Jump to content
Tochiro

New Macross TV Series in '19?.. 2020?.. 2021?...2022(one of those years)

Recommended Posts

Hmp. The only reason why I keep on coming back to this thread from this point is to see if they already released some info for the new Valkyries and if I need to start saving money for it.:nea:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Ignacio Ocamica said:

Can't remember, but before the first episode of Frontier was aired in December, when was the series name announced? And the logo of Frontier?

I don't recall when the logo was unveiled offhand, but I remember when they first started teasing a new Macross series in the summer of '07 it was as "Macross 25".  They announced the title at the 25th Anniversary Live in August of that year. 

 

36 minutes ago, Ignacio Ocamica said:

By now, back then we were shown the silhouette of the VF-25 right?

It was either late October or November, IIRC, that we got our first real good look at the VF-25 and principal characters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

Hmp. The only reason why I keep on coming back to this thread from this point is to see if they already released some info for the new Valkyries and if I need to start saving money for it.:nea:

 

Just assume yes and start brown bagging it now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Mommar said:

Just assume yes and start brown bagging it now.

Done. ;)

giphy.webp

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My guess is, if they are going to announce a new series so soon, it may just be a short OVA mini series of Walküre going to the beach 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Convectuoso said:

My guess is, if they are going to announce a new series so soon, it may just be a short OVA mini series of Walküre going to the beach 

If that's all Delta had been, I wouldn't have minded one bit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Convectuoso said:

My guess is, if they are going to announce a new series so soon, it may just be a short OVA mini series of Walküre going to the beach 

Oh I hope not... if the Walkure fanboys want wrist exercise they can just buy the f***ing h-doujinshi.

I'd like to see something of actual substance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Oh I hope not... if the Walkure fanboys want wrist exercise they can just buy the f***ing h-doujinshi.

I'd like to see something of actual substance.

Barring a complete re-write, I'm not sure I'd want to see anything of substance having to do with this particular show...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love the VF-31 design, so I'd love to see a TV series or OVA about a squadron of skilled and sensible VF-31A military or PMC pilots with the emphasis on combat. But we all know the chances of that are slim to none.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Late to the party once again.  I couldn't get into Delta and never finished it.  I don't even remember where I left off at in the show.  Here's hoping for something better with the new TV series.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's hoping there even is a new TV series.

This deathly silence is kinda worrying.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Graham said:

I love the VF-31 design, so I'd love to see a TV series or OVA about a squadron of skilled and sensible VF-31A military or PMC pilots with the emphasis on combat. But we all know the chances of that are slim to none.

I can see it now.

Four pilots that were tight childhood friends.

One of them transferred out during school, and then returns back having developed some sort of rivalry with one of the other guys that he hasn't seen for some years.

Then they all reconciled and re-form their childhood team.

To compete in valk swimming.

Then, for whatever reason, valk biking.

All the while all of them being shown shirtless most of the time.  Including the valks.

Bandai will then title this anime Macross Free!...

 

 

 

What?

 

:clapping:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, treatment said:

All the while all of them being shown shirtless most of the time.  Including the valks.

Macross Shirtless sounds better. :lol:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think they will still milk the Delta frachise

Frontier got 2 movies and lots of valk releases besides the main squadron.

We are just getting chuck's dx and still waiting for the regular use / white / white S / drakkens, mirage's drakken, maybe vf 22, trainning vf 1 red or blue. 

But who knows how long till Macross shirtless with the vf 3x wet-shirt right??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I fell in love with Macross 37 years ago, when I was 12 years old.  Up until Delta I was an avid fan eagerly awaiting each new TV/Movie/OVA/Toy/Model/Book/CD release.

However, after Delta I honestly find myself struggling to maintain interest, even though I loved the Delta mecha designs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m still interested, but now I’m looking toward the new series with trepidation rather than anticipation. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Graham said:

However, after Delta I honestly find myself struggling to maintain interest, even though I loved the Delta mecha designs.

Yeah, Delta put a bit of a damper on my enthusiasm for future Macross works too.

I'm trying to stay positive about it.  Since I have little use for Walkure outside of their relevance to Macross, and quite frankly scarcely any more use for them in the Macross context, I'm trying to look at the dearth of new material resulting from the franchise's current obsession with Walkure as a nice little hiatus that'll let me catch up on the small mountain of stuff I've yet to finish without being distracted by new material.  (Not before time, mind you... the To-Do pile is at least 2m tall and was growing all the time!)

Still, after a half-assed Macross series that was 100% about promoting an idol group, I can't escape the feeling that Kawamori finally sold out.  I can only hope that this won't turn out to be the beginning of a similar trend to Sunrise's decision to abandon all pretense and turn Gundam into a thinly veiled gunpla commercial or CBS selling out Star Trek's central themes in the name of trying to be Game of Space Thrones.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would be okay with turning macross into a thinly veiled DX commercial :) 

The idol stuff in delta didn't appeal to me though I am a big Sheryl & Ranka fan haha

Fingers crossed we will get a decent series next year!

Edited by spacemanoeuvres
wrods

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will say that while I still keep Frontier's soundtracks on hand to listen to frequently, I've never felt the need to go search for anything from Delta for my playlists.  There's some good stuff in there, but the music feels a lot more generic, and not as well keyed into the events on-screen.  If anything, I think Frontier's soundtrack had just as many memorable instrumental pieces as it did vocals, and I can't honestly say I remember any such tracks during Delta.

Still love the valk designs, and that probably won't change, but I'm really just curious to see where the franchise goes now.  The fact that Delta's idols are still overshadowed by Sheryl and Ranka merchandise speaks volumes to how mediocre the characters were.  (There's also the thing that it's probably a lot easier to sell people on pairs of figures, rather than groups of five of them.)

If anything, they need a second Delta series to give Walkure even half the depth Sheryl and Ranka have had for almost a decade at this point.

Edited by Chronocidal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

If anything, they need a second Delta series to give Walkure even half the depth Sheryl and Ranka have had for almost a decade at this point.

 

Well. That’s probably what we’re gonna get..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

If anything, they need a second Delta series to give Walkure even half the depth Sheryl and Ranka have had for almost a decade at this point.

If they didn’t waste the 2nd half of the series, they could have done it in 1 series. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

If anything, I think Frontier's soundtrack had just as many memorable instrumental pieces as it did vocals, and I can't honestly say I remember any such tracks during Delta.

I too feel bad for anyone having to follow Yoko Kanno.

7 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

If anything, they need a second Delta series to give Walkure even half the depth Sheryl and Ranka have had for almost a decade at this point.

I feel like a second season COULD do exactly that... if only the first season didn't exist. The execution of that first season is just so bad that it poisons absolutely everything and everyone involved in it. Pretending the first one never happened and starting from scratch seems like the only way to salvage these characters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Given Walkure's continuing popularity, I suspect the new TV series may have been deliberately postponed in order to keep focus on Walkure.

Perhaps we'll get more news about the new TV series after release of the second Delta movie?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it's more likely that the announced new series was always intended to be a Delta sequel, but it has now for whatever reason been turned into a movie instead. The very short time between Delta and the announced project says to me that they wanted to reuse as much production assets as possible.

I hope I'm wrong though and that we will get a new series as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Karaoke Ninja said:

I welcome more Walkure.

HERE YOU GO....

with the vf-31 valks flying in....:D

Edited by seti88

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Lorindor said:

I think it's more likely that the announced new series was always intended to be a Delta sequel, but it has now for whatever reason been turned into a movie instead. The very short time between Delta and the announced project says to me that they wanted to reuse as much production assets as possible.

I hope I'm wrong though and that we will get a new series as well.

Yeah I believe this too. :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Lorindor said:

I think it's more likely that the announced new series was always intended to be a Delta sequel, but it has now for whatever reason been turned into a movie instead. The very short time between Delta and the announced project says to me that they wanted to reuse as much production assets as possible.

As much as Kawamori supposedly dislikes the idea of direct sequels, I doubt that the new series was supposed to be a Delta sequel.  He's stuck to his guns on the sequel thing for 30+ years now, I can't see him backing down from that anytime soon.

I suspect it's taking a backseat to a new Delta movie because they didn't anticipate Walkure would be as popular as it is, and are looking to strike while the iron is hot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

As much as Kawamori supposedly dislikes the idea of direct sequels, I doubt that the new series was supposed to be a Delta sequel.  He's stuck to his guns on the sequel thing for 30+ years now, I can't see him backing down from that anytime soon.

I suspect it's taking a backseat to a new Delta movie because they didn't anticipate Walkure would be as popular as it is, and are looking to strike while the iron is hot.

Hopefully with the money they make from this and the continuing tours they'll hire better staff for the next series.

Honestly I'm not against another Delta movie, heck a third if they show a little improvement in the writing and we get a few more new songs. After this second one though let's get to work on the actual series please. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/26/2018 at 8:32 PM, kajnrig said:

I too feel bad for anyone having to follow Yoko Kanno.

For real. Her work in Plus and Frontier really helps contribute to those series as good as they are. And hearing the Plus tracks in 7 was nice, as well.

Speaking of 7, I finally finished watching it, and I have to say that overall I enjoyed it, even with its flaws. This makes Delta the only Macross I haven’t seen, and based on the comments here, I don’t know if I’m up for it. If any new series veers back towards the approach of older installments (though preferably without the primitive tribal aspects of Dynamite and Zero), I’d be very interested.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, ScrambledValkyrie said:

This makes Delta the only Macross I haven’t seen, and based on the comments here, I don’t know if I’m up for it.

Despite its flaws it still has some great moments, and is ultimately entertaining. It's worth a watch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You should always watch something so you can judge for yourself if you like it or not. My friends told me not to watch 7 but i did anyway. I ended up enjoying it a lot even though it has some problems.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, RDX17 said:

Despite its flaws it still has some great moments, and is ultimately entertaining. It's worth a watch.

Episodes 1-13 and 25-26 of Delta are kinda decent.

You can just skip episodes 14-24 if (a) you like seeing mecha and (b) you dislike characters behaving stupidly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...