Arcadia 1/60 SV-51 Ivanov

Valkyrie addict

That pic damn near makes it look like Ivanov's 51 is olive drab. I think there's a scene in a submarine where Ivanov is leaning against his 51. That might be better. 

I've always thought of the colour as being very similar to modern stealth coatings, which are a very dark metallic grey.  I remember a lot of the scenes in the OVA as having that metallic sheen in shots as well. Sometimes looking glossy, sometimes dull or flat, but almost always looking extremely variable.  I'm not surprised it's so hard to capture that look.

I've got the Hasegawa kit and had originally planned to paint it the same way I'd do an SR-71 paint job.  But now I think I'll make some attempt at the colour I'd paint an F-22.

I'm VERY interested to see how Arcadia tackles the colour.  It definitely ain't a simple black!

40 minutes ago, Sildani said:

That pic damn near makes it look like Ivanov's 51 is olive drab. I think there's a scene in a submarine where Ivanov is leaning against his 51. That might be better. 

Posted that one earlier. If the previous one looks olive, you might want to check your monitor color settings :)

Ivanov.PNG

Edited by Zx31

26 minutes ago, Mechapilot77 said:

so is it confirmed one way or the other if this is a new mold or not?

Like someone already pointed out before. It's pointless to mention the collaboration with T-Rex on the announcement if it's just a reissue.

3 minutes ago, jenius said:

Yes, via tweet, brand new mold. 

why would anyone think it wouldn't be? They've fully committed to the Zero line so far with a ground up redesign of the 0, extra tooling for the 0D model, and even released the god damn reactive armor. But when it comes to the bad guys they're just going to dust off ten year old tooling that was frankly crap ten years ago? And seriously, the Yamato SV-51 is crap. I look forward to being able to throw the one I have in a dumpster and then possibly set that dumpster on fire.

2 hours ago, ChaoticYeti said:

Have there been pictures of the actual mold? If so, I missed it.

2 hours ago, jvmacross said:

You think it isn't? 

I think ChaoticYeti was asking how can you be underwhelmed by the new mold if we haven't actually seen it yet. Although I got the impression that it wasn't the actual design of the new mold you were underwhelmed by, just that you aren't particularly interested in an updated SV-51

Edited by Raptor One

17 minutes ago, Raptor One said:

I think ChaoticYeti was asking how can you be underwhelmed by the new mold if we haven't actually seen it yet. Although I got the impression that it wasn't the actual design of the new mold you were underwhelmed by, just that you aren't particularly interested in an updated SV-51

Pretty much. I didn't think they shared anything detailing the new mold yet.

58 minutes ago, anime52k8 said:

I look forward to being able to throw the one I have in a dumpster and then possibly set that dumpster on fire.

No, No.....send it to me so I can unload a can of "slimer" green paint on it.....take some pics......and then dump it in a dumpster and set the dumpster on fire! :rolleyes:

56 minutes ago, Raptor One said:

Although I got the impression that it wasn't the actual design of the new mold you were underwhelmed by, just that you aren't particularly interested in an updated SV-51

This....

I can only hope this is it....M0 line will be over and Arcadia can move onto something completely fresh and new....like a VF-5000 or the dang TV SDF-1.....

I'm guessing M0 was the cheapest license Arcadia could acquire for "new" product......Oddly enough, I'd pick up any HM-R M0 releases if they ever got made....:rolleyes:

One more thing.....VF-0B...VF-0C......totally would buy those.....so if they get released next, then I will be OK if Arcadia hangs onto M0 for a couple more years....there should be nothing to producing either of those......would be nice if they would go in on a partnership with Hasegawa so they can release the 2 versions of those 2 that have become sort of iconic for those VF-0's...

9292155276_bb5fcdcb40_b.jpg

Vf-0c.jpg

Dunno, there really aren't that many more releases they can do.  Under Yamato they released prectically every VF-1 under the sun and kinda figured out which sell the best, the Destroids weren't touched and enemy mecha didn't sell (though they botched that one imo.)  So what else would they really release besides the most popular Roy and Hikaru VF's?  Both YF and VF-19's are already covered, the other 19 variants didn't sell as well and the 21/22 didn't sell as well either.  The 11B and C both didn't sell well.  The two 17 variants didn't sell well.  The VF-4 is popular so they put that out again too.  The Zero series and the YF-19 were the two oldest things that they can reasonably update and people would be likely to buy to replace the old, terrible ones.  But nothing else really needs to be updated/fixed (except to fix the 19 and 17's ball-joint ankles.)

What's left?  They can't do Frontier or Delta, most likely.  And following so close to Bandai on Frontier would be silly.  There's the more obscure fighters that we fans want but if some of the more mainline fighters from the shows didn't sell who's to say the VF-5000B is going to light the world on fire?

The way they could build off of Delta would be to get the license for the VF-9 Cutlass that appeared briefly. However, that's assuming Bandai doesn't already have a lock on the license for every mecha that appeared. 

Arcadia could get around that by claiming it had appeared in a previously published work, but then they couldn't tie it into Delta in any way, and I doubt they'd want to sink tens of thousands of dollars into R&D and moldmaking for a Valkyrie even more obscure than the VF-5000. Heck, at least the Star Mirage actually had a few episodes' worth of exposure. 

Only other one I can think of would be the VF-11 MAXL, and that strictly because they made Mylene's bass guitar, so at least Macross 7's name is back out there in some capacity. 

If they were smart (perhaps), they could license Macross the Ride and thereby reuse a great many of their existing molds, and make minor revisions as needed. Most need new paint, I think that's all. Thing is, I have no idea how popular MtR got, or still is, in Japan. 

Edited by Sildani

I don't doubt the zero line sold 'less than expected', particularly because it was rife with QC issues (2/2 Arcadia!). I also don't know about the licensing situation but I think it's pretty clear they don't have the same ability to create SDF content that Yamato did. I would guess they have some sort of provisional licensing or some exorbitantly high costs associated with SDF releases. The Zero license is probably dirt cheap since they're likely the only company interested in producing content for it. They may also have some opportunity with Macross7 and Macross Plus. New shows mean re-bidding of licensing so sticking to Zero may be a safe bet. Who knows what Bandai will want to do for the 35th anniversary but it's almost certain they won't go full DX on Zero toys whereas it seems likely they would grab the Plus license to capitalize on their VF-19Advance mold and if they're going to make a 21 DX to support a Plus license then they should also grab the 7 license for VF-22 variants. Anyway, that's a long way of saying "I think Mac Zero is a good call for Arcadia." 

Also, I'm thrilled by this announcement. I much prefer the SV-51 to the VF-0.

It would seem Macross Zero may have actually been their only choice.  It would seem you would want to base your products on a series with a large assortment of potential releases.  With the exception of Macross Flashback 2012, Macross Zero has the least amount of mecha that could be exploited of any Macross series.  Arcadia is almost at the point where they will be faced with having to decide on making the Cheyenne and Octos.....and the current thought on Destroids is that they are poor sellers.  Insta-buys for me, but not sure if other collectors would feel the need to add them to their collections.  With the Macross Zero line, Arcadia is essentially forced to tap into a well that is quickly running dry.