New Macross TV Series in 20xx (sometime this decade)

Tochiro

4 hours ago, Podtastic said:

It is many of us that want war stories it seems.

Indeed. Who cares about idols? Give us all out war Zentradi action.

Why cant we get a gently re-imagined (as in don't change the story or designs just update the animation) for SDFM, in addition to new series I have to ask? I mean Evangelion got a little bit of an animation update  didn't it..? :rolleyes:

Totally agree with you, the old SDF-Macross TV needs an update to the animation...

10 minutes ago, Darotower said:

Totally agree with you, the old SDF-Macross TV needs an update to the animation...

I totally agree with you there esp upon seeing those new anime style rendition of SDF series in the Macross Pachinko game. In that style, I'm IN!

On 1/29/2017 at 11:24 AM, Gordon Freeman said:

If it is. The opening better involve SMS bombing the crap of the Wind Stus.

It was still not enough to save what ended up a crap show. Delta only has like one memorable song. While the VFs appeared very little. That doesn't make for a poorly written story and flat characters. Robot battles and big explosions are not the primary reasons Gundam is still going strong in Japan.

True gundam had a good storyline you could follow. heh i was wondering if they were going to come out with another?:rolleyes:

Edited by ZOR prime

24 minutes ago, kajnrig said:

I don't care about idols, but then I don't care about war, either, and I'm willing to sit and listen to good war stories. So...

As for an updated SDFM, isn't that exactly what Macross the First is?

I guess what Darotower meant is he wants an update on the SDFM animation. Whereas Macross The First is still in manga form and it's somehow a retelling of some sort of the original story. Would be nice too if there's an anime for The First.

Edited by no3Ljm

2 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

I guess what Darotower meant is he wants an update on the SDFM animation. Whereas Macross The First is still in manga form and it's somehow a retelling of some sort of the original story. Would be nice too if there's an anime for The First.

You are right! Same history, same music, same dialogue but new smooth and updated animation!

Macross the First looks very nice but I haven't read it yet... :unsure:

2 hours ago, Darotower said:

You are right! Same history, same music, same dialogue but new smooth and updated animation!

Macross the First looks very nice but I haven't read it yet... :unsure:

The only thing so far that I don't like from MtF is the VF-1's so-called 'Packs'. Oh and its 'release' schedule. Hehehe. :lol:

Macross should consider something like Gundam The Origin OAV approach.

45 minutes ago, no3Ljm said:

The only thing so far that I don't like from MtF is the VF-1's so-called 'Packs'. Oh and its 'release' schedule. Hehehe. :lol:

...not to be That Guy again, but isn't that basically what Macross Zero was? Unless you're talking Pre-pre-Space War 1, in which case all they'd be using are fighters, maybe rudimentary walking tanks, and... like at the very end maybe, the first "transforming" machine, a T-1 or some other trainer that can switch to a "Gerwalk"ish VTOL mode with manipulator arms stored in underwing pylons that fold up for aerodynamics.

Actually, now that I think about it, I'd be pretty down with that.

What are these Packs of which thou speakest?

EDIT:

Also congrats on 6,666 posts. O_O spooooky

Edited by kajnrig

On 5/8/2017 at 9:31 PM, Master Dex said:

Well you can hear what their older singing voices would sound like by listening to the contemporary performances of their singing talents (Sheryl and Ranka likely wouldn't sound too different since it hasn't been that long and May'n and Megumi still sound pretty much the same, Fukuyama's (Basara) voice does sound a bit older though, as I'm sure Mari's does despite that she isn't that old really herself). However I know you want it in the context of a Macross story. I just think such a thing would be too much of a contrived story when the reunion concerts do most of that anyway. I'd prefer continued fresh storytelling (perhaps this time with some effort put into the writing, heh).

Mari's work is indeed available and it's total headcanon for me that some of these songs are "older Minmay". There is one that, to me, seems like Minmay wrote the lyrics too - though Mari would probably not like this reading; it is called "Survivor". (Sadly I can't find a working link online now).

And there actually is a recent release of a Sheryl song. I hope they did mean that inworld it is a release from the Delta timeframe. A brief war in a distant part of the Galaxy and a loss of a NUNS fleet would not have interrupted Sheryl's career.

And yes, "Generations" stories can get contrived (as we know from the actual Star Trek Generations movie, "preserve Kirk in VR stasis just so he can meet Picard then get killed off anyway"). I wonder however - why did they put the "signal from Megaroad" quip in Delta if they are not planning a Generations movie/series?

I guess my own desire would be to see, not so much more of their *story* (it is likely their story is told), as the characters themselves - what kind of people they became in the later years. A Macross 30 type setting is grand in itself, but where M30 goes wrong for me (other than me not being able to see it for lack of a PS3) is the time travel angle. I would prefer to "meet" Minmay and Misa as different but majestic older women (not unlike Milia in M7); Basara as a middle-aged rocker and seasoned space traveler (Dynamite does that to a degree, though); Sheryl as an established star who learned to be truly independent and manages her own team with an iron fist; Ranka as an actual adult, etc. It's okay if they appear as auxiliaries to the mission of the new main characters.

From what I know of M30, the singer I'd believe in and appreciate the most in that version (if I had a PS3) is actually Sharon Apple; time travel vs. computer repair would not affect her all that much, she would not have changed from 20 years of experience because she was turned off, and her motivation in M30 sounds just right. Try to fix everything, and screw the consequences; that's what she would do.

Edited by Saruta

13 hours ago, Podtastic said:

It is many of us that want war stories it seems.

Indeed. Who cares about idols? Give us all out war Zentradi action.

Why cant we get a gently re-imagined (as in don't change the story or designs just update the animation) for SDFM, in addition to new series I have to ask? I mean Evangelion got a little bit of an animation update  didn't it..? :rolleyes:

You mean Macross the First?

6 hours ago, kajnrig said:

Ah, true enough. Certainly the knife fight could only improve with the addition of some modern sensibilities.

You can't beat perfection, even if they do remake SDFM I want them to keep the original knife fight animation in all its glory.

7 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

The only thing I didn't like was the change to the Zentraedi body armour. The classic SDFM Zentraedi armour and uniforms are so iconic.:wub:

4 hours ago, Devil 505 said:

You mean Macross the First?

Yes and no. I would love updated animation but I want to see the classic Zentradi mecha and armour designs. Pretty much like what we saw in the Macross Pachinko clips but extended to the entire series.

9 hours ago, Saruta said:

And yes, "Generations" stories can get contrived (as we know from the actual Star Trek Generations movie, "preserve Kirk in VR stasis just so he can meet Picard then get killed off anyway"). I wonder however - why did they put the "signal from Megaroad" quip in Delta if they are not planning a Generations movie/series?

Because Kawamori is a troll, lol. I literally believe that line was just shoved in there to poke fun at the fans constantly asking about those original character which SK constantly tells us he is done with and won't revisit. Why expect him to change things now?

22 hours ago, Podtastic said:

But they did change the Evangelion story. After the first movie, it's entirely different. They even said that it's not a remake but a sequel instead. 

2 hours ago, Convectuoso said:

They even said that it's not a remake but a sequel instead. 

Odd it looked like a remake to me, I mean there was a first meeting with Asuka and everything.

Anyway the point being simply that an update to the animation of the classic SDFM would rock. Classic designs, things shown maybe a little differently in places, but same overall scenarios. As I said like the Macross Pachinko clips.

I' wouldn't want a radical start from scratch "reboot' because often these are so different from the original as to be unrecognisable. And often they are not as good.

15 hours ago, kajnrig said:

...not to be That Guy again, but isn't that basically what Macross Zero was? Unless you're talking Pre-pre-Space War 1, in which case all they'd be using are fighters, maybe rudimentary walking tanks, and... like at the very end maybe, the first "transforming" machine, a T-1 or some other trainer that can switch to a "Gerwalk"ish VTOL mode with manipulator arms stored in underwing pylons that fold up for aerodynamics.

Actually, now that I think about it, I'd be pretty down with that.

What are these Packs of which thou speakest?

EDIT:

Also congrats on 6,666 posts. O_O spooooky

6666 posts? Didn't notice that. But thanks! :lol: 

The reason why I'm referring to Gundam The Origin OAV, is I would like to see something like that caliber with the first SDFM series. Like a six to eigth 40mins episode remake but with an OAV approach. Superb animation, soundtrack and cinematic feel. I don't care if they're going to incorporate a bridge between the ending of Zero up to Boobytrap. But it would be nice to see something like that ala-Macross Pachinko clips in full animation. Or in full series. And for sure it would be nice to see stories when they were starting to build their Valkyries. ;)

As for the VF-1 Packs that was featured in the Macross The First which it was already been posted in its proper thread. I only wish that if they do a 'remake' somehow they don't include these. As much as I like to see new packs designs for the VF-1, I somehow hate these. Felt like Mikimoto is doing Gundam.:nea: 

Super Attacker
SQMiJei.jpg

Super Maneuver
mTTT5tT.jpg

Super Cruiser
pcoGAUG.jpg

Yeah. That's also my expression on the bottom part after I've seen this. :blink:

Anyways, don't want to derail this topic anymore so let's head over to the Macross The First thread if we need to discuss about these ugly packs. :lol:

On 5/15/2017 at 0:01 PM, Darotower said:

Lol we zentadie live for war.

BTW what was that army they were fighting in macross?

Was it the ZOR?

On May 16, 2017 at 6:43 AM, Podtastic said:

Invid in Macross or Robotech remake as well?

Macross tries to be anti-war, Robotech is about blind patriotism and I guess misogyny based on what has come out recently.

Macross the First also has a possible candidate for who Lady M is.

2 hours ago, Einherjar said:

Macross tries to be anti-war, Robotech is about blind patriotism and I guess misogyny based on what has come out recently.

Macross the First also has a possible candidate for who Lady M is.

Yeah what happened to admiral ichijiro? And misa, hayasa. max and mirayas daughter?

to be  honest, I have little interest in a remake of the SDFM TV series with updated animation.

The original series is still good enough, wonky animation and all.

I would however be OK with a side-story OVA set in the same period.

Anyway, we already have a reamake of SDFM with superior animation, it's called DYRL :p

True I don't know what more they can do. And so far Sony is dragging their feet with the live robotech movie. But i can always dream. Macross is more graphic,but then so is any other original anime series.:D

Edited by ZOR prime
typo

11 hours ago, Graham said:

to be  honest, I have little interest in a remake of the SDFM TV series with updated animation.

The original series is still good enough, wonky animation and all.

I would however be OK with a side-story OVA set in the same period.

Anyway, we already have a reamake of SDFM with superior animation, it's called DYRL :p

I agree. I don't think a remake is needed, but I would definitely support a fan project looking for correcting some issues, like some coloring mistakes and some poor drawings, thus enhancing the original series