New Macross TV Series in 20xx (sometime this decade)

Tochiro

10 minutes ago, Bolt said:

Lets hope the current writers for the new series are on it!

Hopefully they'll tell us who's writing the new series at some point in the next few months so we can calibrate our expectations appropriately.

Macross tones it down, but Frontier did have that scene where Sheryl and Alto were in a locker and she was getting aroused by his vibrating cell phone...

Still, far better than Evangelion’s full off-screen sex scene that dang hear got them banned from Japanese TV. 

6 hours ago, Sildani said:

Macross tones it down, but Frontier did have that scene where Sheryl and Alto were in a locker and she was getting aroused by his vibrating cell phone...

Still, far better than Evangelion’s full off-screen sex scene that dang hear got them banned from Japanese TV. 

That and the scene where she charges around the school in an Ex-Gear after her stolen panties.

On 8/14/2018 at 1:09 PM, Bolt said:

Do we know if SK San is directing ?

if not , my vote is

Shinichirō Watanabe !

Is Shinichi Watanabe an acceptable substitute for Shinichiro? :p 

(It's a safe bet Kawamori-san will be in his usual "overall director" supervisory role, while the regular unit direction will be done by other directors.)

8 hours ago, Sildani said:

Still, it's rather telling that that felt jarring and out of place and it was the only incident of its kind... well, unless you count Luca's earlier imagine spot involving dominatrix Sheryl and slave Alto. :lol:

1 hour ago, Sanity is Optional said:

That and the scene where she charges around the school in an Ex-Gear after her stolen panties.

There wasn't really any fanservice going on there, though... that was played for pure comedy and a bit of fan disservice with her homicidal expression in that EX-Gear.

6 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Is Shinichi Watanabe an acceptable substitute for Shinichiro? :p 

YES

is that even a question

6 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

There wasn't really any fanservice going on there, though... that was played for pure comedy and a bit of fan disservice with her homicidal expression in that EX-Gear.

Anytime something like this comes up, I always fall back on an apropos Zero Punctuation quote:

Talk about it being "ironic" all you want, but that doesn't change the fact that someone's rubbing themselves off to it even as we speak.

A part of me still thinks that we're getting more Delta. There still more to be milked from Walkure's popularity so I'd be surprised if we switched to another musical "product"

Of course we have the precedent of Plus and Seven overlapping so it wouldn't be the first time. Just hope that if it's Delta part Deux that they hire a competent screenwriter with a strong say in the plot and direction of the story.

On ‎7‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 1:58 PM, cjcastan said:

Me too! I thought frontier was incredible. I am an oldtaku who was introduced to the franchise by the robotech. 

Delta personally wasn’t my favorite. Not because of walkure (which took some getting acclimated to) but because the story completely slammed on the brakes after the 1st cour. I mean we had a whole talking head exposition episode.

hope springs eternal, so I do look forward to the next installment, happy it isn’t 8+ years between iterations like it has been in the past.

Oldtaku!!! That is brilliant! Can we all completely steal that phrase? I think it really sums up the Western Macross fanbase (and most Western Anime fans in general).

35 minutes ago, MaxFan2112 said:

Oldtaku!!! That is brilliant! Can we all completely steal that phrase? I think it really sums up the Western Macross fanbase (and most Western Anime fans in general).

Oh, that term's old... back when Macross Delta started airing, it quickly became shorthand for the fans voicing the less-than-legitimate criticisms of Macross Delta over aspects of the series that'd been part of the Macross setting for years if not decades.

It certainly trips off the tongue better than my dubbing them The Ambassadors of Unhappy.

(That isn't to say there wasn't a lot of entirely legitimate criticism of the show going on, mind you...)

On 8/17/2018 at 8:13 AM, MaxFan2112 said:

Reminds me of those old usenet posts from the 90's decrying Sailor Moon for foreshadowing the End of Anime™. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

I never had any problem with Walkure, or the magical girl aspect of Delta. I actually really enjoyed  episodes 1 -13.

My main issue, besides how stupid and incompatent some of the characters behaved, is that we got absolutely no VF action from episodes 14 to  24.

It's like, I dunno, Kawamori got up and walked away from the show (lure of  easy Chinese money, wasn't it), leaving it the hands of a director with no experience of mecha anime.........LOL

3 hours ago, AN/ALQ128 said:

Reminds me of those old usenet posts from the 90's decrying Sailor Moon for foreshadowing the End of Anime™. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

From my point of view it pretty much did foreshadow the end of anime.  I kinda like "Oldtaku", time to put that in my description of me.  

4 hours ago, Graham said:

My main issue, besides how stupid and incompatent some of the characters behaved, is that we got absolutely no VF action from episodes 14 to  24.

Which is due to a severe dip in character development and storytelling. 

6 hours ago, AN/ALQ128 said:

Yup... entirely too many fans in too many genres mistake "The End of the World as We Know It" for "The End of the World".  It's one of those reactions that's as old as fiction itself.

4 hours ago, Graham said:

Personally, I still think Kawamori  and Big West should make a formal apology for the second half of Delta. I wanna see them up on a stage bowing and grovelling and begging forgiveness.

Let's wait until the Macross Delta: Passionate Walkure Blu-ray drops to see if there's anything else they ought to be apologizing for.

5 hours ago, Graham said:

Personally, I still think Kawamori  and Big West should make a formal apology for the second half of Delta. I wanna see them up on a stage bowing and grovelling and begging forgiveness.

Their apology should be for everything they did after DYRL.

Edited by peter

Apologies are never gonna happen, y'all..

I can find something I like about EVERY Macross series and movie. Truly! And even if I'm not super stoked on certain features or projects, the mechs have been consistently awesome! 

The problem with those of us that harken back to DYRL is that it had awesome mecha action AND a great story. 

So did a few other Macross projects..IMO

But I applaud SK San's efforts to carry on, I would be bummed if there were NO further Macross stories to look forward to. 

And  maybe I'm being starry eyed , but I do believe the Macross story will eventually circle back round , as it occasionally hints at from time to time. Regardless of what's been said .

Nevertheless it doesn't hurt to keep your cards close to your chest. 

but if it doesn't , and just continues to throw out confusing dead end , tid bits, I'm sure we'll all live..

and continue to watch. 

37 minutes ago, Sanity is Optional said:

:o You take that back.  Plus and Frontier were great. 

Also Zero had awesome eye-candy. :unknw:

Agreed, especially about Frontier. 

I haven't yet seen 7 (planning to start correcting that next week) and also haven't seen Delta, but like @Bolt, there's something I can appreciate about every Macross series I've seen. (Even Macross II... :ph34r:)

5 minutes ago, ScrambledValkyrie said:

I haven't yet seen 7 (planning to start correcting that next week) and also haven't seen Delta, but like @Bolt, there's something I can appreciate about every Macross series I've seen. (Even Macross II... :ph34r:)

Word of advice for 7... take it in small doses.  The Macross 7 TV series takes a while to hit its stride, as the first twenty episodes are all character development and buildup for the start of the actual plot.  I would advise against marathoning it, since those episodes can get rather repetitive and if you watch more than one or two episodes a day the song "Planet Dance" quickly becomes The Most Annoying Sound.

Once it gets going though, it's quite a bit of fun... and I say that as someone who used to be one of the show's most strident critics.  It's kind of like Macross's answer to G Gundam, you'll enjoy it much more if you don't go into it expecting seriousness.

But yes, every Macross series has its virtues... some are just harder to see than others.  That's why a lot of folks here are hoping for a return to classic form for its more obvious virtues.

33 minutes ago, Bolt said:

The problem with those of us that harken back to DYRL is that it had awesome mecha action AND a great story.

Thinking back to my vague memories of DYRL, I remember being kind of bored by the whole Protoculture subplot that I think Hikaru and Misa go on. (I forget where, too... Earth? Mars? There were the ruins of another Zentraedi ship or something?) I've never really liked the Protoculture stuff in general, but that in particular brought down the movie for me. Don't remember much of the mecha action or the animation (both of which are fine if dated IIRC) except that it was remarkably graphic, but the Protoculture stuff stuck in my mind.

Which is all just a way of saying that even DYRL has its faults. None of the entries in the series are perfect

except Plus.

12 minutes ago, kajnrig said:

Thinking back to my vague memories of DYRL, I remember being kind of bored by the whole Protoculture subplot that I think Hikaru and Misa go on. (I forget where, too... Earth? Mars? There were the ruins of another Zentraedi ship or something?) I've never really liked the Protoculture stuff in general, but that in particular brought down the movie for me. Don't remember much of the mecha action or the animation (both of which are fine if dated IIRC) except that it was remarkably graphic, but the Protoculture stuff stuck in my mind.

Which is all just a way of saying that even DYRL has its faults. None of the entries in the series are perfect

except Plus.

Haah! That whole protoculture "sub plot" will come back to haunt you!

just watch the scene where max and Miira fight in DYRL. That's just one of the many bad ass mecha action scenes. And considering when it was made, DYRL is STILL killer animation!

I would never say it was flawless, but pretty close!

I loved Macross Pluss too and Zero. 

Seto is right . "Short, controlled bursts" (killing a horde of aliens style) when watching M7. I had to do it twice to love it. 

With all of the Macross content so far,  I would love the next story to cover something in between or on the side of an existing time line/story. 

5 minutes ago, Bolt said:

Seto is right . "Short, controlled bursts" (killing a horde of aliens style) when watching M7. I had to do it twice to love it. 

Same here... helped by the fact that, on my second go 'round, my Japanese was good enough that I could skip the godawful subs that I had watched it with the first time.  They were pretty terrible.  I'm glad the fansubs out there for it now are of substantially superior quality compared to that old mess.

(Gladder still that new shows are getting official subs...)

6 minutes ago, Bolt said:

With all of the Macross content so far,  I would love the next story to cover something in between or on the side of an existing time line/story. 

It'd be nice.  There seems to be some interest in Macross R still... I noticed they did some egg machines of the VFs from that.  That was a pretty incredible side story, IMO... with a shocking number of tie-ins to other shows, games, and stories.

10 hours ago, peter said:

Their apology should be for everything they did after DYRL.

I personally love Mac II, PLus, 7, Zero, Frontier and the first half of Delta.

The only show that has really disappointed me was the second half of Delta.

I am fine as long as we get a serious and believable story with enough mecha fights. I personally was very impressed with all the dog fights and space action in Frontier. I would like to get something like that again. I remember the adrenaline pumping through my veins as I was watching it.

Of course my main love is the original series but let's face it, that approach to anime in general is long gone, just like the Megaroad-01 is. We have to keep our minds open.

On 8/22/2018 at 10:33 AM, Sanity is Optional said:

:o You take that back.  Plus and Frontier were great. 

Also Zero had awesome eye-candy. :unknw:

Ok, I'll admit, I liked Plus....and I liked parts of Zero until it turned into Moana.

Frontier had too many characters that put me off of it, though some of the mecha stuff was acceptable.  

Like natto, I really tried to give 7 a chance.  I've watched it through twice now, and still hate it like little fermented beans that my wife likes so much with her rice.  Well, I've actually eaten natto around 10 times now, but my soul won't allow me to try 7 again.

I haven't watched D yet, but I have a feeling I will be getting the D if I do.

Compared to Frontier, Does anyone know how well Delta was received in Japan?

The Walküre , I imagine, was a massive hit, but what about the show?

im trying to glean what direction might now be taken based on how well Delta did or didn't do..

Although I still think the 35 Th anniversary is a great opportunity to do something in between ( like M the Ride..).

Delta's first half was pretty decent, I thought, though it was a bit similar to 7 in style.  If anything, the first few episodes boiled 7's long repetitive development phase down to the essentials so you didn't have to listen to the same songs 20 times before the plot began.  The sad part is, the writing just fell off a cliff as soon as the plot became serious, and everything stopped making sense.  Then it just became a near-literal clone of Frontier's plot, minus any intrigue about who the show's true villains actually were.

I know the audience really isn't there for it, but I've actually always wanted to see an abridged version of Macross 7.  Not necessarily a parody, because it's so silly to begin with, but just a condensing of the plot down to the essential elements, kind of a streamlining.  I almost feel like you could do an un-parodying of it, and turn the plot much more serious throughout, just by changing the pacing and dialogue.

16 hours ago, losun said:

I am fine as long as we get a serious and believable story with enough mecha fights. I personally was very impressed with all the dog fights and space action in Frontier. I would like to get something like that again. I remember the adrenaline pumping through my veins as I was watching it.

I love that the heroes in Frontier killed the villains. I hate that the villains in Δ got away with everything and kept their pitiful lives.

Oh yeah and it's dumb that 7 ended with the main villain keeping his stolen body.

18 minutes ago, SMS007 said:

I love that the heroes in Frontier killed the villains. I hate that the villains in Δ got away with everything and kept their pitiful lives.

Oh yeah and it's dumb that 7 ended with the main villain keeping his stolen body.

The main villain in Delta didn't live, he died in the last episode or if your referring to Windmere as a whole, they are going to die a slow death since the galaxy as a whole knows what they tried to do. 

4 minutes ago, SMS007 said:

Like I keep reminding you, neither of those things is strictly true.

In Macross Frontier, the main villains are cyborgs whose consciousness inhabits multiple bodies at a time... making it very difficult to assess if one is truly dead.  Grace "died" several times during in the TV series but Macross Galaxy itself got away, and several Galaxy executives were killed in the movie but there's no way to know if that was all of them or if it stuck... and Grace survived.  (Never mind implications that SMS's owner, Richard Bilra, was in on the conspiracy... and we know HE didn't die.)

In Macross Delta, both of the principal architects of Windermere's second war against the New UN Gov't were killed in the conflict.  King Grammier VI was killed in the invasion of Ragna in Ep13 and Chancellor Roid Brehm was killed by Keith in the final episode.  The only Aerial Knights who don't wind up dead are the ones inherently sympathetic to the New UN Government (Master Hermann, Theo and Xao Jussila, and Bogue Con-vaart).  Prince Heinz can't exactly be held accountable since he's all of nine years old and has just been manipulated as his father's puppet, then Roid's.  Then there's the economic and political ramifications of their actions I've outlined before... they're NOT going to have a good time after the war, even assuming the New UN Forces don't show up en masse and occupy their planet.

5 minutes ago, SMS007 said:

Considering Gepernich's true form is a something akin to a spiritia black hole, it was definitely the lesser of two evils.  Keeping the apocalyptic bioweapon sealed in a nice nonthreatening can is infinitely preferable to the alternative.

1 minute ago, Seto Kaiba said:

In Macross Delta, both of the principal architects of Windermere's second war against the New UN Gov't were killed in the conflict.  King Grammier VI was killed in the invasion of Ragna in Ep13 and Chancellor Roid Brehm was killed by Keith in the final episode.  The only Aerial Knights who don't wind up dead are the ones inherently sympathetic to the New UN Government (Master Hermann, Theo and Xao Jussila, and Bogue Con-vaart).  Prince Heinz can't exactly be held accountable since he's all of nine years old and has just been manipulated as his father's puppet, then Roid's.  Then there's the economic and political ramifications of their actions I've outlined before... they're NOT going to have a good time after the war, even assuming the New UN Forces don't show up en masse and occupy their planet.

Honestly I figured Roid maneuvered the king as well, especially considering what happened in ep 13.