6 minutes ago, TangledThorns said:

Yeah, reviews are worse than Godzilla. FFS, 2019 is turning out to be a cruddy year for sci-fi/fantasy fans.

Not really. I KNEW this would be a stinker, and Godzilla ended up being just as good as I expected and wanted. So for this sci-fi fan, at least, God's in His Heaven and all's right with the world.

1 hour ago, TangledThorns said:

Yeah, reviews are worse than Godzilla. FFS, 2019 is turning out to be a cruddy year for sci-fi/fantasy fans.

I dunno, from what I've seen from 2019, I've liked Captain Marvel, Avengers:Endgame, and Godzilla:KotM.

Game of Thrones wasn't what I expected, but even the worst GoT is better than 90% of the rest of TV so it gets a bit of a pass from me.

Thankfully, I'm currently consuming JoJo's on Crunchyroll and there's a ton of important, critically acclaimed series for me to catch up on.

Saw it today, and as an ending to the current X-Men films, it didn't feel quite final to me. I liked the film, although a few things stand out:

Spoiler

I thought the death of  Mystique seemed a bit ham-handed to further the plot and influence the actions of certain characters. Moreover, if there is any carryover at all to the original films with Stewart and McKellen, that continuity is shot. I'm not against killing major characters, as I think RDJ's departure in Endgame was done beautifully, and, though really sad, there's a feeling that he's done enough and deserves his respite. Mystique's death felt like a plot point. I think the same effect could have been achieved by having her egregiously wounded, but surviving.

Other than budgetary reasons, I will never understand why alien species keep up the pretense of maintaining a human disguise once they've been found out or are attacking. One would surmise that it would take a bit of concentration to maintain the disguise, and once you're attacking, it seems to me the necessity is all but nil. :rolleyes:

Jessica Chastain's makeup did her no favors.  More to her character, I wish she and her alien buddies had been written with more nuance as to motive. They want the power of the Dark Phoenix entity, but IMHO, it would have been a better bit of story if their intention was to harness it to prevent it from further destroying more worlds, and though their intentions were primarily altruistic, they were willing to bend or break with ethical and moral considerations to affect the greater good. But no, they're just greedy shape-shifting a-holes. -_-

I thought they did a good job with showcasing the various characters' powers. The final battle scene was fun.

I liked the new Blackbird, although I have to wonder where they put the engine nozzles to affect VTOL. CG magic to the cinematic rescue!

Magneto's story has been more compelling, IMHO, than that of the X-Men in this continuity, and so it is with this movie, too. Michael Fassbender has done a great job in the role. 

Hypothetically speaking, if mutants with amazing abilities existed as portrayed, I have to wonder at the sheer audacity of a no-notice non-mutant military incursion into a federally appointed enclave of mutants led by one of the most powerful of said mutants with known baggage. Methinks it the wiser choice to create an all-mutant task force within the military to both undertake special missions where their talents will best serve and to act as unofficial ambassadors to such mutant enclaves where dialog rather than M-16s achieve cooperation. As a non-mutant former military member, I can honestly say I'd be more than just a little concerned if I had to make an uninvited visit to a mutant settlement where distrust of outsiders, especially non-mutants, and doubly so of the military, was highly significant and prone to severely unfavorable outcome on the non-mutant front. Just sayin'

I'm not a comics reader, but I believe Jean Grey had a whole story arc as the Dark Phoenix, and that is only hinted at here. As a character, though, much like Captain Marvel, she's such a powerful entity that it would take someone like Captain Marvel, or someone even more powerful, to take her down. It kinda becomes ridiculous, even within the realm of the ridiculousness of super powerful people in costumes.:)

17 hours ago, M'Kyuun said:

Hide contents

I'm not a comics reader, but I believe Jean Grey had a whole story arc as the Dark Phoenix, and that is only hinted at here. As a character, though, much like Captain Marvel, she's such a powerful entity that it would take someone like Captain Marvel, or someone even more powerful, to take her down. It kinda becomes ridiculous, even within the realm of the ridiculousness of super powerful people in costumes.:)

In my opinion, the biggest problem they keep having with adapting the Phoenix saga is that no one has the gumption to actually portray it in the original format.  Yes, the Phoenix was insanely powerful, and when Jean lost control of it, she killed an entire solar system.  When aliens showed up for justice, and the X-Men tried to defend her, she once again lost control, and she realized that she was the one who had to stop herself, permanently.

While they backpedaled on the finality of her death, and had her reborn through some sort of typical comic-bookery, it didn't happen for some time.  The only way this story ends properly is with her committing suicide, and for entirely understandable reasons, I don't think anyone wants to film that.

Ironman sacrificing himself as a last ditch effort is slightly different than a person throwing herself into an alien device (that wasn't any sort of threat to anyone at the time, that I know of) to stop her friends from defending her against a charge of mass genocide. 

Edited by Chronocidal

Now, for quite some time, the last two Bryan Singer X-Men movies (Days of Future Past and Apocalypse) and even 2009’s Wolverine: X-Men Origins have been Frankenstein-ed together during their last phases of production. Richard Donner reportedly finished Wolverine, while the village-effort of producer Hutch Parker, producer/scribe Simon Kinberg (both not available for comment on this piece), DP Newton Thomas Sigel, and editor/composer John Ottman picked up the huge slack on Days of Future Past and Apocalypse whenever Singer would reportedly go AWOL from the set. Kinberg, after his long tenure on the X-Men franchise and after finishing directing on Josh Trank’s Fantastic Four, was finally bestowed with Dark Phoenix, and with support from the Apocalypse cast, including Jennifer Lawrence.

The guy went AWOL and he still had jobs after?? What a nice life

https://deadline.com/2019/06/dark-phoenix-bombs-at-the-box-office-reasons-why-1202629749/

49 minutes ago, hachi said:

The guy went AWOL and he still had jobs after?

He infamously abandoned Bohemian Rhapsody as well, for days at a time... for which Fox rightfully canned his ass before the film was completed.

• 3 months later...

Never saw the movie but I lol'ed at evil space cloud! And it's sad that these newbie director guys fail upward, wasting tons of money and everybody else's time. At least I didn't spend anything on this, last X-Men movie I saw in theatres was Days of Future Past. I dodged major disappointment when I decided not to watch Apocalypse.

Monopoly accusations vs Disney aside, I'm really happy that the X-Men movie rights are back under Marvel. I read some X-Men (back in college), and the X-Men adaptations, while some aspects are competent (casting for instance), just doesn't excite me like the MCU does. Or maybe it's just a curse, me having read more source material from X-Men than Avengers/Thor/GOTG etc. But I'm hoping that Marvel Studios can bring us a better adaptation.