Arcadia 1/60 SV-51 Ivanov

Valkyrie addict

Help please! Is this a misassembly issue or are they all like this. One of the feet in fighter mode ends up crooked on mine. I noticed the ankle piece or whatever you call it is offset to one side and they look the same way on both feet. It looks like they are mean to be offset towards opposite sides. See the pics below.

0A6BAA25-7D24-4DA9-BFF6-2A034CE41705.jpeg

6BA0EFCB-4D20-43CF-9B56-7A8089A103B3.jpeg

So I finally transformed my copy for the first time today, only to find out that the joint that attaches the wing assembly to the left side of the body, behind the shoulder joint in battroid mode, is loose and can’t hold the wing assembly in the up position. I’ve attached a pic of the area and circled the problematic joint. It’s a hollow pin hinge joint. Does anyone have any ideas as how to tighten hollow pin joints? I’ve tried floor polish but so far it hasn’t been a good fix. Thanks! 

EB737DAF-1656-4602-B074-BFA150BBD520.jpeg

44 minutes ago, whitestar said:

So I finally transformed my copy for the first time today, only to find out that the joint that attaches the wing assembly to the left side of the body, behind the shoulder joint in battroid mode, is loose and can’t hold the wing assembly in the up position. I’ve attached a pic of the area and circled the problematic joint. It’s a hollow pin hinge joint. Does anyone have any ideas as how to tighten hollow pin joints? I’ve tried floor polish but so far it hasn’t been a good fix. Thanks! 

EB737DAF-1656-4602-B074-BFA150BBD520.jpeg

Is that a hollow metal pin?

1 hour ago, scand said:

I have new favorite Valkyrie. Anyone know how to get the tabs out to mount the boosters. It seems almost impossible with out damaging the plastic.

Can't you just use the booster's pegs and push up from under the wing?

Checked mine (that I just picked up finally) and looks like I have the same hinge being a little loose. It still feels solid, but there's not much friction in the joint.

Haven't actually transformed to see how much it affects posing. My feet are alright though, so there's that.

Gotta say it's a big and impressive figure in-hand.

[edit] Found one of the wing-root pieces was slightly mis-assembled. Had to undo a screw, shave a damaged peg slightly, and fit it back together before re-inserting the screw. Relatively quick and painless fix.

Edited by Sanity is Optional

So I think the glue is just to hold it in place while the rivets are expanded and do the lion's share of the work. Unfortunately it looks like the rivets on mine aren't expanded enough to hold. I've emailed the seller, and fortunately it was a company with decent customer service.

1 hour ago, davidwhangchoi said:

Reading all these problems, this is horsesh!t. Paying near 400 and these problems on a 2nd version of design

Yeah, but they don't own the factory. I don't think any of the problems so far sound like problems with the design. Unfortunately, manufacture issues on a first release are pretty common and Arcadia will have to deal with the returns and issues and use those to guide the factory on the second production run... and even then, there's no guarantees.

Honestly, the foot thing I could fix myself if I wanted to spend time on it. Sandpaper both surfaces and a bit of JB Weld or Scotchweld.

I'd just rather have one where I didn't have to fix it. Since judging by the design if it's put together properly it ought to be stronger than what I can do with epoxy and sandpaper.

I just opened mine and did a preliminary QC check. Things look okay so far, but haven't really transformed it or put it through its paces yet.

I do think the wing design is a significant step back though. For some reason, Arcadia didn't bother putting a single locking tab on them. I thought the floppy wings were the most problematic area of the Yamato, so I'm baffled why they chose not just to leave it as before, but even removed the old locking tab. I can definitely see this becoming floppy in the future, making it undisplayable in fighter mode. 

3 hours ago, Mommar said:

Decaling is coming along (if you can spot the difference.). Only three missing off the style guide on this side and it’s on to the other.  Those effing x’es and single lines!

24441903-3506-4B19-9EA2-BCA096B7F99C.thumb.jpeg.16bf2db5abcfccd77da7a82d485d45dd.jpeg

Nice work! You say decaling work....does this come with decals or are they stickers?

Chris

3 hours ago, ArchieNov said:

I just opened mine and did a preliminary QC check. Things look okay so far, but haven't really transformed it or put it through its paces yet.

I do think the wing design is a significant step back though. For some reason, Arcadia didn't bother putting a single locking tab on them. I thought the floppy wings were the most problematic area of the Yamato, so I'm baffled why they chose not just to leave it as before, but even removed the old locking tab. I can definitely see this becoming floppy in the future, making it undisplayable in fighter mode. 

While I'm sorry to hear/see all those Q.C. issues some are experiencing, I'm relieved I didn't proceed to purchase this valk. Indeed, for $400+, this definitely should not be happening. I'm wondering if this will contribute to an eventual decline in cost for the figure, assuming stores don't run out of stock.

I tried transforming it, but only until Gerwalk then I decided it was not worth it. I transformed it back to fighter where it will stay for a long long time. The hinges all have very inconsistent tolerances/tightness, even for the same ones. For example, one of the shoulders could barely move that I thought it was glued by mistake, but on the other side it was pretty loose. I found this to be the same across multiple joints and hinges, especially in the wings. Add to the fact that these hinges are very small and mostly plastic, makes me feel that I might end up breaking/cracking something sooner or later. Moreover, after moving those hinges around for just one transformation, some of them have started to feel a lot looser than I would have liked (freely swinging). Definitely feels almost certain that this will become floppy rather quickly.

I remember people complaining a lot about the hinges in the Sv-262. Personally I never had much issue with those. But on this valk, it's on a whole other level.

In summary, it looks nice. But this is probably the worst 1/60 valk I have handled in a very long time. Also, the engineering is still very similar to the original Yamato. I don't know why Mr. K says otherwise, but in my opinion the engineering is 90% similar to the old version. They just added a few minor things like the nose tab, and the opening fan, double joints in the knees and elbows. But they took away some useful things too like the wing locking tab. And the ankles are the same design from more than a decade ago (in other words, crap ankles).

Pretty disappointed. I was really hoping that this would make me feel better since I wasn't too happy with the VF-31 Armor parts either, but I guess not.

Edited by ArchieNov

22 minutes ago, ArchieNov said:

The hinges all have very inconsistent tolerances/tightness, even for the same ones. For example, one of the shoulders could barely move that I thought it was glued by mistake, but on the other side it was pretty loose. I found this to be the same across multiple joints and hinges, especially in the wings.

This is my experience with every Arcadia product I've ever had, except maybe the VF-1J GBP set.  It's like their trademark, or something.

Meh, my right wing has started to become floppy. If I turn it upside down, it flops. And this is without any ordinance connected. I assume it'll be much worse with stuff on. This is the exact same problem with the Yamato. Gosh, I feel like I was cheated by all the talk about improved engineering. This was definitely not worth the price and wait.

Any tips to tighten the hinge at the base of the wing? I remember trying to fix this on my Yamato too but had no luck.

Edited by ArchieNov

3 minutes ago, Sanity is Optional said:

Now I'm thinking I might just want to fix&keep mine. All the joints are pretty-much fine, and the foot is fixable. If I return it and get one with bad joint that'd be much more of a pain.

I also agree with your plan as well. 

Has anyone tweeted Mr. K about these issues yet? I know that these flaws shows up unexpectedly, however you can't be too sure if it's on the other batches as well.

Isn't there a small hand out that comes with the instruction book? I doubt that it may help as it written in Kanji.  

1 hour ago, borgified said:

I also agree with your plan as well. 

Has anyone tweeted Mr. K about these issues yet? I know that these flaws shows up unexpectedly, however you can't be too sure if it's on the other batches as well.

Isn't there a small hand out that comes with the instruction book? I doubt that it may help as it written in Kanji.  

I tweeted him last night but no response yet.