New Macross TV Series in 20xx (sometime this decade)

Tochiro

At the end of today's Walkure concert, we got 3 announcements:

1)New Macross tv series in 2018

2)'Superdimension Films' 35th anniversary project this year. 

3)Walkure concert in Bluray and DVD. 

UPDATED: added links to ANN articles  

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2017-01-29/macross-gets-new-tv-anime-in-2018-35th-anniversary-project/.111595

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2017-01-29/macross-35th-anniversary-includes-vr-concert-planetarium-projects-in-2017/.111598

IMG_3130.JPG

2 hours ago, NBasara said:

Wonder if it'll be a direct sequel to Delta since it's relatively close in production time(in Macross terms).

If it is. The opening better involve SMS bombing the crap of the Wind Stus.

1 hour ago, MikeRoz said:

It's not like not watching it will be an option. And Delta brought good music, decent mechanical designs.

It was still not enough to save what ended up a crap show. Delta only has like one memorable song. While the VFs appeared very little. That doesn't make for a poorly written story and flat characters. Robot battles and big explosions are not the primary reasons Gundam is still going strong in Japan.

Edited by Gordon Freeman

Awesome news on all counts. If the movie is a Delta retelling or follow-up, I think it would be easy to address many of the issues folks have with it so that could be cool. Obviously the new show is huge news and could go any direction so I'm thrilled. I feel like Macross has gotten a little Star Trek now in that they've gone soooo far into the future that the better story telling bits would lie in between Macross SDF and Delta.

Ok, well I'll ask: Is the Floating Head gonna be involved or is he 'going to concentrate on that china sh*t he walked away from Delta' to do?

A welcome bit of news. We've never had so little time between TV series in Macross, have we?

Precisely due to the short turn around and Walkure's popularity I'm expecting this to be in the same universe as Delta. A sequel with a new triangle maybe? Reboot?

3 hours ago, seti88 said:

Am more excited abt the prospect of new valks than anything else.^_^

I gotta admit something.  I wasn't impressed by the VF-31 as I was for the -25.  The SV-262 only piqued my interest because of my love for Saab's fighters.

3 hours ago, NBasara said:

Wonder if it'll be a direct sequel to Delta since it's relatively close in production time(in Macross terms). Or perhaps related to Megaroad 1 since they mentioned it in Delta but didn't really go anywhere with it.

As Kawamori stated before, he has no plans to revisit Megaroad-01, especially after Hikaru's voice actor committed suicide.

2 hours ago, Gordon Freeman said:

Robot battles and big explosions are not the primary reasons Gundam is still going strong in Japan.

The-Show-That-Must-Not-Be-Named was banking on robot battles and big explosions to distance itself from its source material, and it hasn't really worked out for them.  That's all I'm saying about that.

You can't bank on what Kawamori said about Megaroad 01 at all... he said it a LONG time ago and he has since put allusions to Minmay in Frontier and put even more about it into Delta. I don't think we will see a Megaroad 01 show buttt I definitely wouldn't take it off the table. By bringing it back into Delta he also seemed to impart some serious significance on whatever happened to them as we then allegedly got Mikumo out of it. I'd still rather see Macross the First animated though.... REBOOT!

3 hours ago, Lorindor said:

I have a dreadful feeling that this new series will be something like Macross Delta S2. Normally, I would be geeked out by this kind of news, but there's no enthusiasm from me at all. 

Can't blame you, I'm pretty much in the same boat about this.

Delta had some good songs but pretty mediocre everything else. The only thing I can hope for is they do much better this time around and redeem themselves but the bar has been set pretty low now.

4 hours ago, F360 said:

Maybe they are planing a prequel to the Detla tv series .

but i would love a remake/reboot of the original Macross series.  Consider all those hi metal r in the market now and a possible DX chogokin vf-1 if they do.

I was thinking that "Superdimension" project might wind up being a Macross: The First animation

Not sure if I am ready for a new TV show so soon after the meandering-fest of Delta. And part of the fun of Macross was always waiting about 5 years for a new series.

All these people talking about Macross the First adaption. Because ripping off MSG and Love Live didn't produce garbage.(Gundam the Origin anyone? )

Macross the Ride would be better option. Most anime these days are adaptions of (often crappy) light novels. Considering the state Macross is in. It might be a huge improvement.

I don't know anything about Macross the First other than its a retelling of SDF Macross.  I have no idea if its good or not. 

Whatever we get though, we can be sure it won't be competently animated.  Satelight sucks.  

Edited by Cowboy17

Alright then... I'll go ahead and be a person with some optimism. I need good news about now anyway, and more Macross is always better. Hell we have no idea what it is exactly or in what form (with the time table I am less inclined to believe it is a full length series. I could believe movies or an OVA though). So bring it on, I find something to love in each Macross installment, even when some people can't.

And if it is a continuation of Delta, good! It didn't really end anyway after all, there is still threads that can be tied up there (hopefully a bit better this time). If it is a movie retelling of Delta like Frontier had, even better! Because... well.. that should be obvious... story can be done so many ways better. If it is something new and original, awesome too!

We're here because we love Macross, and while the last thing we got didn't go perfectly doesn't mean it is "ruined FOREVER" it just means we should expect the creators, SK especially, to acknowledge the mistakes made and do better. We know they can, they've done it before. We don't know what this new thing is yet, at all, but it is Macross and I look forward to it.

Reposted from my post in the SCOOPUDA thread, tis relevant here too:

Alright then... I'll go ahead and be a person with some optimism. I need good news about now anyway, and more Macross is always better. Hell we have no idea what it is exactly or in what form (with the time table I am less inclined to believe it is a full length series. I could believe movies or an OVA though). So bring it on, I find something to love in each Macross installment, even when some people can't.

And if it is a continuation of Delta, good! It didn't really end anyway after all, there is still threads that can be tied up there (hopefully a bit better this time). If it is a movie retelling of Delta like Frontier had, even better! Because... well.. that should be obvious... story can be done so many ways better. If it is something new and original, awesome too!

We're here because we love Macross, and while the last thing we got didn't go perfectly doesn't mean it is "ruined FOREVER" it just means we should expect the creators, SK especially, to acknowledge the mistakes made and do better. We know they can, they've done it before. We don't know what this new thing is yet, at all, but it is Macross and I look forward to it.

4 minutes ago, Master Dex said:

Reposted from my post in the SCOOPUDA thread, tis relevant here too:

Well, the thing is that for some of us (i know i'm not alone), Macross has been taking a dive ever since Zero. MacF was bad, and Delta was horrid. I know not everyone shares that opinion obviously, but there's some of us that feel that way.  

Personally, I don't really look forward to more Macross honestly.  I don't think Kawamori is all that competent at anything other than designing mecha.  More mecha and sometimes the music is good, but everything else lately I can do without.  

Edited by Cowboy17