6 minutes ago, mcfly50 said:

Is there any special contract with Sony that would prevent a Macross game for the switch? I would buy Macross Delta or Macross 30 in a heartbeat. 

Honestly... no clue whatsoever.

I'd buy Macross or Gundam anything at this point for the switch, especially considering how easy the eshop works.

32 minutes ago, Duymon said:

Honestly... no clue whatsoever.

I'd buy Macross or Gundam anything at this point for the switch, especially considering how easy the eshop works.

SO IN FOR THAT.

Only thing preventing them from making a Macross game for Switch is the market and development. They can 'port a current gen game to another console if there is value in doing so. But 'porting a game to a different console means time in development and QA. If the time-&-money spent 'porting to a different console doesn't yield a return, then there's little value in doing so. As for a new game; again, same principal. If the Switch yields a large enough base, then there might be value in creating a Macross game. Same goes for a Gundam game.

I've read a lot of negative feedback about other than the frame rate drops on Zelda, but dead pixels, software glitches galore, scratched screens, sliding your joy cons in the wrong rails causing them to get stuck and odd shrieks and beeps coming from the speakers. I think my biggest concern would be the dead pixels and wondering if anyone's come across that yet? That stuff really drives me nuts so I tend to avoid anything that has a high likelyhood until it's resolved with a later release.

Still though, I've been kind of getting twitchy and been wanting to try getting one. However 5 stores in and I can't find the damn thing so I'm rather surprised how fast it's been selling out. Even tried looking for a Wii U out of curiosity and they're all gone too! I know they stopped game production for that console but by god never seen a console sell out to zero on hand so damn fast.

2 hours ago, Hikuro said:

I've read a lot of negative feedback about other than the frame rate drops on Zelda, but dead pixels, software glitches galore, scratched screens, sliding your joy cons in the wrong rails causing them to get stuck and odd shrieks and beeps coming from the speakers. I think my biggest concern would be the dead pixels and wondering if anyone's come across that yet? That stuff really drives me nuts so I tend to avoid anything that has a high likelyhood until it's resolved with a later release.

Still though, I've been kind of getting twitchy and been wanting to try getting one. However 5 stores in and I can't find the damn thing so I'm rather surprised how fast it's been selling out. Even tried looking for a Wii U out of curiosity and they're all gone too! I know they stopped game production for that console but by god never seen a console sell out to zero on hand so damn fast.

No weird issues, no dead pixels, no scratches nothing but the frame rate drops and some WiFi issues (that were resolved by switching to my 5GHz network).

I'll note, though, that I got a Pro Controller and I basically never remove the Joy-cons.

As for the Wii U... have you tried used? I know that new ones are basically gone, but my dad bought one at GameStop. And they apparently has enough to swap that one out when it wouldn't output to the TV.

2 hours ago, Hikuro said:

The frame dope on Zelda are way overblown.  It's not like the game chugs along at 18fps for some extended period of time.  It's a momentary slip when they're streaming new data.

I haven't experienced a software glitch of any kind.  Not like that's a unique thing to Nintendo anyway...

No dead pixels on mine.

If you're stupid enough to put your JoyCons on backwards/upside down you shouldn't be able to hold a job to afford a Switch anyway.

Unless there are some manufacturer defects I'm assuming the people with scratched screens are WAY more rough with their touch than they think (and I feel sorry for their girlfriends...) or they're scratching it other ways and then lying about it.  My system is docked and undocked multiple times a day, no scratches.

No shreiks or beeps from my speakers.

Now one worrisome thing.  The system was in my jacket pocket, and I wasn't wearing my jacket.  It was hanging over the back of a chair.  Somehow it was powered on and unlocked so Zelda was running and the back got MASSIVELY hot.  I can't figure out how it could be powered on so easily when it wasn't near anybody,  I was helping my Mom practice standing on the other side of her room at the time. 

Good to know all of these things. Local Walmart just down the road said they MIGHT have Switches in stock tomorrow by 7AM or as late as Monday, as much as I wanna get one and have some fun for a change, I don't think I'm gonna rush it and wait in line with several people wondering if the store got enough or not.

4 hours ago, Hikuro said:

It's pretty much like that at every console launch.  It's only been a week since launch so it would be hard to find until re-stock .

Dang, I hope I didn't do any permanent damage.  As luck would have it I brought my Mom a Streak for lunch so I had a cooler full of blue ice packs.  I was able to lay the Switch on one.  In under five minutes it was back to normal temperature.  So far everything seems to be running again.  It was actually quite impressive how hot it was and the game was still functioning at all.

K wow, so the walmart thing was a bust which doesn't surprise me. I am however surprised as I was basically lectured by a clerk when I approached her asking if the console restock had happened like the guy told me yesterday. Got like this big ear full of how she KNOWS how stock is allocated and how dare I tell her any differently and it'll come in when it comes in. Just uncomfortable, I was cordial, polite, I didn't talk back to her or anything but she just kept going lol.

I ended the conversation with my usual no problem have a good day and left with a phone number and email to contact the store manager after talking to someone about the behavior.

think I'll call around to a few game stores....they usually refresh quicker than big box stores.

...they always planned on doing 2 million before the end of March. Hopefully they've already begun ramping up production. Plus they need to keep the games going so it doesn't end up like the Wii U which I don't think will happen this time. 

On 2/22/2017 at 6:07 PM, kajnrig said:

What interests/worries me more about the storage limitations is how storing on various media (game card, internal storage, SD card, possibly USB 3.0 hard drive when in enclosure) will affect gameplay. The SDHC/XC/etc. standard has significantly lower read/write speeds than even USB 3.0, which MUST itself be lower than game card speeds, which in turn is almost assuredly lower than internal storage speeds.

The problem only gets exacerbated when you take into account the wildly variable real-world speeds at which different SD cards operate. And there will almost assuredly be situations where the game files are split between multiple sources. Will Nintendo provide an easy way to transfer data from one SD card to another and/or from one medium to another (SD to USB, USB to internal, etc.)? Since the game cards are ROMs, will game updates default to internal storage or SD/USB and/or allow you to choose? Will it be left to developers to decide what data gets stored where, and will there be contingencies in place if one storage medium is unavailable? 

The storage issue was one of the major flaws of the otherwise mostly-positive Switch announcement. With such little space, there are a lot of questions that need answering, and Nintendo being coy/reluctant/vague with their answers hasn't exactly instilled me with confidence in that aspect of the system.

But then again, I never owned a 3DS or Vita, the most comparable point of reference (aside from maybe smart phones) for this kind of thing; maybe storage issues weren't as much a problem as I'm thinking they will be.

It seems that I was wrong here, partly. Loading times actually go, from fastest to slowest:

- internal storage

- SD cards (wtf)

- game cartridges

It's so odd because you would expect they would want their proprietary game cartridge format to be faster than the other external storage medium.

Edited by kajnrig

Some parts of the Switch make me think it was designed to a budget, and the cart port and the carts themselves were done so. Doesn't bother me at all; Nintendo has never been at the forefront of speed or power, not since the SNES and it's Mode 7 hardware scaling and then, Starfox with its VX chipset built in. That's the last time I can remember Nintendo being excited about silicon. Ever since, Big N has been ga-ga over experiences and methods of gameplay... not always to its benefit. 

4 hours ago, Sildani said:

Some parts of the Switch make me think it was designed to a budget, and the cart port and the carts themselves were done so. Doesn't bother me at all; Nintendo has never been at the forefront of speed or power, not since the SNES and it's Mode 7 hardware scaling and then, Starfox with its VX chipset built in. That's the last time I can remember Nintendo being excited about silicon. Ever since, Big N has been ga-ga over experiences and methods of gameplay... not always to its benefit. 

Ahem, the Gamecube was more powerful than the PS2.

6 hours ago, UN Spacy said:
Nintendo is DOUBLING Switch production.

From what I've read the initial production run of Switch consoles was smaller then the first production run for the Wii-U, so I certainly hope this is the case. Nintendo never creates enough hardware to meet initial demand, whether on accident or on purpose.

read an article tonight that said starting tomorrow Toys R Us will be replenishing their stock....so I called up the local stores and they pretty much rejected that. But Gamestop would be seeing the 22nd, and Amazon on the 31st. Just gonna keep my eyes pealed I suppose.

12 hours ago, Mommar said:

So I finally stumbled across my very first Guardian tonight.  Took me awhile, eh?  Anyway, by pure dumb-ass luck I think I've found the easiest method to destroy them and it only takes three hits.

The big crawly ones? I mean, I'm like 80 hours in, over 80 shrines down and actively hunting Guardians for drops. The stationary ones aren't too bad, and the little crawly guys are no trouble, but the big ones still take a beating even with the Master Sword. So I'm curious about your method.

4 hours ago, mikeszekely said:

The big crawly ones? I mean, I'm like 80 hours in, over 80 shrines down and actively hunting Guardians for drops. The stationary ones aren't too bad, and the little crawly guys are no trouble, but the big ones still take a beating even with the Master Sword. So I'm curious about your method.

You'll kick yourself when you hear this.  I ran into my very first one, didn't know what to do.  Stood and waited for it to shoot to see if I could dodge the shot and get that whole slow motion slashing thing.  Messed up, hit the parry button instead and... Knocked the blast back into its eye.  More than a third of its health dropped.  I tried it again, was slightly too slow and deflected the blast to the left but my shield was destroyed.  Equipped new shield, was too late parrying again and lost that shield.  Tried a third time, timing was on, only a sliver of its health remained.  Did it a third time, killed it.  Reloaded my game and took that thing down in three parries.  Honestly took the fear factor from those things down to disappointing levels all because my clumsy 36 year old thumbs can't hit buttons correct anymore.

Just now, mikeszekely said:

Oh, ok. Yeah, I knew you could do that (it's one of the few ways to kill the flying ones). But I suck at doing the party move.

There are flying ones?

The timing is pretty easy.  When the screen flashes you want to parry.  I got the timing down pretty good and my reaction time is horrible now.

2 hours ago, Mommar said:

Right after asking about it I ran into two.  The timing on the parry is different.

Maybe that's why I sucked at it?

For the regular crawly ones, I just Stasis them then run up and cut their legs off with the Master Sword.  They're stunned for a moment when they lose a leg.  And if it loses all its legs and still wants to attack Stasis will have recharged, so I just hit 'em again then finish 'em off.  Because they're corrupted by Ganon, the Master Sword does double damage to them and it'll last long enough to kill three or four.

Now Lynels... I've yet to come up with a system that reliably takes them out without breaking two or three weapons in the process.  At least I've upgraded my armor enough to not die in two hits from them, though.

9 hours ago, mikeszekely said:

Maybe that's why I sucked at it?

For the regular crawly ones, I just Stasis them then run up and cut their legs off with the Master Sword.  They're stunned for a moment when they lose a leg.  And if it loses all its legs and still wants to attack Stasis will have recharged, so I just hit 'em again then finish 'em off.  Because they're corrupted by Ganon, the Master Sword does double damage to them and it'll last long enough to kill three or four.

Now Lynels... I've yet to come up with a system that reliably takes them out without breaking two or three weapons in the process.  At least I've upgraded my armor enough to not die in two hits from them, though.

Guardians are pretty trivial after a while.

As for the Lynels, they are arguably the toughest bosses in the game. I had to farm lynels to get parts to upgrade the barbarian set but after maxxing out L4 on the barbarian sets I farm Lynels for their weapons which are better than even the Major Test Guardian Shrine weaps (white/silver lynel only)

Lynel strategy differs from person to person. red and Blues are ez to kill if you have Stasis and urbosa. Just stasis and they do 2x urbosas and they pretty much dead. 

Prep

• Stasis+ is a must-have
  • Have a lot of bows and arrows available
  • Have max DPS (3 set barbarian, 3-set ancient if using guardian weaps or max attack pot)

Basic Strat

• Stay short/med range so that lynel never uses his bow.
  • When lynel charges, statis+ him and quickly headshot him to stagger
  • After stagger, run in, get a hit, then run out while he does sweep melee. After sweep melee headshot him again. 2nd stagger usually results in long stagger where you can then climb on his back and hit him (does similar dmg to flurry rush)

If Lynel has Sword/Shield

• If Lynel is sword and board follow basic strat but when he recovers from his first headshot you can just stay in close and do multiple Flurry rushes (his 1h sword attack is super easy to flurry rush)

If Lynel has 2h Club

• Never try to flurry rush. Back off after he begins his spin attack animation and shoot his head to stagger and set-up a mount-attack

If Lynel starts doing fire breath attack

• Rush at an angle to close in, then either prep for flurry rush (vs 1h) or retreat-headshot-mount atk (vs 2h)

Silver/White Lynel does huge roar with Wind FX

• Sprint Far away to avoid blast, then afterwards do statis -> headshot -> close in.