Macross on BluRay

wwwmwww

All,

I'm a long time Macross Fan but life and work have kept me further way from Macross then I'd like for about a decade.  I'm wanting to get caught up as I've missed most of Macross Frontier and Zero and I haven't seen any of Macross Delta yet.  I would like to get some high quality copies on BluRay (4K is good too but I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere).  I don't speak or read Japanese so I need some good English subtitles.  I have looked and seen at least part of what is available but it has created a fair bit of confusion on my part.  So some questions:

1. I spotted this set on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/252755680153 which I think contains everything except Macross Delta.  It sold and I don't see it available anywhere else.  Can anyone point me to another source of this set?
  2. What exactly is this https://www.amazon.com/Macross-Zentora-mori-Blu-ray-Box/dp/B00DU6JES0 and how does it differ from this http://www.ebay.com/itm/252755680100 ? I searched the forums for "Macross F Zentora" and didn't get any hits.
  3. I see Macross Delta is available on BluRay but it appears to only be available in releases of 3 episodes at a time.  Are there any box sets of the entire thing?  If not I would hope that there is likely to be one eventually.
  4. Where is the 30th Anniversary set mentioned here http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/topic/44279-macross-f-30th-anniversary-box/ available? Or is this the Macross F Zentora set?
  5. I read somewhere that there were scenes edited (blurred out or cut) to remove gore or graphic scenes from the 30th Anniversary set.  Is this true?  I don't know if they were talking about the set I mention in (1) or (4) or both above.
  6. What is in this set that makes it so expensive http://www.ebay.com/itm/122149874063 ?  I note Macross Plus on BluRay is just a small subset of what one gets in the 30th Anniversary set mentioned in (1) above and even that costs less then this set.
  7. I enjoy good artbooks too so those are certainly a plus but my main focus is to get high quality copies of the episodes with accurate English subtitles and ideally I would prefer they be unedited. Added content doesn't bother me near as much as removed content.  This initially started off as an attempt to get caught up on Macross Zero, Frontier, and Delta but I don't have any of the rest on BluRay yet either so something like the set in (1) above sounds appealing, if it weren't for some of the editing comments I've read.  So what set or sets would people here recommend?

Thanks,

Carl

Edited by wwwmwww

2 hours ago, wwwmwww said:

All,

I'm a long time Macross Fan but life and work have kept me further way from Macross then I'd like for about a decade.  I'm wanting to get caught up as I've missed most of Macross Frontier and Zero and I haven't seen any of Macross Delta yet.  I would like to get some high quality copies on BluRay (4K is good too but I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere).  I don't speak or read Japanese so I need some good English subtitles.  I have looked and seen at least part of what is available but it has created a fair bit of confusion on my part.  So some questions:

1. I spotted this set on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/252755680153 which I think contains everything except Macross Delta.  It sold and I don't see it available anywhere else.  Can anyone point me to another source of this set?
  2. What exactly is this https://www.amazon.com/Macross-Zentora-mori-Blu-ray-Box/dp/B00DU6JES0 and how does it differ from this http://www.ebay.com/itm/252755680100 ? I searched the forums for "Macross F Zentora" and didn't get any hits.
  3. I see Macross Delta is available on BluRay but it appears to only be available in releases of 3 episodes at a time.  Are there any box sets of the entire thing?  If not I would hope that there is likely to be one eventually.
  4. Where is the 30th Anniversary set mentioned here http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/topic/44279-macross-f-30th-anniversary-box/ available? Or is this the Macross F Zentora set?
  5. I read somewhere that there were scenes edited (blurred out or cut) to remove gore or graphic scenes from the 30th Anniversary set.  Is this true?  I don't know if they were talking about the set I mention in (1) or (4) or both above.
  6. What is in this set that makes it so expensive http://www.ebay.com/itm/122149874063 ?  I note Macross Plus on BluRay is just a small subset of what one gets in the 30th Anniversary set mentioned in (1) above and even that costs less then this set.
  7. I enjoy good artbooks too so those are certainly a plus but my main focus is to get high quality copies of the episodes with accurate English subtitles and ideally I would prefer they be unedited. Added content doesn't bother me near as much as removed content.  This initially started off as an attempt to get caught up on Macross Zero, Frontier, and Delta but I don't have any of the rest on BluRay yet either so something like the set in (1) above sounds appealing, if it weren't for some of the editing comments I've read.  So what set or sets would people here recommend?

Thanks,

Carl

To the best of my knowledge:

1. This set looks like used one and just the CD's and the sleeves. It doesn't have the bonus, inserts, nor the cool boxes that came with it.

2. Macross F Zentora Blu-Ray set is a remastered version of the series. Probably the eBay link you provided was a used one hence the price difference from the two links you provided.

3. There's no Complete Box Set available yet for Macross Delta since it's just finished.

4. That is Macross Frontier's Shudisuta Hybrid Box Set. It includes a PS3 Frontier game. The reason why it mentioned 30th Anniversary is because it was released during the 30th Anniversary of Macross. And no, that is not the Zentora Set.

5. Can't remember if there were changes or edits done for Macross Frontier regarding gore or graphic scenes on some of the set releases. Unless, you're referring to the Do You Remember Love Anniversary releases?

6. Regarding Macross Plus Complete Blu-Ray Set [Limited Pressing]. Probably because it's not available anymore at MSRP. And most online shops doesn't carry anymore. What's included here is the OAV and the Movie version, with booklet, sketch book, Tenjin illustration, etc.

7. Not sure which set is the best to collect. But just so you know that some releases doesn't have english subtitles yet. But if you can understand Japanese, then those set mentioned above is perfect.

Good luck on the hunt.

Here's some set that most members would recommend:

Macross Zero Blu-Ray Box Set

Macross Blu-Ray Complete Edition

Macross DYRL Hybrid Pack

Macross II Blu-Ray Box

Macross Plus Complete Set

Macross 7 Fire 1

Macross 7 Fire 2

Macross Frontier Zentora Sakari Box Set

Macross Frontier Shudisuta Hybrid Box Set

It would be nice though if we have a pinned thread that mentioned all the DVD, Blu-Ray, etc releases and the infos on each ones. ;)

A quick note: there were two Blu-ray box sets released for the Macross Frontier moves and BOTH of them included a PS3 game. :lol:

This was the first hybrid pack release: 

http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/detail?scode=TVG-PS3-1018

The only downside to this set is that it has no English subtitles. Everything else is great, and it includes a nice box too.

The Macross Frontier Shudisuta box set is preferred because it DOES include English Subtitles, along with a number of other nifty artsy extras. If you are looking for one version of the Frontier movies, get the Shudisuta box set as noel recommends. Official Macross releases that have English subtitles are still few and far between. With Delta, I think fans now have three official Macross BD releases with subs? I'm looking forward to more, myself.

• 3 months later...
On ‎2017‎/‎02‎/‎10 at 3:24 AM, technoblue said:

A quick note: there were two Blu-ray box sets released for the Macross Frontier moves and BOTH of them included a PS3 game. :lol:

This was the first hybrid pack release: 

http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/detail?scode=TVG-PS3-1018

The only downside to this set is that it has no English subtitles. Everything else is great, and it includes a nice box too.

The Macross Frontier Shudisuta box set is preferred because it DOES include English Subtitles, along with a number of other nifty artsy extras. If you are looking for one version of the Frontier movies, get the Shudisuta box set as noel recommends. Official Macross releases that have English subtitles are still few and far between. With Delta, I think fans now have three official Macross BD releases with subs? I'm looking forward to more, myself.

That's quite a huge downside given that English is earth's lingua franca.

• 1 month later...

Not to somewhat necro this thread, but does anyone own the Macross Plus Complete Edition? How is it? I am reading mixed reviews and there's a lot of talk about them having re-dubbed part 4 with new voice actors? Can anyone who owns is clarify for me? It's a HELL of a lot of money for something that I can't seem to get a solid review on.

Thanks.

6 minutes ago, Chewie said:

Not to somewhat necro this thread, but does anyone own the Macross Plus Complete Edition? How is it? I am reading mixed reviews and there's a lot of talk about them having re-dubbed part 4 with new voice actors? Can anyone who owns is clarify for me? It's a HELL of a lot of money for something that I can't seem to get a solid review on.

You mean the Complete Blu-Ray Box (BCXA-0719)?  I've got a copy.

I've had no complaints with the quality of that release.  The video quality is excellent and I took a number of reference screen captures for the Macross Mecha Manual's use.  I can't speak to the quality of the audio transfer from 2.0 to 5.1ch since I watched it on my desktop with kind of a weenie set of speakers instead of my home theater system, but I didn't find anything that's overtly off or upsetting.

I've never actually watched the Macross Plus dub, but I'm given to understand from the Japanese fansites and the disc credits that the "International Version" (English dub) of the Macross Plus OVA episode 4 does in fact have a different cast from the first three episodes.  This was apparently done to address the old English dub's use of different background music and sound effects for that episode for reasons unclear.  The Blu-ray's version restores the original audio for the sound effects and music at the expense of having to commission a new English dub for the episode.  While they were at it, the did a new translation for the script, though they had to change actors for the principal characters because the original actors were not available.

23 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

You mean the Complete Blu-Ray Box (BCXA-0719)?  I've got a copy.

I've had no complaints with the quality of that release.  The video quality is excellent and I took a number of reference screen captures for the Macross Mecha Manual's use.  I can't speak to the quality of the audio transfer from 2.0 to 5.1ch since I watched it on my desktop with kind of a weenie set of speakers instead of my home theater system, but I didn't find anything that's overtly off or upsetting.

I've never actually watched the Macross Plus dub, but I'm given to understand from the Japanese fansites and the disc credits that the "International Version" (English dub) of the Macross Plus OVA episode 4 does in fact have a different cast from the first three episodes.  This was apparently done to address the old English dub's use of different background music and sound effects for that episode for reasons unclear.  The Blu-ray's version restores the original audio for the sound effects and music at the expense of having to commission a new English dub for the episode.  While they were at it, the did a new translation for the script, though they had to change actors for the principal characters because the original actors were not available.

You're the hero we don't deserve.

Thanks!

5 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

I've never actually watched the Macross Plus dub, but I'm given to understand from the Japanese fansites and the disc credits that the "International Version" (English dub) of the Macross Plus OVA episode 4 does in fact have a different cast from the first three episodes.  This was apparently done to address the old English dub's use of different background music and sound effects for that episode for reasons unclear.

Manga stated that their master dub track for episode 4 accidentally got trashed during the dubbing process, so the entire audio track had to be rebuilt from scratch. Since they inserted new foley and omitted some musical tracks in this dub, I wouldn't be surprised if Big West and Bandai forced them create an accurate English dub for Japan for legal reasons. Not to mention that it'd be a little insulting to the show's Japanese directors.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, longtime member who took a REAAALLLY long hiatus, but trying to get back in the game.

Trying to upgrade my DVDs (a lot of bootlegs thanks to Harmony Gold and my lack of Japanese).

Is there a guide here for English subbed, NTSC Macross blu rays?

Main thing I'd be looking for is special features and prefer to have official.

DVDs I have:
1. Animeigo SDF
2. Official FB2012
3. Manga Macross Plus OVA and Movies
4. Bootleg Macross 7 with all the OVAs
5. Bootleg Frontier
6. Bootleg Zero

Thx

6 hours ago, Kamui 777 said:

Hello, longtime member who took a REAAALLLY long hiatus, but trying to get back in the game.

Trying to upgrade my DVDs (a lot of bootlegs thanks to Harmony Gold and my lack of Japanese).

Is there a guide here for English subbed, NTSC Macross blu rays?

Main thing I'd be looking for is special features and prefer to have official.

DVDs I have:
1. Animeigo SDF
2. Official FB2012
3. Manga Macross Plus OVA and Movies
4. Bootleg Macross 7 with all the OVAs
5. Bootleg Frontier
6. Bootleg Zero

Thx

If you preferred officials, we already posted it a few posts above. And IIRC, there's no official english sub except the recent Macross release which is Delta.

Please correct me if I am wrong. Thanks guys! ;)

On 7/15/2017 at 1:02 PM, UN Spacy said:

People frontin their bootleg Macross media on social media. GO YOU.

:lol:

yeah, not very proud of them, but these were bought about 10yrs ago and were actively discussed/recommended here (hence why I bought them).

I'd love to transition to official blurays like I said, but the Eng subs are the challenge.

• 6 months later...

What amuses me are the Macross Blu-rays on ebay that are obviously bootleg..  but charging an arm and leg for them.. lol

off the top of my head.. 

I've got

Animego SDF Macross TV

DYRL + FB 2012 Bandai Collector Box

Manga Video Macross Plus, and Movie

Manga Video Macross 2

9 hours ago, Stampeed Valkyrie said:

What amuses me are the Macross Blu-rays on ebay that are obviously bootleg..  but charging an arm and leg for them.. lol

Well, it's certainly going to help them blend in with the official Macross Blu-rays... those are averaging like $63.50 a disc, and the box sets generally don't discount that.