Arcadia 1/60 SV-51 Ivanov

Valkyrie addict

55 minutes ago, Zx31 said:

As Chronocidal already pointed out, it should look the same as the Yamato Valk because it was already a 3D model. The real differences will be in the engineering.

I reckon more of a materials-differences than engineering-differences.

Iirc, the Yammies used a rather "soft plastic" materials with the Zero-line and at least, with the VF-11b.  I know my old Nora felt really quite "softer" than my 1/60v2 VF-1s. 

Fwiw and maybe just me, but my Arcadia VF-1s actually feel quite a bit more rigid and possibly a bit more solid/stronger than my comparable old Yammies.  Maybe it's due to the "pink" additive thingy...

Edited by treatment

Yeah, Yamato's Nora had a soft plastic that also became brittle with time. I don't remember if the original release of  Ivanov had the same problem, although I do remember once I ran into it with my copy of Nora it was already a well known QC issue around these parts. If Arcadia is using a stronger, more resilient plastic for their version then that is great news, and I hope Ivanov does well enough so that they consider redoing Nora with all the same fixes.

Edited by technoblue

Why is everybody on about this same look thing again?  The original model from the anime was 3d so it was easier to nail the proportions even back in the early Yamato days.  That being said the Arcadia and Yamato VF-0’s were not the same and standing side-by-side it’s clear the Arcadia was different.  It should be no different here.  This is like the 25 V.2.

Edited by Mommar

Mommar, that's my point exactly.  I don't expect the overall sculpt to look noticeably different (though I won't be surprised if it's visible once we get the chance to do a real side-by-side comparison).  But I do expect to see finer surface detail.  That's the biggest difference between the Arcadia vs the Yamato VF-0 releases.  Those panel lines are much, much finer and more subtle on the Arcadia release.

I'm happy to chalk this up as a prototype thing.  I think we'll get definite improvements and I can't imagine the surface detail somehow being worse than the VF-0.

I would imagine that'll be the least of what we'll get. However, you're not likely to spot that sort of thing, visually. That's the bit I was commenting on. Strengthening and better materials aren't going to be that easy to spot, but panel lines and gaps definitely are. I just can't see those sorts of improvements from the pics so far. Well, I don't see anything that looks as obvious as I was expecting, that's all. 

Edited by mickyg

So its new sculpt and looks more polished (maybe?), but what exactly are the improvement? 

Apart from better engineering, I would love to see better/dynamic articulation or more attractive battloid body proportion. For it to truely better the old Yamato version, sure it needs to work better, but it need to look better too.

Things Bandai did quite well is putting positive spin on old/familiar design and make it look more attractive and eye-catching, their Metal Build series is a good example. There is not alot more to add for figher mode I guess, but for Battloid, surely it can do with a better design, similar to how Bandai did with VF19/YF19. Maybe we will have to wait for a DX Chogokin SV-51 to see this happen...

Edited by Jyhnc

12 hours ago, mickyg said:

Mommar, that's my point exactly.  I don't expect the overall sculpt to look noticeably different (though I won't be surprised if it's visible once we get the chance to do a real side-by-side comparison).  But I do expect to see finer surface detail.  That's the biggest difference between the Arcadia vs the Yamato VF-0 releases.  Those panel lines are much, much finer and more subtle on the Arcadia release.

I'm happy to chalk this up as a prototype thing.  I think we'll get definite improvements and I can't imagine the surface detail somehow being worse than the VF-0.

I'm not talking about surface details though.  The Arcadia version is shaped different.  Albeit it's more subtle, it isn't at all the same sculpt.

i'm hoping for amazon japan and large preorder discounts.  i sold my SV-51 yammies off and  would love an SV-51 but $350 is too much....$265 or so i could convince myself.  i'd also just buy ivanov this time as nora's color scheme doesn't look great in the matte realistic-ish finish arcadia likes to use.  also, the wing joints better be solid....actually at that price...all joints better be solid...and of course i wouldn't know if it is or not before a preorder though...*sigh*

59 minutes ago, no3Ljm said:

As always and expected. At this point in time it's still early to criticize what we saw. Let's wait for the next month or so into the preordering phase for more photos from Arcadia. ;)

F9AD3716-0267-457C-AAE8-40139EF3BA77.gif

Edited by spacemanoeuvres
linky

18 hours ago, Mommar said:

Why is everybody on about this same look thing again?  The original model from the anime was 3d so it was easier to nail the proportions even back in the early Yamato days.  That being said the Arcadia and Yamato VF-0’s were not the same and standing side-by-side it’s clear the Arcadia was different.  It should be no different here.  This is like the 25 V.2.

You really can't make the comparison to the VF-25, because the v.1 DX looked horrible.  :lol:  It'll be very similar to comparing the VF-0s though.

The "same look" deal is mostly dependent on how you prefer to enjoy your valks.  If you're just going to mount them on a stand in fighter mode, there's really no difference to be seen.  They're both good representations of the Sv-51, and they might differ slightly in proportion or painting, but the average person will see no difference between the two if you mounted them side-by-side on a shelf.

If you take it down, and start transforming and posing it?  Yeah, the upgrade will become readily apparent, because the Arcadia is obviously going to have some massive upgrades in materials, joint design, and posability.  But for someone who just likes the giant fighter mode, and leaves it in a display case?  This is a really expensive upgrade for very little in terms of visible payoff.

It's kind of like upgrading from a framed print of a Van Gogh, to a hand-painted reproduction.  It might be much higher quality, but it's not going to change how it looks from across the room, or how it coordinates with your other furniture. (I can't compare it to owning an actual Van Gogh, because the closest equivalent would probably be a fully functional full-scale replica of an actual Sv-51 to fly around in. :lol:)

(Late reply I know, I had this written earlier this morning, but it never sent.)

Edited by Chronocidal

7 minutes ago, Reïvaj said:

As I don't own the Yamato one, I'm in for one. Been waiting for a new improved version for ages and it looks gorgeous IMO! 

That's where I'm at. May as well skip the Yamato one since Arcadia's releasing a revamp.

Since I only started collecting after Yamato went bust, I don't have too many Yamato valks anyway. 

I had a 51 CF, sold it about a month later after buying it. What bugged the hell out of me was the extremely crappy hinge system that attaches the wings to the fuselage. Also, the tail planes would swivel allover the place. I see the exact same hinges on this one. Even if it was made with another plastic, that wouldn't fix the floppiness imo

10 hours ago, nightmareB4macross said:

Did you call me?

Not yet...your supposed to wait for 3 calls...:hi:

6 hours ago, TrickyCustomer said:

Skip to 16:30 for the sv-51. I was surprised what was next to it. 

Finally a sense of scale in a vid!

4 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

The VF-0D? Seti posted some Premium Finish pics of it in the VF-0D thread. ;)

You called? :hi:Sorry, wrong number....it was lollicon's close up pics in the OD thread! ;)

3 hours ago, Lolicon said:

Well, at least he cut out the part where I talk about what I think some of those dudes do with all those cosplay girl pictures they took...:unsure:

:angel::air_kiss:

3 hours ago, TrickyCustomer said:

Apologies if this was shown before. I've not been keeping an active eye on macross stuff recently. Thought it may be of interest. Cool that they are doing a color correction for the PF-0D. 

Based on the arcadia shenanigans on the first 0D release, am not sure if that color correction is actually a "correction".
Can you imagine arcadia releasing a weathered and panel lined valk as a PF too?

Getting an idea of scale always appreciated! I love trawling though youtube for vids on things of interest or unreleased collectables. I don't get why they didn't use the right color to begin with tbh. A money thing perhaps? So people would want to buy the more expensive "better" pf version? Either way they got me intrigued and I could see myself owning one. The vid had prime 1 stuff to so that's cool. (just bought lady Maria on the new smaller base) 

7 hours ago, Pulltoeject said:

I had a 51 CF, sold it about a month later after buying it. What bugged the hell out of me was the extremely crappy hinge system that attaches the wings to the fuselage. Also, the tail planes would swivel allover the place. I see the exact same hinges on this one. Even if it was made with another plastic, that wouldn't fix the floppiness imo

I did the same with my Yamato Ivanov... It was resold within a month. The wing root hinges and the outer wing hinges were both very floppy and saggy on mine, although I had been fortunate enough not to have received one with two left wing hinges as many other MW members had. I remember a lot of casting swirl marks being present on that toy, and just a general lack of solidity and refinement.

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone seen this?

From kurutuku131's Twitter page (posted by spacemanovers on the vf-31 thread of a Siegfried kitbashed):

Arcadia 51 Ivanoff and Shin's PE VF-0d dated two days ago.

D0TObG_VsAAaJ1n.jpg

Edited by borgified
PE VF-0d

Eh, that looks more like "sat in the desert for a decade and faded badly", rather than "the right colors".  It's DIFFERENT from the first release for sure, but I still want exactly what they originally showed for 0D preorders---that was absolutely perfect IMHO.