8 hours ago, kajnrig said:

Not exactly. The Switch overclocks, but it also (presumably) ups the rendering resolution to 1080p.

Digital Foundry's look at Zelda: BotW gives some nice insight into how the Switch behaves. In portable mode, the game runs at a native 720p (same resolution as the Switch screen) at a constant 30fps. In docked mode, the game runs at 900p and the framerate can dip down to 20fps.

The CPU clocks in both modes is the same, but the GPU clock in docked mode is at least double that of portable (768 MHz docked, 384 or 307 MHz portable). The dips in framerate either have to do with streaming data from storage (ie that data transfer rate problem I mentioned a few posts ago) or the double buffering vsync strategy they're using.

But as an example of what I meant, it would be nice if the portable mode could get the same 768 MHz GPU speed to perhaps push the framerate from 720p30 to 720p60. Or, for that matter, running the docked mode in portable mode so that you can get the smoother gameplay of the portable mode rather than the higher-res but worse-performing docked mode.

That being said, these problems seem to be more the fault of the game than the hardware. It doesn't exactly paint a clear picture of the console's limitations/abilities.

OK, early impressions:

-The thing reminds me of an Android tablet... until you put the Joycons on it. Then it's like a Wii U Gamepad, but thinner and lighter and made of better materials.

-That kickstand is awfully creaky though.

-Battery life is meh. I played for about an hour, hour and a half. System went from full to 69%.

-Hope you got a game, because there is really nothing else you can do with a Switch. Not a lot of games are available yet, either... I count just 9 in the eShop.

-It's portable, but not portable, if you get me. I mean, I can sort of see why Nintendo is saying that the Switch isn't replacing the 3DS. You could toss it in a bag, but it's not particularly pocketable. And that's just the console with Joycons attached... the so-so battery means you're probably going to want to bring the charger, too.

-Make sure to clear out a drawer space for accessories you're not using, like those side panels with the wrist straps for the Joycons. Or the controller grip for the Joycons.

-Speaking of, the grip is better than naked Joycons for tabletop/TV modes, but if you're planning on using your Switch as a non-handheld I do recommend the Pro Controller. No major bells and whistles, but it's solid and comfortable.

-Switching between docked and not docked is basically as seamless as advertised, which is good since that seems to be the big selling point.

-Dunno about the other launch games, but the new Zelda is pretty good.

It's not the most powerful machine on the block, but the ability to transition between playing the TV and playing as a handheld jives with my current life situation. Right now, if a game comes out and I have the option of PS4 or Switch I'm going to go for the Switch version, even if that means taking a performance hit.

Finally got to pick up the Switch.  It really isn't terribly convenient to carry around with you without some sort of bag/case which is too bad considering I find it far more convenient to play handheld than the bit of TV playing I attempted a few minutes ago.  The battery life sucks.  That really hampers it.  Really bad.  I'd have preferred the Switch be slightly thicker and heavier if it meant the entirety of the back of the thing were a massive battery.  To be honest if the thing were a bit thicker it would be easier for me to hold.  A lot of big-handed people have said it's pretty comfortable but I have pretty small hands and I don't find it all that comfortable to hold.  I'd prefer so add-on grips or something. 

The built-in stand sucks.  It's flimsy and doesn't adjust to any sort of really useful angle.

Zelda is effing fun, however.  I haven't tried out Bomberman yet.  I downloaded the full version of Shovel Knight, I Am Setsuna and Fast RMX.  Fast is a pretty good racing game.  Kind of a cross between F-Zero and Wipeout.  Looks excellent too.  I only wish I could transfer some music to my memory card and play that instead of the in-game tracks.

It's too bad I don't live in Japan, Europe or Australia as they all got between three (Japan) and six (Oz) Neo Geo games on the eShop as well.  Though I suppose I could create a new account in a different Country and download them that way since the system isn't region locked.

2 hours ago, Mommar said:

The battery life sucks.

Duymon mentioned a page back that the batteries should at least be fairly easily replaceable, being connected via a simple pin connector. Maybe/Likely a larger-capacity battery will come out in the near future, just as one did for the Wii U controller. If not Nintendo, then almost assuredly a third party.

I think it's pretty good so far. I don't like holding the Joy-cons when they are connected to the grip (they're just so small and I think the holding angles are strange), but it's okay when I hold them loose. I tried putting on the Joy-con side fillers with the straps to fill out the rough connector surfaces, but it's clear those are only meant to be there when one hold the Joy-cons individually and sideways. I will definitely be investing in a Pro Controller in a near future.

There's a Teardown of the switch that shows the modularity. I really hope there's a better battery for sale some day considering how easy it would be to swap (after you manage to open it after taking off a lot of screws) Joycons also have easily replaceable batteries too. Just happy that crap isn't soldered in.

https://www.engadget.com/2017/03/04/nintendo-switch-ifixit-teardown-joy-con/

As for Zelda docked vs Portable, the screen is so small that honestly, my eyes can't see graphical issues with dropping down to 720p when going portable.  

Game still looks great on portable and the most impressive thing for me is the speakers in portable mode. They sound so loud and nice compared to my PS Vita Slim.

As for portability... 

I admit the switch is noticeably bigger than my vita. My messenger bag has a padded pocket for portable and the switch will fit only if I detach the Joycons which seems like a hassle.

I'll have to get a decent hard-case for it and put it in the main compartment of my bag along with my tablet I guess.

WP_20170304_14_04_45_Pro.thumb.jpg.4899dad7d6a09c00494b455dcaa365bf.jpg

9 hours ago, kajnrig said:

Duymon mentioned a page back that the batteries should at least be fairly easily replaceable, being connected via a simple pin connector. Maybe/Likely a larger-capacity battery will come out in the near future, just as one did for the Wii U controller. If not Nintendo, then almost assuredly a third party.

I don't know, I watched a teardown of the Switch and the battery is not as easy to reach as the WiiU controller.  There's internals for cooling built on top of it and it appears tjere's adhesive holding the battery in place too.  I did wonder if someone would come up with a way to create a larger battery.  Hell, a slightly thicker system would be easier for me to hold. Make a battery the size of the whole back of the damn thing.  But that would screw up docking then.

35 minutes ago, Mommar said:

I don't know, I watched a teardown of the Switch and the battery is not as easy to reach as the WiiU controller.  There's internals for cooling built on top of it and it appears tjere's adhesive holding the battery in place too.  I did wonder if someone would come up with a way to create a larger battery.  Hell, a slightly thicker system would be easier for me to hold. Make a battery the size of the whole back of the damn thing.  But that would screw up docking then.

Good point. People confirmed you could use external batteries via USB-C. Maybe a conformal battery pack will be a thing.

@Duymon Can the Joycons be used unconnected to the system in portable mode, or do they have to be clicked in? It would make looking for three separate items a bit of a hassle, but at least everything would fit.

1 minute ago, kajnrig said:

Good point. People confirmed you could use external batteries via USB-C. Maybe a conformal battery pack will be a thing.

@Duymon Can the Joycons be used unconnected to the system in portable mode, or do they have to be clicked in? It would make looking for three separate items a bit of a hassle, but at least everything would fit.

You can play portable mode with joycons detached or even attached to a grip no problem. Only issue is they won't be charging (as they're undocked from the unit) and that the kickstand of the switch is probably the weakest part about it (it feels kinda scary to put it in kickstand mode tbh)

22 hours ago, Mommar said:

Finally got to pick up the Switch.  It really isn't terribly convenient to carry around with you without some sort of bag/case which is too bad considering I find it far more convenient to play handheld than the bit of TV playing I attempted a few minutes ago.  The battery life sucks.  That really hampers it.  Really bad.  I'd have preferred the Switch be slightly thicker and heavier if it meant the entirety of the back of the thing were a massive battery.  To be honest if the thing were a bit thicker it would be easier for me to hold.  A lot of big-handed people have said it's pretty comfortable but I have pretty small hands and I don't find it all that comfortable to hold.  I'd prefer so add-on grips or something. 

The built-in stand sucks.  It's flimsy and doesn't adjust to any sort of really useful angle.

Zelda is effing fun, however.  I haven't tried out Bomberman yet.  I downloaded the full version of Shovel Knight, I Am Setsuna and Fast RMX.  Fast is a pretty good racing game.  Kind of a cross between F-Zero and Wipeout.  Looks excellent too.  I only wish I could transfer some music to my memory card and play that instead of the in-game tracks.

It's too bad I don't live in Japan, Europe or Australia as they all got between three (Japan) and six (Oz) Neo Geo games on the eShop as well.  Though I suppose I could create a new account in a different Country and download them that way since the system isn't region locked.

From what I hear, it's really easy to create an account for a different region.  You just need a different email address for each region.

I did wind up downloading Fast RMX.  Holy cow, is that game brutal!  I don't recall having too hard of a time with the Wipeout games, but even on the easiest difficulty I've yet to place better than 4th in a Championship.  I agree about the soundtrack... it's ok, but it's not Wipeout good.  Speaking of Wipeout, the phase switching gimmick is ok, but I'd gladly trade it for some rockets.

Has anybody tried out any of the screen protectors available for the Switch yet?  I'm considering one of the many tempered glass screen protectors but I am unsure which are quality.

Edited by Mommar

14 hours ago, mikeszekely said:

From what I hear, it's really easy to create an account for a different region.  You just need a different email address for each region.

I did wind up downloading Fast RMX.  Holy cow, is that game brutal!  I don't recall having too hard of a time with the Wipeout games, but even on the easiest difficulty I've yet to place better than 4th in a Championship.  I agree about the soundtrack... it's ok, but it's not Wipeout good.  Speaking of Wipeout, the phase switching gimmick is ok, but I'd gladly trade it for some rockets.

Funny, I had Fast Racing Neo on the WiiU, which RMX is a remix of, and the WiiU version is WAY harder than the Switch version is.  The Switch one almost seems too easy now.

Also, has anybody tried one of those fast charging portable batteries with the Switch yet?  I have to bring a wall-wart with me to my Moms because the battery just doesn't have the life it should.

Edited by Mommar

31 minutes ago, Mommar said:

Also, has anybody tried one of those fast charging portable batteries with the Switch yet?  I have to bring a wall-wart with me to my Moms because the battery just doesn't have the life it should.

The Digital Foundry review I posted a page or so back had them plugging in a battery bank and the Switch charging indicator turning on. Another video (I forget which) said something about only being able to charge it with the provided charger, but I wasn't sure exactly what they were talking about. Maybe they meant it used a specific voltage that most tablet/phone chargers aren't compatible with. Are you using the Nintendo wall charger, or one for a different device?

Either way, portable battery banks are confirmed to work.

1 hour ago, kajnrig said:

The Digital Foundry review I posted a page or so back had them plugging in a battery bank and the Switch charging indicator turning on. Another video (I forget which) said something about only being able to charge it with the provided charger, but I wasn't sure exactly what they were talking about. Maybe they meant it used a specific voltage that most tablet/phone chargers aren't compatible with. Are you using the Nintendo wall charger, or one for a different device?

Either way, portable battery banks are confirmed to work.

I'm using the charger that came with the system.  I caved in and bought a second one so I can have the dock at home plugged in all the time too.  I was looking around but couldn't find a review for a battery that could charge while in use.  Or, rather, while in use you only gain about an hour to hour and a half of life versus powering down and getting a full recharge for another three hours.  But that could have been the battery they were using.

4 hours ago, Mommar said:

Has anybody tried out any of the screen protectors available for the Switch yet?  I'm considering one of the many tempered glass screen protectors but I am unsure which are quality.

I've only used a plastic one (haven't even seen glass ones being sold in my region). I got the official one that came with a case. Good enough for me, I won't use it much in portable mode.

20 hours ago, Lorindor said:

I've only used a plastic one (haven't even seen glass ones being sold in my region). I got the official one that came with a case. Good enough for me, I won't use it much in portable mode.

The officially licensed PDP one's?

I've only seen tempered glass screen covers at online retailers.

5 hours ago, Mommar said:

The officially licensed PDP one's?

I've only seen tempered glass screen covers at online retailers.

I mean this one. May be Europe only, I dunno. It was the only one I could find locally on day one. I've seen a third party screen protector online that's not bundled with anything, but my local store wouldn't get it before mid-March for some stupid reason. That one was also some kind of plastic.

3max.jpg

4 hours ago, Lorindor said:

I mean this one. May be Europe only, I dunno. It was the only one I could find locally on day one. I've seen a third party screen protector online that's not bundled with anything, but my local store wouldn't get it before mid-March for some stupid reason. That one was also some kind of plastic.

3max.jpg

Yeah, that's the PDP one. Did the protector go on the screen easy?  It doesn't change the color of the screen any does it?

I went ahead and ordered a pair of Orzly Tempered Glass Screen Protectors.  Supposedly Oleophobic too.

Edited by Mommar

6 hours ago, Mommar said:

Yeah, that's the PDP one. Did the protector go on the screen easy?  It doesn't change the color of the screen any does it?

I went ahead and ordered a pair of Orzly Tempered Glass Screen Protectors.  Supposedly Oleophobic too.

The screen protector went on pretty easy. It did not come with a microcloth, but instead there was tape pieces that one was supposed to use to remove dust from the screen before application. It went quite alright. Could easily remove all bubbles by squeezing them out afterwards, but the protector seems to have had some small scratches out of the package, unfortunately. 

I never powered up the console before applying the protector, so it's hard to say if it changes the colors. I don't notice anything strange at least. 

Edited by Lorindor

I've only been able to play Zelda on and off so I'm not terribly far but I finally came across my first magic wilder today.  Not a TERRIBLE fight but the games combat really has a very Zelda-fied Witcher feel.  You have to be prepared, fights are going to be hard and you have to be more strategic.  I think the fight would have been harder had I been in open air instead of encountering this Wizard-thing in a cave because there seemed to be a lot of flaming debris raining from the sky outside both sides of the cave entrance.  Flame rod should be fun to mess with once I can get back to the game in the next few days.

3 hours ago, Mommar said:

I've only been able to play Zelda on and off so I'm not terribly far but I finally came across my first magic wilder today.  Not a TERRIBLE fight but the games combat really has a very Zelda-fied Witcher feel.  You have to be prepared, fights are going to be hard and you have to be more strategic.  I think the fight would have been harder had I been in open air instead of encountering this Wizard-thing in a cave because there seemed to be a lot of flaming debris raining from the sky outside both sides of the cave entrance.  Flame rod should be fun to mess with once I can get back to the game in the next few days.

You're apparently farther than me. I haven't seen any wizards.

I saw a Lynel, though. Gave him a wide berth. They were nasty in previous games, and I didn't feel like getting killed (again).

Had a weekend off to play Zelda. Wasted a lot of that time just trying out various recipes for cooking :p

The game is an absolute blast to play. Unfortunately, my switch's b button is rather unresponsive (need to hard press it before it registers a click, which means that in games like Zelda, i'll be running and randomly stop midway through the stamina bar falling; in menus, it takes 2 or 3 taps to get the button to actually register and back out of a sub-menu). 

Unfortunately, right now, seems Nintendo requires you to ship the whole unit back for them to "repair" it, even if it's just the joycon. Who knows how long that will take. Ended up purchasing an extra right joycon and eating the cost :unsure:

Atleast I have that blue/grey combo I wanted now