Arcadia 1/60 SV-51 Ivanov

Valkyrie addict

5 hours ago, David Hingtgen said:

<snip>

I pre-ordered this, this is what was shown at every retailer soliciting pre-orders:

8E8.jpg

Slate grey-blue and ghost grey, not royal blue and white.  (yes, the main color is just PART of it---the undersides shouldn't be pure snow white, but more like DYRL grey) 

I think I've only seen Arcadia's VF-0D in that iconic slate-grey blue in photoshop, and after @wm cheng put a ton of time and effort into modifying his copy. Did Arcadia ever display it like that out in the wild?

Here's Mr. K working on the protoype (in the VF-0D thread): 

Mr. K chooses whatever blue is nearby

The paint he's using looks pretty close to the final retail color. Scrolling down from that post, Tober shopped the blue to a corrected shade and hue, which is closer to the marketing photos DH shared above. Anyway, if Arcadia ever decides to release an anime accurate 0D using that color palette, I'll buy it again. With luck, it will also come with other fixes like Roy's VF-0S.

But yeah, if there's one thing that Arcadia doesn't have to change on the SV-51, it's the paint. I'm hoping they won't rock the boat too much, with regard to the visuals, if we end up getting both Ivanov and Nora.

Edited by technoblue

15 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

But.. your target audience contains a not-insignificant percentage of aircraft collectors.  These are the types of people who will rake collectibles manufacturers over the coals for misplacing a panel line.

I’m not sure about this statement. Even in this board, there aren’t very many who are that particular with those smallest of details. 

Personally for me, if it looks good, then I’m perfectly fine with it. I am very much open to less screen accuracy if the final result is better looking IMO. A couple of recent examples are the Metal Build line and the Riobot line, who take creative liberties with the source material. Same is true for Fewture (aka ArtStorm).

And while my dad was a pilot, I wanted to be a pilot, and I love airplanes, what got me into Macross wasn’t just the jets. It was that these jets transformed into robots. Just seeing the jets is boring, kinda like what happened to me in Delta where 90% of the time they never transformed out of fighter mode.

2 hours ago, ArchieNov said:

I’m not sure about this statement. Even in this board, there aren’t very many who are that particular with those smallest of details. 

Personally for me, if it looks good, then I’m perfectly fine with it. I am very much open to less screen accuracy if the final result is better looking IMO. A couple of recent examples are the Metal Build line and the Riobot line, who take creative liberties with the source material. Same is true for Fewture (aka ArtStorm).

And while my dad was a pilot, I wanted to be a pilot, and I love airplanes, what got me into Macross wasn’t just the jets. It was that these jets transformed into robots. Just seeing the jets is boring, kinda like what happened to me in Delta where 90% of the time they never transformed out of fighter mode.

Well said! Bottom line is there are all types of tastes and types of people so someone is always going to complain no matter what. I grew up close to military airbases and worked at one for a long time. I spent a lot of my childhood hanging out next to the airstrip watching fighters take off and land, built models and even took flying lessons to become a pilot. Valks are cartoon based fiction that I like for many other reasons and the way animation and color calibration works (or doesn’t work), it’s futile to expect perfect replication of something that is inconsistent. As long as something looks good to me, that’s great. I also usually prefer the “director’s cut” for things that further represent what the creator intended but might not have been able to present originally for whatever reason. So far, the design I’ve seen for the upcoming SV-51 looks good to me and I will most likely buy one!

Edited by Slave IV

I guess some are still sore about the color of a toy that came out over three years ago? :unknw:

That's alright, I'm only just now getting over Bandai's terrible initial VF-25 line. Remember how in school your teacher told you that if you got a zero, it would take three 100s to bring it to a passing grade? Well, Bandai got out a lot of zeroes back then. :p

In any case, I'm still hoping for a PF release of the 0D, even if the shade of blue used isn't "perfect." :)

20 hours ago, David Hingtgen said:

Very much so.  See MP-03 Starscream.  Kawamori seems to like "revising" things lately, that people are asking for "what we grew up seeing, and know exactly what it looks like". 

Frankly--I do not care if Kawamori prefers a Blue VF-0D.   It wasn't blue.   If he wanted it blue, he should have demanded it be so about 15 years ago.   

Also, and even more importantly IMHO---IT WAS PERFECTLY ON-SCREEN-ACCURATE AT THE SAMPLE STAGE.  IT WAS *CHANGED* to be blue.  It wasn't that "they tried matching the anime/canon/consensus coloring, and failed" ---they had it dead-on.   Then the final production version, was completely different.  More so than anything ever gets changed due to "final factory paint-mix was a smidge off from the sample"---it was changed, intentionally, to be inaccurate.  Changing something to knowingly make it inaccurate, when the correct version has already been done/prepared.  That irks me to no end. 

I pre-ordered this, this is what was shown at every retailer soliciting pre-orders:

8E8.jpg

Slate grey-blue and ghost grey, not royal blue and white.  (yes, the main color is just PART of it---the undersides shouldn't be pure snow white, but more like DYRL grey) 

arcadia announce a premium 0D?

On ‎11‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 9:09 AM, ArchieNov said:

"The main overall color" is not a small detail.  Would people accept a rust-colored or wine-colored Milia?  Baby-blue or midnight blue Max VF-1J?   

If you can identify an issue, through a very blurry, tiny 100x100 little pic, then it's not minor. 

2 hours ago, David Hingtgen said:

"The main overall color" is not a small detail.  Would people accept a rust-colored or wine-colored Milia?  Baby-blue or midnight blue Max VF-1J?   

If you can identify an issue, through a very blurry, tiny 100x100 little pic, then it's not minor. 

You’re probably more color-intensive than most men are. I know I’m not. I don’t really put much value on whether something is hot pink, warm pink, or whatever else kind of shade or gradient of pink it is. For me, pink is pink. In fact, it was only because of my wife did I realize that all these shades of pink had different names. And to answer your question, yes, I would most likely be fine with any of those color variations you mentioned for Max and Millia.

Anyway, my point is it’s hard to say that majority of collectors put as much emphasis on these kinds of details if in the end more people still bought it anyway rather than those who didn’t because of things like the color shade or inaccurate panel lines. There are other more important details to be concerned with.

Yes, that’s simply how I feel. I’m too glad these things are being made at all to quibble over paint hue. 

What grinds my gears are differences in overall shape, gross changes in transformation, and not including accessories or add-ons that should be included, Super parts and the like excepted. 

12 minutes ago, jenius said:

Their Garland seemed to do well and I they sell girly figures to... People that are totally not perverts.

Might be those Garlands cause also in the Facebook page there are recent pictures of a new Megazone 23 Garland, along side some AA Gokins not sure about those Arcadia Girly figures didn't know they produce that type as well :D 

This always bugged me about the Yamato---the fin sticking off the forearm at an angle:

image.png

Is the Sv-51 supposed to be like that?  Or is Arcadia just copying the Yamato's flaw, and the tailfin is supposed to lay flat and flush against the forearm in battroid mode? 

On 11/7/2018 at 6:23 PM, Chronocidal said:

This is starting to verge on George Lucas-ish revisionism.  "It's not accurate, but I like the new version better."  So.... what you're saying is, "Screw the people who wanted what they saw on the screen."

I feel like if we were talking about paintings, or art, or something, this wouldn't be such a big deal.  But.. your target audience contains a not-insignificant percentage of aircraft collectors.  These are the types of people who will rake collectibles manufacturers over the coals for misplacing a panel line.

But eh.  Honestly, the changes to the colors and paint schemes don't bother me half so much as the attitude or lack of effort behind them.  If you're going to make a collectible, stick to the source material, and give people what they expect, not some 15-years-later alteration because the designer changed his mind.  "I don't like stovepipe hats anymore, so I'm changing Lincoln's hat to a Stetson."

Frankly speaking, they need to stop asking Kawamori to okay things, and just use their freakin' eyes.  <_< 

On 11/7/2018 at 6:57 PM, David Hingtgen said:

Very much so.  See MP-03 Starscream.  Kawamori seems to like "revising" things lately, that people are asking for "what we grew up seeing, and know exactly what it looks like". 

Frankly--I do not care if Kawamori prefers a Blue VF-0D.   It wasn't blue.   If he wanted it blue, he should have demanded it be so about 15 years ago.   

Also, and even more importantly IMHO---IT WAS PERFECTLY ON-SCREEN-ACCURATE AT THE SAMPLE STAGE.  IT WAS *CHANGED* to be blue.  It wasn't that "they tried matching the anime/canon/consensus coloring, and failed" ---they had it dead-on.   Then the final production version, was completely different.  More so than anything ever gets changed due to "final factory paint-mix was a smidge off from the sample"---it was changed, intentionally, to be inaccurate.  Changing something to knowingly make it inaccurate, when the correct version has already been done/prepared.  That irks me to no end. 

8E8.jpg

I agree with both of you guys. From what I was told years ago, Yamato and now Arcadia, can't release something without Kawamori signing off on it. I too, prefer the way the VF-0D looked onscreen. I think the best solution would be to release 2 versions, the standard Kawamori preferred version and an anime accurate version.

Though I get the feeling the anime accurate version will also be the Premium version for 10000yen more.

10 minutes ago, David Hingtgen said:

This always bugged me about the Yamato---the fin sticking off the forearm at an angle:

image.png

Is the Sv-51 supposed to be like that?  Or is Arcadia just copying the Yamato's flaw, and the tailfin is supposed to lay flat and flush against the forearm in battroid mode? 

Hard to tell....in Kawamori's 3/4 linework....the angle of stabilizers inwards to the forearms can't be seen....

I'm really mostly interested in getting a Nora version, buuuuuuuuut...

I don't want to risk missing getting a 51, so I'll probably get Ivanov just in case they don't do Nora's.

I missed out on getting a VF-0D at retail (or any VF-0), so I don't want to take any chances with the 51.

Edited by iguanaman8989

35 minutes ago, apptt4 said:

yes one for each mode. my only concern is they later release the Premium Finish forcing :db: me to upgrade...

That can be true. But for me, Arcadia's basic 'price point' is already Premium enough for me to bother getting the actual 'Premium' release. :db:

23 hours ago, Lolicon said:

I'd rather they just announce both versions like they did with Max & Miria so those of us who want the PF version can skip the regular release. 

Alas, no more discount coupons so I might actually have to pay full price for the SV-51. :(

ohhhh did they? I started collecting Macross in March of this year, I didn't realise they made that announcement. that's awesome, hopefully this policy will continue.

1 hour ago, davidwhangchoi said:

the black looks horrendous... more like grey. i don't think arcadia is good w/ colors 

57 minutes ago, wmkjr said:

I think it's the Ivanov low viz version. :p

Hopefully they'll have a painted one up at WF2019 winter .

21 minutes ago, davidwhangchoi said:

:D

Nope... You're all completely wrong in all accounts. Its in Stealth Mode. :lol:

From all the pictures so far, I am still on the fence about this SV-51. I think I will have to wait until there is a review to really gauge if this will truly be worth acquiring. Yes there might be improvements but just how many to justify the newer higher cost?