6

large.20170307_214022(1).jpg.464b07f5d27

large.20170307_213751(2).jpg.185f06f0a74

Finally.....was thinking of combining HMR and Toynami regults for this scene......Staging for the assault on South Ataria!

Regult_Light_Missile_Carrier-2_Regult_Ta

I would need to dig out my Toynami small/large missile regults....unless SH9000 has them out already....:rolleyes:

large.20170307_213616(1).jpg.f2f3d9b5650

large.20170307_212934(1).jpg.e2a850833c0

large.20170307_213047(1).jpg.c6fbd7339eb

Maybe a background like this, think it matches the anime scene well.....was trying to search for backgrounds for south pacific islands but couldn't find anything that matched....will try to find something better.....

desert_background_stock_by_humblebeez-d3

Ha those are nice JTVmacross. Mickyg, i've been watching episodes to, lol. We can finally recreate those wars in photoshop!

edit in: again, keep the camera glued to the ground. These are huge mecha. Keep the camera low!

pretty please... If you noticed in the screen shots you provided, the camera is low. Under the nose of the valks, if you notice. The second one, you can still notice the camera is low too.

The poses of the valks & enemy mecha are great! YOU double shouldered valks people! camera very low is all thats needed.

Edited by vlenhoff

I was trying to replicate this shot:

robotech_vf1a_max_inside_sdf1.png.bac4e5ceb50824fd3a53834fee9198e4.png

but i couldn't find a perfect background, so I've been trying different options. So far, the best I got was to combine a Tokyo street with a warehouse ceiling:

Max.thumb.png.334adada7079cec8080df2afd835e926.png

A previous idea was to use a shopping gallery:

Max.thumb.png.9b219479e42fb08c42be00854a1833a5.png

but still not convinced

yeah, that one is tough....I also was searching for a good background, but I think it will need to be a combination of several photos.....you first need a street shot in just the right angle....then you need some pics of fairly modern-ish looking buildings in the same angle as the street scene.....I think this one might work in terms of the street's angle...but I do not like the buildings.

3001028_poultry-after-revamp.jpg

maybe the blue-ish top part of this building can be added...

326728477.JPEG

This one has a matching angle too and looks good for the part I think...

building-facade.jpg

Then you need some for the opposite side of the street....

stringio.jpg

I like your idea of using a warehouse ceiling pic.....maybe a pic of hanger ceiling or aircraft carrier hanger cieling?

yep....it will be a challenge to compose this iconic shot from SDFM....

On 3/10/2017 at 1:03 AM, vlenhoff said:

Ha those are nice JTVmacross. Mickyg, i've been watching episodes to, lol. We can finally recreate those wars in photoshop!

edit in: again, keep the camera glued to the ground. These are huge mecha. Keep the camera low!

pretty please... If you noticed in the screen shots you provided, the camera is low. Under the nose of the valks, if you notice. The second one, you can still notice the camera is low too.

The poses of the valks & enemy mecha are great! YOU double shouldered valks people! camera very low is all thats needed.

these any better for these pics

large.image002.jpg.fed9a065642d9d2f7e878

large.image001.png.2111e3c0fcd7964951da9

ep26_exsedol_lands.png

....we'll get them right for you sooner or later! :rolleyes:

large.20170310_223801.jpg.eeb3b05045a584

large.20170310_223618.jpg.f53590168c7a17

large.20170310_223512.jpg.b9f930e8c2c453

large.20170310_223144.jpg.b5316c41aea93a

large.20170310_223022.jpg.5eaacf104bb35b

large.20170310_222925.jpg.70462bf786b28a

large.20170310_222802.jpg.5453b4070902f3

On 3/9/2017 at 3:05 PM, jvmacross said:

From Episode 2: Countdown....As seen on TV!

Excellent work once again!

I could not have done it with out you guys. Sh9000 and You had the patience, and time to help me do it. Thanks guys!

[Any grammar nazi's here, please help me out if the sentence above has any problems]

Edited by vlenhoff

This one is nice. The camera is nice and low. You can see the curvature of the chest from bellow, and that black hip ring area arc down in every shot.

low camera final.jpg

This is something i have always loved about Macross. They tried to give us that low angle. As if we were looking at these machines fight right there in the city.

Good job everyone, and i see you guys tried to include just a bit of the head, so it looks cool. This is what the valks would look in real life. The animae magic always finds room for the head to show up perfectly  in every shot, lol. Again, beautiful work Sh9000 & JTVMacross!

I'll try to put them together soon. I've been horrendously busy.

Edited by vlenhoff

• 5 months later...

Just a tip.  When posting elements for these dioramas, it is best to post the highest resolution you can find.  It is easier to down-res an image in PS than it is to up-res one.  Down-resing keeps the details of the hires image, while at a certain point up-resing an image creates jagged edges and unwanted artifacts. 

Edited by Zinjo

• 1 year later...
30 minutes ago, vlenhoff said:

streetb.jpg.a7908c7c1198ee2db392864cc7afe302.jpg58769496_twoshotb.jpg.429c173c724348216d1d400ed359b52d.jpgbuildingsc.jpg.a55b948816d2802a16a90ab03f6e0c8c.jpg362992920_deadzentran.jpg.00b5d1bddb58d4b94de735a7142f363a.jpgsh9000g.jpg.1ca66bfc4beac4aafbb830fe27cae639.jpgMaybe we should revisit this idea...

Yes...the problem was that guys with cool Macross toys and the willingness to pose them were a dime a dozen.....guys with your photoshop skills and the time to devote them to this project were...well, just you! :good:

Anyway...what was created was great, so hopefully more can be posted!

13 hours ago, jvmacross said:

I'd like to see this one....

Regult_Light_Missile_Carrier-2_Regult_Ta

I think this background would work for it.....

desert_background_stock_by_humblebeez-d3

With thre exception of the Scout Regult....everything else can be posed and photoshop'd into it...

I’ll try it.  Took out a Glaug, Missile Regult, and 3 Regults.

6 hours ago, jvmacross said:

Cool...maybe sub the Scout Regult for the Large Missile Regult?

Orrrr...find someone who somehow managed to make a halfway good looking Regult Scout model a few years back..feel free to use if helpful! 

scout1.jpg

scout2.jpg