New Macross TV Series in 20xx (sometime this decade)

Tochiro

Definitely give light coverage and maybe speculations at first. Light enough that it might not even impede slow roll out of older info if possible I'd say. 

7 hours ago, Graham said:

I wanna see the new mecha designs ASAP.

And I just hope this new show has more mecha action then Delta.

What? 99% Fighter only while doing Scissors manuevers and dramtically yelling "aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhh" with speed lines doesn't count as action?

On 8/3/2018 at 7:24 PM, Master Dex said:

Definitely give light coverage and maybe speculations at first. Light enough that it might not even impede slow roll out of older info if possible I'd say. 

Well, it's not like we're going to get anything particularly substantial for a while anyway... especially since most of what we'll have will be the official website.

The official info on macross.jp was painfully sparse for Macross Delta.  Hayate's bio was one of the longest, at a whopping three sentences on top of his age, birthday, and height.  The longest page given to any mechanical design had all of two sentences on it.

11 hours ago, Graham said:

I wanna see the new mecha designs ASAP.

And I just hope this new show has more mecha action then Delta.

Just watch... VF-171s, but this time they're light green instead of light brown!

:p

EDIT: Or maybe Barbie Pink, like in Macross E.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

Hopefully, every episode of the new series features at least 2 minutes of mecha action. 

See, I'm not greedy, just 2 minutes per episode would satisfy me, I'll be willing to let the rest of each episode be idols, singing, characters behaving stupidly, etc.

As long as we don't have a situation like delta where episodes 14 - 23 featured no mecha action at all.

4 hours ago, Graham said:

As long as we don't have a situation like delta where episodes 14 - 23 featured no mecha action at all.

...Or any plot and substantial character development. 

13 hours ago, Graham said:

Hopefully, every episode of the new series features at least 2 minutes of mecha action. 

See, I'm not greedy, just 2 minutes per episode would satisfy me, I'll be willing to let the rest of each episode be idols, singing, characters behaving stupidly, etc.

Careful what you wish for, the opening and ending credits could cover that amount of time. :p 

2 hours ago, Bolt said:

I know it's been speculated but I don't recal if we know just how many years or months this will take place after Delta..?

or before..?

We have no details on anything regarding the story. One would assume the new series takes place after Delta, but even that is unconfirmed.

2 hours ago, Bolt said:

I know it's been speculated but I don't recal if we know just how many years or months this will take place after Delta..?

We know literally nothing... not even the title.

That state of affairs will likely persist until at least late September, possibly late October, when they'll give us the title and maybe a teaser trailer if the pattern holds.

40 minutes ago, SMS007 said:

We have no details on anything [...]

You could've saved yourself some typing and stopped after six words!

3 hours ago, Bolt said:

or before..?

Won't really matter if before or after.

The new macross tv will have a hero that will gain the ability to reverse time.

And will meet twin valkyries.

That change into maids.

That sings in duet...

what?

That’s suspiciously plausible if Kawamori can’t fight the producers again. What’s more, the twin Valkmaids can combine into one Valkyrie with enhanced performance...

13 hours ago, treatment said:

Nah, we already did the time travel schtick in Macross 30, and you know how Kawamori hates to do the same thing twice.

If yoiu're going for VF girls, why not cut out the middleman and just adopt Strike Witches as a Macross series... Chris Hansen needs work, y'know. :p 

11 hours ago, JB0 said:

Wasn't that the plot of End of the Circle?

Nah, that was some garbage about a stable time loop, the original trio's kids growing up to be evil bald space Romans in ugly dresses, and magic flowers being The Force.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

4 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Nah, we already did the time travel schtick in Macross 30, and you know how Kawamori hates to do the same thing twice.

If yoiu're going for VF girls, why not cut out the middleman and just adopt Strike Witches as a Macross series... Chris Hansen needs work, y'know. :p

Bandai's prolly prodding Kawamori heavily with that concept just to give fresh life to their nascent AGP line...

:bump:

7 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

I prefer Sky Girls, personally. Can we get Konami on-board with this?

On 8/7/2018 at 11:55 PM, treatment said:

And will meet twin valkyries.

That change into maids.

That sings in duet...

And one of those maids has big boobs

18 hours ago, treatment said:

Bandai's prolly prodding Kawamori heavily with that concept just to give fresh life to their nascent AGP line...

:bump:

14 hours ago, JB0 said:

I prefer Sky Girls, personally. Can we get Konami on-board with this?

The noise I just made was somewhere between a scream of unremitting horror and the sound of an old fax modem connecting...

I really, sincerely hope we never end up at that point with Macross... there's enough anime out there already that seems tailor made for Japan's moral guardians to point to and claim that anime causes sex offenders as it is.  

(I'm no prude, but I was never able to get past the third episode or so of Strike Witches because the whole thing left me feeling like Chris Hansen was gonna bust through my living room wall like the goddamn Kool-Aid Man if I kept watching it.)

18 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

The noise I just made was somewhere between a scream of unremitting horror and the sound of an old fax modem connecting...

I really, sincerely hope we never end up at that point with Macross... there's enough anime out there already that seems tailor made for Japan's moral guardians to point to and claim that anime causes sex offenders as it is.  

(I'm no prude, but I was never able to get past the third episode or so of Strike Witches because the whole thing left me feeling like Chris Hansen was gonna bust through my living room wall like the goddamn Kool-Aid Man if I kept watching it.)

In seriousness, I don't want to see Macross going that route. I watched half of the original Strike Witches OVA back when it was new, and I still feel dirty a decade later. And, well, I like Macross's vehicles at least SEEMING realistic.

( Sky Girls is on my "far better than it has a right to be" list. Which is the only reason I will admit to having watched it. )

Edited by JB0

5 hours ago, JB0 said:

In seriousness, I don't want to see Macross going that route.

Given that forcing the writers to go all-in on promoting an idol group was enough to bring the story of the last Macross TV series to its knees, I don't even want to contemplate what a train wreck it'd be if they were forced to take a fanservice-heavy approach like Strike WitchesAsobi ni iku yo!, or, gods forbid, Transformers: Kiss Players.  

Macross has always been pretty good about doing its fanservice in moderation, and avoiding going anywhere creepy with it1.  I'm pretty confident they'll stay on the side of good taste with this latest series too.  That said, I wouldn't mind seeing a few more kickass woman pilots like Chelsea Scarlett, Aisha Blanchett, Sylvie Gena, etc.  With the mechanical counterpressure pilot suits that's still a bit fanservice-y, but the net benefit to the plot is a lot more than, say, a bath scene or a lot of gainaxing.

1. Well, OK... Macross Delta's got a few moments and pieces of art that are enormously creepy in hindsight... but I'd expect nobody told the artists who made Mikumo into Ms. Fanservice that she was actually only 3 years old, a clone, and that her social awareness was underdeveloped, so that wasn't really their fault.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

On ‎8‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 4:06 PM, Seto Kaiba said:

claim that anime causes sex offenders

How do they reason thusly? Do anime shows involve mind control via subliminal messages?

I despise such flawed reasoning where no-one is accountable for their own choices. Whatever happened to people being raised properly i.e. instilled with discipline and proper societal values in the home, and being thereby able to resist negative external influences?

"Raise the child in the way he should go and when he is old he will not depart from it."

I guess no-one should watch Disney cartoons either because they are so violent, lol. :wacko:

38 minutes ago, Podtastic said:

How do they reason thusly? Do anime shows involve mind control via subliminal messages?

Nah, it's the usual moral guardian tripe that seems to transcend national and cultural boundaries... X media contains Y controversial topic, therefore it must be encouraging its audience to do Y.  Like the oft-discussed and thoroughly debunked argument that violent video games encourage players to be violent offenders in the real world.  The gist of their argument being that titles with loli characters are going to cause their audience to lust after children for real.

On Friday, August 10, 2018 at 6:12 PM, Seto Kaiba said:

Nah, it's the usual moral guardian tripe that seems to transcend national and cultural boundaries... X media contains Y controversial topic, therefore it must be encouraging its audience to do Y.  Like the oft-discussed and thoroughly debunked argument that violent video games encourage players to be violent offenders in the real world.  The gist of their argument being that titles with loli characters are going to cause their audience to lust after children for real.

I am living proof of said debunking. My childhood play was nothing but endless glorious battles throughout time and across the omniverse... yet I am not a mass muderer/serial killer as an adult. Hmm.

17 hours ago, Podtastic said:

I am living proof of said debunking. My childhood play was nothing but endless glorious battles throughout time and across the omniverse... yet I am not a mass muderer/serial killer as an adult. Hmm. 

I'm not either, but I must admit that "living in an underground lair and/or on a volcanic island" is one of my life goals. Say what you will about the bad guys, but they have STYLE.

On 8/11/2018 at 1:13 PM, Podtastic said:

I think pretty much all of us are.  I grew up on Star Trek and I've been stuck on the same planet my entire life, with a noticeable dearth of faster-than-light starships and green-skinned alien women asking to be taught what this thing called "love" is.

Lucky us, Macross's creators have kept the show fairly clean to the point where I don't think it's ever been the target of an outcry from the self-appointed moral guardian types.  I'd like very much for Macross to continue with the substance-before-fanservice approach.  Even Delta, which focused on its idol group to the exclusion of almost everything else, mostly kept the fanservice tasteful and subtle.

They have a golden opportunity to do some early promotion of the new series coming up, since IIRC the Macross Delta: Passionate Walkure BD/DVD release is the 28th.

I have played shooter video games since I was 5 and never have I ever bought my own handgun (though it is, of course, legal in the U.S.).

So every time idiots or people with agendas blame violent video games for school shootings, I am infuriated at the lies. They need to be dumped in the UK or Australia or Japan to see their stupidity made manifest.

7 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

They have a golden opportunity to do some early promotion of the new series coming up, since IIRC the Macross Delta: Passionate Walkure BD/DVD release is the 28th.

Mr. Kawamori and Mr. Hidetaka are scheduled to make an appearance at the Osamu Tezuka Manga Museum on Sept. 1:  http://www.city.takarazuka.hyogo.jp/tezuka/4000020/4000209.html

It's another opportunity, but the venue is too small for such a big announcement.

12 hours ago, sketchley said:

Mr. Kawamori and Mr. Hidetaka are scheduled to make an appearance at the Osamu Tezuka Manga Museum on Sept. 1:  http://www.city.takarazuka.hyogo.jp/tezuka/4000020/4000209.html

Nice. :D 

12 hours ago, sketchley said:

It's another opportunity, but the venue is too small for such a big announcement.

Is there any known event on their respective calendars around the end of September?  If they truly are following the same production schedule as the last two times, that'd be around the time we'd expect them to unveil the title of the new series... with a trailer to follow around Halloween.

On 8/12/2018 at 1:55 PM, SMS007 said:

I have played shooter video games since I was 5 and never have I ever bought my own handgun (though it is, of course, legal in the U.S.).

So every time idiots or people with agendas blame violent video games for school shootings, I am infuriated at the lies. They need to be dumped in the UK or Australia or Japan to see their stupidity made manifest.

Nothing wrong with owning a firearm, I have around 30 firearms.  Many of them are black and scary AR15s and pistols, none of them have jumped up on their own and killed anyone.  

I also don't blame spoons for making me fat., or blame cars when some a-hole gets drunk drives one.

I don't blame anime for pedos, but I do blame the writers for shitty anime.

Edited by peter