LEGO VF-1 A and S Battroid mode

Brick_Sash

vf-1s.png

Hi guys !

So after finishing the SDF-1 I thought that something was missing. Of course the SDf-1 can't be without it's squadron of valks.

I loaded up Lego Digital Designer and started on working on Hikaru's VF-1A from DYRL. I didn't want to spend all that much time,

so I decided that I'd only build it in battroid mode, no transformation.

Finished product sports approx 1030 bricks, a lot less than the 11.000 brick heavy SDF-1.

Now it's time to start the actual build.

vf-1a pose gun.pngvf-1a pose back.png

Edited by Brick_Sash

10 hours ago, spanner said:

very nice work mate! they look fantastic! even if they don't transform.. B))

now all you gotta do is create gerwalk and fighter fixed versions! :D

be sure to post those photos when complete! ^_^

Thanks mate. Some time ago, I started work on a VF-25 but it's on ice right now. I might make some changes and turn it into a gerwalk VF-1 or fighter mode with strike pack. It's of a bigger scale than the battroid though.vf-25(1).png

9 hours ago, Xigfrid said:

Looking really nice as is!

Thanks !

Edited by Brick_Sash

20 hours ago, spanner said:

the 25 looks great so far! I've tried messing about with the lego builder but its not as easy as one would think.. which I found curious as I played with lego a great deal as a kid and thought that would carry over but it didn't really.. 

Thanks! Funny because a friend and I were talking about LDD vs actual brick prototyping.

He told me he admired people who use LDD because he just can't get the hang of it. Personally I envy him because he has enough bricks to just go ahead and prototype. I have to say that some things are easier accomplished with real bricks. LDD can a bit tedious at times, but I have no other choice. 

• 3 months later...

Time to update this thread with the actual builds. I've made decals to add detail to the mocs. I haven't taken pictures of the A yet, so I'll just post the S for now.

Some quick info on the set, it's 39cm / 15.8 inches tall, approx 1150 bricks.

1493675455m_DISPLAY.jpg

14936764401_DISPLAY.jpg

14936778441_DISPLAY.jpg

14936779901_DISPLAY.jpg

14936784951_DISPLAY.jpg

14936785961_DISPLAY.jpg

Great work. You nailed it!

You should submit it to Lego website for voting to actually get it made.

A transforming valk made it through the first rounds at Lego, but seemed too gaudy to me and maybe not a workable toy.

Maybe yours could make it.

@Brick_Sash That is a fantastic design, and it's great to see the actual build. I used to be into Lego as a kid a long time ago, and have enjoyed building with my son over the last few years, but nothing as impressive as this!

How did you source all the parts? BrickLink? I believe LDD will help you generate both instructions and a parts inventory, right?

Also, do the wings swing out?

Thank you guys! As said by @barurutor, this set wouldn't make it far. Licensing would definitely be a problem. On top of that, this is not really a play set. It's comparable to LEGO Ultimate Collector Series sets, it's made of over 1000 bricks and is rather fragile. You build it, pose it, and then place it in your display case/cabinet next to your other Valks.

I just wanted to create something that I could display next to my SDF-1 during conventions.

@ScrambledValkyrie Most parts were sourced off Bricklink, some came from my own stash. But Bricklink is your #1 source for LEGO bricks. When I build the actual set, I back track my own steps based on the LDD model. I use blueprint to create instructions, LDD's generated Instructions are useless in most cases, You've got to group and subgroup parts of your model, and even then LDD creates steps that can't be followed.

You can export a parts list/ inventory any time, it just can't be imported into Bricklink. You have to manually search for each part. 

Got my kids into the software.

They google instructions for their favorite kits and then try to build them.

They love it, but lots of parts are not included.

Edited by arbit

As a long time LDD user, I agree with the sentiments that it can be a difficult and frustrating program at times. In a straight vertical building situation, it's great. Once you add moving parts to the mix, it becomes much more unforgiving.

As for the inventory, right now, it was last updated in 2016, IIRC, so none of the 2017 parts have been added. LEGO were going to retire the program , but there was a lot of outcry, and they have continued to do infrequent updates to the pallette; how long they continue to support it, even in a limited capacity, is anyone's guess. I still enjoy using it for prototyping, though- very convenient, and in fact, I just designed something for my sister's birthday with it.^_^

• 3 months later...

Just wanted to share this with you guys. I had the honor to meet Shoji Kawamori himself during the Asia Pop Comic Con.

I waited 9 hours in line that day to meet him and have my LEGO creations signed. It was an amazing experience.

I felt like a little kid, I was nervous as hell. A moment I won't forget

21106795_1768550900104463_81845229486191

21077731_1768550963437790_33561508418984

21150072_1768550966771123_46170084034992

21078301_1768551083437778_65062036965197

21106324_1768551210104432_79404713267184

15 hours ago, chyll2 said:

haha makes you wonder, what will be his reaction if you brought your SDF-1 lego.

Haha, I'm seriously wondering that too. I wish I would have at least brought one of the ARMD carriers. But I had my hands full with the two battroids.

One of them was in my backpack the other one I had in a paperbag. I had to be ultra careful because people kept on bumping into my stuff.

51 minutes ago, arbit said:

That is awesome! Personally I think your Lego valk designs are amazing.

What did he think of your builds?

Did he check them out in detail, or too busy?

He looked very happy and pointed out areas like the chest and other pieces, he called his assistant over and had her take pictures.

He genuinely seemed to appreciate the builds. If it wasn't for the language barrier I'm sure we could have had a short but interesting conversation

about the MOCs.

28 minutes ago, Xigfrid said:

I don't if I could stand in line for that long, seriously you deserve the glory :D

The girl behind looked very interested and was taking pictures of the VF though!

Thanks! I would have waited even longer if it would have been necessary. There was a time where I thought I wouldn't make it because the line was progressing at a crawl.

Pretty much everyone who fell in line had items signed and commissioned a drawing/ sketch, which took anywhere from 5-10 minutes. Thankfully I was among the first 40-50 people  that day. We were there before the event started, and the lines were loooooong. I wonder if people who arrived in the afternoon were still able to get an autograph, I heard he signed till 8pm, I was done by 7pm. We arrived at the event at 8:30am.

Edited by Brick_Sash

2 hours ago, Brick_Sash said:

Haha, I'm seriously wondering that too. I wish I would have at least brought one of the ARMD carriers. But I had my hands full with the two battroids.

One of them was in my backpack the other one I had in a paperbag. I had to be ultra careful because people kept on bumping into my stuff.

Did you show him atleast a phone snapshots of your SDF-1? ;)

On 8/31/2017 at 8:41 AM, no3Ljm said:

Did you show him atleast a phone snapshots of your SDF-1? ;)

No I didn't, my wife was using my phone to take pictures. I was just too focus on the two valks. One of them was partially disassembled , so before I met him I had to put it back together to have it actually signed. If he ever comes back to Manila I'll have one of the ARMD carriers signed and I'll print out a nice poster sized picture of the SDF-1 for him to sign as well. But knowing that Kazutaka Miyatake designed the SDF-1, I wonder if it would be okay though.

On 9/2/2017 at 11:47 PM, ScrambledValkyrie said:

@Brick_Sash, that's really cool (and fitting) that you got to show your amazing work to the man himself! Makes for a great and unforgettable story, for sure.

Thanks, it was  the number one topic during my last LEGO Group meeting. I'm happy that I was able to go and that my wife supported me in this. She waited with me for 9 hours.