New Macross TV Series in 20xx (sometime this decade)

Tochiro

I read that there is a Tokyo Comic Convention coming up at the end of the month. Perhaps there will be news at the show. If not I guess both this new Macross and Ghost in the Shell will be shown some time next year.

7 hours ago, JetJockey said:

I read that there is a Tokyo Comic Convention coming up at the end of the month. Perhaps there will be news at the show. If not I guess both this new Macross and Ghost in the Shell will be shown some time next year.

That's the thing... what we would expect, given the last several Macross release schedules, would be that the show would be seeing a trailer around this time for a series that would have a teaser episode around the last week of the year and start airing in earnest in April.

We've seen nothing so far, which suggests we're probably not getting anything this year or next except that Macross Walkure Delta movie.

16 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

That's the thing... what we would expect, given the last several Macross release schedules, would be that the show would be seeing a trailer around this time for a series that would have a teaser episode around the last week of the year and start airing in earnest in April.

We've seen nothing so far, which suggests we're probably not getting anything this year or next except that Macross Walkure Delta movie.

What kind of world do we live where there is no fantastic SDFM animation upgrade, but we get more craptastic  Walkure?:unknw:

5 hours ago, Karaoke Ninja said:

Hey some of us actually LIKE Walkure...

Oh, their songs are quite good... but as characters go they're not so much "weak tea" as "tepid tapwater".  

Freyja Wion is the only one of them who got any kind of reasonable character development, Mikumo came with a doctor's note saying she's excused from character development as she'd been born with a bad case of macguffinitis, and the other three are shallow stock characters who barely got more development than the cardboard standees Fire Bomber used when one (or more) of their members blew off a live performance.  The most they got was Kaname getting to briefly be broken up about her stalker dying...

6 hours ago, Convectuoso said:

Maybe the whole idea is to use the new Walküre movie to raise funds and pay decent writers for a new Macross series

That doesn't make sense though... why wouldn't they just use the money they would've wasted on an all-original Walkure Delta movie on the new Macross series instead?

16 hours ago, AN/ALQ128 said:

Now that's a nice looking suit. Very race car driver-ish.

Yeah. It was a nice suit. I saw some glimpse of the Walkure girls wearing their trademark color version as part of the CG anime opening from the 3rd Live Concert. That's where the VF-31 Makina themed design made by Hasegawa came from.

13 minutes ago, Kelsain said:

Now that's what they should have been wearing underneath their holo-costumes. Not the weird fan-servicey transparent suits that they needed to oil up to get into.

Reina was... at least in the first episode.

I assume they'd have this AU Sheryl being more skilled in that then ours. Actually if it was a VF-27 she'd have to be a cyborg so it'd be easy.

So much for those all-natural selling points though, lol. 

12 hours ago, Kelsain said:

That’s right. I remember speculation that they were using full EX gears as well, which would have accounted for their limited flight and Mikumo being trapped under a building. Ah, Episode 1, so much potential...

Well, it did turn out that they were using technology introduced in Macross Frontier... just not that specific piece of tech.

It made a certain amount of sense once it became obvious that Delta was copying anything and everything it could from Frontier in the hopes that that'd be enough to make it popular.

9 hours ago, Podtastic said:

Macrossgenesis Deltagelion? :p

Macross was doing mechanical counterpressure suits a solid decade before Evangelion was even a thing...

Come to that, I was never super clear on why they needed to wear form-fitting spacesuits in the entry plugs in the first place.  They were being submerged in blood-warm LCL, so they didn't need insulation, radiation protection, pressurization, or an external oxygen supply.

Just now, Master Dex said:

I assume they'd have this AU Sheryl being more skilled in that then ours. Actually if it was a VF-27 she'd have to be a cyborg so it'd be easy.

If she were a cyborg it'd be as easy as dropping a combat AI into her noggin and sending her on her way, just like Maris Stella in Macross R.

I'm almost as disappointed that they never explored Sheryl learning to fly as I am that they never gave Mirage a chance to sing.  I think both would have been entertaining developments, but I was really hoping they'd use it as an avenue to give Mirage some serious development, both character-wise, and as a pilot.

As far as Eva goes though, I thought the entire cockpit environment was sort of a neurologically-linked LCL bathtub?  Not that they ever really needed to justify all the fanservice, but that always seemed more likely to me than everything being transmitted through their hairpins.

14 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

I'm almost as disappointed that they never explored Sheryl learning to fly as I am that they never gave Mirage a chance to sing.  I think both would have been entertaining developments, but I was really hoping they'd use it as an avenue to give Mirage some serious development, both character-wise, and as a pilot.

Mirage-as-a-singer was probably never explored because 1. they already had the idol group composed the way they wanted and 2. they'd already done the reverse of that in Macross R with its main character Chelsea Scarlett, a Zentradi idol singer-turned-fighter pilot.

14 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

As far as Eva goes though, I thought the entire cockpit environment was sort of a neurologically-linked LCL bathtub?  Not that they ever really needed to justify all the fanservice, but that always seemed more likely to me than everything being transmitted through their hairpins.

That was always my understanding... that the hairpin-things on their heads were the neurological connection and the rest was all...?

On 11/9/2018 at 11:39 AM, Seto Kaiba said:

Come to that, I was never super clear on why they needed to wear form-fitting spacesuits in the entry plugs in the first place.  They were being submerged in blood-warm LCL, so they didn't need insulation, radiation protection, pressurization, or an external oxygen supply.

I may be wrong, but I seem to recall Shinji piloting the EVA-01 in his civilian clothes on an episode 

3 hours ago, Convectuoso said:

I may be wrong, but I seem to recall Shinji piloting the EVA-01 in his civilian clothes on an episode 

Yeah, that happened. In-universe it isn't so much necessary as it improves pilot synchronization with the Eva. Out-of-universe, it improves audience synchronization with the fanservice.

19 hours ago, Convectuoso said:

15 hours ago, MikeRoz said:

Yeah, that happened. In-universe it isn't so much necessary as it improves pilot synchronization with the Eva. Out-of-universe, it improves audience synchronization with the fanservice.

Yeah, the very first episode... they toss the whiny brat in the cockpit in his high school uniform and it works just fine.  I know the whole schtick in Evangelion is it's a psychological puppet show about Shinji's adolescent anxieties and social dysfunction, but Rebuild turning the fanservice up to eleven by making the flightsuits transparent for no reason was not a welcome change.

Macross, at least, did the more-or-less skintight spacesuit thing for predominantly practical reasons.  The mechanical counterpressure suits are less bulky and allow greater freedom of natural movement, reduced need for cooling systems, and a greatly reduced need for large air tanks since the only parts of the suit that are pressurized with gas are the helmet, boots, and gloves.  (Even though Macross has a fair number of female pilots, it didn't really get fanservice-y until Macross Frontier, with Cpt. Klan Klan's suit struggling to contain her "assets".)  

(Later designs more actively benefitted from the mechanical compression aspect of the suit design by varying the compression to prevent blood from pooling in the extremities in high g-force loading conditions.)  

That said, I still like the New UN Forces pilot suit (the model Master File called the TSV-51) way more than the SMS or Xaos pilot suits.

On ‎11‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 8:27 AM, Master Dex said:

So much for those all-natural selling points though, lol. 

That was my thought---a "cyborg-d" Sheryl, like Brera, to pilot a VF-27.  Cyber-Sheryl could be a very interesting character---she already had a good arc in Frontier, so adding in "fighting her implants" would just be another layer of interesting things to pursue for her story development. 

On 11/9/2018 at 3:26 PM, SMS007 said:

Y'know I would love to see a Macross AU featuring Sheryl as a New U.N. Spacy pilot flying a VF-27.

Damn I'm slow, it took me until today to realize that "AU" meant Alternate Universe and not Australia.....LOL

I was wondering why would Sheryl be any better a pilot just becuse she's Australian.......hahahaha

14 hours ago, Graham said:

Damn I'm slow, it took me until today to realize that "AU" meant Alternate Universe and not Australia.....LOL

I was wondering why would Sheryl be any better a pilot just becuse she's Australian.......hahahaha

You're not the only one who gets fooled by the acronyms being bandied about.

As a fellow MWer living in East Asia, maybe we should start chucking around our own regional ones, too?  E.g.: The Ss at ASEAN were total JKKY!  kekeke

3 hours ago, HardlyNever said:

Is it safe to say we're not going to get an announcement about a new series this year?  Or is there still some reasonable hope that we'll get some news?

Is there a cut-off date, or is there a chance this is still going to happen until it turns 1/1/2019?

At this point, it seems safe to say that plans for a new Macross series have been preempted by plans for an all-original second Macross Delta movie... possibly titled Macross Delta II: the Search for More Money.  

Assuming Big West and Satelight were working to a similar release schedule to the last two Macross TV series, then the "cut-off date" has probably passed.  Ordinarily we would have expected to see the first trailer for the series about two weeks ago, and an announcement that a new series was coming about a month before that.  We've had nothing except more crossover live announcements and an announcement that they're doing a second Macross Delta movie.

1 hour ago, no3Ljm said:

Or they should just lock the thread first for the time being until there's really 'new official announcement' for it. I mean, 40 pages in now and there's no concrete thing going on yet. :rolleyes:

The whole thread was rather premature, given that it was posted in January 2017 and even under ideal conditions we weren't going to see anything of a new series until after Christmas 2018.