Arcadia 1/60 SV-51 Ivanov

Valkyrie addict

If only Amazon would not declare full amount on the shipping invoice, then I'd go with them over NY for this purchase. But since they and most other retailers don't practice that, then purchasing through NY is the cheapest option for me since it bypasses import taxes.

NY is still cheaper for me either way using ferry shipping. If AJ sells direct and lowers the price like they have the other recent releases, they will be about the same or perhaps less with faster shipping. Either way, we are only talking a few dollars difference now.

24 minutes ago, ErikElvis said:

I’ll pay the extra $20-30 to go with HLJ. They’ve helped me before with problems and something this expensive I want a little back up. 

I have to agree. As expensive as this, we really need a good customer service for back-up. We don't want a $300 brick in our collection. :unsure:

39 minutes ago, ErikElvis said:

I’ll pay the extra $20-30 to go with HLJ. They’ve helped me before with problems and something this expensive I want a little back up. 

My feeling exactly. That’s why I went with HLJ. 

18 minutes ago, ArchieNov said:

Paying $30 more is okay in exchange for security. If only import taxes were that cheap. For this item I estimate the import tax to my country will be around $200+.

Wtf?!

16 hours ago, sh9000 said:

I’m going to preorder this tomorrow or the weekend at NY and use registered ferry.

Yep, ferry for me too. I also had a 3% off coupon that helped. Saving $10-$30 on each purchase goes a long way for me to buy more toys and insure myself if ever needed.

4 minutes ago, ArchieNov said:

It is the sad truth. That is why NY is a godsend, no matter what other people may say about them. People in the US don't realize how lucky they are to be free from import taxes.

Hey Archie. Quick question. Does local shops back at home carry Arcadia Valkyries? I'm curious now regarding peso pricing. Like how much is the difference now when you buy stuff online and pay the import taxes afterwards compared to items that you can get locally? Back there, I always do computation first and the differences were not as much so I always just buy my stuff at GreatToys. If he doesn't carry, I ask the owner if he can get it for me.

Let me know. Thanks! 

2 hours ago, ArchieNov said:

It is the sad truth. That is why NY is a godsend, no matter what other people may say about them. People in the US don't realize how lucky they are to be free from import taxes.

I have to agree with you there, Canada also sucks balls for import taxes.  I found that AmiAmi and Nin Nin also don't declare full value on their packages either, I haven't had to pay import taxes lately with either of them.  

9 hours ago, ArchieNov said:

Paying $30 more is okay in exchange for security. If only import taxes were that cheap. For this item I estimate the import tax to my country will be around $200+.

that estimate is somewhat exaggerated. Unless there are some significant changes with the BOC tariff schedule (available online), toys in general only have a 10% duty and a 12% vat, so total rate is usually around 22.5% of landed cost (item value + shipping). Assuming total cost including is shipping is ~Y38000, that's around P 17800, so customs fee/tax, should be around 4000 pesos or around $80 USD. If you're being charge significantly more than that, there's definitely a Customs error so better check the current tariff code and make sure your item is classified properly.

3 hours ago, Smacky said:

I have to agree with you there, Canada also sucks balls for import taxes.  I found that AmiAmi and Nin Nin also don't declare full value on their packages either, I haven't had to pay import taxes lately with either of them.  

Good thing here in AB, only charged 5% (hopefully stays that way) in case I'm dinged which is also infrequent.

1 hour ago, pafy6285 said:

that estimate is somewhat exaggerated. Unless there are some significant changes with the BOC tariff schedule (available online), toys in general only have a 10% duty and a 12% vat, so total rate is usually around 22.5% of landed cost (item value + shipping). Assuming total cost including is shipping is ~Y38000, that's around P 17800, so customs fee/tax, should be around 4000 pesos or around $80 USD. If you're being charge significantly more than that, there's definitely a Customs error so better check the current tariff code and make sure your item is classified properly.

I don't think it's exaggerated. One of the last times I had to pay for import tax was when I got the Riobot Shin Getter from Amiami. The declared value was just around 13-14k php if I remember correctly, but I got taxed around 6k php. And this was already the cheaper tax because Amiami doesn't include the shipping cost in their declared invoice. If I had purchased it though HLJ it would have been even more expensive.

Not sure if you work for BOC, or if you regularly pay import fees for toys, but from my experience I almost always pay around 40% or so of the total declared value of the item (and yes it's classified as a toy). There are other fixed charges included that are on top of that 22.5%.

But regardless, I'm just saying that even if some shops like NY are marked up by let's say 5-10% more than other online retailers, that's still a lot cheaper than having to pay import taxes.

Edited by ArchieNov

8 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

Hey Archie. Quick question. Does local shops back at home carry Arcadia Valkyries? I'm curious now regarding peso pricing. Like how much is the difference now when you buy stuff online and pay the import taxes afterwards compared to items that you can get locally? Back there, I always do computation first and the differences were not as much so I always just buy my stuff at GreatToys. If he doesn't carry, I ask the owner if he can get it for me.

Let me know. Thanks! 

Not many local shops carry Arcadia valkyries nowadays. I guess it's because the prices of these things have really gone up. The only ones that do off the top of my head are Hobby Korner and another store at the 2nd floor of Shoppesville Plus in Greenhills. Their prices are somewhat comparable (or slightly cheaper) to buying it online + import tax. At least that's what I remember. For me, it's not really worth buying it locally because the trade off for the slightly cheaper price is having to wait a month longer and also having to travel to the shop instead of getting it delivered straight to my home. 

3 hours ago, ArchieNov said:

I don't think it's exaggerated. One of the last times I had to pay for import tax was when I got the Riobot Shin Getter from Amiami. The declared value was just around 13-14k php if I remember correctly, but I got taxed around 6k php. And this was already the cheaper tax because Amiami doesn't include the shipping cost in their declared invoice. If I had purchased it though HLJ it would have been even more expensive.

Not sure if you work for BOC, or if you regularly pay import fees for toys, but from my experience I almost always pay around 40% or so of the total declared value of the item (and yes it's classified as a toy). There are other fixed charges included that are on top of that 22.5%.

But regardless, I'm just saying that even if some shops like NY are marked up by let's say 5-10% more than other online retailers, that's still a lot cheaper than having to pay import taxes.

I ordered figures, models, etc quite frequently (there are months that I visit the local PO every week) when I was still in the Philippines, so quite familiar on how Customs work. And all orders that were taxed, it's always around 22.5% more or less. The only additional fixed fee is the PhilPost fee which is around P 100 at that time. When you say being taxed 40%, are you basing it on just the item value or are you including the shipping cost. Note that the BOC base their duties/tax on Landed cost which includes the shipping cost (the shipping/postage cost will always be included by Japan Post in the package so Customs will see that).

In any case, as per your example, the tax/fee is still quite high even if we take into account the shipping cost, so better check the BOC receipt on the breakdown and how they classify your item. My guess is that they're not classifying it correctly which incurs a higher duty or maybe their basing it on a higher value instead on what's declared.

Anyway, I agree with you that shops like NY allows those with high duties/tax rates to save a bit. Downside is that if it's lost or something, then tough luck (though considering NY's support, I don't think it would be easy to recover even if it's properly declared). Fortunately haven't encountered any lost items from NY.

20 hours ago, Slave IV said:

Yep, ferry for me too. I also had a 3% off coupon that helped. Saving $10-$30 on each purchase goes a long way for me to buy more toys and insure myself if ever needed.

I’m letting my discount build up to 5% or more if it does but I might end up using it on the next HMR order or something else.  We’ll see.  I haven’t preordered the SV-51 yet.

2 hours ago, sh9000 said:

I’m letting my discount build up to 5% or more if it does but I might end up using it on the next HMR order or something else.  We’ll see.  I haven’t preordered the SV-51 yet.

I only got 5% once. Don’t remember how much DP it took to get it. 

6 hours ago, pafy6285 said:

I ordered figures, models, etc quite frequently (there are months that I visit the local PO every week) when I was still in the Philippines, so quite familiar on how Customs work. And all orders that were taxed, it's always around 22.5% more or less. The only additional fixed fee is the PhilPost fee which is around P 100 at that time. When you say being taxed 40%, are you basing it on just the item value or are you including the shipping cost. Note that the BOC base their duties/tax on Landed cost which includes the shipping cost (the shipping/postage cost will always be included by Japan Post in the package so Customs will see that).

lol! i used to visit my PO so often that now they just send me an SMS whenever i have more than 4 boxes or at least one of them is a month old, whichever comes first. you're spot on with the tax calculations.

NY price for SV-51 + 3k yen shipping works out to around 17k Php shipped. Add ~4k Php for taxes and the 112 Php fixed postal handling fee, for a total of 21k php. there's a local PO for the SV-51 at 22k Php, less 10% if a member, so net 20k Php. 

as of late 2016, any importation less than 10k Php item value only (ie. excluding shipping) is exempt from taxes. hence i have since split my shipments into smaller chunks. and high value items ship individually. when i have a big order at NY (eg. to maximize a discount coupon), i then select the ship separate parcels option which only costs a little more.

BOC occasionally makes errors by computing based on landed cost even if the item value alone is under 10k. i just point out the error to the local PO and they release the package tax free. 

11 hours ago, ArchieNov said:

this is really odd. sorry man, but it really looks like you were over taxed. 

i paid 3k Php tax for the same item, and my shipments from Amiami, HLJ, HS always had the shipping cost spelled out. in Amiami's case, it's not on the invoice but on the declaration sheet under "postage charges". both pieces of paper are inside a plastic bag pasted on the box.

I'm really tempted to preorder this bird but I'm having difficulty justifying the exorbitant cost. It doesn't even seem much different than it's older counterpart.  Does anyone think this valk will be hard to purchase after it's release date?

Btw, just so we're clear, unlike the original Yamato figure, no display base is included, correct?

18 minutes ago, Redskull said:

I'm really tempted to preorder this bird but I'm having difficulty justifying the exorbitant cost. It doesn't even seem much different than it's older counterpart.  Does anyone think this valk will be hard to purchase after it's release date?

Btw, just so we're clear, unlike the original Yamato figure, no display base is included, correct?

Most likely no stand is included. As for this one...it’s the first new mold by Arcadia since the VF-0 and the VF-0S turned out to be a big improvement over the previous and reigned at the top of mine and many other’s lists as the top Valk toy ever made until the recent DX VF-1. But based on response and the fact that this is not the hero Valk, it will most likely be available for a bit after release and possibly even go on clearance. If that happens, I may buy a 2nd one but I’m not taking that risk in case they anticipate lower numbers and the stock runs out. When that that happened for all the VF-0s, prices skyrocketed...people were/are paying $600+ for them. 

Yeah, but that’s old news. I meant if there is anything new on the horizon. Or is Arcadia pretty much done after the SV-51, that is of course with the possibility of a PF version as well.

It just seems that the Macross well is drying up with Arcadia. 

58 minutes ago, nightmareB4macross said:

Yeah, but that’s old news. I meant if there is anything new on the horizon. Or is Arcadia pretty much done after the SV-51, that is of course with the possibility of a PF version as well.

It just seems that the Macross well is drying up with Arcadia. 

They seem to go quiet for a while and then surprise with several pieces of info at once. As it is, we know what they're making pretty much through the end of the year at this point so I wouldn't expect any news from them until closer to the end of the year. Maybe Summer Wonderfest will bring news of a December VF-1 reissue or something but they dropped the VE-1 reissue out of the blue so maybe not. 

9 hours ago, nightmareB4macross said:
9 hours ago, nightmareB4macross said:

Thanks guys appreciate the updates.

Hopefully, we get something new beyond PF and reissue nonsense. 

Agreed.

Cosmetically speaking, Arcadia's SV-51 doesn't look any different than Yamato's, down to the shallow white intakes.