New Macross TV Series in 20xx (sometime this decade)

Tochiro

On the subject of the YF-24 (inb4 Seto.. but he'll likely give his whole spiel anyway. and better than me, lol) and whether it is better than the VF-25. We know the base YF-24 design created by Federal NUNS is scary powerful, to an extent we aren't entirely clear on because it has had no focus. It is also still a prototype though. Presumanly Federal NUNS (aka Earth) would have then produced a VF-24 from it that is one of the most powerful VFs. However we really don't know anything about that for sure, it is just a smart bet.

Now... When NUNS distributes the YF-24 design plans.. they do simplify them on purpose. The Emigrant Fleets and Colonies get a 'monkey model' design which they can use to produce new VFs. Frontier developed the YF-25 from the design, which then then mass produced into the VF-25 (Olympia created a YF-26, which ultimately did not outperform the 25, so it wasn't developed past that, and Galaxy developed the YF-27 and later VF-27 on their own while doing some shady stuff at the same time for the evulz). The refinement of the ISC in the VF-25 from the YF-24 design likely refers to a local improvement on the filtered designs for the 24. It is possible it is still inferior to the Federal version (or maybe not.. hard to say). Frontier later developed the YF-29 which with it's fold wave system is likely on par with a Federal NUNS YF-24... but the YF-29 is so prohibitively expensive they could only afford to make one of them (which Alto went and crashed naturally, nice job breaking it hero). The YF-30 was just a tech demonstrator for the Fold Dimensional Resonance system really, and not actually meant to be a prototype for a VF line. It was termed YF as a sly way for SMS to not have to release all their data if I recall, but they ultimately must have had to since Surya Aerospace was later able to simply it up to develop the VF-31 Kairos (and later the ace custom Seigfried models) without the fancy tech the YF-30 was actually made to showcase. Somewhere there is apparently a VF-30 too, maybe on Uroborous... but we don't know anything about it.

I always thought the VF-25 in SMS use was quite under-armed in the atmosphere, having only the 58m gunpod, head laser(s), 25mm wing root guns and in SMS use at least in the anime and movies, missiles were never carried on the wing hard-points in atmosphere.

It wasn't until IIRC the PS3 Hybrid games that we saw missiles on the wings of the VF-25.

On 2/14/2017 at 10:45 PM, Graham said:

Gotta disagree with you that the VF-31 looks like recycled everything from the VF-25. Looking at the 1/60 toys on my shelf they are completely different, especially in fighter mode. Actually, the extra long nose of the VF-25 has really started to bug me recently. VF-31 in fighter mode of course looks more similar to the YF-30 (which it is based on) with a dash of VF-19F/S (one of my favorite Valks) thrown in.

Yes, in battroid mode, there are more obvious similarities in appearance between the VF-25 and the VF-31, such as the nose cone position and the wings sticking out from the back, but that's about it really.

You know, I think it is the long nose.  The VF-31's isn't that long, but I blame all of it on the Russians and those Flankers.  Ever since those planes came along, everyone of the hero designs by Kawamori seem to sport those particular nose, it was as if everyone of those, the -19, -21, -22, -24, on down the line all had the flanker nose.  It even made it onto the VF-171 It's like every one of those fighters had the same nose, and then slapped slight variations of the bodies on, forward swept wing, check, delta wing, check, standard swing wing, check.

That's one reason I think the SV-262 was a fresher design... sure, it ripped off the Swedes, but at least it was "original"

17 hours ago, Master Dex said:

but the YF-29 is so prohibitively expensive they could only afford to make one of them (which Alto went and crashed naturally, nice job breaking it hero).

Two if you count the YF-29B.

7 hours ago, kalvasflam said:

You know, I think it is the long nose.  The VF-31's isn't that long, but I blame all of it on the Russians and those Flankers.  Ever since those planes came along, everyone of the hero designs by Kawamori seem to sport those particular nose, it was as if everyone of those, the -19, -21, -22, -24, on down the line all had the flanker nose.  It even made it onto the VF-171 It's like every one of those fighters had the same nose, and then slapped slight variations of the bodies on, forward swept wing, check, delta wing, check, standard swing wing, check.

That's one reason I think the SV-262 was a fresher design... sure, it ripped off the Swedes, but at least it was "original"

The SV-51/52 has the excuse of being partially designed by the Russians.

If I recall correctly, later VFs have the ISC stored in the nose, which explains the larger nose.

As for the Sv-262, it's no different than the VF-0/1/25 ripping off the F-14, the YF-21/VF-22 ripping off the YF-23, or the Sv-154 (via the LV-7) ripping off the F-104.

2 hours ago, Devil 505 said:

Two if you count the YF-29B.

I didn't because the Frontier Fleet didn't build that, Havamal did, with NUNS funding. 

They could afford it. 

On 1/29/2017 at 6:25 AM, Tochiro said:

At the end of today's Walkure concert, we got 3 announcements:

1)New Macross tv series in 2018

2)'Superdimension Films' 35th anniversary project this year. 

3)Walkure concert in Bluray and DVD. 

UPDATED: added links to ANN articles  

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2017-01-29/macross-gets-new-tv-anime-in-2018-35th-anniversary-project/.111595

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2017-01-29/macross-35th-anniversary-includes-vr-concert-planetarium-projects-in-2017/.111598

IMG_3130.JPG

Wow a movie project & a TV series.

Methinks Big West is looking to turn Macross into a "Gundam like" property.  Releasing new shows more regularly.  It also suggests that Kawamori san may not be as involved in the stories as he has been before since it takes him about 3 years to develop a story on his own.

I am hoping for a Movie or OVA series that take place in the earlier decades of the universe, 2040's, early 2050's so they can concentrate on story and characters and less on devising a "new revelation" for the audiences.  The Japanese love Korean dramas because they are well written dramas, not because they are Korean.  A good story transcends age and genre.

Edited by Zinjo

2 hours ago, Zinjo said:

Wow a movie project & a TV series.

Methinks Big West is looking to turn Macross into a "Gundam like" property.  Releasing new shows more regularly.  It also suggests that Kawamori san may not be as involved in the stories as he has been before since it takes him about 3 years to develop a story on his own.

I am hoping for a Movie or OVA series that take place in the earlier decades of the universe, 2040's, early 2050's so they can concentrate on story and characters and less on devising a "new revelation" for the audiences.  The Japanese love Korean dramas because they are well written dramas, not because they are Korean.  A good story transcends age and genre.

At this point, I'm just glad that Big West has been churning out a lot more than what HG has been for well over a decade.

Edited by Devil 505

• 2 weeks later...

All I heard was part of the 35th anniversary was revealed to be a new Sheryl project. I don't think it was supposed to be related to the new show.

On 3/6/2017 at 1:24 PM, mog_kupo said:

Dont know if its the right topic, but there is some information about a new series, based on the end of Wings of Goodbye (Frontier) and linking to Delta

17103575_10210439475737518_4436552090439890939_n.jpg

It's just the Macross 35th anniversary logo, that's all. Don't read too much into it. Just because there is a VF-25 in the logo, it doesn't`mean the coming 2018 TV series will be based on Frontier.

The Logo has VFs from all eras.............VF-1, YF-19, VF-19, VF-25, VF-31 and is just meant to show representative VFs from the past 35 years of Macross.

8 hours ago, Graham said:

It's just the Macross 35th anniversary logo, that's all. Don't read too much into it. Just because there is a VF-25 in the logo, it doesn't`mean the coming 2018 TV series will be based on Frontier.

The Logo has VFs from all eras.............VF-1, YF-19, VF-19, VF-25, VF-31 and is just meant to show representative VFs from the past 35 years of Macross.

I don't know why he plopped the logo in there but that isn't what the poster was referring to, there actually was an announcement about a new Sheryl project. That said it is unlikely to be directly related to the new show.

3 hours ago, akt_m said:

What do you guys think Kawamori will do?

Go back to Macross Plus and do a more mecha oriented Macross?

Or go full idol and make SoL Idol Macross anime with only female characters?

I hope he makes a decent update with a good story and beautiful mecha.. And a plot..

On 3/11/2017 at 4:06 AM, akt_m said:

What do you guys think Kawamori will do?

Go back to Macross Plus and do a more mecha oriented Macross?

Or go full idol and make SoL Idol Macross anime with only female characters?

I think we can expect something new each time out. And when he is in the right mood, we will get serious mecha action as well. 

Given the short development time between this and Delta, I'm still thinking this will be a direct Delta sequel.

Unless the 2018 series has already been in development for quite a while already and it was kept secret, I doubt they had time to develop something completely new in the short time available. But what do I know, I could be wrong.

2 hours ago, Zx31 said:

Delta is great, I'm fine with more Delta. I'm also fine with something new.

You must be smoking that US Government grown ganja because wut lol ^^ 

What was great for me watching the Sheryl vid was that every morning I would drink coffee at the spot it was shown in Akiba. I even bought my first Valk in Japan in the same building. But yeah looking forward to the new show.

Has there been any talent shows? I know Macross usually looks for new singers right? So if no new talent shows then older singers will be coming back?

7 hours ago, Heron said:

You must be smoking that US Government grown ganja because wut lol ^^ 

Delta was the most entertaining show they've made so far. The designs are great, the characters are well written and enjoyable, the three people in the love triangle act like emotionally mature people, there is a good balance between action in the first half and story development in the second half, and I enjoyed watching the whole show. While I understand some of the critiques of the series, the show follows a natural progression of style and influence from Macross 7 and Frontier and refines it.

On 3/14/2017 at 5:32 PM, Graham said:

Given the short development time between this and Delta, I'm still thinking this will be a direct Delta sequel.

Unless the 2018 series has already been in development for quite a while already and it was kept secret, I doubt they had time to develop something completely new in the short time available. But what do I know, I could be wrong.

That's it! The reason why the 2nd half of Delta didn't do great was because they were busy with this next series!

20 hours ago, Graham said:

If it is an all new series and not a continuation of Delta, I'm hoping it's a completely different team working on it.

16 hours ago, seti88 said:

Whatever it is, i hope it involves, more thought out valk scenes, instead of lazy looking wide shots and zig-zagging in the majority of the delta series.

Yes, same thoughts.  Plus I hope they chose Heavy Metal for music.  Basara was the only male "Idol" (not counting the Jamming Bords) singing ROCK in a Macross Series.

8 hours ago, Bub said:

Yes, same thoughts.  Plus I hope they chose Heavy Metal for music.  Basara was the only male "Idol" (not counting the Jamming Bords) singing ROCK in a Macross Series.

Kawamori has stated he is not sure he can ever top Basara as a male singer (which in terms of skill sounds hard to argue with), so it is likely we'll only see female idols from now on. I also would prefer him trying it again too though even if I kind of get where he is coming from. Basara may have been an egotistical a-hole, but he was a damn good singer, you get that kind of quality when you use Yoshiki Fukuyama as his singing voice after all, lol.

5 hours ago, Convectuoso said:

So he thinks is going to be easy to top Sheryl as a female singer?

Walküre was not even close to that

They don't have to top singing ability.  They just need to top the cute or sexy factor.   Sheryl & Ranka were just 2 girls.  Walkure were 5.  See over twice as much right there.

Just make it a "Top Gun"/"Ace of Aces" school. The different aces from the various fleets allow for multiple Valkyrie models and just interject the series with songs from the past idols, while possibly introducing a new "break out" artist if the need is so great.

Edit: Whoever the main pilot ends up being can just have the "Iron Eagle/Doug McMaster's" radio taped to the leg; ipod/mp3 player now or whatever the future holds.

Edited by Wolf-1