Energon Prime

Etrigan

If Syd MEad designed Transformers it would probably be the coolest thing ever done in the history of toys, if they captured his design correctly in manufacturing.

Turn-A Gundam was a great design, it didn't throw away the original look at all, instead it shot off in a brand new and unexected direction that was a much art as it was great design. Syd would give us a Prime we can't begin to imagine, but one that would live in legend.

My say is this. Fire the whole lot of them over at Hasbro. Turn the transformer department back into a Marketing department, just like how thet were in G1. Takara can do whatever they want, Hasbro justs imports them, slaps on a name and markets. Takara already knows how to create great bots, we saw them in Car Robots when they ran wild. You don't mess with a machine that ain't broke, otherwise you screw up teh works. And thats what this Archer guy has done, he's screwed it up with his big beefy hand of American know-how. Damn it!

If Syd MEad designed Transformers it would probably be the coolest thing ever done in the history of toys, if they captured his design correctly in manufacturing.

I thought he did an admirable job designing the Yamato (in Yamato 2520), it's too bad it didn't go farther than one or two episodes. :blink:

The problem is, a large portion of the Transformers fan base is behind "Orson" (Archer) 100%.

Their claim is that the 20% portion the collector's make up of the market is insignificant to Hasbro. Rather, Hasbro must focus on kids and create a line that is both easy to transform and very durable. Hence we get excuses for poor detailing and cost cutting measures such as reduced poseability.

Hot Shot is a travesty, and is supported by a surprisingly large amount of fans. It's no surprise that this aesthetic has been reproduced for Energon as it is ridiculously cheap to produce and consequently has a higher return.

Transformers are in a sad state.

Out of curiousity, out of the people here who are whining about how much the new kids line sucks, how many of you have seen the fan line, Alternators? I mean, Energon is supposed to be neon bright, simple, and mostly disturbing to older folks, since kids will eat it up. Alternators is where we'll get the licensed cars with cool transformations and posability. Aside from Starscream, I think pretty much everything shown from Energon is crap, but I don't really much care since there's a better TF toyline coming at the same time.

Wether that Scoponock thing is Megatron or not it still looks like complete crap, as do all of these...things. They at least tried when the did Beast Wars/Machines. Everything after has been blasphemous to the original.

On a side note this has given me my laugh of the week. Megapimp.

megs_pimpride.jpg

I predict a problem for Hasbro in the future. The same problem that gutted the comic book industry. Looking at all the repaints, and tons of crap thats coming out with only a few redeeming figures. I see the bubble bursting. People simply can't buy it all, and with so much crap on the market already there is going to be a point where people have enough and throw in the towel.

Archer is a stupid numnut, the very fact that Hasbro has allowed this virtual fool to turn himself into a fan celebrity will come back to bite them on the ass when they try to get rid of him. People like him are flavor of the month, as soon as they get tired of him he's going to be sent out and new guy will come in. All the fan's backing won't save him from that fate.

Hasbro already tried that before and that replacement was Rodimus Prime, an angst-ridden wimp who whines his doubts of leadership that is worse than Shinji Ikari. :lol:

touche. let me rephrase then...redesign their leader into a no-nonsense, ass-kicking, *Leader* who given the opportunity will roll over a Decepticon's head and not give it a second thought. what kid wouldn't want to see that??

Who is Archer/"orson" anyway?

Aaron Archer (aka Orson) is the chief Transformers toy designer at Hasbro. Most of the Armada (and the future Energon) toys are credited by him.

He is also one of the few insiders at Hasbro (since he's an employee) who hangs out on TF message boards under the name "Orson". Check the message board of www.tfw2005.com, click onto the "News, Rumours and the Future" section and you'll find a sub-section of the board devoted to Orson, under the name "Orson's World".

If you want to b*tch at him, go to the board if you want.

I predict a problem for Hasbro in the future. The same problem that gutted the comic book industry. Looking at all the repaints, and tons of crap thats coming out with only a few redeeming figures. I see the bubble bursting. People simply can't buy it all, and with so much crap on the market already there is going to be a point where people have enough and throw in the towel.

Archer is a stupid numnut, the very fact that Hasbro has allowed this virtual fool to turn himself into a fan celebrity will come back to bite them on the ass when they try to get rid of him. People like him are flavor of the month, as soon as they get tired of him he's going to be sent out and new guy will come in. All the fan's backing won't save him from that fate.

Very true. These are the same factors as to why the Generation 1 line was killed off back in 1990:

* drop the use of diecast metal and rubber tires.

* stop using realistic alt-modes and instead use "high-tech" alt-modes.

* the line was riddled with gimmick-oriented toys (Headmasters, Powermasters, Targetmasters).

* some sublines make the line worse (Pretenders, Action Masters).

* Lastly, they use lousy color schemes/paint apps (neon colors, mismatched schemes, etc.)

Fortunately, Generation 1 was able to last longer in Europe and Japan, where they made better toys that were more playable.

Whoever was running Hasbro are probably the same idiots who did the worse marketing decisions during G1. Because of their mindset, this the reason why Bob Forward and Larry DiTillo (the Beast Wars script editors/writers) were fired. Bob and Larry are diehard fans who cared not only for the hardcore fans but also for the youngsters who are also fans. They did a lot of balancing the storytelling without dumbing down the audience.

Simon Furman (TF comic book writer) wanted to write for the Armada show or the upcoming Energon one, but Hasbro said no to the request. :angry:

Out of curiousity, out of the people here who are whining about how much the new kids line sucks, how many of you have seen the fan line, Alternators? I mean, Energon is supposed to be neon bright, simple, and mostly disturbing to older folks, since kids will eat it up. Alternators is where we'll get the licensed cars with cool transformations and posability. Aside from Starscream, I think pretty much everything shown from Energon is crap, but I don't really much care since there's a better TF toyline coming at the same time.

I have seen Alternators and I'm sold. ;) I like the concept back into realistic alt-modes.

Still, there are still hardcore fans (including myself) who are vocally against the direction Hasbro is pushing. They believe that Armada and Energon is both a mistake and an insult to the Transformers name. Such fans wanted the serious storytelling back, much like what Bob Forward and Larry DiTillo did for Beast Wars. Those writers did an excellent balance of seriousness, humour and enjoyment for both the hardcore and the youngsters. That show brought me back into Transformers.

Shade, if you think youngsters would just follow what Armada and Energon stands for. Think again.

When my 8 year-old nephew visits my place for a party, I shown him my robot toy shelf of Valks, Beast Wars, Robots in Disguise and G1 stuff. He is from the Beast Wars/Beast Machines/Robots in Disguise variety.

Him (points to G1 Prime, who's next to RID Prime): Who's this next to Optimus Prime? It looks cool.

Me: Optimus Prime.

Him: No way. He doesn't look like Prime.

Me (transforming the toy): It's him for sure.

Him: Wow. Looks wicked.

Him (looking through the Transformers Generations book and points the G1 Megatron picture): This is so cool. Who is he?

Me (points to the heading): That's Megatron.

Him: You can't be serious. He doesn't look like him.

Me (shows G1 Megatron): He is Megatron. I'll transform him for you.

Him (holding G1 Megatron in gun mode): This is a great toy.

You should have seen his reaction to Tranformers: the Movie. He got excited watching it, especially when Megatron started killing the Autobots aboard the shuttle. He also got surprises of the way some of the names from BW/BM/RID were also on the movie.

Anubis, is it just me, or is that Megatron shooting at Cliffjumper picture you showed us make it look like ol' Megs is driving and antique version of the Batmobile?

As for the Energon Megs/Scorponok, is it me, or does it look like he was assembled out of LEGOs?

Yeah.... you get that from the overly colorful set up. No self respecting robot would wear such colorful pieces. <_<

Anubis, is it just me, or is that Megatron shooting at Cliffjumper picture you showed us make it look like ol' Megs is driving and antique version of the Batmobile?

As for the Energon Megs/Scorponok, is it me, or does it look like he was assembled out of LEGOs?

Yeah.... you get that from the overly colorful set up. No self respecting robot would wear such colorful pieces. <_<

I disagree. He looks much more like a bad korean bootleg, what with all those pointless "details" and the mismatched coloring.

I disagree. He looks much more like a bad korean bootleg, what with all those pointless "details" and the mismatched coloring.

Thats what I meant. I'm tired of the new utlra colorful TFs. I want my TFs to have decent dark colors.... I don't want them to look like cheap third world country toys. <_<

Wether that Scoponock thing is Megatron or not it still looks like complete crap, as do all of these...things. They at least tried when the did Beast Wars/Machines. Everything after has been blasphemous to the original.

On a side note this has given me my laugh of the week. Megapimp.

megs_pimpride.jpg

LMAO! Bat Megatron? Weres Star Robin? :lol:

Shade, if you think youngsters would just follow what Armada and Energon stands for. Think again.

Gee, I guess those quarterly reports from Hasbro must all be lies then, since all of them say that Armada is selling better than RiD did.

Just because your nephew appreciates quality toys when he sees them doesn't mean every other kid does. And the fact that Armada DOES sell so well means that most kids probably don't.

Armada is a big moneymaker for Hasbro, and Energon might be too. Just because you and I think that the designs released for Energon are beyond hideous does not mean that kids automatically will. Your nephew probably won't like it, because you've corrupted him into wanting quality toys. :p

Gee, I guess those quarterly reports from Hasbro must all be lies then, since all of them say that Armada is selling better than RiD did.

Just because your nephew appreciates quality toys when he sees them doesn't mean every other kid does. And the fact that Armada DOES sell so well means that most kids probably don't.

Armada is a big moneymaker for Hasbro, and Energon might be too. Just because you and I think that the designs released for Energon are beyond hideous does not mean that kids automatically will. Your nephew probably won't like it, because you've corrupted him into wanting quality toys. :p

Armada sells well because it is simply following the wave.... the wave started by Pokemon and Digimon... otherwise, why the heck would Hasbro see the need to add mincons on the show? Are they really necessary? Seriously... the show is meant for kids, and kids now a days will shallow everything.

If you are used to collecting toys is obvious that your relatives will have some sort of standard just by looking at you.

Armada sells well because it is simply following the wave.... the wave started by Pokemon and Digimon... otherwise, why the heck would Hasbro see the need to add mincons on the show? Are they really necessary? Seriously... the show is meant for kids, and kids now a days will shallow everything.

If you are used to collecting toys is obvious that your relatives will have some sort of standard just by looking at you.

I think Optimus Prime's name sould be Optimus Catchem.

Gotta Gotta Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Vostok 7

OK, OK, I know that RID and Armada are moneymakers but my nephew's curiousity insists on what are my G1 toys are. We both have some good times looking through the Generations book and the Cybertronian Guides on who's who.

And yes, much of the line are flying off the shelves except for a few, such as Armada Laserbeak for one. Although most of Armada is fudgy, I do bought some good gems like Blurr (a good high-tech alt-mode) and the Street Speed Minicon team (it has realistic alt-modes with good colors). I plan to get Unicron one day since it's the closest thing to a "realistic looking" Unicron toy.

Yet, my nephew is sold into G1 when he played with the G1 toys and watching the movie. After the movie, he got to watch some G1 episodes and later played with my G1 Jetfire toy (but I drew the line that he should not play with my Yamato Macross toys).

When the party was over, I gave him an orignal G1 Optimus Prime (with most of the accessories) since I have the New Year's Prime re-issue. :D He did want the re-issue but I promise to him that he may get one next year.

Now that was over, I'll see if I can make my nephew to like Macross. ;)

Just because your nephew appreciates quality toys when he sees them doesn't mean every other kid does.  And the fact that Armada DOES sell so well means that most kids probably don't.

Armada is a big moneymaker for Hasbro, and Energon might be too.  Just because you and I think that the designs released for Energon are beyond hideous does not mean that kids automatically will.  Your nephew probably won't like it, because you've corrupted him into wanting quality toys.  :p

OK, OK, I know that RID and Armada are moneymakers but my nephew's curiousity insists on what are my G1 toys are. We both have some good times looking through the Generations book and the Cybertronian Guides on who's who.

And yes, much of the line are flying off the shelves except for a few, such as Armada Laserbeak for one. Although most of Armada is fudgy, I do bought some good gems like Blurr (a good high-tech alt-mode) and the Street Speed Minicon team (it has realistic alt-modes with good colors). I plan to get Unicron one day since it's the closest thing to a "realistic looking" Unicron toy.

Yet, my nephew is sold into G1 when he played with the G1 toys and watching the movie. After the movie, he got to watch some G1 episodes and later played with my G1 Jetfire toy (but I drew the line that he should not play with my Yamato Macross toys).

When the party was over, I gave him an orignal G1 Optimus Prime (with most of the accessories) since I have the New Year's Prime re-issue. :D He did want the re-issue but I promise to him that he may get one next year.

Now that was over, I'll see if I can make my nephew to like Macross. ;)

Well... thats because one out of every 10 mundane kids is born with a brain... thats the case with your nephew. Or its simply curiosity... you probably rant and rave aboutt he good old days, don't you? <_<

Well, they could have made a decent story about slavery out of Armada if Simon Furman had been allowed to write it. Instead of beeping Pokecons, they talk and have personality in the comics. I wonder if Micron Legend has the Microns talking or beeping?

Well... thats because one out of every 10 mundane kids is born with a brain... thats the case with your nephew. Or its simply curiosity... you probably rant and rave aboutt he good old days, don't you? <_<

*waves walker around* I remember back in the old days, when you could KILL a man at twenty paces by throwing a Transformer at him! Thems were all die-cast, they were!

*waves walker around* I remember back in the old days, when you could KILL a man at twenty paces by throwing a Transformer at him! Thems were all die-cast, they were!

Talking about killing a man with a TF.... I once threw one at my cousin.... he got quite the bruise, now thats what I call a toy!! :lol:

Well, they could have made a decent story about slavery out of Armada if Simon Furman had been allowed to write it. Instead of beeping Pokecons, they talk and have personality in the comics. I wonder if Micron Legend has the Microns talking or beeping?

Good plot and popular anime in America are 2 words that do not go well together. <_<