I take back the thing about it starting to look like Pacific Rim. Mechs doin' somersault backflips like it ain't nothin'. There is NO sense of mass there, which was really the most defining thing about Pacific Rim's monsters and mecha.

And the kaiju are back because HUMANS INVITED THEM? That is the dumbest possible plot they could have gone with.

I would be a lot more upset if I hadn't already decided to treat this like Pacific Rim fanfic.  I miss Beacham and Del Toro already.

6 hours ago, JB0 said:

And the kaiju are back because HUMANS INVITED THEM? That is the dumbest possible plot they could have gone with.

That was one of Del Toro's ideas for a sequel in the first place. Specifically, he noted that a Drift goes both ways, and that kaiju have a hive mind, and that two humans have drifted with kaiju.

• 2 weeks later...

IMAX trailer. Don't watch if:

1) You don't like spoilers (this shows basically an entire key battle save for its ending, which REALLY pissed me off)

2) You like good trailers (this thing is terribly put together)

That said, this trailer reinforces my supposition that the movie will be the popcorn fest I want it to be.

Edited by kajnrig

Yup, still insanely hyped, I can't wait. Oh my gosh the Jaegers are faster and more agile!? Well, technology advanced, so yeah, makes sense. For how much Del Toro said Evangelion inspired the first film, I see FAR more Eva in this sequel then the first. The first was far more slow and mechanical, like Robot Jox with kaiju. Can't hate on either take myself, giant robots v kaiju is good stuff no matter how you slice it.

On 2/9/2018 at 8:46 PM, slaginpit said:

Didn't bother even starting the video, but the movie isn't out yet, so are these guys or gals just bitching and moaning based on the trailers and calling it trash already? It's fine if so, different strokes and all that, but it makes the video sound totally pointless, standard fair cynical Youtube get the clicks garbage.

We'd already seen Cherno Alpha being a slow, plodding brick while Gipsy Danger and Crimson Typhoon were faster and more agile, and Striker Eureka was improved still over them. Why wouldn't new, mk 6 Jaegers be faster and more agile, particularly in what seems to be a time where they can truly focus on refining designs rather than just throwing out whatever the hell they can make as soon as possible?

To be clear, I wasn't complaining that the jaegars were more agile, I was complaining that they no longer "feel" massive, which is something the first movie put a lot of work into.

Physics is a thing, and 2500 tons of awesome is going to carry a lot of momentum. Even if they have the power and meterials to overcome that, sudden sharp movements are going to dump a lot of kinetic energy somewhere. Windows should be shattered by shockwaves, craters smashed in the ground as they land from those big flying leaps, et cetera. What we've seen in the trailers has them carrying all the weight of a plastic toy.

It is very frustrating after the first movie took such great pains to make the machines look believable, and feel massive and powerful.

15 hours ago, Tking22 said:

For how much Del Toro said Evangelion inspired the first film

Actually, Del Toro said he'd never seen Evangelion. He named Patlabor and Tetsujin 28 as influences.

• 2 weeks later...

Ah ah the scrapper reminds me of the Boss Borot from Mazinger z...Trailer after trailer this movie looks more and more terrible. I watched the first one three times during the frist three days when it came out. Honestly i don't know if i m going to give a chance to this one.

19 minutes ago, Ryoma said:

Ah ah the scrapper reminds me of the Boss Borot from Mazinger z...Trailer after trailer this movie looks more and more terrible. I watched the first one three times during the frist three days when it came out. Honestly i don't know if i m going to give a chance to this one.

Yeah. Everything I see breaks my heart a little more. This has gone from "Hells yeah Pacific Rim 2!" to "Okay, this is a giant robot movie, but not Pacific Rim 2" and on to "Pacific Rim 2: The Phantom Menace"

While I'm not nearly at the same level as you two, I did watch a clip of the Leatherback/Otachi battle and the difference in the level of visual finesse between the first film and second is undeniable. Holy cow, I'd forgotten how beautiful the film was.

5 hours ago, JB0 said:

Yeah. Everything I see breaks my heart a little more. This has gone from "Hells yeah Pacific Rim 2!" to "Okay, this is a giant robot movie, but not Pacific Rim 2" and on to "Pacific Rim 2: The Phantom Menace"

Ah ah The phantom menace...i like that...your escalation sums up pretty well how i feel too.

16 minutes ago, kajnrig said:

While I'm not nearly at the same level as you two, I did watch a clip of the Leatherback/Otachi battle and the difference in the level of visual finesse between the first film and second is undeniable. Holy cow, I'd forgotten how beautiful the film was.

I feel that the first one was more about the quality of the fights rather than the quantity. Obviously this is just a feeling since i haven't seen the second one yet. 

On 3/3/2018 at 6:14 PM, renegadeleader1 said:

I see you guys upset about this movie and I would feel for you except for the fact I didn't think the first film was all that good. And the way they controlled the mechs with some metaphysical mental linking B.S. was just dumb as all hell.

Pretty much this, I didn't care for the first one so I don't really have any expectations to be disappointed over on this one.

Ick... I'm avoiding these latest trailers ever since that Imax one I shared. These movies are all about the fights, and these latest trailers look to be spoiling all of that.

The merch looks awesome. But I'm again re-watching the first movie and the difference in quality is still night and day.

(get it because the first movie was almost all night fights and this one takes place in the day)

The lighting, colors, vibrancy, all was awesome in the first movie. The rain and water effects complement the Jaegers spectacularly. Del Toro goes into a lot of detail about working with ILM on the first film, directing the lighting and the shot composition, and... Man, he really deserved that Oscar.

This one still looks like fun, but... not Oscar-quality fun. Kind of sad that my waning enthusiasm has less to do with the movie itself and more with how much it pales (in some ways literally) in comparison to its predecessor.

Damn this looks awesome! I can't wait. There still looks to be plenty of "weight" to the fights, they're just more mobile, which absolutely works for me, this is what I would imagine a next-gen Jaeger to move like and be capable of. I'm loving the designs too, monster and Jaeger, plus no hide the CG in a dark rainy fight scene! Does that make the CG stand out more? Eh, depends. I feel I can actually see the detail and money that went into these, a day time fight was something the first film was sorely lacking in, we got that taste in Australia but that was it, and it was short.