New Macross TV Series in 20xx (sometime this decade)

Tochiro

7 hours ago, Convectuoso said:

So he thinks is going to be easy to top Sheryl as a female singer?

Walküre was not even close to that

Honestly, they did.

In the end it's a matter of personal preference, and for me, Junna(Mikumo) is much better then Sheryl was. Sheryl was around Kanama level.

It would be really nice and a good change of pace to have a male singer again. But Barsara might have just been an anomely.

Mikumo as a character was little more than a deus ex machina. It would have been interesting if they'd gone the route of making her incredibly able to affect emotions/fold waves/what-have-you but also extremely ignorant of emotions and social interaction. That ineffable confidence is a defense mechanism.

Mikumo as an idol was... fine, I guess. I dislike that the music emphasizes Junna's performance over those of the other performers. It throws off the balance of the music and kind of undermines the whole idol group philosophy. But that could be because Kaname is my boo and I wanted to see her singles/albums/solos/everything be about her.

1 hour ago, Wolf-1 said:

Just make it a "Top Gun"/"Ace of Aces" school. The different aces from the various fleets allow for multiple Valkyrie models and just interject the series with songs from the past idols, while possibly introducing a new "break out" artist if the need is so great.

Edit: Whoever the main pilot ends up being can just have the "Iron Eagle/Doug McMaster's" radio taped to the leg; ipod/mp3 player now or whatever the future holds.

"Top Gun", "Iron Eagle".... Dude. You just tapped into my childhood right there! That series you described is what I was hoping Delta would have been.

very good point made above about the lack of auditions for new singing talent. Indicates strongly that this is a sequel to Delta or that we're getting existing singers from the Macross universe.

If indeed the new series is a continuation of delta, how would freya fit in?

would freya b too old for the group since windemareans age fast? would Freya and hayate settle down w kids?  minori suzuki who voices freya is still a teen..tho she would b 21 next year...

Edited by seti88

21 minutes ago, seti88 said:

would freya b too old for the group since windemareans age fast? would Freya and hayate settle down w kids?  minori suzuki who voices freya is still a teen..tho she would b 21 next year...

I figured since she showed Hayate her hand; he pretty much said "Time for a normal life" or as normal as it gets for a Windmerian. If they do bring her back she will only once again have to strain herself in order to save the galaxy; maybe Mirage wins due to Freya's DNF.  Either Ranka or Sheryl could fill the missing spot in Walkure; Sheryl doesn't strike me as "plays well with others" when trying to share the spotlight, however the "Who's the bigger Diva" between her and Mikumo could make it interesting.  Ranka best fits in role and matches along with Freya's cuteness.  Either way Alto or Ozma joins Delta; "Who's Skull leader now"?

Edited by Wolf-1

1 hour ago, Wolf-1 said:

I figured since she showed Hayate her hand; he pretty much said "Time for a normal life" or as normal as it gets for a Windmerian. If they do bring her back she will only once again have to strain herself in order to save the galaxy; maybe Mirage wins due to Freya's DNF.  Either Ranka or Sheryl could fill the missing spot in Walkure; Sheryl doesn't strike me as "plays well with others" when trying to share the spotlight, however the "Who's the bigger Diva" between her and Mikumo could make it interesting.  Ranka best fits in role and matches along with Freya's cuteness.  Either way Alto or Ozma joins Delta; "Who's Skull leader now"?

Sure Ranka would be as cute at 24 yrs old? Figured she would have matured a bit.

Plus not sure Alto is around depending on which ending you use for Frontier(the TV series or the movie).

1 hour ago, seti88 said:

It depends on how much of a time skip we have, I wouldn't bet on Freya lasting more then a few years. Same goes for prince hienz.

Edited by Focslain

While I get that a lot of people would love to see Frontier characters magically take part in Delta's story line (if it indeed is continuing), no one can seriously believe that is at all possible... or even really a good idea. Cause I think it sounds terrible. Not because Delta is a worse show (though it isn't as good for sure, and don't get me wrong I love me some Sheryl), but because that is not those people's story. Their story is told, and if they ever get any follow ups... it will not be a part of Delta (big crossover events like Macross 30 are exceptions, but even then that was a standalone story as well and more focused on the original characters in that game). Really with the exception of the Jenius family Kawamori is pretty predictable about not mixing elements of the different series/OVAs/Movies.

As for the idea that Freyja will not be fit for the idol role anymore if we continue with Delta, I can see that happening. Echoing an earlier sentiment, I think it would be cool to see Mirage discover a latent power since Asami Seto can sing after all (and marketing sure has gone out of it's way with the implications such as images of Mirage in a Mikumo outfit variant). That said, it wouldn't be the first time a character had a VA with singing talent who did no singing in Macross (Tomo Sakurai who voiced Mylene in Macross 7 is a singer as well, but instead Mylene's singing role was given to Chie Kajiura... who didn't really sound that similar).

Ehhh Frontier characters making a reaperance isn't that far fetched. Mostly because Freyja and Heinz will both probably be dead in under a year ( her let me enjoy what little time I have left line to Mirage tells me she might be on the same timeframe as Cassim after his suden onse calcification) which would really make it a new story. Pluss this would be the first sequel of this nature so cold rules may not apply.

I can kinda see Alto and Sheryl joining. Sheryl was at a bit of loose ends and could have gotten a contract with Chaos since entertainment/ comunications are their main thing. If her and Alto stayed together then he would probably get hired as her head of security. He'll they could have a kid or two in the range of Chuck's siblings. Remember Sheryl would be older than all other members of Walkure and I can totally see her going all mama bear. 

As for Alto... well I can see Ahead and/or Johnson getting canned as scapegoats for some of the more questionable things that went on (Reina's indentured servitude, and the clone rights abuses of Mikumo in addition to the military situation.). Alto would make a good replacement since he has a personality that would clash with most of the Delta cast.

Damn. Ok after writing it out Alto in command of Chaos security forces in the cluster with Johnson still in command of the Ellison sounds awsome. Made all the better by the fact that unless I'm mistaken Bouge would be the white knight. 

Start with Windamere accepting terms of surrender to the rest of the cluster then introduce a new threat that everyone has to deal with. 

Like ohhh I don't know have that Megaroad project work which brings back that fleet and the supervision army grand fleet that fell into the same dimensional trap that they did.

On ‎3‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 11:02 AM, kajnrig said:

No no no, no Ranka or Sheryl. It'll be Mirage filling in, after they discover she has fold wave capacity or whatever it is.

I was waiting for this literally the entire series.  It would have actually made things in the second half interesting too. 

Delta pushed the mathematical limits of what can be considered a triangle... the angle was so narrow, it may as well have been Hayate and Freyja hugging in L.A. while Mirage watched from New York.

I know it's probably not popular for a reason, but I'd really love to see them get back to something more akin to Zero.  Actual military, actual conflict, with Protoculture craziness providing the backdrop instead of the key plot points.  Do some jumping around and actually explore all these other planets and alien races. 

Or you know, if fold-wave sensitivity is some sort of new step of human evolution, we could go the full shounen route, and have humans developing superhuman abilities related to music.  Then we can have the idols go the full-on magical girl, flying around in MAXL-style valks, and singing in combat to choreograph their attacks and power themselves up...

See.. while I want to say I just threw up in my mouth a little, I'm also extremely curious what that would look like, or how good it could actually get. :p

Edited by Chronocidal

41 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

I was waiting for this literally the entire series.  It would have actually made things in the second half interesting too. 

You and me both.

42 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

Delta pushed the mathematical limits of what can be considered a triangle... the angle was so narrow, it may as well have been Hayate and Freyja hugging in L.A. while Mirage watched from New York.

I was hoping for this angle, actually. Hayate and Freyja snog during that birthday with the snow and stuff and the third less invested party just says "eh screw it" and focuses on her other just as relevant and important priorities.

On 21 March 2017 at 4:52 AM, Master Dex said:

While I get that a lot of people would love to see Frontier characters magically take part in Delta's story line (if it indeed is continuing), no one can seriously believe that is at all possible... or even really a good idea. Cause I think it sounds terrible. Not because Delta is a worse show (though it isn't as good for sure, and don't get me wrong I love me some Sheryl), but because that is not those people's story. Their story is told, and if they ever get any follow ups... it will not be a part of Delta (big crossover events like Macross 30 are exceptions, but even then that was a standalone story as well and more focused on the original characters in that game). Really with the exception of the Jenius family Kawamori is pretty predictable about not mixing elements of the different series/OVAs/Movies.

As for the idea that Freyja will not be fit for the idol role anymore if we continue with Delta, I can see that happening. Echoing an earlier sentiment, I think it would be cool to see Mirage discover a latent power since Asami Seto can sing after all (and marketing sure has gone out of it's way with the implications such as images of Mirage in a Mikumo outfit variant). That said, it wouldn't be the first time a character had a VA with singing talent who did no singing in Macross (Tomo Sakurai who voiced Mylene in Macross 7 is a singer as well, but instead Mylene's singing role was given to Chie Kajiura... who didn't really sound that similar).

I totally agree that kawamori doesn't prefer to mix characters from older shows and starts anew. Good way to keep the franchise fresh too imo.

The only thing that made me wonder if the new show was a continuation of delta and abt Freya's recurring role is that in actual life, the walkure singers are apparently a hit in Japan.

So what do you do to prolong the life of an actual singing group, whose basis for formation was an anime? They can't disappear after 1 year if they are a hit...hence the question of do you further the anime and if you do what happens to the walkure....esp freya...

Part of me also wishes macross has a zero like series, however the powers that be might be looking at it from the income that can be made from the popularity of the actual real life group...

whatever they come up with I just hope they have a good storyline..am getting spoiled by Gundam IBO and their hooks in ur heart story...

33 minutes ago, seti88 said:

Part of me also wishes macross has a zero like series, however the powers that be might be looking at it from the income that can be made from the popularity of the actual real life group...

A zero like series... like some sort of... Macross Zero? Surely you jest good sir.

(lol, I think that might be a typo cause the sentence confuses me, but I could not resist doing that, haha.)

38 minutes ago, Master Dex said:

A zero like series... like some sort of... Macross Zero? Surely you jest good sir.

(lol, I think that might be a typo cause the sentence confuses me, but I could not resist doing that, haha.)

Zero likes for a zero series..LOL...i know the minute i posted it, i was thinking it could be read another way...:D

i realize macross zero may not be everyone's cup of tea, but i enjoyed it nevertheless..^_^ 

also...more valks and less walkures pls! :D

Edited by seti88

It did, but they just got used as plot points and set pieces.  And you can't convince me that the cat-person planet was not one big setup for nekomimi merchandising. :lol:

At least they went into some sort of detail with how Windermereans were different from humans, and explored their history, but there's a whole lot of history to explore for all the aliens in that sector of space, if you don't want your aliens to be written off like your typical cliché alien of the week on Star Trek.  "Here's our planet of mer-people.  They do ocean things, and like seafood.  And here's our planet of cat-people.  They're like humans... but with cat ears."  Just do something with them.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd enjoy a twist were one of the Walkure girls has to 'leave' and they recruit Mirage to do some singing with them. Just seeing her blushing face every time she was faced with a wardrobe change would be worth the price of admission.

Not a fan of blushing but I would like Mirage to have more confidence in herself.

Edit: typed reply to wrong thread note to self this is what happens when you open multiple tabs lol

Edited by hachi
wrong thread reply

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/21/2017 at 7:29 PM, seti88 said:

I totally agree that kawamori doesn't prefer to mix characters from older shows and starts anew. Good way to keep the franchise fresh too imo.

The only thing that made me wonder if the new show was a continuation of delta and abt Freya's recurring role is that in actual life, the walkure singers are apparently a hit in Japan.

So what do you do to prolong the life of an actual singing group, whose basis for formation was an anime? They can't disappear after 1 year if they are a hit...hence the question of do you further the anime and if you do what happens to the walkure....esp freya...

whatever they come up with I just hope they have a good storyline..am getting spoiled by Gundam IBO and their hooks in ur heart story...

Do we know if Kawamori will even be involved?

I wonder if he wants to return with the Chinese bankrolling his original ideas now.  He may not wish to return to a universe he has well established. Keep in mind he stepped away from it once before in the 80's and Plus was not intended to be a Macross title, but the only way to get it produced was to make is a Macross title.  He has become typecast as it were as a Macross only story teller, which I'm sure he is not fond of.   Lucas created a deep world in the Star Wars universe that others are now exploring to great success.  There is no reason a quality show runner couldn't do the same with a new Macross production.

Edited by Zinjo

10 hours ago, Zinjo said:

Do we know if Kawamori will even be involved?

I wonder if he wants to return with the Chinese bankrolling his original ideas now.  He may not wish to return to a universe he has well established. Keep in mind he stepped away from it once before in the 80's and Plus was not intended to be a Macross title, but the only way to get it produced was to make is a Macross title.  He has become typecast as it were as a Macross only story teller, which I'm sure he is not fond of.   Lucas created a deep world in the Star Wars universe that others are now exploring to great success.  There is no reason a quality show runner couldn't do the same with a new Macross production.

Good point, he is working on another anime as well isn't he? Like graham said, I do hope he still does the mechanical design or at least supervises it.

Valk design is like the thread that links all the macross universe together so I hope there isn't any break in it.

But being an experienced industry veteran I wouldn't expect him to abandon macross totally, he would know how to provide enough guidance to the teams to ensure a good production, whilst also starting other projects. Looking at how he is welcomed at all macross delta events, one would think he totally enjoys the limelight and even in interviews he expresses sadness at his uncredited efforts in creating the macross universe.

At least I find kawamori not as extreme as tomino creating complicated storylines/characters, and have hope that macross would grow well with kawamori's input and experience.

He could become a supervising producer and keep designing valks which is what he enjoys.  It allows him to stay involved without actually being involved in the day to day.

Edited by Zinjo

I think Delta proved it's time for some new cooks in the kitchen.. Might be time for a full reboot or a sequel that has very few ties to other series.. Kawamori is second to none mecha designer but his current philosophy of non violent battles is getting a little old.. Yes, it must have flashy mecha to catch your eye but a real plot is badly needed..

I am probably in a minority at this point but I still want a Generations thing. The one that seemed to be set up with the "signal from Megaroad" bit. 

If the 35th anniversary movie is that, I'm gonna be happy. A Generations series would probably be harder to craft but if they do it, fine too.

Time might be running out - just how many more years will Mari Iijima be able to sing and voice-act? And you can't have Generations without Minmay, and you can't really have a different Minmay either.

I'd prefer to get some Basara too but I realize this might be less likely... and hopes for any link to the Sharon Apple plot are even less likely, despite the obvious sequel hook at the end of Plus (chip preserved).

1 hour ago, Saruta said:

I am probably in a minority at this point but I still want a Generations thing. The one that seemed to be set up with the "signal from Megaroad" bit. 

If the 35th anniversary movie is that, I'm gonna be happy. A Generations series would probably be harder to craft but if they do it, fine too.

Time might be running out - just how many more years will Mari Iijima be able to sing and voice-act? And you can't have Generations without Minmay, and you can't really have a different Minmay either.

I'd prefer to get some Basara too but I realize this might be less likely... and hopes for any link to the Sharon Apple plot are even less likely, despite the obvious sequel hook at the end of Plus (chip preserved).

It's just... when I hear this.... I know it was a video game so not everyone counts it... but this is basically what Macross 30 was. So I kinda feel like it's been done.

Unless you mean a story with all of them at the age they'd be in Delta's time frame (though I can think of several other issues with that). It'd at least be different I guess.

Yes, I do mean a story with all of them at the age they'd be in the Delta timeframe. I guess I want some ends tied up and to see, and most importantly hear, much-older Minmay and somewhat-older Ranka and Sheryl (and Basara if they do put him in).

Well you can hear what their older singing voices would sound like by listening to the contemporary performances of their singing talents (Sheryl and Ranka likely wouldn't sound too different since it hasn't been that long and May'n and Megumi still sound pretty much the same, Fukuyama's (Basara) voice does sound a bit older though, as I'm sure Mari's does despite that she isn't that old really herself). However I know you want it in the context of a Macross story. I just think such a thing would be too much of a contrived story when the reunion concerts do most of that anyway. I'd prefer continued fresh storytelling (perhaps this time with some effort put into the writing, heh).

23 hours ago, Master Dex said:

I'd prefer continued fresh storytelling (perhaps this time with some effort put into the writing, heh).

This I wholeheartedly agree with. Other than the odd cameo I'd prefer not to revisit main characters. It'd be fine if it was secondary characters that came into a new Macross iteration.

Still feel it will be in the Delta context though. Walkure is still pretty popular. Gotta strike the iron while it's hot.

7 minutes ago, Marzan said:

This I wholeheartedly agree with. Other than the odd cameo I'd prefer not to revisit main characters. It'd be fine if it was secondary characters that came into a new Macross iteration.

Still feel it will be in the Delta context though. Walkure is still pretty popular. Gotta strike the iron while it's hot.

You'd only need a movie worth to finish Delta, which I'm fine with. It would be nice to see the after-effects of the hive-mind event from the prospective of another colony fleet, colony or better yet, Earth. 

On 5/2/2017 at 1:28 PM, terry the lone wolf said:

I think Delta proved it's time for some new cooks in the kitchen.. Might be time for a full reboot or a sequel that has very few ties to other series.. Kawamori is second to none mecha designer but his current philosophy of non violent battles is getting a little old.. Yes, it must have flashy mecha to catch your eye but a real plot is badly needed..

Well the scuttlebutt is that he wanted a war story, but he sponsors wanted and idol show since that is in vogue right now.  Perhaps that is why the Delta story seemed "phoned in" or farmed out.  He bailed to work on his own project and left the details to the producer and director.  Not that his works are terribly ground breaking, but Frontier was much more palatable than Delta was for me.

Edited by Zinjo

2 hours ago, Zinjo said:

Well the scuttlebutt is that he wanted a war story, but he sponsors wanted and idol show since that is in vogue right now.  Perhaps that is why the Delta story seemed "phoned in" or farmed out.  He bailed to work on his own project and left the details to the producer and director.  Not that his works are terribly ground breaking, but Frontier was much more palatable than Delta was for me.

He didn't want a war story, he wanted an air racing competition story. It is many of us that want war stories it seems. I'm ambivalent as long as it is entertaining and well written. Delta got half that at least for me.

It is many of us that want war stories it seems.

Indeed. Who cares about idols? Give us all out war Zentradi action.

Why cant we get a gently re-imagined (as in don't change the story or designs just update the animation) for SDFM, in addition to new series I have to ask? I mean Evangelion got a little bit of an animation update  didn't it..? :rolleyes: