Arcadia 1/60 SV-51 Ivanov

Valkyrie addict

As it’s been said before,  I’m sure this new version will be an improvement, though I’m happy with my Yammy and won’t replace her.  I can’t honestly imagine it not being better , especially at this price..it just can’t be..

Also, as @jenius said a while back, Arcadia appears to be more of a hobby for them , rather than a business that desperately needs to meet its bottom line quarterly.

I haven’t been paying a ton of attention to their release schedule , but it seeems like they’re average releases per year are “somewhat” consistent . 

Theyre just not the overtechnology machine Bandai is. And they’re obviously not trying to be.

4 hours ago, Sildani said:

What do we think the odds are on a Premium finish version of this coming out soon?

I'm thinking there will be PF version, just a question of when. Max & Miria PF came out about 6-8 months after the regular versions. Hikaru and Roy were much later, but that was when Arcadia was just starting the PF line. SDF-1 was also about 6 months apart from regular to PF.

Max, Miria, and SDF-1 PF were all announced before the release of their regular versions, so I'm hoping Arcadia will do the same for the Sv-51 and I can skip the regular.

Yup, this release is expensive, but it is quite expected given the rather similar price of the VF-0, and that SV-51 is a very large bird.. The various VF-0 didn't seem to exactly fly off the shelves; it could be they were also pricey then, or because of the reports of legs falling off, but they eventually did sell out not long after release & command some higher prices.

I'm thinking back on my valk buying habits over the past few years, and naturally I would go for the low hanging fruits first. Only when there was a draught of releases or availability of other valks to fill the holes in my collection, then only did I look toward obtaining the various VF-0. I suspect this would be the case here as well with many collectors?

Not sure how Arcadia would be able to fix the floppy wings from Yamato's iteration, given the overall thin & spindly design, but I have faith in T-Rex. Factory QC though, is another story - hopefully no more legs falling off shenanigans like the VF-0D & 0A.

Macross releases have been very consistent nowadays, so drought/gaps of macross releases are rare.

Its more of what can you would prefer over the other or keep up with, and afford. 
At least that's becoming my behavior, i noticed.

And lastly, in DX cases, what you can pre-order! :ph34r:

Edited by seti88

Toy collecting in general has gotten a lot more consistent, with major series getting high quality collectibles. Bandai, Arcadia, the various statue companies like XM Studios and Prime1.

Its a great time to be a fan, not so great on the wallet. Bandai has gotten into the 1/12th game for action figures with digital mapping etc so there’s so much goodness to buy. 

I've always really liked the design and look of this Valk but I think the high price is going to keep me away. especially if a PF version is possible down the line. I too am worried about QC with this release...I mean, at this price, the thing should be totally solid. but I kinda doubt it. id like to see how long it takes for the preorders to close...some stores don't even have it up yet. 

ive also never bought anything from Arcadia before so I know nothing about what to expect. I was out of the valk collecting game when Yamato disappeared and Arcadia came onto the scene. whats the company's story? did Yamato just fizzle out and die or did Yamato just become Arcadia?  or is there no relation between the two companies at all? 

Edited by jetcollector

2 hours ago, jetcollector said:

I've also never bought anything from Arcadia before so I know nothing about what to expect. I was out of the valk collecting game when Yamato disappeared and Arcadia came onto the scene. whats the company's story? did Yamato just fizzle out and die or did Yamato just become Arcadia?  or is there no relation between the two companies at all? 

From what I read and learned (as I don't know the exact details), Yamato went bankrupt and folded.  A handful of designers/creators from Yamato that still enjoy their job and what they do, got together and Arcadia started to rise out of Yamato ashes (hence like the Phoenix bird from the Greek/Roman Mythology).

During the re-structuring period, somehow Arcadia got/found the VF-1 molds from Yamato and did improvements from the original versions.

Arcadia has re-issued the VF-0 (still a hot mess), VF-1, VF-4, VF-19, SDF-1, Mighty Block (?) and made the Reactive Armour for the VF-0 valks. The PF VE-1, valk stand and the SV-51 are newest releases for this year.

For the price of the Yamato V.2 VF-1 valks,  you're better off getting the Arcadia version as the Yamato versions will cost you a leg and arm at the secondary market.

Note: Anyone full versed in this knowledge of the Yamato/Arcadia connection, you're welcomed to correct me. I believe that you are @jenius?  

9 minutes ago, borgified said:

Arcadia has re-engineered the YF-19 and the VF-0 (though some VF-0A releases have bad thigh and some canopy scratching issues), reissued some main star VF-1’s and its Anniversary releases, VF-4G, SDF-1, VF-1 Acrylic Display Stand and made the first Reactive Armour for their VF-0 valks. Including some Premium Finish versions of released VF-1 and VF-0.

The PF VE-1 and the Launch Arm Display Stand are the newest releases and the upcoming SV-51 Ivanov later this year.

Hope it’s ok that I edited some parts @borgified. ^_^ 

• 2 weeks later...

¥30K (or more with shipping etc) times 3......I'll stick with my old Yammies. I've only ever transformed one out of the 3 and as display pieces crammed between loads of other VFs, they look perfectly fine. Sure, they have gaps here and there, (but so do the Arcadia 'renewal' from what I could see from the pics)..Can't see myself justifying spending that kinda cash on something I already own. It'll be a pass for me....:mellow:

IMG_9629.JPG

That's exactly what stops me from considering getting one. I bought the CF a few years ago and sold it a month later, due to my eyes, the huge gaps that were all over it. The design is awesome, being based off the sukhoi 27 one of my favorite planes, but the arcadia one having the same gaps? I mean come on arcadia, I think they could habe done better than that, especially at the current price.........

Yowza! :wub:

I don’t have the Yamato one so I’m definitely looking forward to this. It’s going to be my second antagonist Valk next to Draken. My third, if YF-21 is considered to be one. ^_^ 

Given the steep price, it sounds like quite a few of us collectors are adopting a wait and see approach, since although Arcadia's being a new mold, from pictures its not significantly different from the previous Yamato. In this situation, I wonder if it would have been better if Arcadia made an SV-52 first? SV-52 only needs slight changes from the SV-51 mold, but visually its different enough to be viewed as an entirely new model for more buy-in at the start.

I do like the SV-52 design over the SV-51 actually.. :D 

Again, looking at the pics of the revised version, and comparing closely to my old Yammies, they look nearly identical. (Gaps and all). The main differences will mostly be structural, with reinforced diecast hinges/joints to better carry the weight of those huge ass missiles. I've had 2 out of 3 displayed with all their missiles for years, one with the wings folded in 'high speed' mode, nothing has budged. The other just normal and flat. Only the the wings on the on in standard Fighter mode are drooping ever so slightly . (There are some ways to adjust those folding wing hinges so that they don't just drop and flop completely). Only downside...no 'whooshing' around....I could be wrong, but from a display standpoint the differences just aren't obvious enough to warrant ¥90+. If I didn't already own them, I'd be up for it no doubt. Also, maybe it's just me, but when getting a slightly revised version of a piece I already own (unless it's a complete redo, different scale etc) I never get the same kinda excitement having had the other version. Certainly not rolling on $$$ , and like many I collect other stuff aside Macross. Like that T-28 Action Toys, missed the preorder on that one ...utterly gutted:bigshok:

51 minutes ago, Kinzoku VF said:

Again, looking at the pics of the revised version, and comparing closely to my old Yammies, they look nearly identical. (Gaps and all). The main differences will mostly be structural, with reinforced diecast hinges/joints to better carry the weight of those huge ass missiles. I've had 2 out of 3 displayed with all their missiles for years, one with the wings folded in 'high speed' mode, nothing has budged. The other just normal and flat. Only the the wings on the on in standard Fighter mode are drooping ever so slightly . (There are some ways to adjust those folding wing hinges so that they don't just drop and flop completely). Only downside...no 'whooshing' around....I could be wrong, but from a display standpoint the differences just aren't obvious enough to warrant ¥90+. If I didn't already own them, I'd be up for it no doubt. Also, maybe it's just me, but when getting a slightly revised version of a piece I already own (unless it's a complete redo, different scale etc) I never get the same kinda excitement having had the other version. Certainly not rolling on $$$ , and like many I collect other stuff aside Macross. Like that T-28 Action Toys, missed the preorder on that one ...utterly gutted:bigshok:

People said that same thing about the VF-0 and that was an ENTIRELY different mold. 

6 hours ago, enphily said:

From Mr.K's twitter D7Ekx7RV4AAoszX?format=jpg&name=large

Looks good.  I still haven’t preordered it yet.

5 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

Yowza! :wub:

I don’t have the Yamato one so I’m definitely looking forward to this. It’s going to be my second antagonist Valk next to Draken. My third, if YF-21 is considered to be one. ^_^ 

You don’t have a VF-27 or YF-29B?

1 hour ago, Dobber said:

I hope it still has the extending head gimmick. I loved that!

54DA671E-D15F-4CFA-8EDA-95AA211AE348.jpeg.6781dea2ea2d9ba244578a3b06fe479c.jpeg

That looks nice!

6 hours ago, MKT said:

Given the steep price, it sounds like quite a few of us collectors are adopting a wait and see approach, since although Arcadia's being a new mold, from pictures its not significantly different from the previous Yamato. In this situation, I wonder if it would have been better if Arcadia made an SV-52 first? SV-52 only needs slight changes from the SV-51 mold, but visually its different enough to be viewed as an entirely new model for more buy-in at the start.

I do like the SV-52 design over the SV-51 actually.. :D 

If you're referring to the Macross The Ride SV-52, then I have to agree that I like that one better. And it would be perfect if it's in Ivanov's color. :wub:  But the chance of seeing that one in toy form is kind of slim. :unsure:

3 hours ago, sh9000 said:

You don’t have a VF-27 or YF-29B?

Shoot. I forgot my YF-29B. Hahaha! :lol: Thanks for reminding me, sir! ;) 

And no, I don't have VF-27. But I want to own one in Mei Leelon's color. :wub:

3 hours ago, Mommar said:

People said that same thing about the VF-0 and that was an ENTIRELY different mold. 

Macross Zero actually has CAD models, so the exteriors in fighter, battroid, and gerwalk should be very similar if not identical. Because there's a 3D model to compare everything to. I'd expect them to look close to identical, and have similar exterior panel layouts.

The real question is what's on the inside.

Not like the YF/VF-19, where what it looks like changes depending on the scene, so there's a lot of leeway in the design of the figure.

1 hour ago, Sanity is Optional said:

Macross Zero actually has CAD models, so the exteriors in fighter, battroid, and gerwalk should be very similar if not identical. Because there's a 3D model to compare everything to. I'd expect them to look close to identical, and have similar exterior panel layouts.

The real question is what's on the inside.

Not like the YF/VF-19, where what it looks like changes depending on the scene, so there's a lot of leeway in the design of the figure.

I’m aware.  Even still the differences between the two 0’s is plain to see side-by-side.  Both tries will be closer simply because it’s based on CG already.  

1 hour ago, jvmacross said:

Almost looks Cavaliers blue rather than Ivanov black.....did someone mention Arcadia shenanigans? ;)

LOL, Arcadia white (slightly pink on white) and we have the new Arcadia black (slightly dark blue on black) :lol:

So far my only real disappointment with this new SV-51 is the lack of fixed-pose hands, Arcadia has continued that tradition with the VF-1's. With this being an all new mold you'd think they would have incorporated that feature, especially for the asking price. 

1 hour ago, 505thAirborne said:

So far my only real disappointment with this new SV-51 is the lack of fixed-pose hands, Arcadia has continued that tradition with the VF-1's. With this being an all new mold you'd think they would have incorporated that feature, especially for the asking price. 

Out of curiosity. Did the Yamato came with fixed hands? I think the VF-1's are the only ones that came with extra hands, right? I guess, we just became so spoiled by Bandai by including fixed pose hands on their DX figures. :unsure:

Edited by no3Ljm

11 minutes ago, no3Ljm said:

Out of curiosity. Did the Yamato came with fixed hands? I think the VF-1's are the only ones that came with extra hands, right? I guess, we just became so spoiled by Bandai by including fixed pose hands on their DX figures. :unsure:

Sadly no, just the standard issue hands similar to the ones on the VF-0. 

If the VF-0's & 51's had fixed pose hands, they would be soooo much more awesome! B))

22 minutes ago, 505thAirborne said:

Sadly no, just the standard issue hands similar to the ones on the VF-0. 

If the VF-0's & 51's had fixed pose hands, they would be soooo much more awesome! B))

Yup. We're definitely pampered and spoiled by Bandai. :rolleyes:

8 hours ago, jvmacross said:

Almost looks Cavaliers blue rather than Ivanov black.....did someone mention Arcadia shenanigans? ;)

I did!

Yes seems to be slightly blue toned, the part behind the emblem seems to be a different type of plastic even..shinier? Likely reflective, seems the plastic piece of the emblem is matt...

Maybe too early to say, the final retail version might turn out completely different! ;)

Edited by seti88