Mildly curious... is there anything announced for the Switch in the TRPG category yet?  It was Fire Emblem: Awakening that really got me to use my 3DS, so I'm kind of waiting for something in the strategy category before I take the plunge on buying a Switch.

15 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Mildly curious... is there anything announced for the Switch in the TRPG category yet?  It was Fire Emblem: Awakening that really got me to use my 3DS, so I'm kind of waiting for something in the strategy category before I take the plunge on buying a Switch.

An unnamed mainline Fire Emblem game (i.e not the Fire Emblem Warriors action spin-off) has been announced for a 2018 release.

On 2/1/2018 at 9:48 AM, Seto Kaiba said:

TRPG?

Does Project Octopath count? Plus Squarenix also just released Lost Sphear.

20 hours ago, UN Spacy said:

TRPG?

Does Project Octopath count? Plus Squarenix also just released Lost Sphear.

14 hours ago, Lorindor said:

Since he mentioned Fire Emblem, I assumed he meant Tactical RPG, a common classification of that type of game.

What @Lorindor said.

I've always been mainly interested in RPGs and strategy games, or really anything that's heavily narrative-driven (e.g. stealth games like Dishonored or even the so-called "walking simulators" if the story's good).  Nintendo's last few generations of console have all had fairly lousy third party developer support so they've been painfully platformer-heavy.  That kinda left games like PokemonFire Emblem, and Project X Zone as the main draw to their consoles for me.  My friends and girlfriend get more use out of my Wii U than I ever did, since I mostly use Virtual Console and visual novels on my 3DS to get my kicks... how stuff like the Zero Escape trilogy1 slipped Nintendo's kid-friendly net I'll never know.

I'm kind of hoping the lack of a really obviously terrible gimmick on the Nintendo Switch will provoke more support from third party devs and result in a more varied catalog, but I'm waiting for at least two or three titles up my alley before I actually jump.  Right now, the only big draw for me is Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition and the vague promise of a 2018 Switch-exclusive Fire Emblem.  (Be nice if we could get the remastered port of 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors and Virtue's Last Reward that the PS4 recently got.)

For anyone who's got one, what's the battery life in actual usage like on the Switch?  Once bitten, twice shy after the Wii U's gamepad battery.

1. 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors for the DS was a real slap in the face... was NOT expecting something with that much gory death and sexual innuendo on a Nintendo console.  That the 3DS picked up both sequels, Virtue's Last Reward and Zero Time Dilemma was incredibly gratifying.

2 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

For anyone who's got one, what's the battery life in actual usage like on the Switch?  Once bitten, twice shy after the Wii U's gamepad battery.

Been awhile since I played on a Wii U, so I can't say if it's better or worse.  I think I got around 3 hours on a charge while playing Zelda.  That's not ideal in a portable, I suppose, but it charges pretty fast and there are USB-C battery packs (there's an Anker one that's pretty well-reviewed) that'll help.

Personally, I just bought a second dock.  One in the living room, one in my bedroom.  I like that I can use it as a portable for an hour or two here and there when I know I need some portable gaming, but I play docked more than not.

18 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

What @Lorindor said.

I've always been mainly interested in RPGs and strategy games, or really anything that's heavily narrative-driven (e.g. stealth games like Dishonored or even the so-called "walking simulators" if the story's good).  Nintendo's last few generations of console have all had fairly lousy third party developer support so they've been painfully platformer-heavy.  That kinda left games like PokemonFire Emblem, and Project X Zone as the main draw to their consoles for me.  My friends and girlfriend get more use out of my Wii U than I ever did, since I mostly use Virtual Console and visual novels on my 3DS to get my kicks... how stuff like the Zero Escape trilogy1 slipped Nintendo's kid-friendly net I'll never know.

I'm kind of hoping the lack of a really obviously terrible gimmick on the Nintendo Switch will provoke more support from third party devs and result in a more varied catalog, but I'm waiting for at least two or three titles up my alley before I actually jump.  Right now, the only big draw for me is Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition and the vague promise of a 2018 Switch-exclusive Fire Emblem.  (Be nice if we could get the remastered port of 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors and Virtue's Last Reward that the PS4 recently got.)

1. 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors for the DS was a real slap in the face... was NOT expecting something with that much gory death and sexual innuendo on a Nintendo console.  That the 3DS picked up both sequels, Virtue's Last Reward and Zero Time Dilemma was incredibly gratifying.

WiiU Gamepad battery is not a fair comparison.  That was a gamepad to a console on screen that only lasted three hours.  If you’re doing the same with Switch it’s docked and you get normal wireless gamepad life.  Undocked you’re getting an overpowered portable you can actually take somewhere and in that case you get three hours of battery life, but that’s to power the whole damn thing anywhere.

5 hours ago, Mommar said:

WiiU Gamepad battery is not a fair comparison.  That was a gamepad to a console on screen that only lasted three hours.  If you’re doing the same with Switch it’s docked and you get normal wireless gamepad life.  Undocked you’re getting an overpowered portable you can actually take somewhere and in that case you get three hours of battery life, but that’s to power the whole damn thing anywhere.

Granted, it's not a fair comparison from a hardware standpoint since the Wii U gamepad was little more than an elaborate remote display that could be used like an overpowered portable device provided you didn't stray too far from the console itself, where the Switch simply IS an overpowered portable device with a dock that turns it into a more traditional console and thus is placing a lot more burden on its Li+ battery.

On the other hand, from a usability standpoint three hours is three hours unless you've got an external power source.

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, UN Spacy said:

Never played either Bayonetta...OMG...it's so much fun.

I'd highly recommend it if you've never played it on PS3, Wii U, or PC.

I played the original on the Xbox 360. I was interested in the sequel, but lost interest in the Wii U before it came out. Luckily the Switch is getting ports of some of the better Wii U games. I just got both Bayonetta games for it

• 2 weeks later...

I'm actually glad for the Wii U ports. I gave up on the Wii U pretty early on, so I'm happy to have a second chance on a lot of these. I just need them to do Tokyo Mirage Sessions FE and I'll be good.

Yeah at least two new characters shown, newer logo, plus the creator is working on it. Since the last smash released in 2014 then some DLC it wouldn’t surprise me if they’ve secretly been working on it for some time. 

• 3 weeks later...

I lovingly refer to BOTW as "Grand Theft Hyrule."

Just really love the open sandbox feel of the game.  So much to explore, so many different ways to beat the random bad guy hordes.  

And I love the fact that I can climb any stinking mountain just for the heck of it (or to find the most obscure of Korok nuts)!