New Macross TV Series in 20xx (sometime this decade)

Tochiro

4 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Not to put a razor-fine point on it, but HannouHeiki hit the the mark with laser precision in the last sentence of his last post.

A fair portion of the grumbling about Macross Delta has less to do with the quality of the series itself than it does the fact that the folks doing the grumbling aren't in the franchise's target demographic.  It really does start to sound like old people grumbling about young people after a while, and when you think about it... it kind of is.  Almost stereotypically so when it comes to the music.

Trying to frame "it's not doing as well as Frontier" as a criticism doesn't make a ton of sense either, given that every previous Macross title can be found wanting by that lofty standard.

If I were you, I wouldn't hold my breath for this new Macross series to go back to the way things were done in the 80's.  Macross has never been a franchise that cared overmuch for nostalgia, so I'd expect the franchise to continue to move forward... and that means some of the periphery demographic of older fans is going to get left behind.

Not sure why you are directing this at me since i think Delta is a terrible show due to the writing which is a point you agree with and post quite frequently on. I get really tired of people throwing that analogy of old people grumbling, at anyone that has a negative view on a show they like. We're on this board to discuss this show good or bad. I think if we're only allowed to sing praise on delta this forum would get really boring really quick. I don't think most people on here are grumbling about not being in the target market (maybe in the first month of the show airing). I think most people now are complaining about the quality. It doesn't matter either way, it's all subjective.

For the record i was on board with delta until the second half. I buy the merchandise. Though i prefer the older shows i still enjoy the newer shows. I just don't understand why people get blasted for not liking delta. Sure there is the extreme person now and then that is annoying but they are far and few between. Damn i'm a huge Macross 7 fan. Now there is a show that gets blasted all the time still to this day, 20 years after it originally aired. It seems to get brought up in every discussion somehow with a bunch of posters quickly throwing in "7 sucks". You don't see me crying "don't make fun of my show".

9 hours ago, Sandman said:

LOL, Right. Delta was successful, so what, it's irrelevant. It was still a terrible show IMO. Just because Delta was successful, it doesn't make it a good show. The Transformers live action movies are a perfect example of that. I fail to see the point of your post. It reads like you're personally offended by the comments. People can state their opinion weather they like or dislike a show. Fans in both camps have posted in this thread without getting all touchy about it. If it irritates you so much then i suggest you don't read the thread.

When people use words like: crap, terrible --and then belittle Kawamori, it doesn't exactly make people who feel differently feel welcome here.  There are cleaner forms of criticism.

14 hours ago, Mazinger said:

Maybe I'll stay off the forums when the new show hits.  The waves of complaints and general backlash against Delta didn't make it easier to enjoy the show, which I generally did after all.

4 hours ago, Devil 505 said:

All this complaining is starting to sound like the forums for The-Show-That-Must-Not-Be-Named.  Having lurked there, they've done nothing but complain about Delta, and Macross in general, and they've got nothing but nostalgia to go by.

Mazinger's pondering of staying off the forums, and a couple other similar sentiments, is indicative of a problem here.  

A news announcment about a new Macross series shouldn't make MWF remind people of RT boards or encourage people to leave or go into lurk mode.  

4 hours ago, Gordon Freeman said:

That would have been true until the second half of Delta became "Aw boohoo, the American's bombed us. So we are going to to make our Space Nazis the victim and appeal to Japanese nationalists because our sales are slipping." Nor should we forgot the ripoff of Newtype powers in the last episode.

When a post like this is routine, ESPECIALLY in an announcement thread, what's the point in current Macross fans even bothering to come to these forums?  

As a whole, MWF should be a good steward to the franchise in general.  If you aren't getting what you like, think of ways to demonstrate that you're a viable market worth spending resources on and get your voices heard.  People who belittle and lash out are a zero economic quantity.  

18 minutes ago, Sandman said:

Not sure why you are directing this at me since i think Delta is a terrible show due to the writing which is a point you agree with and post quite frequently on. I get really tired of people throwing that analogy of old people grumbling, at anyone that has a negative view on a show they like. We're on this board to discuss this show good or bad. I think if we're only allowed to sing praise on delta this forum would get really boring really quick. I don't think most people on here are grumbling about not being in the target market (maybe in the first month of the show airing). I think most people now are complaining about the quality. It doesn't matter either way, it's all subjective.

For the record i was on board with delta until the second half. I buy the merchandise. Though i prefer the older shows i still enjoy the newer shows. I just don't understand why people get blasted for not liking delta. Sure there is the extreme person now and then that is annoying but they are far and few between. Damn i'm a huge Macross 7 fan. Now there is a show that gets blasted all the time still to this day, 20 years after it originally aired. It seems to get brought up in every discussion somehow with a bunch of posters quickly throwing in "7 sucks". You don't see me crying "don't make fun of my show".

Maybe in a series announcment thread that, for the moment at least, HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH DELTA since we don't even know what it's about, Delta whining is misplaced in this topic.  It's distracting off-topic grumbling.

2 minutes ago, HannouHeiki said:

Maybe in a series announcment thread that, for the moment at least, HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH DELTA since we don't even know what it's about, Delta whining is misplaced in this topic.  It's distracting off-topic grumbling.

It's only natural people talk about the previous series in the announcement thread as they state their expectations and hopes for the next series. Yeah there maybe a couple extreme people but that is everywhere on the internet.

If Macross The Ride story is not possible, then Macross Delta Side Story: Alpha and Beta Platoon should suffice. I mean, they should finish release first all the DX Delta stuff, right? By doing a Delta side story series, then they still have the current molds to announce for both Alpha and Beta Platoon while still releasing Delta Valks in 2018. It's all about marketing.

15 hours ago, Mazinger said:

Maybe I'll stay off the forums when the new show hits.  The waves of complaints and general backlash against Delta didn't make it easier to enjoy the show, which I generally did after all.

35 minutes ago, HannouHeiki said:

Mazinger's pondering of staying off the forums, and a couple other similar sentiments, is indicative of a problem here.  

A news announcment about a new Macross series shouldn't make MWF remind people of RT boards or encourage people to leave or go into lurk mode.  

I don't think Mazinger will stay off the forums. He still needs it to fill his cravings for the Valkyrie toys. ^_^ 

6 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Not to put a razor-fine point on it, but HannouHeiki hit the the mark with laser precision in the last sentence of his last post.

A fair portion of the grumbling about Macross Delta has less to do with the quality of the series itself than it does the fact that the folks doing the grumbling aren't in the franchise's target demographic.  It really does start to sound like old people grumbling about young people after a while, and when you think about it... it kind of is.  Almost stereotypically so when it comes to the music.

Trying to frame "it's not doing as well as Frontier" as a criticism doesn't make a ton of sense either, given that every previous Macross title can be found wanting by that lofty standard.

If I were you, I wouldn't hold my breath for this new Macross series to go back to the way things were done in the 80's.  Macross has never been a franchise that cared overmuch for nostalgia, so I'd expect the franchise to continue to move forward... and that means some of the periphery demographic of older fans is going to get left behind.

Wow, wow, wow.

When have I ever said that Macross should go back to being what it was in the 80's?? I'm pretty sure you must be mistaking me for someone else. I am no nostalgist. I'm a pretty keen anime watcher (even the 2017 variety) and look forward to Macross being developed and going into the future. My reservations with Delta are related to the lack of story in the second half and what I felt was poor writing overall. Which as far as I can remember is an opinion you share.

Having said that, I do feel that this is a forum and people should be entitled to express their distaste for a show and HannouHeiki post came across as patronizing and condescending towards others who do not share his opinion.

My want list for this upcoming Macross show:

1. Magical girls
  2. Bikini special(s)
  3. More magical girls
  4. Effeminate male characters.
  5. yuri
  6. chibis
  7. yoi
  8. blatant sexual fan-service.
  9. more magical girls

[edit]

and I guess some robots would be ok too, I guess. :unsure:

Edited by anime52k8

4 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

... are you serious? :rolleyes:

You DO know that Shoji Kawamori didn't write Macross and that Yoshiyuki Tomino didn't write Gundam, right?  They created the core concepts for their respective series and directed (in whole or in part) the shows that came from those concepts, but the screenplays for the shows and movies in their respective metaseries mostly came from other pens.  You could argue neither is a fantastic writer based on their solo writing credits in those franchises (Macross Zero and Reconguista in G respectively), but neither can be credited with the actual writing in most of the titles in the franchises they created.  You can't blame Kawamori for the writing in Macross Delta because he wasn't the writer... Toshizo Nemoto was.

Also, that argument lost any real weight it might've had when you tried to pass that hack Hideo "Nanobot Textdump" Kojima off as a writer of any skill... the man is famous for mistaking obtuseness for depth.

Wrong. Nemoto bailed out after Episode 14. The rest was all Kawamori. That still doesn't excuse them being awful writers. The direction of the series can also be penned at the hands of the director as well. Which they were at the time of airing. So it is fair to the blame them, as well as the writers they choose.

Did Kojima crap on your Randain world veiw or something? If you can't handle info dumps I have no idea how you would even be able to watch Star Trek before the 2009 movie came along.

Most Kojima haters tend to FPS fanbois or those with awful taste in anime. Then calling Twin Snakes or Metal Gear Rising the best games in the series. Edgelord garbage (like most anime and japanese media after 2010) isn't depth either. If Komija is a hack so is Ryuhei Kitamura, Etsu Tamari and the writers at Platinum Games. Who are even worse at making a coherent story than Kojima is.

Macross didn't have any depth what so ever until Plus came along.

Edited by Gordon Freeman

22 minutes ago, Gordon Freeman said:

Most Kojima haters tend to FPS fanbois or those with awful taste in anime. Then calling Twin Snakes or Metal Gear Rising the best games in the series. Edgelord garbage (like most anime and japanese media after 2010) isn't depth either. If Komija is a hack so is Ryuhei Kitamura, Etsu Tamari and the writers at Platinum Games. Who are even worse at making a coherent story than Kojima is.

Whoa, hey now. Trash talk each other all you want, but leave Plat-G and my Rising of the Revengeance out of this, yeah? No one badmouths Revenge Rising without suffering THE WRATH OF THE USA!

...ahem.

34 minutes ago, kajnrig said:

Whoa, hey now. Trash talk each other all you want, but leave Plat-G and my Rising of the Revengeance out of this, yeah? No one badmouths Revenge Rising without suffering THE WRATH OF THE USA!

...ahem.

Nope. Just saw Excessive Profanity's live stream. It's QTE seventh gen console garbage. Like every other multi platform game of that era.(mostly due the Xbox 360 sucking in the hardware department) Armstrong is an overrated Villain Stu.

Edited by Gordon Freeman

Macross TV series have always been about moving the franchise forward - new worlds, new stories, new possibilities. If we want a side story, follow-up, or prequel, the OVA is the usual go-to format as those stories tend to be more fan-oriented and therefore more niche market. If we're ever to see Macross the First or an adaptation of an existing work, it'll most likely be as an OVA or movie (or otherwise be a fan-service name drop as Minmei has been in Frontier and Delta). 

If this is a TV series, my money is that it'll be a direct sequel to Delta (and thus let the franchise extend its investment in the current idol group), or a new story set shortly after Delta but in the same time frame and general universe rules, where Var / Windermere / Chaos / Walkure presence may e a major player or a name-drop. The short time frame between Delta and this strongly suggests that it won't be a brand new show and instead leverage what we just finished, or else Kawamori simply has a hell of an idea and didn't want to wait another five years before showing it. :)

Regardless, a new TV anime will be less about addressing complaints of the old franchise fans and more about satisfying the current younger generation, as that's where the money has always been in every iteration of this franchise. As long as idol units are hotter than solo acts and people like giant transforming planes, Macross won't be in for a major paradigm shift, so we'll IMO we'll get more of the same... Of course we can hope for better writing and perhaps even better animation quality, but even if it stays on the level of Frontier and Delta, it'll likely be plenty good for today's mass-market anime consumer.

Mark

PS - Disclaimer: I'm an anime fan born in the late 70s, who places Frontier above Delta, but who has loved every version of Macross and has spent time in the Macross Delta room at Joysound to show for it. :)

Edited by tout-puissant

My, somebody's in some sort of mood today. I said what I said in good spirits; dislike the game all you want, I'm not saying you're wrong. You're just getting more and more off-topic is all.

1 minute ago, tout-puissant said:

more about satisfying the current younger generation, as that's where the money has always been in every iteration of this franchise. As long as idol units are hotter than solo acts and people like giant transforming planes

I'd argue they could even ditch the giant transforming planes and coast for a few good years on idol groups alone, judging by the AKBs and the Idolmasters. Actually that'd be really interesting to see, now I think about it...

2 hours ago, Marzan said:

When have I ever said that Macross should go back to being what it was in the 80's?? I'm pretty sure you must be mistaking me for someone else.

[...]

Having said that, I do feel that this is a forum and people should be entitled to express their distaste for a show and HannouHeiki post came across as patronizing and condescending towards others who do not share his opinion.

Did I identify you in particular as someone who wants that?  I'm fairly certain I didn't.  I was just giving a nice, general example of the tone we see in new series wishes from people who didn't like Delta here and on Facebook.  I'm sure you can predict what I'm going to say before I can even say it...

1. "I want another series like Macross Plus"
  2. "I want a gritty, hardcore war series"
  3. "I want a bleak, depressing series about Destroids"

All of which basically boil down to wanting Macross to regress to an earlier state... something more along the lines of Macross Plus or Macross II: Lovers Again, which is odd considering the amount of badmouthing the latter used to get on here.  It's a safe bet we'll get none of the above, especially given that Macross's creators have an avowed dislike for retreading old ground.

There's nothing wrong with expressing distaste for a particular show, but the "I didn't like X, therefore it is objectively crap" needs to stop.  The fandom in the west is going to have to reconcile itself to the fact that it is NOT Macross's target demographic, and it never will be.  Macross's creators are going to aim to please the target demographic in Japan, and our satisfaction or dissatisfaction with it is incidental at best.  The unpleasant truth is that it's hard to NOT sound like a grumpy old fart when the complaints are framed as "it's not like it was back in the day".

1 hour ago, kajnrig said:

I'd argue they could even ditch the giant transforming planes and coast for a few good years on idol groups alone, judging by the AKBs and the Idolmasters. Actually that'd be really interesting to see, now I think about it...

Isn't that basically what Macross Delta was?  The mecha, as pretty as they were, were practically an afterthought.  It did the music sales a world of good, but the rest of the merchandising is kind of a limp fish by comparison.

The most balanced offerings are the ones that seem to play the best in Japan, we need a new series that seamlessly marries the romance plot, the music, and the mecha action the way Super Dimension Fortress MacrossMacross 7, and Macross Frontier did.  (Even Macross 30 did what I'd characterize as a fairly good job integrating the singing into the story and gameplay mechanics.)

I'll consider it a rousing success if we get better story-action integration, a plot that flows well without the rushed pacing of Delta's second half and Frontier's last three episodes, and maybe some love for the New UN Forces instead of PMCs.  If I were to really get my wish, we'd get a ~50 episode Macross series that's properly paced for that length, so they can afford to lavish extra attention on characterization and the war subplot.

2 hours ago, Gordon Freeman said:

Wrong. Nemoto bailed out after Episode 14. The rest was all Kawamori. That still doesn't excuse them being awful writers. The direction of the series can also be penned at the hands of the director as well. Which they were at the time of airing. So it is fair to the blame them, as well as the writers they choose.

You sure you're not mistaking Kawamori's involvement in storyboarding for that, because I don't recall seeing him get a writing credit for the series.  Toshizo Nemoto did the series composition (the plot outline) and had two supporting writers doing the actual screenplay with him.

2 hours ago, Gordon Freeman said:

Did Kojima crap on your Randain world veiw or something? If you can't handle info dumps I have no idea how you would even be able to watch Star Trek before the 2009 movie came along.

Ooo... I think I touched a nerve.  The ad hominem isn't helping you either.

"Depth" is definitely not a property I would ascribe to Macross Plus's story... it's fast-paced, simple, and straightforward.  There aren't any real twists in the story, no deeper meanings behind people's actions, everything is laid out neatly and precisely with the bare minimum necessary backstory to frame the events without getting bogged down in exposition.  That's fine for an OVA, but a series should have a bit more to it than that. 

Edited by Seto Kaiba

6 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

"Depth" is definitely not a property I would ascribe to Macross Plus's story... it's fast-paced, simple, and straightforward.  There aren't any real twists in the story, no deeper meanings behind people's actions, everything is laid out neatly and precisely with the bare minimum necessary backstory to frame the events without getting bogged down in exposition.  That's fine for an OVA, but a series should have a bit more to it than that. 

I think Kawamori's actual description of Plus was something along the lines of 'It's a serious story with a silly plot.' Even he knew it wasn't an award winning narrative (and for the record, I love Macross Plus... but then again I like all the shows in some form, except Macross II which is only cause I haven't really given it a fair chance yet. I'm open to it.)

I worry my initial effort to try and curb some negativity about an unreleased show with no details before it even gets made sparked a far worse series of arguments. I wasn't even bothered by people hating on Delta. I'm used to that by now, and it's done at least so people can have their views. I just didn't like the idea that some seemed to be automatically setting their opinions of the new show to negative when we literally only know that something is being made for 2018.

We need to get Basara in here to make us listen to his song and somehow solve all our problems even though that doesn't really do anything to address the actual issues... but it'll sound fantastic! Now that is how a Macross show would end this conflict, lol!

16 minutes ago, Master Dex said:

I think Kawamori's actual description of Plus was something along the lines of 'It's a serious story with a silly plot.' Even he knew it wasn't an award winning narrative (and for the record, I love Macross Plus... but then again I like all the shows in some form, except Macross II which is only cause I haven't really given it a fair chance yet. I'm open to it.)

To be fair, couldn't the same description of "a serious story with a silly plot" be applied to almost any Macross title?

I think that's part of its charm, really.  The focus on the love plot over the war plot and solving interstellar conflicts with bouncy pop songs or a power ballad isn't exactly gritty realism in sci-fi.  It keeps the story's overall tone light and optimistic and prevents it from getting bogged down with the WAR IS HELL amateur dramatics that most other mecha shows are so fond of.  It doesn't take itself too seriously, and that helps keep it fun... along with the knowledge that you're going to get something that passes for an uplifting ending.

For me, it's infinitely preferable to Gundam... which sometimes gets so caught up in its WAR IS HELL message that it feels like the staff is out to exact as much misery on the viewer as possible.  After watching Macross you can leave feeling pretty good.  After watching certain Gundam shows like Victory you leave feeling the need for an antidepressant or maybe a stiff drink.  It's become such a staple for that franchise that the rare optimistic Gundam series feels alien and wrong.

I'll be quite happy if that state of affairs continues in the new series.  Frontier did a good job of keeping it fun.  Delta's first half did too.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

15 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

To be fair, couldn't the same description of "a serious story with a silly plot" be applied to almost any Macross title?

I think that's part of its charm, really.  The focus on the love plot over the war plot and solving interstellar conflicts with bouncy pop songs or a power ballad isn't exactly gritty realism in sci-fi.  It keeps the story's overall tone light and optimistic and prevents it from getting bogged down with the WAR IS HELL amateur dramatics that most other mecha shows are so fond of.  It doesn't take itself too seriously, and that helps keep it fun... along with the knowledge that you're going to get something that passes for an uplifting ending.

For me, it's infinitely preferable to Gundam... which sometimes gets so caught up in its WAR IS HELL message that it feels like the staff is out to exact as much misery on the viewer as possible.  After watching Macross you can leave feeling pretty good.  After watching certain Gundam shows like Victory you leave feeling the need for an antidepressant or maybe a stiff drink.  It's become such a staple for that franchise that the rare optimistic Gundam series feels alien and wrong.

I'll be quite happy if that state of affairs continues in the new series.  Frontier did a good job of keeping it fun.  Delta's first half did too.

I'll drink to that (in a jovial celebratory way, not in a post-Gundam drowning miseries way as you described, lol).

Now that you've said that though, I'll give Gundam some minor slack, because while you are pretty much on point there, at least it still isn't as depressing or borderline sanity ripping as Neon Genesis Evangelion.

What initially drew me to Macross was the mecha and the action (cause I used The-Show-That-Must-Not-Be-Named as a gateway like many), what kept me with it was the music which was a refreshing difference from most anime, and the uplifting nature of the narrative. Because even when all of humanity is almost destroyed, life force drained, conquered in some way, etc... there is still a happy ending to be found, and a good song to remind us of it.

Edited by Master Dex

Just give me a yuri love triangle in the new series. I'm tired of the usual 2 girls 1 guy standard. :lol:

In fact get rid of all the guys. Screw the fujoshi. Give me an all Meltran cast and all will be forgiven. :lol:

Edited by Vifam7

8 minutes ago, Vifam7 said:

Just give me a yuri love triangle in the new series. I'm tired of the usual 2 girls 1 guy standard. :lol:

In fact get rid of all the guys. Screw the fujoshi. Give me an all Meltran cast and all will be forgiven. :lol:

I honestly wouldn't mind an all-guy triangle.  Yuri on Ice did it pretty well.

8 minutes ago, Vifam7 said:

Will you settle for a yaoi love triangle between three men named Yuri?

1 hour ago, Seto Kaiba said:

After watching certain Gundam shows like Victory you leave feeling the need for an antidepressant or maybe a stiff drink.

1 hour ago, Master Dex said:

Now that you've said that though, I'll give Gundam some minor slack, because while you are pretty much on point there, at least it still isn't as depressing or borderline sanity ripping as Neon Genesis Evangelion.

I admit one big reason I don't like most Gundam is because the transformable suits never look any good. The Delta Plus gets closest, but that's one in like 3,000.

Also, hey. Hey. First it was Revenge of the Rising Vengeance, now Evangelion? Lay off my childhood, people! Next thing you know, one of you's gonna shout down Escaflowne!

---

If they do have to stick to a "hetero" triangle, I'd like it to tip back in the women's favor with a 2 guys:1 girl ratio. Not because Plus did it and Plus is the greatest (this broken record will go on playing), but because... well, because none of the others have. That's 5 to 1 in the mainline shows.

Or make the girls go full yuri. They kept teasing that and teasing that with Frontier but never went all the way... though maybe that was intentional?

On ‎1‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 1:24 PM, Roy Focker said:

That's a fast turn around.  Makes me a little worried.

Me too.  Presumably it was green-lighted due to Delta making a lot of money.  Which means the big-wigs probably looked and saw "more idols than ever=bigger sales=make the next series even LESS about pilots/valks/space exploration" 

1 minute ago, David Hingtgen said:

Me too.  Presumably it was green-lighted due to Delta making a lot of money.  Which means the big-wigs probably looked and saw "more idols than ever=bigger sales=make the next series even LESS about pilots/valks/space exploration" 

I hope the bigwigs see the sales of DX's and valk related merch too!
and we get a mech-side series ala gundam thunderbolt heh....hmmm jazz macross anyone? ;)

15 minutes ago, seti88 said:

and we get a mech-side series ala gundam thunderbolt heh....hmmm jazz macross anyone? ;)

If it's anything like Gundam Thunderbolt jazz, then no thanks.

...bring back the Seatbelts, though...

hmm, let's see here...

Macross TV/DYRL : humans vs aliens

Macross II: humans/sexy alien idol vs production-staff ran out of budget and phoned it in.

Macross Plus: humans vs rogue machine

Macross 7:  shenanigans, but was kinda fun.

Macross Zero: humans vs humans vs Kawamori's new age shenanigans

Macross Frontier:  humans vs humans vs bugs

Macross Delta:  akb idols vs delta-production-staff-totally-forgot-how-to-macross

new Macross TV series in 2018?:  ??? 

29 minutes ago, David Hingtgen said:

We can only hope that Big West is smart enough not to oversaturate the market by leaning too heavily on idol singers.

The turnaround time between the end of Macross Delta and the announcement of this new Macross project is so fast, you could almost wonder if Kawamori's going to be involved or if we're headed into another series helmed by someone else.  Isn't he still committed to some project over in China that kicked off shortly before Delta ended?  It'd be interesting to see what another creator could do with the franchise, since we haven't had an official Macross narrative drawn up without Kawamori since Macross II: Lovers Again and its prequels.

My girlfriend had a fun idea for a Macross series... she suggested something like Terrestrial Defense Enterprise Dai-Guard could be done with a less-than-competent PMC, with a bunch of green pilots from a private security company who are only used to routine flights and cargo escorts suddenly get dropped into a combat situation and have to make it up as they go along because nobody expected to ever have to actually fight anyone.  It'd be a great subversion of all of stories like the Macross Frontier and Macross Delta series where incredibly well-funded, allegedly-elite PMCs ride roughshod over the military.

28 minutes ago, seti88 said:

We already got an OVA that's all flash and no substance with a nonsense plot... it's called Macross Zero.

2 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Will you settle for a yaoi love triangle between three men named Yuri?

No. No more pandering to the fujoshi.

28 minutes ago, seti88 said:

How about Enka Macross? ^_^

Edited by Vifam7

3 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

You sure you're not mistaking Kawamori's involvement in storyboarding for that, because I don't recall seeing him get a writing credit for the series.  Toshizo Nemoto did the series composition (the plot outline) and had two supporting writers doing the actual screenplay with him.

Ooo... I think I touched a nerve.  The ad hominem isn't helping you either..

Wrong again. You need to find a better source than Wikipedia. Nemoto only did up to Episode 14.

Calling a writer you dislike a hack wasn't? Kawamori can't write himself out of a paper these days if you want to prescribe the word hack to someone. It's why much of the fandom hates Zero. It was pretentious garbage. That needed another series to fix it's damn potholes. So did 7. This isn't the sign of a good director or writer. Maybe he should stick to drawing and letting a real writer/dictator do the heavy lifting. But Japan gives too much power to the producer/director then he deserves. Because they assume he has talent in anything else when draws good looking pictures.

Ad hominem- "Youtuber meme because I don't want to explain why I am biased. But praise other garbage."

Because a deep story has to appeal to the "Edgelords" of the fandom. It's the same complaint people leviee against Frontier and call "Delta" good. Mostly because they won't nothing more than huge explosions. Just because it was different from the formula doesn't mean "depth" wasn't there. Plus pretty much took the cyberpunk approach instead the tired old idol + random formula that Macross DYRL and Macross II rehashed.

7 hours ago, HannouHeiki said:

When people use words like: crap, terrible --and then belittle Kawamori, it doesn't exactly make people who feel differently feel welcome here.  There are cleaner forms of criticism.

When a post like this is routine, ESPECIALLY in an announcement thread, what's the point in current Macross fans even bothering to come to these forums?  

As a whole, MWF should be a good steward to the franchise in general.  If you aren't getting what you like, think of ways to demonstrate that you're a viable market worth spending resources on and get your voices heard.  People who belittle and lash out are a zero economic quantity.  

What current Macross fans? When the latest franchise poorly tries to make Space Nazi's sympathetic? While trying to ripoff the Love Live/Idolm@ster formula. When said show was airing at the same time? Without caring about what made those shows good in the eyes of its fans?

If Kawamori wants older members of the fandom to tell newer fans to watch it. He needs to make something good instead of being blatant and pretentious with his story.

2 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

My girlfriend had a fun idea for a Macross series... she suggested something like Terrestrial Defense Enterprise Dai-Guard could be done with a less-than-competent PMC, with a bunch of green pilots from a private security company who are only used to routine flights and cargo escorts suddenly get dropped into a combat situation and have to make it up as they go along because nobody expected to ever have to actually fight anyone.  It'd be a great subversion of all of stories like the Macross Frontier and Macross Delta series where incredibly well-funded, allegedly-elite PMCs ride roughshod over the military.

That's kinda been done and stuff,  and is called Patlabor...

:lol:

25 minutes ago, Sildani said:

You mean Delta? Or wasn't Reina x Makina teasing so much as outright screaming WE'RE A COUPLE!!

(I'll be honest. I completely forgot about them. Shame on me.)

They deserve a series dedicated to just the two of them, for sure, but what I mean is the main triangle. They end up ditching the man altogether and do like Harley and Poison Ivy (apparently???). And bonus points if the man doesn't get super butthurt about it.

...actually, now I think about it, I'd love the new series to be a second take on the formation of Walkure. Jamming a sailor senshi origin story into half an episode was criminal. Criminal!

(Also spend more time boosting Kaname/Arad please and thank you)

Edited by kajnrig