Jump to content
Tochiro

New Macross TV Series in '19?.. 2020?.. 2021?...2022(one of those years)

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, TrickyCustomer said:

I remember hearing something similar  about that on the speakerpodcast. I really loved Dilandau's red alseides guymelef.

The name alone is arguably an early spoiler of Dilandau's true nature... Alseids (Greek: Alseides) are a type of nymph, an exclusively female Greek nature spirit/minor deity.

 

Quote

I would love to see that head design transfered over to macross in some form of valkyrie design... Or enemy mecha. 

It is a bit reminiscent of the Sv-51's head.

 

1 hour ago, seti88 said:

I suppose having a range of female forms would help female audiences identify with themselves or friends in a group setting. 

Call me a cynic if you must, but I'm pretty sure it had more to do with covering a list of standard character-based fetishes.

 

Quote

Your flat character comment in the end made me chuckle a bit tho, since we were discussing makina... 

... there is some powerful irony there.  That the bustiest character is also, by dint of having the least character development, technically the flattest of the show's flat stock characters.

It's unusual enough having obviously flat characters in a Macross series.  The franchise's creators normally do an excellent job developing the cast of any given story.  Having flat characters be the majority of the show's main characters was just an unforgivable screwup on the part of the writers.  Who makes a show about idol singers and then only gives character development to one of five of them?  Honestly.  Ranka was semi-perpetually out of focus in Macross Frontier and even she got a LOT more character development than plot-critical Mikumo Guynemer.  Makina's so bad off that of the lot, hers is the only bio that's purely informed ability.  We see Reina hack things (badly), we see Kaname lead the group, we see Mikumo being The Ace, and we see Freyja being the rookie... but Makina is never actually shown being the ship's head mechanic despite that the assertion that she actually is taking up fairly half her official bio.

They definitely gotta get on the ball with writing in the next series.  You can't build a show around main characters who get less development and screen time than nameless background cast members.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well if you have a singing group/band, the tendency would normally be for 1 or 2 members to stand out, evident in real life. 

Tho to the writers credit, I thk they did try to throw some curveballs, like the same sex romance angle between makina and reina?

But In the end, number of unexplored premises and waffling scenes did hamper character development,with initial character potential not fully realised.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, seti88 said:

Well if you have a singing group/band, the tendency would normally be for 1 or 2 members to stand out, evident in real life. 

Granted, it's not unusual for one or two members or an idol group to stand out in a performance environment... but it's not like the ones who don't just disappear into thin air between shows.

Walkure are supposed to be Macross Delta's main characters, and the only one of them who was anything like a fully-realized character was Freyja.  Mikumo was the group's star, and they didn't bother to give her any character development until she became a Macguffin three episodes or so from the end.  Kaname was the group's leader, and the only development she got was when her love interest creepy antisocial stalker died suddenly and messily.  Makina and Reina are a bit less glaring, I suppose, but it's still rather bizarre for a main character to get less development than a recurring background character.

Having an idol group and only actually using one, maybe one and a half members of the group is pretty wasteful, no?

 

11 minutes ago, seti88 said:

Tho to the writers credit, I thk they did try to throw some curveballs, like the same sex romance angle between makina and reina?

That wasn't so much a curveball so much as a pitch so straight you could use it to calibrate lasers.

Seriously, an anime series with a large satellite group of nominally school-aged young women who are utterly uninvolved in the main romance subplot?  Regardless of whether it's played for comedy or fetish appeal, it's practically mandatory to have either a lesbian couple or at least a lesbian one-sided crush going on.  So much so it's almost a required trope for magical girl or idol series, and it seems safe to say Macross Delta has a foot in both camps there.  Macross has done this before... Nanase Matsura, Ranka's gag boob-owning bestie, had such a painfully obvious crush on Ranka it was only missed by Luca.

What was less predictable was the apparent unrequited gay love triangle between Keith, Roid, and Messer.  A certain amount of ho yay was only to be expected with a cast full of prettyboys who fill the standard table of reverse harem character classes, but not playing it for laughs was a surprise since it's almost never not outside of that kind of story.  Keith did more to eulogize Messer in less than a minute than a whole episode of the main cast, complete with a "how dare you stand where he stood" caused by Hayate taking up Messer's VF-31F and threatening to kill a teammate who badmouthed him.

 

 

11 minutes ago, seti88 said:

But In the end, number of unexplored premises and waffling scenes did hamper character development,with initial character potential not fully realised.

We definitely need a more focused story in the next series.  "Show, don't tell" needs to be a bit more of a hard rule too.

Macross Delta seems to be leaning in the direction that the Vindirance-Latence conflict in 2050-2051 was a Second Unification War, at least in its novelization.  It'll be interesting to see what they come up with for antagonists in the future, since the anti-government forces left are predominantly Earth supremacist remnants like Fasces, the Zentradi are a thing that can be managed, the Vajra hive at the galactic core is gone, and Windermere's bottled up and hamstrung so badly they'll probably be down to just harsh language and postwar reserve weaponry in five years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Macross has done this before... Nanase Matsura, Ranka's gag boob-owning bestie, had such a painfully obvious crush on Ranka it was only missed by Luca.

This statement continues to throw me for a loop. I've never understood them to be anything other than really good friends. Then again I never paid much attention to Nanase as a character; she filled a needed role in the story and that seems to be about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kajnrig said:

This statement continues to throw me for a loop. I've never understood them to be anything other than really good friends.

They never took it to the level of Nina Einstein's crush on Princess Euphemia in Code Geass's first season1... but Nanase wasn't exactly hiding it either.  Like in Ep8 of Macross Frontier when Ranka has her first day at Mihoshi Academy, when Ranka holds her hand Nanase's expression leaves no doubt that she's enjoying herself far, FAR more than if it were just a platonic friendship.

 

Spoiler

1. Which crossed the line from cute crush to creepy celebrity-obsessed stalker so fast the repercussions literally took Tokyo and Pendragon clean off the map, complete with that notorious and shockingly blatant scene of Nina getting herself off to pictures of Euphemia in a magazine.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ooo. Maybe they’ll be radical and include a potential same-sex pairing in the new series’s main love triangle. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, SMS007 said:

Ooo. Maybe they’ll be radical and include a potential same-sex pairing in the new series’s main love triangle. 

We've had a fair few implied love triangles with at least one same-sex side in the last few shows, it wouldn't surprise me.

Macross 7 had that one episode with the tabloid journalist trying to get the Gamlin x Basara shippers going.

Macross Frontier had the Nanase's crush on Ranka and Ranka's borderline crush on Sheryl, a preemptively resolved Cathy-Ozma-Bobby love triangle, and what could've been implied as an Alto-Michael-Klan love triangle since the origin of Alto's nickname was later established to be that Michael had actually hit on Alto when Alto first joined Mihoshi Academy as a performing arts student (and was, at the time, dressed as a girl for a theater performance).

Then, of course, Macross Delta had a rather more than implied Messer-Keith-Roid love triangle.

Spoiler

Which is fine, because prior to the reveal that Messer was [carrying a torch for/stalking] Kaname, the only character who he ever had any kind of emotive response to was Chuck's younger brother Zack... which is rife with unfortunate implications.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Eh, implications and one-sided pining are all that there ever seem to be, sadly. The most blatant they ever got about it was Makina and Reina, but even then they hardly depicted them being any more intimate close friends might be. Alto and Sheryl downright fraked, and that was while the bounds of their triangle were still somewhat murky. I suspect that Macross will never openly endorse/depict an LGBTQ couple for fear of upsetting Japanese social customs. They'll need to delegate that to the next Revolutionary Girl Utena or something.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dunno. That scene where Reina caressed Makina’s breast and teased her nipple so that Makina sighed went way, way beyond what any friendship between women I’ve witnessed would allow or deem appropriate unless they were, indeed, into each other. Unless Japanese girls are that different and more accepting of that kind of casual-yet-intimate touching. 

As for homosexuals in Japan, they’ve been around and in their literature for centuries. It’s not that they're accepted or not, but tolerated and pretty much left alone... unless it’s a yaoi or a yuri thing that needs selling. 

Edited by Sildani

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, kajnrig said:

Eh, implications and one-sided pining are all that there ever seem to be, sadly. The most blatant they ever got about it was Makina and Reina, but even then they hardly depicted them being any more intimate close friends might be.

... surely you jest.

Never mind that Reina is shown feeling Makina up on at least one occasion, she's got a line in that jellyfish festival episode (9, IIRC?) that's pretty much a straightforward declaration that it's a night for getting laid and she's gonna get some.

Now, I don't know what cultural norms are like on Zola (Reina's homeworld) or Ragna, but that's generally in "more than just a warm friendship" territory here on Earth.  

 

21 hours ago, kajnrig said:

I suspect that Macross will never openly endorse/depict an LGBTQ couple for fear of upsetting Japanese social customs. They'll need to delegate that to the next Revolutionary Girl Utena or something.

Japan's nowhere near as uptight about that kind of thing as America is.  Homosexuality was more or less an accepted, and to a certain extent romanticized, cultural practice until the Meiji era and influx of western cultural values in the early 20th century.  Some of Japan's most storied and romanticized historical figures were involved in socially-accepted homosexual relationships, and popular fiction in the country hasn't exactly swept that under the rug either.  

(Kawamori's Nobunaga the Fool even cold-opens on the incident at Honnou-ji, where Nobunaga and his attendant/lover Ranmaru die together... setting up the reincarnation romance plot that pervaded the series proper on no uncertain terms that Nobunaga and Ranmaru were lovers.1)

They don't have quite the same obstacles to showing a homosexual couple that we have in America, where even progressive franchises like Star Trek spent decades flip-flopping on whether or not they were going to have a gay romance at any point.3

 

4 hours ago, Sildani said:

Unless Japanese girls are that different and more accepting of that kind of casual-yet-intimate touching. 

Not that I've seen.  Japan and China both have some pretty aggressive ideas about personal space, and that kind of touching wouldn't be done casually... and especially not in front of others.

 

 

1. Mind you, Kawamori's particular anachronism stew establishes that Ranmaru Mori was a reincarnation of Jeanne d'Arc, so it's more like a bi reincarnation romance where Jeanne/Ranmaru/Jeanne's2 gender is a revolving door while Nobunaga stays male consistently.
2. This gets a bit confusing to explain... Jeanne d'Arc is reincarnated centuries later as Ranmaru Mori, then dies and is reincarnated again as Jeanne Kaguya d'Arc who adopts the alias Ranmaru Mori while dressing and living as a man in the household of Nobunaga Oda's reincarnation.
3. Star Trek first alluded to it, ironically, in an attempt by Gene Roddenberry to shoot down Kirk x Spock shippers in the novelization of Star Trek: the Motion Picture.  Star Trek: the Next Generation's attempt to tackle it in "The Outcast" was shot down by casting over the objections of Frakes and others.  Deep Space Nine toyed with the idea of Garak being gay and attracted to Bashir, but ultimately abandoned it and only touched on it via a taboo reincarnation romance in "Rejoined" (the reincarnation part is taboo, not the homosexuality).  Voyager didn't touch it.  Star Trek: First Contact was going to introduce an openly gay man as a bridge crew member (Lt. Hawk) but the writers ultimately ended up having to kill him off after being assimilated by the Borg.  Enterprise's armory officer Malcolm Reed was supposed to be gay but the network backed down from that too.  It wasn't until Discovery that they finally worked up the courage to do it, and they promptly killed off one half of the show's token gay couple in the mother of all mixed messages.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Not that I've seen.  Japan and China both have some pretty aggressive ideas about personal space, and that kind of touching wouldn't be done casually... and especially not in front of others.

Wong again. Seen? Seen where? In person? On TV? While you visited or lived in Japan? It happens behind closed doors in front of other girls and women (onsen), and in front of others from time to time as well. It depends on the group of girls or women. It has happened in front of me a few times, the first two times it was jaw-drapping, then it was just something some people do. Even drunk JP guys get too touchy with guys sometimes, your blocking form needs to be quick.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Sildani said:

Dunno. That scene where Reina caressed Makina’s breast and teased her nipple so that Makina sighed went way, way beyond what any friendship between women I’ve witnessed would allow or deem appropriate unless they were, indeed, into each other. Unless Japanese girls are that different and more accepting of that kind of casual-yet-intimate touching. 

Ah, yeah, I must have forgotten about scenes like that. I suspected as much even while writing that post. :lol:

37 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Japan's nowhere near as uptight about that kind of thing as America is.  Homosexuality was more or less an accepted, and to a certain extent romanticized, cultural practice until the Meiji era and influx of western cultural values in the early 20th century.  Some of Japan's most storied and romanticized historical figures were involved in socially-accepted homosexual relationships, and popular fiction in the country hasn't exactly swept that under the rug either.  

Be that as it may, Japanese popular media (or at least that which I see) still skirts around the issue, pushing homosexuality to the background in favor of developing heterosexual relationships. Ranka obviously got hot and bothered by Sheryl, but they always portray Alto as her ultimate romantic goal. Bobby has the biggest crush on Ozma and Nanase on Ranka, but those are never deemed "worth" devoting any significant runtime to exploring. More happened with the freaking May-December romance, and the franchise was more willing to endorse borderline pedophilia and incest than two people of the same gender, age, and social groups acting on their attraction to each other. Even Reina and Makina's relationship doesn't really get any development beyond "it exists." As far back as Cardcaptor Sakura (and I'm sure earlier than that as well), Tomoyo Daidouji's obvious romantic interest in Sakura and the ho yay between Touya and Yuki/Yue is never treated as being romantically "legitimate." They end the series with Tomoyo saying she's happy and content if the one she loves is happy, which is... fine... but it FEELS like such a cop-out.

Japan may not be "stuffy" about it like America is, but it's like... homosexuality can't move beyond being a fetish. Like Japanese pop culture is saying, "You can have heterosexual and homosexual attractions, buy you can only have heterosexual romances."

I'm being hyperbolic, of course, but I don't think by much. Growing up with what I think is similarly esoteric cultural practices, I think I'm at least mildly accurate about the state of Japanese sexual politics.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Save said:

Seen? Seen where? In person? On TV? While you visited or lived in Japan? It happens behind closed doors in front of other girls and women (onsen), and in front of others from time to time as well. It depends on the group of girls or women. It has happened in front of me a few times, the first two times it was jaw-drapping, then it was just something some people do. Even drunk JP guys get too touchy with guys sometimes, your blocking form needs to be quick.

I've worked fairly closely with several Japanese suppliers since 2012, and I honestly don't recall ever having seen anything like that in a public setting on the occasions I visited Japan on business.  That kind of thing was only ever a fixture of office gossip, usually involving some coworker who's gone to the pub and gotten sexually harassed by a [friend/lover/colleague/stranger] who'd gotten so pickled they could probably breathe fire... not as a welcome thing.

 

 

20 minutes ago, kajnrig said:

Be that as it may, Japanese popular media (or at least that which I see) still skirts around the issue, pushing homosexuality to the background in favor of developing heterosexual relationships.

Depends what you're reading/watching, but yeah... in general you'll see romances focusing on the majority (heterosexual) appeal.  There have been a few works that've been fairly prominent about homosexual characters, though that's a mixed bag.  It's definitely the case that there are far more prominent stories about lesbian romances than gay ones, probably because the appeal of that is a good deal broader.

Macross has never been especially shy about pushing anvilicious Aesops though, and has been big about "love conquers all", so I wouldn't be entirely surprised if the franchise eventually took a stab at a homosexual romance plot, even if it had to do it in a manga or light novel.  (Bobby Margot's popularity on Macross Frontier seems to have at least opened the door for more regular inclusion of gay characters, like Macross R's Anri Mahlberg or Macross Delta's implied Messer-Keith-Roid triangle.)

 

20 minutes ago, kajnrig said:

Ranka obviously got hot and bothered by Sheryl, but they always portray Alto as her ultimate romantic goal. Bobby has the biggest crush on Ozma and Nanase on Ranka, but those are never deemed "worth" devoting any significant runtime to exploring.

Ranka did mistake Alto for a girl when they first met... maybe that's part of the appeal for her?

(Come to that, Michael also mistook Alto for a girl when they first met... and he's been calling him "princess" ever since.  Michael's case is at least more understandable since Alto was dressed as a girl at the time, IIRC.)

 

20 minutes ago, kajnrig said:

Even Reina and Makina's relationship doesn't really get any development beyond "it exists."

Arguably because Makina and Reina's involvement in the actual series barely progresses beyond the level of "they exist"... and about half of the minimal characterization they get is devoted to ensuring nobody misses that they're a lesbian couple.

 

20 minutes ago, kajnrig said:

Japan may not be "stuffy" about it like America is, but it's like... homosexuality can't move beyond being a fetish. Like Japanese pop culture is saying, "You can have heterosexual and homosexual attractions, buy you can only have heterosexual romances."

I'm not sure it's necessarily that the entertainment industry there is unwilling to move beyond it as a fetish as much as it is that there's not really the same kind of hue and cry for representation that the west has in its media lately.  Yuri media has a decent-sized following, though part of that might be a broader appeal because, to guys, "girl on girl is hot" even if it's a serious romance where guy on guy has a more limited audience.

(Of those I've seen, I confess I'm not sure which was stranger... the titular character of Miyuki-chan in Wonderland being so deep in the closet she's finding Christmas presents, or One Piece's surreal, Rocky Horror-inspired stab at a transgender character.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/26/2018 at 1:37 PM, Seto Kaiba said:

I've worked fairly closely with several Japanese suppliers since 2012, and I honestly don't recall ever having seen anything like that in a public setting on the occasions I visited Japan on business.  That kind of thing was only ever a fixture of office gossip, usually involving some coworker who's gone to the pub and gotten sexually harassed by a [friend/lover/colleague/stranger] who'd gotten so pickled they could probably breathe fire... not as a welcome thing.

 

It's not likely you will see this in a work or professional business environment, but I assure you this happens.

My wife's Japanese, and when we were dating, I would frequently see her and her friends grabbing each other's titties.  Pretty sure I even have a few pics of this somewhere.  

Anyway, I asked her about this, with hopes that it would lead to a three or foursome with her friends, but alas, they were not lesbians or even remotely bisexual.  

Grabbing a boob or fondling/tickling a nipple is not out of the norm between Japanese females.  At the same time, it does not indicate that they prefer to munch the carpet.

 

 

Edited by peter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This thread has become a lot more educational recently... me gusta.

Edited by Gerli

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So no new updates yet?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

So no new updates yet?

Nothing yet, AFAIK.

If the production of the new series is running on a similar timetable to what was done for Macross Frontier and Macross Delta, we probably won't see any real news until September or October, with the reveal of the new show's title and the first teaser trailer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

But wasn't the show supposed to debut this year? Title and trailer reveal in the fall would suggest it's an early 2019 anime at the earliest...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, kajnrig said:

But wasn't the show supposed to debut this year? Title and trailer reveal in the fall would suggest it's an early 2019 anime at the earliest...

That's what the topic post says, yeah... possibly the same technicality is in play that was used in the cases of Macross Frontier and Macross Delta, where a cut-down promo/teaser version of its first episode gets aired in the last week or so of December before the series proper starts airing the first week in April of the following year.

For Macross Frontier, the "Deculture Edition" of the first episode was the only part of the series that aired in 2007 (on December 23rd and 28th).  The series proper didn't start airing until 3 April 2008.

For Macross Delta, the Mission 0.89 cut of the first episode was the only part of the series to air in 2015 (on December 31st no less).  The series proper started airing 3 April 2016.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Seto Kaiba said:

That's what the topic post says, yeah... possibly the same technicality is in play that was used in the cases of Macross Frontier and Macross Delta, where a cut-down promo/teaser version of its first episode gets aired in the last week or so of December before the series proper starts airing the first week in April of the following year.

For Macross Frontier, the "Deculture Edition" of the first episode was the only part of the series that aired in 2007 (on December 23rd and 28th).  The series proper didn't start airing until 3 April 2008.

For Macross Delta, the Mission 0.89 cut of the first episode was the only part of the series to air in 2015 (on December 31st no less).  The series proper started airing 3 April 2016.

So basically we'll get the teaser episode in December and the series proper in the spring season of the following year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Focslain said:

So basically we'll get the teaser episode in December and the series proper in the spring season of the following year.

IF they're following the same release cadence as the last two shows, yeah.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did they hold a new contest for a singer like they've done in the past? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/4/2018 at 11:17 AM, Seto Kaiba said:

As we've established on a few previous occasions, you're rather atypical as Macross fans go.

For most, the ancient Protoculture's role as a race of vanished precursors who shaped the sentient races of the galaxy in their own image is reason enough.  The facts of their lives are less important to the story than the impact of their legacy.

 

Putting aside for a moment that the Halo novels are some of the worst-written science fiction ever committed to print, prominently featuring the Protoculture in a series dedicated to them would suck all the mystery and allure out of them.  Like the various races of vanished precursors in other sci-fi properties, much of their allure is that what little is known about them comes from painstaking study of what they left behind.  Once they're featured prominently as living people they're no longer mysterious... and in a lot of stories, they end up being thoroughly unlikeable, like the Forerunners in the Halo "Forerunner Saga".

The PC draw from the Ancient Astronuat theory and a series or movie fleshing out their activities could be made, so long as it is done right.  With Prequels currently in vogue, it is a dangerous thing to give away TOO much about them without neutering their affect on the mythos (mitichlorians anyone?).  Getting some revealing tidbits about them to ADD to the mythos would be fun.  It has been done well before.  Doing a full blowing "The Detailed History of the Protoculture in 12 Leather Bound Volumes" just hobbles future creativity and is simply not necessary.

Edited by Zinjo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Sandman said:

Only 5 months left in 2018. No new info on this yet?

As noted previously, it would appear that this latest Macross production is likely operating on similar production timing to what was used for Macross Frontier and Macross Delta.  

If that is in fact the case, we shouldn't expect to hear anything of significance until mid-September at the earliest.  The last two times it was a title reveal in September, followed by the first trailer in late October, and then the cut-down teaser edition of the first episode airing in the last week or so of December.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

As noted previously, it would appear that this latest Macross production is likely operating on similar production timing to what was used for Macross Frontier and Macross Delta.  

If that is in fact the case, we shouldn't expect to hear anything of significance until mid-September at the earliest.  The last two times it was a title reveal in September, followed by the first trailer in late October, and then the cut-down teaser edition of the first episode airing in the last week or so of December.

With Shoji Kawamori slated to do a panel at Otakon, what are the chances we might get an announcement there? Or might it be better to place money on after he returns from the states?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll just for the released subs

Nice one site has a dubbed Macross

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Focslain said:

With Shoji Kawamori slated to do a panel at Otakon, what are the chances we might get an announcement there? Or might it be better to place money on after he returns from the states?

Somewhere between "vanishingly small" and "zero", I reckon.  With Macross releases still effectively blocked from regular distribution channels in the US by You-Know-Who through at least mid-March in 2021, there's nothing for them to gain by unveiling the series in a market they can't legally distribute that series in and where the fandom isn't all that big.  (To say nothing of doing so at a convention that takes place on the opposite side of the country from the biggest concentration of Macross fans.)

Smart money says they'll do the big reveal in Japan, to the home market crowd.  I'd love nothing better than to be wrong about that though.

Like Delta, our path to legitimate access is going to be the Blu-ray release when it comes out three months or so after the series airs in Japan.  Hopefully sales of the English-subbed DVD/BD Macross Delta and Macross Delta: Passionate Walkure are strong enough that the new series will follow suit and include official subs.  Otherwise, we're stuck with fansubs.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am calling it right now; there will be Zentradi archivist character a la Exedol Folmo introduced in this series with important background information about an incident that occurred 8 or so years ago before Delta.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Podtastic said:

Don't care anymore after Delta.

Lol, I didn't even watch Delta, should I waste my time?

ETA:  Never mind, just read the wiki summary and I think I understand why there seems to be fewer and fewer Macross fans nowadays.  

Edited by peter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe this series will include a Windermerian secondary character to show how the people of the N.U.N. distrust their kind after their government’s attempt at galactic conquest. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Podtastic said:

Don't care anymore after Delta.

No offense, but from your remarks elsewhere it's pretty clear you didn't care before... about any title after maybe DYRL?

 

3 hours ago, peter said:

ETA:  Never mind, just read the wiki summary and I think I understand why there seems to be fewer and fewer Macross fans nowadays.  

Nah, Macross Delta doesn't seem to have done any harm to the Macross fandom.  The movie Passionate Walkure reportedly did quite well in Japan recently.  It's slow here because forums are kind of on the decline as an online social environment while Facebook groups are on the rise, and this site's kind of Delta-hostile thanks to so many older fans who were opposed to the series on principle because it was basically the second coming of Macross 7.

 

 

3 hours ago, SMS007 said:

Maybe this series will include a Windermerian secondary character to show how the people of the N.U.N. distrust their kind after their government’s attempt at galactic conquest. 

I'd be surprised if it did.  Past performance, Kawamori tends to set new series in new locales with the minimum necessary references to past shows.

Future novels... hell yes, we'll almost certainly see Windermereans who've emigrated away from Windermere facing suspicion (if not racism) for their homeworld's hostility towards the New UN Government.  'course they did kinda worry that bone quite a bit in Delta itself with the suspicion towards Freyja.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...