Honestly I think most of the big-box devs were waiting to see how the switch was going to fair before they even committed to anything big.

The Pokemon guy thought the switch would fail hard-core because he thought it couldn't compete with mobile devices. That's why their first game on the switch is just a port of Pokken and not an actual Pokemon title.

Even Nintendo didn't have a lot of original titles ready to go near launch

Zelda botw basically is a Wii U port

Mario Kart mk8D is a Wii U port

Splatoon 2 is basically Splatoon 1.5

The only super original new title is Arms. Mario Odyssey and fire emblem warriors will follow in the next 2 months.

Now that many devs are seeing the popularity of the switch they want to get in on the Nintendo switch money train. Unfortunately all they have to offer is ports of older games since it'd be much faster than making something new from scratch.

If the switch is still strong in a year or two then perhaps we'll finally begin to see some switch-centric third-party titles appear. Until then only expect a bunch of cash-grab ports from third-parties.

Either way, I am satisfied with the two switches me and my wife have. It's the best mobile system we've ever had and quite a fun set top console from time to time.

On a side note, while Skyrim on Switch def sounds nice... like... ugh Vanilla Skyrim? PC Modded skyrim with high resolution boobies, realistic booby physics and scanty clothing or bust. *PC Master Race!!*

Edited by Duymon

6 hours ago, Mommar said:

The PS2 was underpowered and a cluster-f**k to program for but it was popular so everybody buckled down and worked on it.  It should have been abandoned for the Gamecube and XBox which were both more powerful and tons easier to program for. Third parties are a bunch of anti-Nintendo liars making the adage that third parties don't succeed on Nintendo hardware by wither sabotaging their products to prove the point and/or abandoning the machine even when it's selling well when there is no reason.  Tking is repeating the same nonsense adage.

The PS2 also came out before the Gamecube and Xbox and both 1) had accrued a customer base the other two couldn't hope to match, and 2) continued to consistently sell more units until the end of the generation. Developing/co-developing games for the PS2 was worth the trouble of dealing with its unique micro-architecture.

The Switch is outselling the PS4 and Xbone right now, but both of those had years to gather a whole bunch of customers. There's no doubt that as it continues to sell, the incentive to develop for it will grow, but comparing it to the PS2 is not apples to apples.

3 hours ago, UN Spacy said:

DIRECT IN 20 MINS

i watched it. octopath traveler and mario odyssey looking good.

Doom and Wolfenstein were a surprise. Will prolly Nab doom when it's in sale.

Dragon quest builders looks like a minecraft rip off but will still prolly get.

Still unsure if I care about xenoblade 2.

that New Mario version switch and deep red mario joycons look noice. might nab a pair of those joycons :D

Edited by Duymon

If Bethesda can get Doom running at the same buttery smooth 60fps that it was on the PS4 and X1, then that will be an experience. Even with a resolution down-grade, playing that portable will be one hell of a time. I personally feel the new Doom was one of the best, tightest, most well made first person shooters in years, it was an incredible game, literally everything about it.

2 hours ago, UN Spacy said:

Couldn't find a 3DS thread...anyone nabbing Samus Returns today?

I preordered at Amazon, so the mail guy just brought it a little bit ago.

It's kind of funny, I like the potential of the Switch a lot, but I still only own three physical games and maybe three or four downloads. The only stuff I'm planning to pick up for it is Mario Odyssey and Fire Emblem Warriors.

So I'm going to Shenzhen for a month, and decided to take my 3DS instead. Even made a list of games from its backlog to pick up and ensure that I have enough to play. For portability, I've taken the game cards out of their cases and got these Hori cases that hold 24 carts each. I've got room for 11 carts in the third case as of this posting. There's maybe four or five more I'm going to try to grab before my trip. When I get back to the States I'll probably order a fourth Hori case to store the games that are coming out after I leave and into next year.

47 minutes ago, mikeszekely said:

I preordered at Amazon, so the mail guy just brought it a little bit ago.

It's kind of funny, I like the potential of the Switch a lot, but I still only own three physical games and maybe three or four downloads. The only stuff I'm planning to pick up for it is Mario Odyssey and Fire Emblem Warriors.

I have the opposite reaction.  You haven't touched my 3DS since the Switch was released.  I picked it up last night to play Metroid and thought, " I really don't want to carry this thing around anymore."  Other than have ng a giant Mugen battery so it runs forever I don't want tonise it anymore.  Plus the battery cover is effing uncomfortable to hold.  Once I finish metroid tjat's it for the 3DS.

On 9/15/2017 at 1:16 PM, Mommar said:

I have the opposite reaction.  You haven't touched my 3DS since the Switch was released.  I picked it up last night to play Metroid and thought, " I really don't want to carry this thing around anymore."  Other than have ng a giant Mugen battery so it runs forever I don't want tonise it anymore.  Plus the battery cover is effing uncomfortable to hold.  Once I finish metroid tjat's it for the 3DS.

This is my main concern for the dynamics Nintendo has brought upon itself with the release of the Switch. While they're not so strong in the console wars, they've dominated the handheld market since 1989. Are they just playing to their strengths with the Switch? Are they planning on simply merging their gaming concepts? Do they know that the Switch will kill all future handheld sales?

5 hours ago, frothymug said:

This is my main concern for the dynamics Nintendo has brought upon itself with the release of the Switch. While they're not so strong in the console wars, they've dominated the handheld market since 1989. Are they just playing to their strengths with the Switch? Are they planning on simply merging their gaming concepts? Do they know that the Switch will kill all future handheld sales?

Why is it a problem?  Because I don't want to use my old handheld?

As I said: Nintendo has dominated the handheld market since the introduction of the Game Boy in 1989. With the Switch, they're blurring the lines between the console and handheld markets. It's either a genius move, or it may kill their advantage. I'm just concerned about the changing dynamics.

So I went to failstop and picked up a switch for my sister in law because she said wanted one, then after i bought it she said she already got one .....

Anyone near Manhattan want a switch @ cost? if not gonna just return it on sunday after my work week ends :D

WP_20170922_19_35_53_Pro.thumb.jpg.70f35a761873819694f807296be51131.jpg

4 hours ago, Duymon said:

So I went to failstop and picked up a switch for my sister in law because she said wanted one, then after i bought it she said she already got one .....

Anyone near Manhattan want a switch @ cost? if not gonna just return it on sunday after my work week ends :D

WP_20170922_19_35_53_Pro.thumb.jpg.70f35a761873819694f807296be51131.jpg

I'm not near Manhattan but I'd buy it for my Brother and Nephew.

• 3 weeks later...

Can't keep track of all these games...FE Warriors and Odyssey this month...Doom and Xenoblade Chronicles 2 next month.  Plus all the gems on the eShop...torn between Stardew Valley and Gold Story.

13 minutes ago, Sildani said:

About to get a Switch. Any advice?

Also, any chance of getting a Tekken game on here, anyone know?

Advice?  Get a good screen protector.  I got one of the Orzly Ultra Slim Tempered Glass Screen protectors and it's been great.  Get a big memory card.  At least 128 gb but if you can swing the cash for something like 256/512 go for it.  If you plan to use the thing in portable a lot getting a decent carrying case and an extra AC adapter is really useful.  And if you're planning to do a lot of gaming in the living room just get a Pro Controller.

Not sure about Tekken.  The Namco produced Pokken Tournament DX was re-released on the Switch so maybe Namco has some experience with the system but all I've heard so far was that the producer for Tekken said they were looking at the system but there was nothing definite.  A lot of games are hitting the system now so maybe Third Parties will finally jump in hard and we'll see one.  I'd love Tekken on the system personally.  More games on the go is good.

Edited by Mommar