wtf! toynami 1/2000 sdf-1 macross tv

CHAVAKAISER

Well....they super-sized the HCM to make the Masterpiece VF-1's...

Maybe they will do the same with the Takatoku SDF-1....

Only they'll pick the Henkei as their starting point!

Hmmmm....a 1/2000 Henkei SDF-1.....I'd actually buy that!

Are you readyyyyyyyyyyyy? :D

Looks kinda like it. If it's not too expensive I'd pick up one.

Front looks a bit too narrow, but meh, yeah, that pearlized metallic is just fugly on it.

Funny enough, the paint does make it look just like a scaled-up Henkei. :lol:

Edit: Also, really, the center section of the main body just looks too long, leaving the front booms looking too short.

Edited by Chronocidal

^^^^^

I said this a few weeks ago, that section around the cannons was a dead give away they borrowed from Hasegawa. Apparently no one owns a book with actual line art in it. Seriously, if you're going to make the TV version.... make the TV version and not some Half-a$$ed, it's close enough design.

P.S. that metallic paint job looks horrid!

If they were going to ripoff a design....they should have super-sized the Cosmo....lol

Agreed. And to be honest, I don't mind the partsforming parts too in 1/2000 scale. Though I just have to worry where to put the extra unused part when displaying in one mode. ^_^

Nooooope. Not interested. Not one bit. I mean first of all, that paint job. Gross. 2nd, it just looks...off because of the DYRL take aways. And 3rd...that LED lighting...I don't need them to light up my whole damn house...LOL. and it's lit up in wierd places. Pass for now.

Yeah.. the closest thing that reminds me of is that GI Joe plane they had from the movie (I think it was called a "Night Raven" even) that made a point of calling out one of the features on the box: "ENGINE LIGHTS!" Because every airplane needs illuminated compressor blades. :rolleyes:

That paint looks terrible, and the lights are absolute nonsense. Like seriously, who do they hire to come up with this kind of schlock?

I'm definitely not sold on it from those pictures. I can deal with the lights. Yes you are paying for the gimmick, but if you don't like it you can leave it turned off. I can even deal with some of the inaccuracies. What I can't deal with is the color scheme (although sh9000's post gives me some hope) and the lack of surface detail on the 'arms' and 'legs'. It's pretty sad that a 1/4000 kit has more detail than this.

Hopefully these issues are due to it being a prototype but for now it looks like a toy and won't be added to my collection.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I would totally buy the cheap mock-up Robowtek sdf-1 on 1/2000. Just so I could add nice and fine details to it..

Bring it on toynamey..! :p

On 12/15/2016 at 9:32 PM, jvmacross said:

They should have paid Nyankodevice for his SDF-1.....

gallery_14728_808_111542.jpg

Yeah, not biting. The guy that did the toynami sculpt lacks aesthetic eye and good taste. The lighting is also tacky. Looks like a chinese KO. This one is gorgeous, I'd give an arm and a leg for a toy that looks like this and close the SDF-1 chapter for good. 

I'll admit, I saw the first few pictures of the Toynami 1/2000 SDF-1 and thought it looked kind of cool. I didn't like the over-use of metallic paint. I didn't like the use of too much blue when certain areas should be white. I didn't like the arms that, parodoxically, are oversized (the Prometheus' nose extends FURTHER back than the SDF-1's engines!) but look undersized because the 2 arms are overly thin.

Despite all these flaws, I thought it looked like a competent, half-decent SDF-1.

And then I saw those pictures of it from the bottom. WHAT HAPPENED? The upper half of the ship actually looks fairly good. There's a good amount of detail, and the sense of scale was quite competent. And then...the bottom. YIKES! It's like you're playing a PC game but the textures and bump mapping didn't load yet! It looks like you have PS2-level detail on the top but SNES Star Fox 1-level detail on the bottom.

YIKES.