New Macross TV Series in 20xx (sometime this decade)

Tochiro

1 hour ago, treatment said:

BW and Bandai should just hire Makoto Shinkai and his team for the new Macross series...

He'll prolly script and exquisitely animate a bunch of lonesome sentient valks with deep immersive stories about owning a space cat or something.

Why the heck not, eh?

I went from "Ew, no..." at the beginning to "Hm, actually..." in the middle to "Yeah... Yeah...! Yeah, I like this idea!" at the end.

Shinkai does a lot of beautiful imagery, which no doubt influenced the work of Satelight, and he would certainly give the new generation of Macross characters some meticulous, beautiful feet. Beyond that... I think VF combat would have to take on a totally different tone. Not bad different, just... different. Slower, more contemplative, maybe.

3 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Nobody's used Zero to excuse Delta.  

It's been cited as an example of another Macross show with similar writing problems to Delta's... how the writing suffers when one part of the Macross equation becomes the sole focus.  We all still love it for its gorgeous dogfight scenes, even if we admit that the writing was a bit dodgy.

That could get pretty dark... I mean, trapped in a MMO?  Macross Galaxy's civilian population is canonically kind of already there.  They're all cyborgs, and even before the Galaxy Executives started mind-controlling them all they were living most of their lives in cyberspace to avoid confronting the utilitarian cyberpunk dystopia the fleet had become after its corporate government legalized implants.  Like if the hallucination in the despair squid episode of Red Dwarf were reality...

Isn't Macross Dandy basically just a lazy Isamu?

(Heck, Sharon's a big hologram like Admiral Perry, and one of her staffers looks a bit like Dr. Gel.)

So here's a question.

I don't think anyone here would disagree if I said that Macross Delta didn't really get a lot of use out of its setting, the huge Brisingr Globular Cluster with its twenty-something new colonized planets.  Would you guys be down for another series set in the same locale, but featuring an all-new cast unrelated to the previous one?  Like what Macross the Ride did with being set in the Macross Frontier fleet but having the cast of the series appear only as background characters?

Part of the thing that concerned me when Delta was coming was that it was mainly going to be confined to a single planet. I prefer a large cosmic canvass.

I guess it could work if there are some interesting alien races and locales there.

11 minutes ago, Podtastic said:

Part of the thing that concerned me when Delta was coming was that it was mainly going to be confined to a single planet. I prefer a large cosmic canvass.

I guess it could work if there are some interesting alien races and locales there.

You mean Cat-people didn't do it for you?!

Lol, while Macross is no stranger to other sub-protoculture races that one took a little more effort for me to deal with somehow. Even the Ragnans being basically Merfolk didn't really bug me as much somehow.

Edited by Master Dex

1 minute ago, Master Dex said:

Lol, while Macross is no stranger to other sub-protoculture races that one took a little more effort for me to deal with somehow. Even the Ragnans being basically Merfolk didn't really bug me as much somehow.

The truly awesome thing in Macross for me has never been the transforming fighters. Its the alien-invasion-cycle-type concept of a warmachine of innumerable genetically engineered giant soldiers with really interesting ship and mecha designs.

So what I'm trying to say is that Macross needs somehow to return to that level of sci-fi awesomeness, and not descend further into the meh depths of just-another-nondescript-anime that Delta took us too. Doing that in the Walkure/Windermere tarnished Brisingr Globular Cluster (terrible name) is going to need something unique/creative.

9 hours ago, Podtastic said:

The truly awesome thing in Macross for me has never been the transforming fighters. Its the alien-invasion-cycle-type concept of a warmachine of innumerable genetically engineered giant soldiers with really interesting ship and mecha designs.

So what I'm trying to say is that Macross needs somehow to return to that level of sci-fi awesomeness, and not descend further into the meh depths of just-another-nondescript-anime that Delta took us too. Doing that in the Walkure/Windermere tarnished Brisingr Globular Cluster (terrible name) is going to need something unique/creative.

Honestly,  I would not mind if Grace O'Connor dropped some of her mega dimensional bombs on that cluster. 

11 hours ago, Valkyrie addict said:

Sooooo... any news about the new series itself or when can we get any?

None thus far.  If the pattern holds from Frontier and Delta, we can expect them to officially confirm that a new series is in the works sometime next month.

9 hours ago, Master Dex said:

I'll admit, even as someone who thinks the Brisingr globular cluster offers a unique and fascinating setting for future Macross storytelling... I'd have a much easier time with the Voldorans if they had done more to make them look alien like they did with the Ragnans.  The Voldorans should've been more given designs that were more obviously evocative of their evolutionary origins as a species of forest-dwelling predatory feline.  What we got was more like The Planet of Nekomimi Cosplay, and that's almost as terrible as the number of cat puns that came with it.

(Somehow, I imagine after decades of dealing with Humans and Zentradi who were raised in Earth culture, the Voldorans have long since grown tired of cat puns.)

Then again, decades of Star Trek fandom have long since conditioned me to accept the humanlike rubber forehead aliens.

So what I'm trying to say is that Macross needs somehow to return to that level of sci-fi awesomeness, and not descend further into the meh depths of just-another-nondescript-anime that Delta took us too.

There's a very obvious problem with that idea.

Namely, that if you keep bringing back the same antagonist or type of antagonist over and over it very quickly gets old and loses all of its punch.

Gundam's Universal Century is a great example of this.  The idea of a resurgent Principality of Zeon was an "oh crap!" moment when it was first used in Zeta Gundam, but after the third or fourth time that a Neo-Zeon group came crawling out of the woodwork to threaten a colony drop, it had lost its punch and devolved into "So what are the leftover Zeeks calling themselves this year?". 

Star Trek's writers had a similar problem with the Borg.  When the Borg were first introduced, they were a disturbingly alien threat that was beyond anything the Federation had ever encountered.  A few really good stories were done that maximized the alien-ness of them, but then overuse started to cause consequences that ate into their ability to intimidate like "Descent" where the Borg ended up being manipulated by Data's evil twin brother.  They lost the other-ness that made them such a thoroughly unsettling antagonist, and became just another race of rubber forehead aliens, trying to recapture some of that scariness via First Contact reinventing them as cyborg space zombies.  The minimal gains from that were undercut by once again putting a face and a name to them with the invention of the Borg Queen, and then making them a recurring antagonist on Star Trek: Voyager, where any remaining ability to intimidate was lost forever when the kind of ships that were known for being able to hold off whole fleets singlehandedly were being repeatedly outmaneuvered and defeated by a single lightly-armed Starfleet science ship.  They could also never be used in large numbers because they were previously established to be so powerful that sending more than one cube to attack Earth would result in a no-win scenario for the heroes.

The Zentradi Army suffers from similar drawbacks in Macross.  Not only has the other-ness of the Zentradi been significantly diminished by the way they're genetically basically identical to humans and easily blend into human society, with many characters being part-Zentradi; they've also got a scale problem similar to the Borg that impedes using them.  A Zentradi Army main fleet is such a huge, overwhelmingly powerful force that there's no beating one.  The best anyone can really do when confronted with one is run the hell away.  Beating one in 2010 was a fluke, and even then more than half of the fleet survived.  If that fluke repeats itself over and over again, the Zentradi Army's ability to intimidate goes down the tubes.  So, to preserve the Zentradi as an actual threat they have to be avoided, and used sparingly and only in small numbers as hostiles.  Creating new antagonists on the same scale runs into all the same problems, plus the "and why haven't we heard of THESE guys if they're also everywhere?" issue too.

Doing that in the Walkure/Windermere tarnished Brisingr Globular Cluster (terrible name) is going to need something unique/creative.

Significant name... if you were following the theme they've been building on since Macross 30.

15 minutes ago, RealJayDee said:

Honestly,  I would not mind if Grace O'Connor dropped some of her mega dimensional bombs on that cluster. 

Harsh!  (Though, to be fair, the NUNS did actually make the attempt in-series.)

Here's an idea for a new series:

First episode starts with a flashback to Zero/pre-SDFM-era. An astrologist points out a specific star in the sky, spouts some sort of speculative nonsense about said star that will eventually reveal itself to be true (or does it???), then cut to present future day where an emigration fleet is starting on its way to explore that system. Rest of the series spends its time exploring planets along the way, all while gathering small clues as to the true nature of said final planet.

Idols if you have to, alien antagonists if you have to, but mostly it's just Macross-style Star Trek.

I dunno, I'd dig the change of pace.

20 hours ago, kajnrig said:

Idols if you have to, alien antagonists if you have to, but mostly it's just Macross-style Star Trek.

"What does God need with a Super Dimension Fortress?"

7 hours ago, Podtastic said:

But (essentially) the same protagonist over and over doesn't?

Depends how similar they actually are.

The various Macross series have been pretty good about mixing it up over the years, so even while the characters follow broadly similar paths of development they're all quite distinct.  They changed with the times, and their characterization tended to reflect social issues in Japan.  Arguably, it'd be Hayate who's most similar to another Macross protagonist (Alto), and he's still so different in terms of his motivations and temperament that there's no confusing the two.

Franchises that DO have essentially (or literally) the same protagonist over and over again do have problems as a result of it getting samey or wearing out their welcome.  Gundam has this issue with the Universal Century timeline, in that a lot of its protagonists outside of the OVAs are basically the same exact character as Amuro... the bored, angsty kid from a wealthy background whose family'd been involved in the creation of the Gundam.  Judau's the only one who really breaks the mold.  It also became a problem for Star Wars, which (pre-Disney) reused the SAME characters so often the stories became quite absurd and ultimately had to be thrown out.  The "other" series, The-Show-That-Must-Not-Be-Named, caught a LOT of flak for its new generations of "original" characters all being blatant expies of the most popular (Macross) characters and progressively less likeable with each new iteration as a result of it all getting stale.

14 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Depends how similar they actually are.

The various Macross series have been pretty good about mixing it up over the years, so even while the characters follow broadly similar paths of development they're all quite distinct.  They changed with the times, and their characterization tended to reflect social issues in Japan.  Arguably, it'd be Hayate who's most similar to another Macross protagonist (Alto), and he's still so different in terms of his motivations and temperament that there's no confusing the two.

Franchises that DO have essentially (or literally) the same protagonist over and over again do have problems as a result of it getting samey or wearing out their welcome.  Gundam has this issue with the Universal Century timeline, in that a lot of its protagonists outside of the OVAs are basically the same exact character as Amuro... the bored, angsty kid from a wealthy background whose family'd been involved in the creation of the Gundam.  Judau's the only one who really breaks the mold.  It also became a problem for Star Wars, which (pre-Disney) reused the SAME characters so often the stories became quite absurd and ultimately had to be thrown out.  The "other" series, The-Show-That-Must-Not-Be-Named, caught a LOT of flak for its new generations of "original" characters all being blatant expies of the most popular (Macross) characters and progressively less likeable with each new iteration as a result of it all getting stale.

I get your points.

However what I mean is why not give the Earth humans a break and give Zentradi a chance to be the main protagonists. I'm thinking something like a Republic Commando/Roughnecks Chronicles/Clone Wars/Imperial Military personnel type story where we follow a Zentraedi battlegroup in its campaigns. If we absolutely must have humans then it could a friendly Zentradi faction with an attached Valkyrie squadron (a reverse Pixie squadron if you will) scouting ahead for a human exploration fleet or something.

The Zentraedi (in fact most aliens depicted in fiction) are close to human enough that we can identify with them. In fact its even easier to identify with them due to the general lack of  unwanted/controversial social/pc issue baggage that makes it so hard to like humans.

Now I know this is a very unlikely premise, but it certainly would be a change of pace.

(As to Star Wars, well the Galactic Empire/Clone armies never got old for me and never will. What did get old was Rebels-must-always-win schlep where X-wings blow up Star Destroyers and virtually all the Imperial officers other than Thrawn are incompetent.)

20 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

*the “God” of Sha’Ka’Ree open his mouth, but Basara jumps into shot and elbows him into next week*

”It will take MAH SONG into every corner of Creation!!!”

7 hours ago, Podtastic said:

I get your points.

However what I mean is why not give the Earth humans a break and give Zentradi a chance to be the main protagonists. I'm thinking something like a Republic Commando/Roughnecks Chronicles/Clone Wars/Imperial Military personnel type story where we follow a Zentraedi battlegroup in its campaigns. If we absolutely must have humans then it could a friendly Zentradi faction with an attached Valkyrie squadron (a reverse Pixie squadron if you will) scouting ahead for a human exploration fleet or something.

The Zentraedi (in fact most aliens depicted in fiction) are close to human enough that we can identify with them. In fact its even easier to identify with them due to the general lack of  unwanted/controversial social/pc issue baggage that makes it so hard to like humans.

Now I know this is a very unlikely premise, but it certainly would be a change of pace.

(As to Star Wars, well the Galactic Empire/Clone armies never got old for me and never will. What did get old was Rebels-must-always-win schlep where X-wings blow up Star Destroyers and virtually all the Imperial officers other than Thrawn are incompetent.)

So you want Gundam in the Macross universe, but with Zentraedi instead of humans. 

5 hours ago, Sildani said:

*the “God” of Sha’Ka’Ree open his mouth, but Basara jumps into shot and elbows him into next week*

”It will take MAH SONG into every corner of Creation!!!”

... y'know, I could totally see him shouting down "God" from Star Trek V.

11 hours ago, Podtastic said:

However what I mean is why not give the Earth humans a break and give Zentradi a chance to be the main protagonists. I'm thinking something like a Republic Commando/Roughnecks Chronicles/Clone Wars/Imperial Military personnel type story where we follow a Zentraedi battlegroup in its campaigns.

All things considered, that's not exactly going to make for riveting television.  The Zentradi Army has been on the same Search and Destroy mission for the last half-million years, hunting what remnants of the Supervision Army remain after the Protodeviln were sealed.  That's an awful lot sitting around punctuated by the occasional brief-but-violent skirmish that ends with most of one side retreating to regroup.  There's no real opportunity for a story to develop and progress, and as the Zentradi Army was forbidden culture by the ancient Protoculture you're stuck with a cast of flat characters with no possibility for development.

It'd be like watching one episode of the Clone Wars cartoon, with everyone who isn't a battle droid or a clone trooper edited out, on repeat.

The Zentradi are consummate professional soldiers, but one of the main reasons they were so eager to adopt Earth's culture is that the life of a clone soldier is monotonous as hell.

If we absolutely must have humans then it could a friendly Zentradi faction with an attached Valkyrie squadron (a reverse Pixie squadron if you will) scouting ahead for a human exploration fleet or something.

Which would be equally boring, but with slightly more opportunity for character development as the Zentradi would be cultured Zentradi.  

Basically, an entire series of below-decks Star Trek episodes re-set in the Macross universe... or, if you're feeling sassy, Red Dwarf: Zentradi Edition.

EDIT: Actually, I'd be down for a Red Dwarf-style below decks comedy about the Zentradi marines.  That actually sounds pretty fun.

... I'm not sure how to take a declaration that it's easier to like a person with no personality.  That pretty demonstrably doesn't work when it comes to characters in fiction, audiences tend to loathe characters who don't have any personality.  (e.g. Twilight)

Plus there's the fact that Zentradi in Macross are probably the ones with the MOST social baggage within the New UN Government's sphere of influence.  Rogue Zentradi fleets are an ongoing, very urgent threat to inhabited worlds.  Zentradi are also disproportionately overrepresented within the ranks of anti-government terrorist groups, and malcontent Zentradi within the military are seen as significant threats to the peace as well.  There's evident discrimination against Zentradi, as seen in the Macross Plus OVA from General Gomez (and a little from Guld himself) and in Macross 7 Trash, as well as an entire Macross story (Macross the Musiculture) focused on Zentradi political activism.

Only recently has a rival shown up to challenge the Zentradi for dominance on the social problems front, and that's the Windermereans from Macross Delta.

Got pretty bloody tedious to me, to the point that the battle droids tended to have more evident personality than most of the actual characters.  (To the extent that a few of them showed some awareness of the Jedi's godmode sue status.)

Star Wars's expanded universe got broomed for a good reason... a lot of which had to do with the writers endlessly abusing the same goddamn characters over and over again until there wasn't any part of them left that was likeable or relateable.  When the Imperials had only two kinds of actual characters - monomaniacal tyrants and incompetent buffoons - and the Rebels had only one (the selfless hero) it got old REALLY BLOODY QUICK.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

On ‎2018‎/‎02‎/‎23 at 3:26 PM, Focslain said:

So you want Gundam in the Macross universe, but with Zentraedi instead of humans. 

Would that be a bad thing? I'm not really a Gundam fan but some of the skirmishes and space battles I've seen in (for example Gundam 00) were absolutely beautiful.

Why not up the eye candy in Macross?

On 2/23/2018 at 5:26 AM, Focslain said:

2 hours ago, Podtastic said:

Would that be a bad thing? I'm not really a Gundam fan but some of the skirmishes and space battles I've seen in (for example Gundam 00) were absolutely beautiful.

Wait, wait.

How about supah sexylicious cat girls instead?

1 hour ago, Podtastic said:

Macross already tried going the Gundam route once before with Super Dimension Fortress Macross II: Lovers Again.  As much as I personally love it, it was not particularly well-received in Japan.  Its mechanical and character designs are the only parts of it that get consistent praise, while it usually gets sharply criticized for not doing enough differently from its predecessors in terms of story. :( 

Considering the Macross fandom's well-entrenched expectation that each new series will "mix it up" substantially, going the Gundam route is almost certainly ill-advised.  Amusingly enough, given you cited Gundam 00 as an example, one of Gundam's biggest faults is a lack of innovation.  It can get INCREDIBLY samey, especially in the Universal Century timeline.  Improvements in animation tech have let them do more, and more impressive, fight scenes that still get old fast thanks to a lack of variety and the fact that the plots are getting progressively weaker and less interesting, with some having crossed the line all the way into Excuse Plot territory (e.g. ThunderboltBuild Fighters).

A Zentradi-centric story in the Gundam style wouldn't be able to exploit the trick Gundam uses to prevent its fight scenes from becoming bland and samey... a Monster of the Week-style constant influx of new models.  The Zentradi and Supervision Army have been using the same designs for over half a million years now, with no means to develop new weapons.  The one time a Zentradi fleet has been depicted as actually having developed a new mobile weapon was Macross: Eternal Love Song, where Quamzin and his cohorts used skills learned on Earth to build an original battle suit for Quamzin to use in the final offensive against the Leplendis fleet (which is totally not the colossal lavender lovechild of the Sazabi and a Nousjadeul-Ger, honest!).

1 hour ago, Podtastic said:

For a variable definition of "eye candy", that's what they've been doing starting from Macross Zero.

Delta's definition of "eye candy" is the other one...

Just now, treatment said:

Wait, wait.

How about supah sexylicious cat girls instead?

As much as I love Macross, if we end up with a Macross version of Nekopara I am officially out.

Like the song goes:

I would do anything for love, but I won't do that.

4 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

As much as I love Macross, if we end up with a Macross version of Nekopara I am officially out.

Like the song goes:

I would do anything for love, but I won't do that.

Considering the Voldarians were reallly close to a rip on Cat Planet Cuties, I think we scratched that itch well enough. 

Not really, but outside of an OVA I don't see it working too well, pretty much for all the reason Seto has mentioned. Also as for the space battles in Gundam, as one that has seen almost a dozen Gundam series, their formula has changed very little over the decades. As you get more exposed to it you'll start to see the patterns.

Edited by Focslain

2 hours ago, Focslain said:

Considering the Voldarians were reallly close to a rip on Cat Planet Cuties, I think we scratched that itch well enough. 

Alien cat-people are a pretty old trope and the inhabitants of Voldor are a pretty vanilla take on the idea... they're not fleshed out enough to say they're similar to cat-person aliens from any particular series.  It's mostly just an excuse to get Walkure into nekomimi cosplay and tick another item off a list of standard fetishes.  :rolleyes:

Still, since they've been established to be a thing, it's a safe bet the Voldorans, Ragnans, and even Windermereans will be showing up in other parts of the galaxy in the future, much like how Zolans have sort of stealthily spread out from their homeworld in the manga and light novels.  (Of course, the Zentradi are as seemingly omnipresent as you'd expect for a species that outnumbered human survivors eight to one on postwar Earth.)

On 1/29/2017 at 11:57 AM, jenius said:

You can't bank on what Kawamori said about Megaroad 01 at all... he said it a LONG time ago and he has since put allusions to Minmay in Frontier and put even more about it into Delta. I don't think we will see a Megaroad 01 show buttt I definitely wouldn't take it off the table. By bringing it back into Delta he also seemed to impart some serious significance on whatever happened to them as we then allegedly got Mikumo out of it. I'd still rather see Macross the First animated though.... REBOOT!

Sounds like wishful thinking to me.

Yeah, if they are going to revisit anything re-animate SDF Macross.  They can re-use most of the original cast dialog and clean up the story a bit.  That way they would "own" almost the whole franchise outright.  HG can have the old anime and we could get spanky new cg to enjoy.

19 minutes ago, Zinjo said:

Yeah, if they are going to revisit anything re-animate SDF Macross.  They can re-use most of the original cast dialog and clean up the story a bit.  That way they would "own" almost the whole franchise outright.  HG can have the old anime and we could get spanky new cg to enjoy.

And lots of new scenes. ^_^

If I cant get a Zentradi focused series then give me this.

But not if  the Zentradi and their armour all turn green.:(

8 hours ago, Zinjo said:

Oh, it is.  For a guy whose magnum opus franchise is best known for radically reinventing itself with each new installment, he's pretty damned consistent about not bringing the original cast back.  Mari Iijima remarked at Super Dimension Con that she'd be open to reprising her role as Minmay but she knows Kawamori's against bringing the character back, and the idea that Lady M was someone who was affiliated with Megaroad-01 was torpedoed mere months after the series ended.1  Berger Stone was apparently just spinning a yarn.

HG doesn't own the old anime, and it wouldn't get rid of the legal problems... 

8 hours ago, Podtastic said:

And lots of new scenes. ^_^

If I cant get a Zentradi focused series then give me this.

But not if  the Zentradi and their armour all turn green.:(

Considering Macross the First uses the DYRL? Zentradi designs almost exclusively2, and the only TV series design that is consistently reused is the standard trooper body armor... most of them would likely be green or that chalk-white that many of the grunts were in DYRL?.  There'd probably still be at least some signs of the rest of the Amazing Technicolor Population spectrum, like Quamzin being lavender.

1. In the Nov 2016 issue of Newtype.  Macross Delta's creators apparently never bothered to come up with a real identity for Lady M, as she's just an Omniscient Council of Vagueness-type exposition device.
2. Quamzin was, IIRC, the only one in Macross the First to retain his TV series appearance, though he wore the movie body armor.  Laplamiz got an all-new design reminiscent of Mikimoto's design for Jinna Fiaro from Macross: Eternal Love Song for the manga, and we've yet to see Milia.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

14 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Considering Macross the First uses the DYRL? Zentradi designs almost exclusively2, and the only TV series design that is consistently reused is the standard trooper body armor... most of them would likely be green or that chalk-white that many of the grunts were in DYRL?.  There'd probably still be at least some signs of the rest of the Amazing Technicolor Population spectrum, like Quamzin being lavender.

That would be a downgrade not an upgrade.

Comparable to remaking the classic Star Wars trilogy with First Order stormtroopers.

On 2/23/2018 at 9:25 AM, Seto Kaiba said:

... y'know, I could totally see him shouting down "God" from Star Trek V.

Certainly more diplomatic than Kirk's solution of 'piss him off and then lob a photon torpedo into his face'.

"What does God need with a starship when he could LISTEN TO MY SONG! "

Edited by JB0

10 hours ago, Podtastic said:

That would be a downgrade not an upgrade.

Most, including Macross's creators, would be inclined to argue the opposite... the DYRL? designs are commonly regarded as being far superior to the SDF:M TV ones, which is why they've almost totally supplanted the TV ones in new works.

10 hours ago, Podtastic said:

Comparable to remaking the classic Star Wars trilogy with First Order stormtroopers.

... apart from a slight redesign of the helmets and occasionally showing signs of self-preservation instinct, what's the difference?

2 hours ago, JB0 said:

Certainly more diplomatic than Kirk's solution of 'piss him off and then lob a photon torpedo into his face'.

"What does God need with a starship when he could LISTEN TO MY SONG! "

Swap "photon torpedo" for "speaker pod" and you're there.  Remember what he did to Gepernich's command center?  Parked a speaker pod the size of a double-decker bus right through his wall.

3 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Swap "photon torpedo" for "speaker pod" and you're there.  Remember what he did to Gepernich's command center?  Parked a speaker pod the size of a double-decker bus right through his wall.

Ok, I only got thru the recapture of the Island ship.. when did this ^ happen and where can I find a decent version to watch this insanity.

54 minutes ago, Focslain said:

Ok, I only got thru the recapture of the Island ship.. when did this ^ happen and where can I find a decent version to watch this insanity.

Episode 26, spoilers obviously. He does a better version later on in the series though :p

Spoiler

8 minutes ago, dizman said:

Episode 26, spoilers obviously. He does a better version later on in the series though :p

Reveal hidden contents

Thanks for the preview, yeah this was well after I had stopped in the series. Never got to the point where they made the Tactical Sound Unit.  

2 hours ago, dizman said:

Hide contents

Honestly, the best part is that Gepernich never does get around to getting that damned thing removed.  It's still stuck there, screwing up the main bridge monitor, clear thru to the end of Macross 7.

Spoiler

Kinda makes you wonder if blowing up the Battle 7 was revenge for that... #disproportionateretribution

EDIT: Actually, the best part might be that he does the same thing to Chlore's command ship, and she has a much more appropriate reaction to someone Kool-Aid Man-ing through her bulkhead to blast rock music at her.

1 hour ago, Sildani said:

That’s the first bit of 7 I’ve ever seen, and it’ll be my last.  NOT my particular brand of vodka. 

It's actually a lot better than it's cracked up to be... you just have to take the first half in small-ish doses because there's very little musical variety in it and the plot doesn't really get going 'till about episode 22.

Once it finally gets moving, it's everything Delta wasn't... an interesting story with well-developed characters.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

1 hour ago, Seto Kaiba said:

It's actually a lot better than it's cracked up to be... you just have to take the first half in small-ish doses because there's very little musical variety in it and the plot doesn't really get going 'till about episode 22.

Once it finally gets moving, it's everything Delta wasn't... an interesting story with well-developed characters.

Quoted for truth. Even Basara, who is admittedly pretty much an a-hole, is well developed in his own way. I mean, only he would have the unmitigated gall to actually use something like Speaker Pod Gamma to a command ship like that... twice.

Seto reminded me both how funny it is that never gets repaired but also that while Chlore has a more appropriate reaction... she also goes from mad to fangirling over Basara quicker than it takes him to finish Tostugeki Love Heart so... YMMV, lol.

4 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

EDIT: Actually, the best part might be that he does the same thing to Chlore's command ship, and she has a much more appropriate reaction to someone Kool-Aid Man-ing through her bulkhead to blast rock music at her.

Hah yeah that's what I meant about doing it better later, that moment always puts a smile on my face.

13 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Most, including Macross's creators, would be inclined to argue the opposite... the DYRL? designs are commonly regarded as being far superior to the SDF:M TV ones, which is why they've almost totally supplanted the TV ones in new works.

... apart from a slight redesign of the helmets and occasionally showing signs of self-preservation instinct, what's the difference?

Swap "photon torpedo" for "speaker pod" and you're there.  Remember what he did to Gepernich's command center?  Parked a speaker pod the size of a double-decker bus right throu gh his wall.

I could write a lot about why the DYRL designs (except the DYRL Nousjadeul-Ger) look inferior to the classic shapely designs but its a matter of taste. And there's no accounting for the common taste seemingly.

As to the stormtroopers, do you really think the classic curvey deaths-head stormtrooper helmet is the same as the ubiquitous squarish First Order I-could-have-come-from-any marvel/image throwaway paramilitary look?

Seriously?:huh:

But I get the distinct impression that mecha/armour design is actually not consequential for you.

15 minutes ago, Podtastic said:

But I get the distinct impression that mecha/armour design is actually not consequential for you.

To an Engineer? I dunno... I'd bet it is... but maybe in a different way. Us types then to have a more functional view of it.. but that's my take.

20 minutes ago, Master Dex said:

To an Engineer? I dunno... I'd bet it is... but maybe in a different way. Us types then to have a more functional view of it.. but that's my take.

Could be, my taste is based on how it looks not whether it would work in practice. I mean the classic Zentraedi hoof-foot armour design looks great but its hard to imagine a foot actually fitting in there.:mellow:

I could write a lot about why the DYRL designs (except the DYRL Nousjadeul-Ger) look inferior to the classic shapely designs but its a matter of taste. And there's no accounting for the common taste seemingly.

Most of the Zentradi designs from the TV series are pretty heavily dated... the high uniform collars, the pastel colors, Vrlitwhai's weird brown smock-thing, the helmets that look more than a bit like a bellend or like a visored version of a WW2 German helmet, the chunky body armor, etc.

IMO, the DYRL? designs fit much better with the notion that the Protoculture were obsessed with organic technology and organic design aesthetics.  The movie version's partially organic Zentradi technology, and the techno-organic aesthetic of their leadership, meshes extremely well with the notion that the Protoculture were masters of genetic engineering and considered their Zentradi a form of [living/biological] weapon rather than people and with the later depictions of the ancient Protoculture as pursuing bio-technology extensively (later established to be due to their idolizing Vajra evolution).

They look less generic, and more overtly alien... which adds impact to the reveal that they're still basically human.  Let's be honest, Boddole Zer looked goofy as hell as a bald man in a robe that looked like a hand-me-down from Ming the Merciless.

As to the stormtroopers, do you really think the classic curvey deaths-head stormtrooper helmet is the same as the ubiquitous squarish First Order I-could-have-come-from-any marvel/image throwaway paramilitary look?

They look almost exactly the same... which, I gather, was the entire point when they designed the First Order equipment.  It hearkens back a bit to the more streamlined Clone Trooper helmets too, back when the clones were the heroes of the Republic, which might also be what the First Order's going for aesthetically.  

The First Order version just looks more like it was designed for someone to actually wear halfway comfortably, where all that extra mass hanging low on the classic helmet looks like something to cause extra neck strain in the poor schmucks wearing them all day.

... are you seriously trying to argue that mechanical design is inconsequential to the guy who's best known on this and a dozen other sites for being "mecha question guy"?

SERIOUSLY?

8 hours ago, Master Dex said:

My quibbles are more aesthetic, but I do like the redesigned UIs in the Zentradi DYRL? designs.

8 hours ago, Podtastic said:

Could be, my taste is based on how it looks not whether it would work in practice. I mean the classic Zentraedi hoof-foot armour design looks great but its hard to imagine a foot actually fitting in there.:mellow:

The impression I got was that they were basically platform shoes.