New Macross TV Series in 20xx (sometime this decade)

Tochiro

4 hours ago, peter said:

Lol, I didn't even watch Delta, should I waste my time?

ETA:  Never mind, just read the wiki summary and I think I understand why there seems to be fewer and fewer Macross fans nowadays.  

The first half isn't bad, imo.

56 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Nah, Macross Delta doesn't seem to have done any harm to the Macross fandom.  The movie Passionate Walkure reportedly did quite well in Japan recently.  It's slow here because forums are kind of on the decline as an online social environment while Facebook groups are on the rise, and this site's kind of Delta-hostile thanks to so many older fans who were opposed to the series on principle because it was basically the second coming of Macross 7.

This is what really saddens me. Maybe it is a sign of me being in that right age bracket that utilized both forms of online social spaces. I am in the social networks but mostly as a matter of course and to keep up with people I know... but places like these forums, I grew up on this, I love this stuff. I know you are right that it's fading and has been, but I still would prefer it to stay.

To be on the topic a bit, I actually like Delta fine, but with the caveat that the second half is definitely broken in many ways. No need to go into it really, we all have before. I look forward to getting to see the movie since it supposedly did the story something better. Most importantly, nothing about Delta has soured my love of Macross and I eagerly anticipate whatever comes next.

3 hours ago, AN/ALQ128 said:

Ok, I'll give it a shot.  Sounds like I may need a bit of alcohol to get through it though, haha!  

Macross never really delved on political wars I guess, unless you count the video games so I guess this is pretty new for the fandom (as warring factions is usually something of Gundam while Macross is more of encountering a new race). Frontier did it, but it was more of a background thing.

The Delta Storyline could have handled it better. I guess some of the things that irked me it's like the Walkure aren't just idols, they are super idols. One of them is a top mechanic, the other a hacker. I guess they are understaffed I guess. I mean other than the delta flight. Xaos didn't have anything else it seems.

5 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

No offense, but from your remarks elsewhere it's pretty clear you didn't care before... about any title after maybe DYRL?

None taken. Those were the best but I did enjoy Macross 2, Zero and Macross Frontier. Very much enjoyed Frontier.

Simply put I'm a fan of alien invasion cycle sci-fi, so my interest increases or decreases to the extent that the aliens and the battles get focus. I get the impression that its now going to just be about idols with Valkyries thrown in. :(

4 hours ago, peter said:

Ok, I'll give it a shot.  Sounds like I may need a bit of alcohol to get through it though, haha!  

I'd put it like this, if you could get past Frontier and M7, Delta should be no problem. But it definitely takes a plunge in quality around episode 13 or so, which is the last episode I derived any excitement and enjoyment from.

12 hours ago, Master Dex said:

This is what really saddens me. Maybe it is a sign of me being in that right age bracket that utilized both forms of online social spaces. I am in the social networks but mostly as a matter of course and to keep up with people I know... but places like these forums, I grew up on this, I love this stuff. I know you are right that it's fading and has been, but I still would prefer it to stay.

It's a natural evolution of the online social concept... having a separate account for every group was rather clunky and cumbersome.  The current model means you have just one account that is portable across an enormous number of social environments.  It's less of a headache for the end user, if you discount the suspect use of personal data by Facebook itself.

12 hours ago, Master Dex said:

To be on the topic a bit, I actually like Delta fine, but with the caveat that the second half is definitely broken in many ways. No need to go into it really, we all have before. I look forward to getting to see the movie since it supposedly did the story something better. Most importantly, nothing about Delta has soured my love of Macross and I eagerly anticipate whatever comes next.

Honestly, I've tried to take a more positive outlook on Delta's ending.

Big West and Satelight have gotten Pretty Soldier Sailor Walkure out of their system and made a quick buck on the idol group before its members spun off the pursue their own solo careers.  Now they can focus on telling an actual story instead of on frantic promotion of an idol group, because they won't want to undermine their own achievement by attempting to launch another idol group hot on the heels of the previous one.

10 hours ago, peter said:

The first half is a satisfying and enjoyable series almost as good as Macross Frontier.  The second half is a such an unqualified disaster caused by a profound lack of exposition and a spectacularly lazy attempt to recycle Macross Frontier's second half that it feels like a punishment for enjoying the first half.

8 hours ago, Podtastic said:

I get the impression that its now going to just be about idols with Valkyries thrown in. :(

That was Walkure's schtick... one constant about Macross is that Kawamori never lets them do the same schtick twice in a row.

IIRC, he wanted to do something more alone the lines of animating Macross the Ride, a show with no idols that was about dueling airshow teams, but he got overruled.  Now the pendulum's due to swing the other way and hopefully give us something that's at least more balanced than Delta was.  Passionate Walkure isn't available on BD/DVD yet, but I'm inclined to suspect it's going to turn out to be Walkure's version of Interstella 5555.

6 hours ago, AN/ALQ128 said:

I'd put it like this, if you could get past Frontier and M7, Delta should be no problem. But it definitely takes a plunge in quality around episode 13 or so, which is the last episode I derived any excitement and enjoyment from.

When you put it that way, sounds like I need an entire bottle of Scotch.  I think I kind of know how Podtastic feels, except I hated M7 and only hated Frontier a little less, lol!

I'll still try to watch it though, and drink a lot before I start so I have an open mind ahead of time.  I managed to force myself to watch 7 in it's entirety, Frontier as well, so I should be able to power through Delta, especially if it's less shitty than 7.

Edited by peter

14 hours ago, AN/ALQ128 said:

The first episode/Pilot was different.

The first half afterwards contained episodes ranging from okay to good.

The second half was lost and confused.

Macross Delta = Star Wars The Last Jedi?

1 hour ago, Roy Focker said:

The first episode/Pilot was different.

The first half afterwards contained episodes ranging from okay to good.

The second half was lost and confused.

Macross Delta > Star Wars The Last Jedi

Delta was put together way better then TLJ, also at least for Delta you can just stop at ep 13 and be fine. TLJ makes you sit through it's garbage to get to the good parts. 

Edited by Focslain

20 hours ago, peter said:

Up to ep 13, Delta was quite watchable even tho there was still not enough mech action.

Although if you've liked Frontier, Delta is a bit of a let down.

Would suggest that you watch the first half unaided or with only moderate consumption.  Then before starting episode 14, it would be a nice time to have a break anyhow, get into the good stuff, start with some nice wines, then go for the hard liquors. get a few bottles, so it'll last through the remaining 5 hours or so.  Try a mixture of tequila, whiskey, vodka, old Bailey, etc.  Have a drink every time there is a scissor on the show (you'll know what I'm talking about after the first few episode) or if the combat action is indistinct because of the explosions followed by the points of purple and green lights representing the fighters.  Definitely have a drink whenever the full Zentradi who is reminiscent of Picolo from DBZis on screen.  Then at the end of Delta, you would have had a fine experience, and you'll remember fondly Macross Delta.

:p

Edited by kalvasflam

12 hours ago, Focslain said:

Macross Delta > Star Wars The Last Jedi

Delta was put together way better then TLJ, also at least for Delta you can just stop at ep 13 and be fine. TLJ makes you sit through it's garbage to get to the good parts. 

Completely agree, at least Delta still had excellent mecha designs, background art, and music to make up for the nosedive in writing quality.

TLJ was a dumpster fire in every way.

What?  you guys don't like Luke drinking purple titty milk?  How xenophobic....:rolleyes:

Yeah, I do have to agree though, outside of Reylo fighting the guards, the movie pretty much sucked.  Still glad Disney made a bunch of money though, because it's not like you can get it back.  Imagine if movies were based on payment for satisfaction, Hollywood would've died long ago... or came out with some really good stuff.

On 7/13/2018 at 11:51 AM, Roy Focker said:

Well, the Macross Delta series certainly brought out the toxic fans in the Macross fandom the way that The Last Jedi did for Star Wars.

There was SO MUCH B*TCHING about Walkure and how they operated, even though very little of what they were doing was in any way new to Macross and most of it had been part of the setting for over twenty years at that point.  Totally mirrored the Star Wars fans whinging themselves inside-out about Luke doing the same thing every other Jedi Master did in response to a new dark lord rising or Rey holding her own against said dark lord after one afternoon of verbal abuse from an old-of-practice hermet in the boonies.

Thankfully, the impact Macross Delta's hatedom had on Macross was a lot less than the impact The Last Jedi's hatedom had on Star Wars.

What?  you guys don't like Luke drinking purple titty milk?  How xenophobic....

All milk, though not purple, is "titty" milk when you come down to it...  (well maybe not that soy stuff but I don't consider that milk anyway).

As for the next show, I passed on Delta when I heard the fan reviews and that it was more like 7 then Frontier or SDFM.  I'm hoping this new shows goes in a different direction.  I may also watch Delta in a few years too depending on how licensing goes.

14 hours ago, Dynaman said:

What?  you guys don't like Luke drinking purple titty milk?  How xenophobic....

All milk, though not purple, is "titty" milk when you come down to it...  (well maybe not that soy stuff but I don't consider that milk anyway).

As for the next show, I passed on Delta when I heard the fan reviews and that it was more like 7 then Frontier or SDFM.  I'm hoping this new shows goes in a different direction.  I may also watch Delta in a few years too depending on how licensing goes.

Almond milk does come from Almond Titties though.

I wouldn't say Delta is like 7, I'd watch some of Delta again.

Edited by Mommar

On ‎2018‎/‎07‎/‎14 at 11:14 PM, Seto Kaiba said:

Thankfully, the impact Macross Delta's hatedom had on Macross was a lot less than the impact The Last Jedi's hatedom had on Star Wars.

As bad as Delta was, it wasn't as revoltingly bad as the TLJ. 

But its sad when the message "we don't like what you did with the beloved franchise" gets interpreted to mean "we don't like the franchise anymore".

8 hours ago, Podtastic said:

As bad as Delta was, it wasn't as revoltingly bad as the TLJ. 

Part of the problem being that some folks can't seem to separate "objectively bad" from "I didn't like it".  

Macross Delta has been a fairly successfully and well-received Macross series despite its flaws.  The negative reception it gets from certain parts of the English-speaking fandom seems to have a good deal more to do with fans either not getting certain core themes of Macross or simply not being in the show's target demographic to begin with.

Sufficed to say, there's a profound unwillingness in some corners to actually judge the show on its own merits (or lack thereof) rather than based on the viewer's unrealistic expectations of a Macross series.

I suspect, on that note, this new series will not make those same malcontent fans happy.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

1 hour ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Part of the problem being that some folks can't seem to separate "objectively bad" from "I didn't like it".  

Macross Delta has been a fairly successfully and well-received Macross series despite its flaws.  The negative reception it gets from certain parts of the English-speaking fandom seems to have a good deal more to do with fans either not getting certain core themes of Macross or simply not being in the show's target demographic to begin with.

Sufficed to say, there's a profound unwillingness in some corners to actually judge the show on its own merits (or lack thereof) rather than based on the viewer's unrealistic expectations of a Macross series.

I suspect, on that note, this new series will not make those same malcontent fans happy.

My wife's Japanese, and though she sat through and enjoyed SFDM and DYRL with me, she thought 7 was retarded.  I couldn't convince her to watch F and though I'm willing to give Delta a try, I have little hopes of getting her to.

1 hour ago, Gerli said:

Hating Delta was a funny meme... now let's focus in the new series 

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ GIB NEW MACROSS ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

I'm not enough of a bastard to reply to this by singing "When September Ends".

Anyway, here's Wonderwall...

Seriously though, we probably won't have any real news until the end of September.  I'm hoping for something akin to what Kawamori was talking about before the last project became Delta... a show about air racing or flight demonstration teams.  (I'd love an adaptation of Macross the Ride, though I suspect the toy companies wouldn't be too thrilled with it since design-wise it's basically a showplace for Macross's version of MSV.)

6 hours ago, peter said:

My wife's Japanese, and though she sat through and enjoyed SFDM and DYRL with me, she thought 7 was retarded.  I couldn't convince her to watch F and though I'm willing to give Delta a try, I have little hopes of getting her to.

M7 is definitely a love it of hate it affair.

5 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Seriously though, we probably won't have any real news until the end of September.  I'm hoping for something akin to what Kawamori was talking about before the last project became Delta... a show about air racing or flight demonstration teams.  (I'd love an adaptation of Macross the Ride, though I suspect the toy companies wouldn't be too thrilled with it since design-wise it's basically a showplace for Macross's version of MSV.)

I'd give my left arm for a Macross the Ride adaptation too, there are some pretty delicious VF designs in there that would look awesome in motion.

The VF-19 Nothung in particular.

15 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

suspect, on that note, this new series will not make those same malcontent fans happy.

It depends on the formula. The thing that makes people unanimously love an "The Empire Strikes Back" or unanimously hate a "Skyline".

Its not impossible to make a show with universal appeal if they care to do so.

17 hours ago, AN/ALQ128 said:

I'd give my left arm for a Macross the Ride adaptation too, there are some pretty delicious VF designs in there that would look awesome in motion.

The VF-19 Nothung in particular.

Just noticed you're in Vancouver, lol! 

I can't say I've bumped into many other Macross fans around here, that happen to like guns as well :)

17 hours ago, AN/ALQ128 said:

Macross 7 is very like its contemporary, Mobile Fighter G Gundam, in that you really need to be able to disengage yourself from your expectations of what a "traditional" title for the franchise is like and just go with the over-the-top enthusiasm in the show.

(They were both intended for a somewhat younger audience, IINM.)

9 hours ago, Podtastic said:

It depends on the formula. The thing that makes people unanimously love an "The Empire Strikes Back" or unanimously hate a "Skyline".

Its not impossible to make a show with universal appeal if they care to do so.

If there's one thing that the last few years have proven pretty definitively is that it really IS quite impossible to make a show or film with universal appeal... especially if you're making a sequel to some existing title.  You can't please some of the people any of the time.

I'd rather Macross experiment and push the boundaries of its concept than stagnate the way that Universal Century Gundam titles have been doing for ages and turn to jerking itself off by making shows explicitly about its own merchandise.  If it means one show in a dozen isn't a satisfying and delicious treat, so be it... it's still better than the only question being what we're calling the space nazis this season. :p 

4 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Macross 7 is very like its contemporary, Mobile Fighter G Gundam, in that you really need to be able to disengage yourself from your expectations of what a "traditional" title for the franchise is like and just go with the over-the-top enthusiasm in the show.

(They were both intended for a somewhat younger audience, IINM.)

If there's one thing that the last few years have proven pretty definitively is that it really IS quite impossible to make a show or film with universal appeal... especially if you're making a sequel to some existing title.  You can't please some of the people any of the time.

I'd rather Macross experiment and push the boundaries of its concept than stagnate the way that Universal Century Gundam titles have been doing for ages and turn to jerking itself off by making shows explicitly about its own merchandise.  If it means one show in a dozen isn't a satisfying and delicious treat, so be it... it's still better than the only question being what we're calling the space nazis this season. :p 

I think Yamato's doing a great job of revitalizing the franchise without getting to weird. 

The writers for Macross on the other hand, seem to have gotten to that fork in the road where reality went right, and they took a hard left.

5 minutes ago, peter said:

I think Yamato's doing a great job of revitalizing the franchise without getting to weird. 

A point of order... the Space Battleship Yamato franchise isn't developing new material. 

The last new original story they had was the Space Battleship Yamato: Resurrection movie almost ten years ago.  What they've been doing ever since is just remaking the first few Yamato titles.

5 minutes ago, peter said:

The writers for Macross on the other hand, seem to have gotten to that fork in the road where reality went right, and they took a hard left.

"Left" and "Right" are subjective, and depend entirely upon where you're standing at the time. ;) 

What's that saying... "Not all who wander are lost"?

1 hour ago, Seto Kaiba said:

"Left" and "Right" are subjective, and depend entirely upon where you're standing at the time. ;) 

What's that saying... "Not all who wander are lost"?

I prefer to follow the view of my man Bucakroo Banzai, "No matter where you go, there you are."

Macross will always be somewhere, and Kawamori willing somewhere new and interesting every time, even if it doesn't always lead to the best result, it will lead somewhere.

4 minutes ago, Master Dex said:

I prefer to follow the view of my man Bucakroo Banzai, "No matter where you go, there you are."

It says a lot about how I was raised that my first exposure to that quote was the dedication plaque from the USS Excelsior

4 minutes ago, Master Dex said:

Macross will always be somewhere, and Kawamori willing somewhere new and interesting every time, even if it doesn't always lead to the best result, it will lead somewhere.

One of the things I love best about Macross is that it's almost always somewhere completely new.

It makes the "shared" Macross universe feel much bigger when you can have multiple stories going on and building up without any crosstalk between them, or with two stories in the same place that are going on independently enough that the participants in one are only dimly aware of the goings-on in the other.  It's a setting big enough that earthshaking events and life-or-death stakes can be damped down enough by distance, time, and relevance that they can be either headline news half the galaxy away or squeezed in above an ad for mildew remover on page fourteen below the fold.

(I suspect that Delta explicitly being set in a remote, generally poorly trafficked part of the galaxy will mean the events of the series will not be widely known outside of the Brisingr globular cluster during future shows.  Even the New UN Government barely acknowledged it as anything but a tiff between colony worlds until the very end.)

6 hours ago, peter said:

Just noticed you're in Vancouver, lol! 

I can't say I've bumped into many other Macross fans around here, that happen to like guns as well :)

Oh yeah, I tried bringing up Macross at my college anime club and just got blank stares. Maybe that'll change once HG loses their death grip on the IP in a couple years (hopefully).

1 hour ago, AN/ALQ128 said:

Oh yeah, I tried bringing up Macross at my college anime club and just got blank stares. Maybe that'll change once HG loses their death grip on the IP in a couple years (hopefully).

Are you on CGN?  Canadian Gun Nutz?

3 hours ago, peter said:

Are you on CGN?  Canadian Gun Nutz?

I've browsed through it at times, but I haven't made an account yet. At the moment I've only got a lonely SKS, being a college student with only a part time job doesn't leave much money for expanding the collection.

9 hours ago, AN/ALQ128 said:

I've browsed through it at times, but I haven't made an account yet. At the moment I've only got a lonely SKS, being a college student with only a part time job doesn't leave much money for expanding the collection.

There's a pretty active thread, mostly chatter about firearms here:

Edited by peter