New Macross TV Series in 20xx (sometime this decade)

Tochiro

1 minute ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Ja.

Never knew the actual classification prior. 

11 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Technically, the Battle-class, Quarter-class, and Elysion-type are all capable of that... independently operable modules has been explicitly described, including the ability of the Gunship to fire using its internal reactors, but never properly animated.  Macross Elysion was the first to actually depict the freely-detachable modular components operating independently in the case of the Aether and her sister ship Hemera... sadly with no sign of the long-awaited Rocket Punch.

Well with the movie coming up we have another chance at getting it. More so depending on how much this movie is condensing the series and the story of the new series.

On 1/18/2018 at 3:12 PM, Focslain said:

Well with the movie coming up we have another chance at getting it. More so depending on how much this movie is condensing the series and the story of the new series.

Unlikely, IMO... condensing ten-and-a-half hours of the Macross Delta series into a two-hour movie is not going to leave much room for new effects sequences.  Especially given that the movie is almost certain to be as unbalanced as the series was in terms of its focus on Walkure vs. Delta Flight and the actual goddamn war.

One has to wonder how many Macross Delta art assets will be reused for this new series, whenever it airs.  Macross Delta itself had relatively few new CG models, mostly recycling ones from Macross Frontier.

5 hours ago, RedWolf said:

I wonder if the setting for this series is Sephira given how much it is referenced. Plus both SMS and Xaos has branches there. A friendly competition between those two PMC perhaps?

Assuming the new series is going forward in time, I'd bet against it.  Kawamori has always liked to start fresh with an all-new place he can tailor to the story's whims when a new series is in the works.

Plus I'm not sure any competition between SMS and Xaos could be anything but one-sided.  Strategic Military Services is an elite, proposterously well-funded and well-equipped organization that recruits top aces out of the federal New UN Forces.  Xaos is bush league by comparison, a financially-troubled PMC outfit with lax discipline and a troubled operational record that depends on their parent company's entertainment branch to keep the lights on and has to recruit washouts from local New UN Forces garrisons.  A competition between Xaos and SMS would be rather like sending a platoon's worth of out-of-shape mall cops up against an outfit like Delta Force or Seal Team Six.  

I wonder how this series will employ the presumed VF-35. Many previous main fighter models had a precursor model in the preceding series, but it's unlikely that Gekijō no Walküre will debut a YF-35. But obviously, this new series must have a new main model to distinguish itself. 

1 hour ago, SMS007 said:

I wonder how this series will employ the presumed VF-35. Many previous main fighter models had a precursor model in the preceding series, but it's unlikely that Gekijō no Walküre will debut a YF-35. But obviously, this new series must have a new main model to distinguish itself. 

Ofcourse it will. Bandai needs to sell something in-line with this movie. Remember that all these series are one big commercial for products and merchandise. It's a given.

Edited by no3Ljm

3 hours ago, SMS007 said:

The new mecha for Macross Delta: Gekijo no Walkure is pretty definitely going to be the VF-31 Armored Siegfried.

I'm wondering/hoping this next series will not introduce another new main fighter.  We're up to our eyebrows in 5th Gen already, and it's too early for a 6th since the fighter generations usually roughly parallel the real world ones.  I'd like to see them actually show us these 5th Gen VFs that already exist in production level use.  They could get the same marketing utility out of it, just with redecos of existing VFs and maybe a novel FAST pack or two.

3 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

Ofcourse it will. Bandai needs to sell something in-line with this movie. Remember that all these series are one big commercial for products and merchandise. It's a given.

Istuwari no Utahime got the Tornado Pack for the VF-25F, and a blink-and-you'll-miss-it YF-25 as a decoration, not a whole and new proper fighter model. And as Gekijō no Walküre is primarily a compilation film, it seems unlikely that there is budget for any new CGI parts besides the Armored Pack for the VF-31S.

11 minutes ago, SMS007 said:

Istuwari no Utahime got the Tornado Pack for the VF-25F, and a blink-and-you'll-miss-it YF-25 as a decoration, not a whole and new proper fighter model. And as Gekijō no Walküre is primarily a compilation film, it seems unlikely that there is budget for any new CGI parts besides the Armored Pack for the VF-31S.

Well, I'm just saying that Macross Frontier movies were also a compilation with added and reedited footages that ended up us having Tornado Parts option, YF-25, YF-29, and the VF-19 Advance. By the way, YF-29 and the VF-19 Advance were a new Valk.

I don't know if there's new budget for any CGI works and such. But from what we've experienced with this merchandising and whatnot, we all know obviously that we will get new Valks out of this compilation movies. We already seen a 'teased' Armored VF-31S on the promo poster, and the Lil Draken infused VF-31F. New CGI or not, we will definitely get new Valks out of this. ;)

Edited by no3Ljm

If Gekijō no Walküre were getting an actual new fighter like the YF-29 in multiple significant scenes (my standard for "new fighter), wouldn't the advertising have hyped it up by now?

My prediction remains unchanged. New fighter gear yes, but no new fighter for budget and story reasons.

14 minutes ago, SMS007 said:

If Gekijō no Walküre were getting an actual new fighter like the YF-29 in multiple significant scenes (my standard for "new fighter), wouldn't the advertising have hyped it up by now?

My prediction remains unchanged. New fighter gear yes, but no new fighter for budget and story reasons.

Well, I'll just wait and see then so that my wallet is always prepared for it. Besides, I'm always about the Valkyries ;) 

And top un like flight scenes.... maybe the macross team just needs to spend a weekend locked in a small windowless room watching topgun, yukikaze and  macross plus on infinite repeat until they either break or get the message

Just now, NZEOD said:

And top un like flight scenes.... maybe the macross team just needs to spend a weekend locked in a small windowless room watching topgun, yukikaze and  macross plus on infinite repeat until they either break or get the message

I support your "enhanced" Macross-combat reeducation programme! 

2 hours ago, NZEOD said:

Macross Delta's dogfight scenes are only crap because they spend the whole goddamn budget on Walkure.

A more balanced show is going to have better dogfights.

17 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Macross Delta's dogfight scenes are only crap because they spend the whole goddamn budget on Walkure.

A more balanced show is going to have better dogfights.

So I start a semi-rewatch of the series as the blu-rays arrive... memories from my first watch through I don't remember much of the mecha combat, but man if Hayate had gotten a few more chances at his bioroid dancing in the vf-31 we could have gotten something close to gun-kata in a mecha. 

On that note anyone know of a series I can see that type of mech-fu action in play?

3 hours ago, Focslain said:

So I start a semi-rewatch of the series as the blu-rays arrive... memories from my first watch through I don't remember much of the mecha combat, but man if Hayate had gotten a few more chances at his bioroid dancing in the vf-31 we could have gotten something close to gun-kata in a mecha. 

Hayate's "Immelmann Dance" basically got forgotten after about episode 6, and he only really used it like twice.  Once in that borrowed VF-171 and once when he took Freyja out in his new VF-31J when Messer came after him and threatened to shoot his ass down.

Also, bioroid?  Someone's got a bad case of Southern Cross.  That's a terrible illness, we hope you make a speedy recovery by watching a mecha series that's actually good. :p 

3 hours ago, Focslain said:

On that note anyone know of a series I can see that type of mech-fu action in play?

Let's see...

Mazinkaizer SKL has several gun kata sequences lifted right out of Equilibrium, which show up whenever Ryou has control of the SKL.  (Made slightly goofy by the realization that he's miming that crap in the cockpit with a pair of arcade console light guns.)

Lockon Stratos indulges in some gun kata-esque combat shenanigans when he's forced into close quarter combat in Gundam 00 since his fallback weapon for that sniper rifle was a matched pair of GN beam pistols on both of his Gundams.

Macross II: Lovers Again had a brief sequence that was up that alley when Cpt. Nex upgrades to the Metal Siren during the last big space battle of the OVA.  He starts out using a single gunpod but unlimbers the second shortly thereafter.  It's a pretty short sequence tho.  I'm trying to recall if there are any cases of the VF-22 using both gunpods at once in the Macross 7 series.

Full Metal Panic! has some occasional sequences like that on the part of the real top-flight AS pilots, though I think the only one who goes two-handing is Mao and only when she's doing mecha paintball against Tessa in the first season.  Most of their mecha combat is more acrobatic or actual mecha kung-fu tho.

Stella, Sting, and Auel do some straight-up gun kata in Gundam SEED Destiny during their theft of the prototypes, but they don't do it in a mobile suit.

Does Father Tres in Trinity Blood count?  He's not doing it IN a mecha, but he IS a mecha... well, an android.

2 hours ago, kajnrig said:

Full idol action, scissoring... phew, getting awful hot in here wink nudge :D

... I was thinking it, but I couldn't bring myself to actually say it.

2 minutes ago, Valkyrie addict said:

Macross Delta was just awful story telling and terrible mecha action

In other news, water is wet and the sun rises in the east.

For these and other obvious facts, please like and subscribe. :p 

2 minutes ago, Valkyrie addict said:

This 5min vid is better than the whole Delta series, skip to min 6:30

Video shows as unavailable in the US?

17 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Hayate's "Immelmann Dance" basically got forgotten after about episode 6, and he only really used it like twice.  Once in that borrowed VF-171 and once when he took Freyja out in his new VF-31J when Messer came after him and threatened to shoot his ass down.

Also, bioroid?  Someone's got a bad case of Southern Cross.  That's a terrible illness, we hope you make a speedy recovery by watching a mecha series that's actually good. :p 

I just recently got the first vol of Delta andam going to work on getting the rest over time now that I have funds. Hopefully adding to the sales and crossing fingers they might try a re-release of the other series in this format.

And meant battlroid, my apology  

17 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Let's see...

Mazinkaizer SKL has several gun kata sequences lifted right out of Equilibrium, which show up whenever Ryou has control of the SKL.  (Made slightly goofy by the realization that he's miming that crap in the cockpit with a pair of arcade console light guns.)

Lockon Stratos indulges in some gun kata-esque combat shenanigans when he's forced into close quarter combat in Gundam 00 since his fallback weapon for that sniper rifle was a matched pair of GN beam pistols on both of his Gundams.

Macross II: Lovers Again had a brief sequence that was up that alley when Cpt. Nex upgrades to the Metal Siren during the last big space battle of the OVA.  He starts out using a single gunpod but unlimbers the second shortly thereafter.  It's a pretty short sequence tho.  I'm trying to recall if there are any cases of the VF-22 using both gunpods at once in the Macross 7 series.

Full Metal Panic! has some occasional sequences like that on the part of the real top-flight AS pilots, though I think the only one who goes two-handing is Mao and only when she's doing mecha paintball against Tessa in the first season.  Most of their mecha combat is more acrobatic or actual mecha kung-fu tho.

Stella, Sting, and Auel do some straight-up gun kata in Gundam SEED Destiny during their theft of the prototypes, but they don't do it in a mobile suit.

Does Father Tres in Trinity Blood count?  He's not doing it IN a mecha, but he IS a mecha... well, an android.

Only series I haven't seen is Mazinkaizer SKL so I'll hunt that one down later. Thanks.

10 hours ago, Focslain said:

I just recently got the first vol of Delta andam going to work on getting the rest over time now that I have funds. Hopefully adding to the sales and crossing fingers they might try a re-release of the other series in this format. 

Yeah, those Japanese blu-rays are NOT cheap.  Even when collected into box sets, Macross is averaging about $63.50 a disc.... at least Delta was only two cour, Macross 7 was almost a grand once shipping was factored in.

10 hours ago, Focslain said:

Only series I haven't seen is Mazinkaizer SKL so I'll hunt that one down later. Thanks.

Crunchyroll has it, IIRC.

I think you, Seto Kaiba, said further up this thread that you would like to see this new TV anime put Frontier and Delta's existing valks to use in some new way?

Now that I think of it, that seems more and more like an accurate prediction of what fighters this series will have, given the high cost of anime and CGI, and this franchise's penchant for reusing animation assets.

Edited by SMS007

On 26/1/2018 at 12:03 AM, SMS007 said:

I ought to learn how to bypass YouTube region locks. Must be a useful skill.

There is a unoficial Chrome extension called "F*ck Youtube" that can disable region lock and all the other bullsh*t

Edited by Gerli

23 hours ago, SMS007 said:

I think you, Seto Kaiba, said further up this thread that you would like to see this new TV anime put Frontier and Delta's existing valks to use in some new way?

Now that I think of it, that seems more and more like an accurate prediction of what fighters this series will have, given the high cost of anime and CGI, and this franchise's penchant for reusing animation assets.

Probably, yeah... the Macross Delta animation staff reused a lot of CG assets from Macross Frontier and its movies for the series.  That said, there was only really one case where the decision to reuse old assets was the island ship on Ragna where the Island Cluster-class 3D model was rescaled to be barely larger than the Macross Elysion, which looked incredibly awkward with the dome's ceiling being so low to the ground.

We've seen via many Macross stories that a variable fighter design can expect a service lifespan of ~20 years before the New UN Forces (local or otherwise) get to seriously thinking about its replacement.  The actual replacement process can take close to a decade as new fighters are gradually phased in though.  Local New UN Forces in remote or under-funded regions of the galaxy are still going to be using the VF-171-II and VF-171-III Nightmare Plus as their main fighter into the 2070s while they wait for their own 5th Generation fighter design to enter mass production and reach a deployment level where it has effectively supplanted the VF-171.  If you look to sources like Master File, the VF-25 was gradually being phased in to replace the VF-171 in the fleets that adopted it in 2065, and we know the VF-31 won't even be ready to be officially adopted by the Brisingr Alliance NUNS until 2069 or 2070 according to Kawamori.  If he's going to introduce a 6th Generation Variable Fighter, Kawamori's going to have to jump the timeline forward to the mid-2090s or 2100s for the standard development cycle to have rendered the 5th Generation properly obsolete.  My suspicion is the 5th Generation will actually end up lasting longer than average considering that it took twice as long to develop and represented a HUGE advance over the 4th Generation.  My guess is it'll be 40-50 years before there's a 6th Generation.

Without either starting over or jumping forward massively, the options for new fighters basically boil down to yet another regional 5th Generation VF or actually using the ones that they've already made.  I'd really like to see the New UN Spacy using the VF-24, VF-25, and VF-31 as mass production fighters.

8 hours ago, SMS007 said:

My current hope: a five-man New U.N. Spacy special forces team, flying all production YF-24 derivatives: VF-24, VF-25, VF-27, VF-29, and VF-31.

After Delta, I'm setting the bar somewhat lower.

I just want decent writing.  Beyond that, I'm up for whatever.

2 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

How about a combining 5 Valkyries into Superion? ;) 

Nah this is a new age, it'll be Victorion, lol.

1 hour ago, no3Ljm said:

Well, it's going to be the first for the heroes then. ^_^ 

Fun fact!  The VF-11 was almost a combiner.  You can see the early gattai version of it in the Shoji Kawamori Macross Design Works book.

The main cockpit with the canards was going to be one part, and where the rear-facing laser cannon is was going to be a second cockpit for the larger second plane.

44 minutes ago, Convectuoso said:

I never played M3. Is there an English patch for it?

None of which I am aware, it's a Sega Dreamcast game.