I do like the new design. However, I also liked the old Gipsy Danger design, where the robot looked like a colossal, beefed-up, football linebacker. VERY 'Murica. frakk yeah.

edit: I didn't know the forum automatically edits the f-word.

Edited by frothymug

Honestly, I think Gipsy 1 is more inspired by the oldschool Tetsujin and Mazinger era of robot design and Gipsy 2 is more modern Gundam style.

Canonically, it is appropriate for a new Gipsy to resemble Striker Eureka more than Gipsy 1, but emotionally I really liked Danger and her presence will be missed.

1 hour ago, JB0 said:

Honestly, I think Gipsy 1 is more inspired by the oldschool Tetsujin and Mazinger era of robot design and Gipsy 2 is more modern Gundam style.

Canonically, it is appropriate for a new Gipsy to resemble Striker Eureka more than Gipsy 1, but emotionally I really liked Danger and her presence will be missed.

I never saw the first movie.  Why is it canonical for it to resemble the other one?

35 minutes ago, Mommar said:

I never saw the first movie.  Why is it canonical for it to resemble the other one?

If I had to guess, it's because Striker was the only Mark 5 Jaeger ever built. Depending on the timeline of the movie, it stands to reason that the designs would be similar.

1 hour ago, kajnrig said:

For my part, I liked that the first movie designs were varied in their design influences/inspirations, and Gypsy 2.0, at least, seems... "safer."

I also liked the varied design influences. I also thought it was interesting how the newest mech was the most "Gundam-y".

Gipsy Avenger seems like an attempt to be more modern to me. Drawing more inspiration from the last decade of Gundam and less from the earliest of mech animes.

The thing that disappoints me most about the design is that it looks less powerful. Gipsy Danger's bulk and lines gave it a sense of raw strength. It looked like something that couldn't move very fast, but you REALLY didn't want to still be around when it got there. Gipsy Avenger looks faster, more nimble... and weaker. Like it CAN'T punch Godzilla's head clean off his shoulders after shrugging off a burst of firebreath.

But again, it also seems a logical evolution of the designs. We saw in the first movie they advanced from tanks with legs(Cherno Alpha, I love you, but lets call a spade a spade here) to the fairly sleek design of Striker Eureka, which to be frank LOOKED a lot less powerful than the rest no matter what it was actually capable of.

Edit: Consulting with others, and it was also noted that Gipsy Avenger lacks a lot of the WW2 fighter plane feel of Danger. It feels less worn, and it lacks a lot of the paint details that gave a bit of personality to Danger. There's no pinstriping, no nose art, nothing. I really hope that the final Avenger has paint details we're not seeing yet.

Edited by JB0

• 2 weeks later...

Really? I don't know about the fans around the world but here in Italy it was one of the things that were appreciated the most from the community.Also, Del Toro seemed to care a lot about the "bound" between the pilots. I guess this means that he has been much less involved than i expected. And judging from this first teaser i am starting to get a little worried. 

I like the design of the new Jaegers though.

Edited by Ryoma

Robot Damashii Gipsy Avenger preorder.

HLJ - https://hlj.com/product/bann19790
Hobby Search - http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10480215
high-res pics - http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10480215

EDIT:

Robot Damashii Bracer Phoenix preorder.

HLJ - https://hlj.com/product/BANN19791
Hobby Search - http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10480219

Edited by kajnrig

Heh. Looking at the trailer and freeze-framing the technical specification gibberish that flashes up during several shots... Gipsy Avenger is apparently equipped with a "reality diffusion array". And is describned as a "pilotable god" (41 and 45 seconds, respectively)

• 1 month later...
On 8/29/2017 at 10:44 PM, Big s said:

Max factory made ones for the first film, don't know if bandai got exclusive rights for model kits or if different scales and gimmicks will be split between them 

But they still needed to be painted? Really don't want to paint stuff.

6 hours ago, Big s said:

If you really hate painting, these look like they would have a simple color separation for the parts. Thes will probably be easy to get, so waiting on a review after release wouldn't be so bad. Bandai rarely sells completely out of kits on standard release.

Hopefully the review would be good, and they release next year. I want these but I can wait. :)

• 1 month later...