What do I need to learn in order to 3D print things? Where do I go to learn?

Dax415

Hi guys, I would really like to learn how to 3D print but don't know where to start.  I'm hoping those of you more knowledgeable/experienced can help get me started and avoid any unnecessary pitfalls.  As a first project I would like to make some custom dice.  I know the style I want (see pic below), mine will have a wolf head and different styled numbers on a 6 sided die, I like the raised number effect with the color underneath, but don't know how to make it happen.  Help appreciated!  Thanks!

Dice idea.jpg

Edited by Dax415

This is not really hard. I can explain a few steps in detail:

1) make the general geometry of the dice, 6-side dice would be a cube, pretty easy with any 3D cad software.

2) draw / write the letters and wolf head on a surface, raise the letter and the head with the cad tool called "push/pull". Then copy paste them on each face of the cube dice.

3) make a few "push/pull" to create the contouring of each number.

4) upload it to a 3D printing service that can print in laser sintering metal (Shaepways equivalent would be "steel"), order one.

5) darken the steel dice with , which ever method you prefer: search google for "steel darkening method"

6) with a sand paper, clean the extruding numbers and geomtries.

done

I think it's worth mentioning that 3D printing isn't magic. It's just another tool and like most tools there is a broad range where it could be used but a fairly narrow range where it's the best tool for the job.

Also while the quality and availability of different technology has been greatly improving over the years there is still manual cleanup necessary for pretty much all of it. Keep the amount of manual work in mind when doing cost/benefit for picking a technology/printing service.

• 2 weeks later...
Spoiler

I agree with TMBounty_hunter , and those fine details on the dice , will not as easy as you think . The better the 3D-printer , the less work you need to afterwards .

Edited by Rodavan