Arcadia 1/60 SV-51 Ivanov

Valkyrie addict

I just checked my account. Of course it just shipped. I didn't get a notification. Looks like I'm playing the foot lottery!

Maybe I'll get lucky and it will be the opposite of the one I already have and I can just swap the feet between the two.

21 minutes ago, Mommar said:

AE finally got back to me.  They said if I provide a picture they’ll get replacement parts for me if I pay the shipping.

I wish my business could get away with that level of customer service (poor).

I emailed HLJ as mine is in private warehouse. I asked if they would check my SV for the defect before shipping.  I’ll be damned if I’m paying shipping AND import tax TWICE just to get a “good one”. 

The SV-51 is one of my favorite valks, and I still have my old Yammie standing tall on the display shelf. I seldom ever touch it, and if memory serves, never had any issues with it since I opened it and transformed it a few times. It's been in battroid ever since. Of course, it suffers the same weak hip joints that most Yamato 51s did, so I don't consider that an issue per se. To the point, are there enough updates with the Arcadia to warrant buying a copy if the original Yamato is still in good shape?

Heard back from AmiAmi. They offered a refund with the return, as they are getting a lot of reports on this and cannot guarantee a replacement being problem free. Nothing about covering shipping nor any discount as some other stores are doing. Guess I’ll just keep it. Not worth the hassle or extra expense. Disappointed by this. 

Chris

2 hours ago, nightmareB4macross said:

Paint rubbing is now an issue?

You can prevent this paint rub, if you make sure to bend one side of the double-hinge first, and then the other.

This is what I have two of, where the attachment is on the left-side.

20190911_120632.thumb.jpg.a9282a8dc07c8e6d1b1fc5d407e52ccb.jpg

In other news, I contacted Arcadia directly (I have a Tenso Address and Arcadia store account). They actually replied back, and it sounds like it might be possible to get a replacement part from them via the Tenso address.

6 hours ago, sqidd said:

@Sanity is Optional I still don't know how to tell if they're two left or two right. I have two of something, if they're L and R, I don't know.

Can you post a pic up of what you're calling 2L or 2R. Maybe I have the opposite you do and we can swap.

The pic with the proper install shows the part with the indent on the inside in fighter on the left side.  I'd call it Fighter L or Battroid R.

20 minutes ago, Sanity is Optional said:

You can prevent this paint rub, if you make sure to bend one side of the double-hinge first, and then the other.

Or.. you know... Arcadia could have prevented it by molding the parts in the proper freaking color.  :angry:  That sort of issue right there is a pile of stupid that I thought we were long past.  What sort of incomprehensible logic would ever lead someone to produce a black transforming aircraft by molding it in white, and expecting the black paint on the joints to hold up??

Tempted to just tell HLJ that I don't want my warehouse copy, because of the problems.  I might just eat the re-stocking fee, and see if I can buy one in a fire sale once all the issues finish driving the demand and value into the dirt. <_<   Seriously, wtf is with this?

Edited by Chronocidal

19 minutes ago, Sanity is Optional said:

This is what I have two of, where the attachment is on the left-side.

20190911_120632.thumb.jpg.a9282a8dc07c8e6d1b1fc5d407e52ccb.jpg

In other news, I contacted Arcadia directly (I have a Tenso Address and Arcadia store account). They actually replied back, and it sounds like it might be possible to get a replacement part from them via the Tenso address.

Mine are the same as yours. Twinsies!:wub::p

I'm just gonna point out that the 0A and 0D had far worse issues (maybe just IMO) but that didn't hurt the value of those much.

I won't see my 51 for a while since I shipped it via ferry but already expecting to get two left feet and no reasonable way of rectifying it. I hope it all works out for me, lol.

20 minutes ago, Slave IV said:

I'm just gonna point out that the 0A and 0D had far worse issues (maybe just IMO) but that didn't hurt the value of those much.

I won't see my 51 for a while since I shipped it via ferry but already expecting to get two left feet and no reasonable way of rectifying it. I hope it all works out for me, lol.

See, I don't know if I'd call those worse exactly?  People were able to develop a fix for the bad hip design, so they didn't need factory replacement parts, but the foot issues here seem much harder to fix, even if they aren't as catastrophic (unless you happen to be one of the lucky ones whose feet fell clean off).  Sanding down that foot mount so it fits cockeyed inside the leg doesn't seem like a good solution from a structural perspective.

Though, looking back, I suppose it's some kind of a tradition that first release Ivanov Sv-51s involve mix-ups with left and right parts. :lol:  At least with the Yamato mix-up, you could trim the wing hinges to work on both sides.

Honestly, I probably wouldn't notice the ankle issue much over time, but I'm actually fairly pissed about the white parts being painted black, and might use the ankle problems as a more solid reason to cancel my order.  It's a solid black aircraft.  Why on earth would you ever mold any part of it in white plastic, let alone moving parts that rub against each other?

Edited by Chronocidal

2 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

See, I don't know if I'd call those worse exactly?  People were able to develop a fix for the bad hip design, so they didn't need factory replacement parts, but the foot issues here seem much harder to fix, even if they aren't as catastrophic (unless you happen to be one of the lucky ones whose feet fell clean off).  Sanding down that foot mount so it fits cockeyed inside the leg doesn't seem like a good solution from a structural perspective.

Though, looking back, I suppose it's some kind of a tradition that first release Ivanov Sv-51s involve mix-ups with left and right parts. :lol:  At least with the Yamato mix-up, you could trim the wing hinges to work on both sides.

To me, the hip issue and what you had to do to fix it was way worse. Basically, you had a non-functioning at all Valk that you had to do major surgery on to fix. This issue can basically be ignored if you just use the double hinges to align the feet. Seems like at worst, you might have to sand two parts that you can't ever see and glue them back together.

Either way, it's wack.:lol:

54 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

Or.. you know... Arcadia could have prevented it by molding the parts in the proper freaking color.  :angry:  That sort of issue right there is a pile of stupid that I thought we were long past.  What sort of incomprehensible logic would ever lead someone to produce a black transforming aircraft by molding it in white, and expecting the black paint on the joints to hold up??

It's a metal part, can't really mold that in the proper color without making it plastic.

I 100% prefer metal in these high-stress locations, even if it means paint rubbing.

[edit] For clarity, the slightly glossier finish is because it's not paint, it's a "powder-coat", which is essentially a thin layer of plastic dust applied to the surface, and then backed on to form a thin solid layer of plastic.

Edited by Sanity is Optional

Ugh.  Fair point, I stand corrected, but I'm still disappointed that they decided that particular joint needed to be metal.  The more metal involved in a valk, the less likely I am to ever transform it, specifically to avoid all the wear and tear on painted metal joints.  It's not so bad on lighter colored ones, but the solid black just makes it stick out terribly.

I suppose things like that could be treated so the metal is darker, but your typical diecast piece probably isn't nearly that expensive or fancy. :lol: 

Edited by Chronocidal

7 hours ago, anubis20 said:

I know thats not the perfect solution but I would gladly take that option over the radio silence HLJ has given me :unsure:

It’s as good as it gets.  I’ll take it.  I’d rather not a full replacement, I’ve already decaled the hell out if this one.

Edited by Mommar

2 hours ago, Sanity is Optional said:

It really makes no sense when you consider that these are made on runners, and both sets are probably on the same runner.

Maybe there was a molding error, and they tossed a bunch of mis-molded right ankles?

Heh, I was thinking about this exact thing earlier today.  Like, if it were totally random, shouldn't we be seeing something like a normal distribution of errors?  So 25% RR, 25% LL, 25% RL (right on the left side, left on the right), and 25% correct.  At least something close to that.  But based on what we are seeing, there are hardly any that are correct.  So there must have been something systematically wrong, in the production and/or assembly process.  My guess would be the assembly part, but there is no way to know.  

I think this lends maybe a touch of credibility to what @Slave IV said about intentionally bad production.  It doesn't prove it outright, but I'm really struggling to imagine a situation in which this could be a just individual error.  This has to be something systematically wrong in the production process.  But I doubt we'll ever know.

Edited by HardlyNever

41 minutes ago, HardlyNever said:

Heh, I was thinking about this exact thing earlier today.  Like, if it were totally random, shouldn't we be seeing something like a normal distribution of errors?  So 25% RR, 25% LL, 25% RL (right on the left side, left on the right), and 25% correct.  At least something close to that.  But based on what we are seeing, there are hardly any that are correct.  So there must have been something systematically wrong, in the production and/or assembly process.  My guess would be the assembly part, but there is no way to know.  

I think this lends maybe a touch of credibility to what @Slave IV said about intentionally bad production.  It doesn't prove it outright, but I'm really struggling to imagine a situation in which this could be a just individual error.  This has to be something systematically wrong in the production process.  But I doubt we'll ever know.

61.png:D:p

Edited by sqidd

On 9/12/2019 at 3:55 PM, NeoVanguard said:

Mine are exactly like your picture,  but my ankle part is correct in my version , just like ArchieNov's

so it's the right / normal one and supposed to be that way? my ankle parts is correct too, just wondering if this part is supposed to be this way.

Although I still have hope 

Been realistic I doubt HLJ want help because the answer is request pics of the problem when at this time Arcadia already recognized their error 

and then what is for the stupid code that comes?
not supposed that is for these situations?

and the stores simply would have to request our codes and send to Arcadia get the spares and notify us

So, I did manage to get somewhere contacting Arcadia directly, though they do not currently have any parts available to send out as replacement parts.

Hopefully at some point if they have spares they'll be willing to send a set to my Tenso forwarding address.

5 hours ago, Sanity is Optional said:

So, I did manage to get somewhere contacting Arcadia directly, though they do not currently have any parts available to send out as replacement parts.

Hopefully at some point if they have spares they'll be willing to send a set to my Tenso forwarding address.

Can you keep me in mind as this unfolds? I like the spare parts option. Thanks!