Energon Prime

Etrigan

Might I remind everyone that I once posted pictures comparing Yamato's YF-19 and the Beast Machines Jetstorm and the fanboys there overwhelmingly declared that Jetstorm looked better and looked more realistic. That should tell you something about a good number of Transfans these days. This is when I was arguing that the Robots in Disguise vehicle modes for the Car Brothers looked more realistic than Hotshot and most people there disagreed with me.

part of my theory is that transformer fans of the new generation, those who buy armada and energon are not used to shelling out. Unlike most of us who are full aware that quality costs money. When a transfan see's a quality toy he will say oooooooh but be turned off by the price and his view shall be colored negativly. Look at the response to the alternators toys, the japanese Vs American. Its all about price for them, they don't understand, its not just a matter of price it is quality. Transformers new fanbase is a group from 8 to 15 who are not mature enough to truly understand the good stuff IMHO. (for all those who are also macross fans and transfans, no insult to you as you probably know a quality toy when you see one)

I don't think prime is meant to have a mouth.

If you want to see something that will scare you (or laugh) senseless, here's something from the G1 era:

http://www.appstate.edu/~th42428/files/cover.jpg

http://www.appstate.edu/~th42428/files/map.jpg

http://www.appstate.edu/~th42428/files/hound.jpg

http://www.appstate.edu/~th42428/files/meg...gs_pimpride.jpg

http://www.appstate.edu/~th42428/files/the_end.jpg

This is definately wrong. :blink:

:blink::blink::blink::blink::blink:

I'll never look at Optimus Prime the same way again!

True, but the G2 Gobots/RID Spychangers were the worst-case scenario of repaints for different characters. The basic six molds (Hot Shot, REV, WARS, Crosswise, Mirage and Ironhide) had three color variants to represent different characters and some fans got upset on Hasbro on not being innovative. Hasbro flooded them and got oversaturated on the shelves, which is happing the same thing with the RID Spychangers.

Yeah, the Gobot molds are the most abused ones around. At least Hasbro dug out four of the never released ones for RiD.

The idea came from the RID Autobot Brothers, who got new color schemes as their "power-up" versions of themselves. This now ended up as a brainbug now, which ended up onto Armada, Universe and Energon lines. <_<

Well, if you want to be really technical about it, it was originally the Car Robot Brothers from Car Robots who received their Super modes. So it's Takara's fault! TAKARA'S! :p

For those NOT foaming at the mouth in outrage at my last comment, that's a not-so-subtle jab at those fans who believe that Takara can do no wrong, while Hasbro utterly sucks in everything it does.

Oh, I almost forgot. The Machine Robo Rescue toys just got "power-up" versions of the Machine Robos now released, as shown on HLJ. Kinda making an in-nod to Transformers there, huh.

It's a way of life in toys. How many Yammie VF-1s are just repaints or just have a slightly different head? ;) That's never stopped many of us from buying them.

At first glance, it looks like Optimus Prime abducted the Machine Robos from Machine Robo Rescue, spraypainted them in KO colors and force them to gattai with him. :lol:

You know, someone should do a photo strip where Prowl and Mach Alert investigate Sentimus Prime for kidnapping of innocent Machine Robos...

Oh, and incidently, I've heard it said that if you actually like everything about a TF line, then you're not a real TransFan. :p

How many Yammie VF-1s are just repaints or just have a slightly different head?  That's never stopped many of us from buying them.

VF-1's are aircraft, they're mindless machines and are meant to exist as a fleet. The characterization for the series lies in the pilots themselves who are very individual. With Transformers the robots are the individuals, and to have them repainted and powered up is pointless.

Edited by Etrigan

How many Yammie VF-1s are just repaints or just have a slightly different head?  That's never stopped many of us from buying them.

VF-1's are aircraft, they're mindless machines and are meant to exist as a fleet. The characterization for the series lies in the pilots themselves who are very individual. With Transformers the robots are the individuals, and to have them repainted and powered up is pointless.

Incorrect. Repaints serve to extend the lifespan of a series, and might entice a person into buying a mold that they had previously passed on thanks to the hideous paintjob. Case in point, Powerlinx Hotshot. Many many people passed on the original thanks to the dayglow yellow and the stupid face, but some might reconsider and pick up his repaint, with the Hot Rod colors and remolded face. It's not bad business sense.

Oh, and I'd like to point out that despite being as individual as a stormtrooper, CF VF-1s tend to be popular, even though we don't meet their pilots, and we know they have a very short life span.

I'm quoting you here again because the VF-1's are not the characters of the series. I want to make sure you understand that, because this is vital for understanding why repainted Valkyries are not the same as repainted Transformers.

Oh, and I'd like to point out that despite being as individual as a stormtrooper, CF VF-1s tend to be popular, even though we don't meet their pilots, and we know they have a very short life span.

And again, this is an entirely different point of view. Stormtroopers, Cobra Vipers, CF's... they all are faceless because their characterization is unimportant. They exist to show the size of the army. In contrast, and aside from Beast Machines, Transformers have never had faceless drones. There are no fleets of Transformers. The armies are made of very unique individuals.

What we're looking at with Armada and Energon (Archer has said every Autobot toy will be repainted in Energon...) is a line composed of very specific individual characters who, to procure more profits without effort, are being repainted. So we have:

Hotshot x2

Cyclonus x2

Smokescreen x2

Demolishor x2

Instead of:

Hotshot and Hot Rod

Cyclonus and Springer

Smokescreen and Hoist

Demolishor and Bludgeon

I'm not arguing business practices here; obviously Hasbro stands to make a lot of money from the sale of toys that they don't have to put time and money into designing and tooling. But, money is the only reason they are doing so. Again, Transformer armies are made up of unique individuals. So to repaint these individuals and sell them as the same individuals is contrite. Skywarp, Cliffjumper etc. are acceptable because they are different, unique characters. But I can't imagine being a completist of Armada and owning two of every toy simply because of new paint apps.

Might I remind everyone that I once posted pictures comparing Yamato's YF-19 and the Beast Machines Jetstorm and the fanboys there overwhelmingly declared that Jetstorm looked better and looked more realistic. That should tell you something about a good number of Transfans these days. This is when I was arguing that the Robots in Disguise vehicle modes for the Car Brothers looked more realistic than Hotshot and most people there disagreed with me.

part of my theory is that transformer fans of the new generation, those who buy armada and energon are not used to shelling out. Unlike most of us who are full aware that quality costs money. When a transfan see's a quality toy he will say oooooooh but be turned off by the price and his view shall be colored negativly. Look at the response to the alternators toys, the japanese Vs American. Its all about price for them, they don't understand, its not just a matter of price it is quality. Transformers new fanbase is a group from 8 to 15 who are not mature enough to truly understand the good stuff IMHO. (for all those who are also macross fans and transfans, no insult to you as you probably know a quality toy when you see one)

Price never came up, though. Not once. We were simply comparing the looks of the toys.

Some of the arguments I heard went something like this.

"Well, because the rest of the toy looks so realistic, the screws and joints really stand out, making it look very toy-ish. While since Jetstorm looks more toyish overall, those don't stand out nearly so much so that makes him look more realistic than this YF-19 thing."

"Hotshot looks more realistic than the Car Brothers because he has a gas cap, and they didn't!"

Price never came up, though. Not once. We were simply comparing the looks of the toys.

Some of the arguments I heard went something like this.

"Well, because the rest of the toy looks so realistic, the screws and joints really stand out, making it look very toy-ish. While since Jetstorm looks more toyish overall, those don't stand out nearly so much so that makes him look more realistic than this YF-19 thing."

"Hotshot looks more realistic than the Car Brothers because he has a gas cap, and they didn't!"

while the jetstorm vs VF-19 one I can kinda understand as the yamato VF-19 looks kinda bad, the Hotshot vs bros is just dumb <_<

Edited by GobotFool

Well, yeah, the old Yamato 19 looks bad compared to what we've been getting from Yamato lately, but it still looks a lot better than what Transformers have been getting for years now.

When the new YF-19 resculpt comes back show them that. I'll bet you'll get the argument..... "buhhhhhhh....... well....... its not a transformer it sucks" <_< :p

So what do you say to the people who bought the Toynami Morphers? For $15 dollars a pop they sure were expensive, but the quality certainly was not there.

vinnie

EDIT IN: Or even the MPC at MSRP.

Edited by justvinnie

So what do you say to the people who bought the Toynami Morphers? For $15 dollars a pop they sure were expensive, but the quality certainly was not there.

vinnie

EDIT IN: Or even the MPC at MSRP.

well...... hmmmmmmmmm hey raise of hands who bought these POS's? *finds self dumbfounded people raise hands* ummmmmm I'll just go nurse my sanity back to health over in this corner.