I can't wait!!! I absolutely LOVED the first one, this one looks like it will be a ton of fun too.

4 hours ago, wm cheng said:

LOL!!!  Totally!  (I worked on the first Pac Rim, but this sequel went down to Australia and it looks like a kiddie show now)

What looks like a kiddie show exactly? The new Jaeger designs?

3 hours ago, Tking22 said:

I can't wait!!! I absolutely LOVED the first one, this one looks like it will be a ton of fun too.

What looks like a kiddie show exactly? The new Jaeger designs?

It reminds me of the Mighty Morphing Power Rangers and the new suits looks like black leotards with blue hockey pads stuck on them (a far cry from the original hardsuits!)  The VFX looks cheesy badly composited in with bad lighting that doesn't match the environment.

14 hours ago, wm cheng said:

It reminds me of the Mighty Morphing Power Rangers and the new suits looks like black leotards with blue hockey pads stuck on them (a far cry from the original hardsuits!)  The VFX looks cheesy badly composited in with bad lighting that doesn't match the environment.

Wow yeah, after seeing the trailer, I WHOLEHEARTEDLY disagree! This looks amazing, and like a ton of fun! The CG looks perfectly fine to me, and I'm not seeing anything Power Ranger like with the new drift suits, they look fine, no worse of more PR like then the first film's suits. The CG looks phenomenal, plus it's not hidden by rain and darkness, a big issue I had with the fist film. To each their own I guess, I can't wait, it looks way bigger and better then the first!

1 hour ago, UN Spacy said:

LOOKS GOOD...I just hope these huge frakking robots move like huge frakking robots.

They are much smaller than the first movie and they sync up to the pilot movements so much that these robots look like they move at a human scale (but in slo-mo) - no sense of weight or inertia - argh!

1 hour ago, Tking22 said:

Wow yeah, after seeing the trailer, I WHOLEHEARTEDLY disagree! This looks amazing, and like a ton of fun! The CG looks perfectly fine to me, and I'm not seeing anything Power Ranger like with the new drift suits, they look fine, no worse of more PR like then the first film's suits. The CG looks phenomenal, plus it's not hidden by rain and darkness, a big issue I had with the fist film. To each their own I guess, I can't wait, it looks way bigger and better then the first!

We must agree to disagree...  Maybe its the bright daylight, but it "flattens" the cityscape behind the robots and makes them "pop" out of the scene.  The new suits are soft spandex, where as the original suits are "hard" suits like an astronault (they had to hold liquid to suspend the pilots from the inertia & g-forces).  Yes, I don't like darkness to hide stuff, but the rain definitely added depth and reflections to the nighttime battle sequences that this daytime sequence looks so flat - there weren't even reflections of the robots in the glass of the office towers.  Also there's just no comparison between DoubleNegative (VFX for this movie) and ILM (VFX for the original) they aren't even in a similar ballpark. 

27 minutes ago, azrael said:

They shrank everything.....

Maybe that's why they can move like they have no weight or size and just dance about with martial arts!  But yes, the original Jaegers were like taller than skyscrapers (50-60 stories) and now they all look to be around 15-25 stories tall.  They move and fight just like Transformers - argh!

I guess I'm biased but I've had enough of young kids saving the world or young kids being in positions of high authority - yeah, yeah... I know its every Millennial's fantasy to boss over these old fogies but it just makes all these films so fantastical (when you already have to suspend so much disbelief for giant robots!).  Our Millennials here can't even change the photocopier toner and then expects us to cheer when they finally do it with lots of help?!  Boy, how old do I sound! :p  (quietly gets off the soap box without hurting my back!)

1 hour ago, azrael said:

They shrank everything.....

41 minutes ago, wm cheng said:

They are much smaller than the first movie and they sync up to the pilot movements so much that these robots look like they move at a human scale (but in slo-mo) - no sense of weight or inertia - argh!

Yeah, on first viewing I was put off by the smaller scale and quicker movements, too. That said, now it has a more real robot feel to it, for better and worse. That's true for the rest of the film as well. More shounen anime, less 80s Mazingers. I hate the whole "combiner sword" shtick, but the way this one pulled it off just hit me in all the right spots.

That said, the original designs were definitely more interesting. Kinda comes with the territory, I suppose. No Del Toro means no Del Toro magic.

41 minutes ago, wm cheng said:

Yes, I don't like darkness to hide stuff, but the rain definitely added depth and reflections to the nighttime battle sequences that this daytime sequence looks so flat - there weren't even reflections of the robots in the glass of the office towers.  Also there's just no comparison between DoubleNegative (VFX for this movie) and ILM (VFX for the original) they aren't even in a similar ballpark.

Yeah, visually there's no comparison. The lighting and color choice in general is a major step back, again probably due to a lack of major Guillermo Del Toro involvement. The original paid a lot of attention to those two things - Del Toro even assisted the VFX artists personally, and the lighting didn't necessarily match from scene to scene in order to achieve certain effects. They purposely limited the use of red, such that it would stand out all the more when it did appear (ie times of crisis). The scene where Gipsy looks into a skyscraper before Otachi bursts out from behind it, the skyscraper's windows are striped with neon blue, mimicking the blue of the kaiju and the slash wounds Otachi received from Crimson Typhoon earlier in the battle. And so on and so forth.

This one looks to be taking cues from sci-fi trends right now, so it looks more generic. I'm seeing some Transformers influence, some of the Star Trek movies... This one has less that's unique to itself than the first movie does.

But we're still a long ways off from the release. There'll definitely be more FX work being done, and even as it is, these effects don't look bad.

32 minutes ago, wm cheng said:

I guess I'm biased but I've had enough of young kids saving the world or young kids being in positions of high authority - yeah, yeah... I know its every Millennial's fantasy to boss over these old fogies but it just makes all these films so fantastical (when you already have to suspend so much disbelief for giant robots!).  Our Millennials here can't even change the photocopier toner and then expects us to cheer when they finally do it with lots of help?!  Boy, how old do I sound! :p  (quietly gets off the soap box without hurting my back!)

Boy, someone's salty about getting old. :D

EDIT:

On a different note, is that some Jaeger-on-Jaeger fighting? And a Nemesis Prime Gipsy Mutilator? :p Any ideas about the story behind this? I'm going to guess that the two scientists have split and are working on competing Jaeger designs, and then people have to come together when the Kaiju attack again? Maybe they're expanding on the whole Jaeger-themed sports thing from the first movie and it's turned into all-out G Gundam. (Oh man, if only...)

Edited by kajnrig

34 minutes ago, kajnrig said:

Maybe they're expanding on the whole Jaeger-themed sports thing from the first movie and it's turned into all-out G Gundam. (Oh man, if only...)

As much as I hate G-Gundam, I'm totally on board for this. Also did you notice the homemade Jeager ~0:50?

1 hour ago, wm cheng said:

Yeah, damn Millenials... They all wish that they could simply jump into the cockpit of an advanced mecha with no training, save the world and the pretty girl, too; all at the ripe age of 16...

;)

I bet the red jaeger with the katana is the girl one.

As much as I like Boyega, his epic-type speech doesn't really seem to stack up to Elbaba's. I'm meh on this one. I'll go if my friends want to check it out.

1 hour ago, wm cheng said:

'Heard a story from family about millennials in their office giving blank stares when asked to get a letterhead sheet. My face: :rolleyes:<_< So I feel your pain/grumpiness/get-off-my-lawn.

So did that kaiju at the end super sentai-gattai?

Okay, I have concerns.   I am going to ignore these concerns when the movie comes out, but with neither Del Toro nor Beacham being involved, I am just going to see giant robots. Based on the trailer, it is Pacific Rim fanfic.

Point 1: Why is everything so freaking CLEAN?

Pacific Rim's hardware and bases all looked like they were where work happens. They were grungy and greasy and scuffed and scraped, on top of just being very utilitarian.

This trailer presents a world where everyone has just barely had time to unload the Apple truck and MAYBE remove the shipping protectors. They are not where work happens, they are where coffee is drank.

Pont 2: WHY ARE THE JAEGARS SMALLER?

Seriously, there's two possibilities here.

A. they thought the kaiju were coming back, in which case the jaegars shoudl be built to, at a minimum, solo a category 5. That requires a lot more mass and leverage than these things have. If you are eye-level with a kaiju's crotch, you are not built to fight a kaiju.

B. they didn't think the kaiju were coming back at all, in which case there's no reason whatsoever to build jaegars of any size because they are horrifically expensive, difficult to maintain, require very specialized pilot teams, and they have no purpose. They are specialized tools, and simply not practical for regular warfare. A single fighter jet could take out a jaegar at a fraction of the cost.

Point 3: Boyega just isn't as good at dramatic speechifying as Elba. This isn't really a slight on him, Elba just has a really powerful and commanding voice. Boyega has his strengths, Elba has different strengths, and they are asking Boyega to play to Elba's strengths instead of writing a part that works with Boyega.

Point 4: Are they using infantry with assault rifles? SERIOUSLY?  And not even in biohazard suits?

4 hours ago, JB0 said:

Based on the trailer, it is Pacific Rim fanfic.

That's a pretty good summary, now I think about it.

4 hours ago, JB0 said:

Point 1: Why is everything so freaking CLEAN?

Pacific Rim's hardware and bases all looked like they were where work happens. They were grungy and greasy and scuffed and scraped, on top of just being very utilitarian.

This trailer presents a world where everyone has just barely had time to unload the Apple truck and MAYBE remove the shipping protectors. They are not where work happens, they are where coffee is drank.

Well, to be fair, the contexts of the two movies are very different. The first takes place after a long, long war, with the Jaeger program being decommissioned and literally the last scraps of it being hodgepodged together for a final mission. The facilities and equipment had seen over a decade of use by then. The second, on the other hand, comes on the heels of those same decommissioned Jaeger programs saving the world; it stands to reason that funding for them would skyrocket and they would update their facilities.

...that said, I agree that it's way more Apple and not enough... Cowboy Bebop? That "lived-in" sci-fi.

4 hours ago, JB0 said:

Pont 2: WHY ARE THE JAEGARS SMALLER?

Seriously, there's two possibilities here.

A. they thought the kaiju were coming back, in which case the jaegars shoudl be built to, at a minimum, solo a category 5. That requires a lot more mass and leverage than these things have. If you are eye-level with a kaiju's crotch, you are not built to fight a kaiju.

Point 4: Are they using infantry with assault rifles? SERIOUSLY?  And not even in biohazard suits?

The in-universe reasoning seems spotty at best. I saw the regenerating kaiju at the end and wondered if it was maaaaybe a large Category 3 like the one that took out Gipsy in the beginning of the first movie. Maybe they've downsized because the kaiju sizes seem to be much more varied this time around as well. There seem to be human-sized kaiju (the mass of wormy ones, thus "necessitating" regular infantry) this time around in addition to the New Jaeger-sized ones and the Old Jaeger-sized one at the end of the trailer.

4 hours ago, JB0 said:

Point 3: Boyega just isn't as good at dramatic speechifying as Elba. This isn't really a slight on him, Elba just has a really powerful and commanding voice. Boyega has his strengths, Elba has different strengths, and they are asking Boyega to play to Elba's strengths instead of writing a part that works with Boyega.

Ah, the wordsmith himself.

18 hours ago, kajnrig said:

...that said, I agree that it's way more Apple and not enough... Cowboy Bebop? That "lived-in" sci-fi.

Right. That was my main thing. Not that it looks high-tech instead of run-down, just that it doesn't look like it has actually ever been USED. 

(Star Trek usually has a similar issue. Though at the rate they suffer plasma leaks, there may be a very good justification for the lack of grease stains in engineering. )

Oh well... it is more or less what I expected from a sequel, as disappointing as that actually is. Giant Robots: Uprising, whoo..

On 10/6/2017 at 1:16 PM, wm cheng said:

We must agree to disagree...  Maybe its the bright daylight, but it "flattens" the cityscape behind the robots and makes them "pop" out of the scene.  The new suits are soft spandex, where as the original suits are "hard" suits like an astronault (they had to hold liquid to suspend the pilots from the inertia & g-forces).  Yes, I don't like darkness to hide stuff, but the rain definitely added depth and reflections to the nighttime battle sequences that this daytime sequence looks so flat - there weren't even reflections of the robots in the glass of the office towers.  Also there's just no comparison between DoubleNegative (VFX for this movie) and ILM (VFX for the original) they aren't even in a similar ballpark. 

Maybe that's why they can move like they have no weight or size and just dance about with martial arts!  But yes, the original Jaegers were like taller than skyscrapers (50-60 stories) and now they all look to be around 15-25 stories tall.  They move and fight just like Transformers - argh!

Agreed.  I'm disappointed so far with the trailer and how unrealistic they've gone with the Jaeger scale and movement.  The first film had a sense of tension and suspense in the battles because you knew the kaiju had superior speed and reflexes.  It was down to the pilots to outsmart the animal instinct.

Edited by ZorClone

I've not read any spoilers at all, but the impression that I get from this trailer is that after defeating the Kaiju in the first film, the various nations of the world didn't just put the Jaeger genie back in its bottle; it seems like now they're using Jaeger's in military actions.  That explains the Jaeger on Jaeger fights, the exploding control room, etc.  Then the Kaiju come back and Pentecost Jr. has to rally a fighting force out of previously hostile elements.

But that's just my ramblings, and again, based on nothing but what I thought I saw in the trailer.

Either way, I'm a Day 1 viewing for this baby.  I loved the first, and I'm sure I'll love this one too :)

With the kaiju combining to form the big one (yes? I was under the impression it was a kaiju regenerating, but people seem to have gotten the impression that it's all the little ones coming together...), I'm willing to bet the Jaegers will also combine into a Gipsy 1.0-size behemoth, in the tradition of the best super robots.

43 minutes ago, kajnrig said:

With the kaiju combining to form the big one (yes? I was under the impression it was a kaiju regenerating, but people seem to have gotten the impression that it's all the little ones coming together...), I'm willing to bet the Jaegers will also combine into a Gipsy 1.0-size behemoth, in the tradition of the best super robots.

You know what? An awesome Jaegar Voltron will allow me to forgive most of the film's flaws. 

To me, it looks like Earth is being attacked by aliens... perhaps the same antagonists from the first movie. Only this time, they're taking matters into their own hands. They've produced jaeger-like machines to counter Earth's defenses, which is why we see jaeger-on-jaeger combat. We see other large robots that are non-terrestrial in looks, plus the classic kaijus.

• 1 month later...

Bandai brings us HG kits of the Avenger, Bracer and Cylon Jaeger, with light-up option, weapons and partly inner frames and competitive pricing:

Gipsy Avenger (HG) (Plastic model)

Gipsy Avenger DX Set (HG) (Plastic model)

Bracer Phoenix (HG) (Plastic model)

Obsidian Fury (HG) (Plastic model)