20 hours ago, Mommar said:

Damn, you came around in less than a week.

nah, I was totally ok with it after I saw that the dock sold separate for 90 bucks, meaning I could probably trade in the dock on Day 1 at  Failstop to recoup some of the funds to use towards a game.

5 hours ago, Duymon said:

nah, I was totally ok with it after I saw that the dock sold separate for 90 bucks, meaning I could probably trade in the dock on Day 1 at  Failstop to recoup some of the funds to use towards a game.

Regardless how you use it I hope you have fun.

7 hours ago, Duymon said:

Nintendo charging up the butt for hardware and accessories is the reason I felt nothing about hacking my Wii. Controllers are stupid overpriced, plastic covers are stupid overpriced, the CHARGING STAND is stupid overpriced... It's just some connectors and a fan. There's absolutely no way it costs anywhere near $50 to manufacture/ship, much less $90.

18 hours ago, kajnrig said:

Nintendo charging up the butt for hardware and accessories is the reason I felt nothing about hacking my Wii. Controllers are stupid overpriced, plastic covers are stupid overpriced, the CHARGING STAND is stupid overpriced... It's just some connectors and a fan. There's absolutely no way it costs anywhere near $50 to manufacture/ship, much less $90.

Charging stand I agree with, the controllers not so much.  They're packed with a lot of fancy tech.

I dunno. I'll have to see said tech in real-world action, not in Nintendo press releases, before I'm convinced they're a good value. $50 for a single Joycon, more than a Dualshock 4.

$70 for the Pro Controller (again, DS4 for <$50), $30 for a Joycon charging grip thing (which really should come included with the system)... The price quickly gets ridiculous. At least the steering wheel comes in a 2-pack for the $15 you spend.

Just left the Chicago event. My thoughts: the Switch is on point. Very innovative and fun. Just about all the controller configurations are comfortable for my massive hands and the one that wasn't was not the one I thought it be. Pro Controller is definitely worth it. The console is much smaller than you think, really about iPad mini size but has some heft without being heavy. The screen is amazing and switching from docked to handheld was seamless and quick. As long as the games are there Nintendo has a hit on their hands. 

What interests/worries me more about the storage limitations is how storing on various media (game card, internal storage, SD card, possibly USB 3.0 hard drive when in enclosure) will affect gameplay. The SDHC/XC/etc. standard has significantly lower read/write speeds than even USB 3.0, which MUST itself be lower than game card speeds, which in turn is almost assuredly lower than internal storage speeds.

The problem only gets exacerbated when you take into account the wildly variable real-world speeds at which different SD cards operate. And there will almost assuredly be situations where the game files are split between multiple sources. Will Nintendo provide an easy way to transfer data from one SD card to another and/or from one medium to another (SD to USB, USB to internal, etc.)? Since the game cards are ROMs, will game updates default to internal storage or SD/USB and/or allow you to choose? Will it be left to developers to decide what data gets stored where, and will there be contingencies in place if one storage medium is unavailable? 

The storage issue was one of the major flaws of the otherwise mostly-positive Switch announcement. With such little space, there are a lot of questions that need answering, and Nintendo being coy/reluctant/vague with their answers hasn't exactly instilled me with confidence in that aspect of the system.

But then again, I never owned a 3DS or Vita, the most comparable point of reference (aside from maybe smart phones) for this kind of thing; maybe storage issues weren't as much a problem as I'm thinking they will be.

Yeah, I'm not too fussed about the storage thing.  Aside from a small handful of Virtual Console games (that I'll just play on my Lakka box anyway) everything I've owned for the Wii/Wii U/DS/3DS has been physical media.  With downloads being tied to hardware instead of an account (something I understand is changing with the Switch) and no discounts for digital I never saw any real incentive not to buy a boxed copy.

2 hours ago, UN Spacy said:

Is that Dragon Quest even being offered digitally? 

I guess we won't really know until Friday late April, but isn't basically everything on disc/cartridge for the Wii U and 3DS available in the eShop?  No reason to think that wouldn't be the case with the Switch.

Ironically, that DQ Heroes is one of the games I'm thinking about picking up if I can get my hands on a Switch by then.  I love both the Dragon Quest series and those Dynasty Warriors games, so it's a combo that works for me.  The only thing keeping me from committing on the Switch version is that I already have the first one on Steam.

Edited by mikeszekely
Mixing release dates

I wonder if they'll have units for sale on the shelves during launch.  Is the Switch garnering that much more attention and desire than previous console releases (not just Nintendo)?  

6 hours ago, myk said:

I wonder if they'll have units for sale on the shelves during launch.  Is the Switch garnering that much more attention and desire than previous console releases (not just Nintendo)?  

I think most places are sold out.  Gamestop just put up more pre-orders yesterday or the day before but they're sold out again.  A lot of the controllers, etc... are as well.

7 hours ago, myk said:

30 minutes ago, Mommar said:

I think most places are sold out.  Gamestop just put up more pre-orders yesterday or the day before but they're sold out again.  A lot of the controllers, etc... are as well.

It's hard to find a preorder, sure. But when I asked about them at a local Target store they weren't taking preorders in-store. Unless Target only allocates their units for online preorders, I'm guessing there might be a few in the wild at launch.

And if it's not? The initial rush will die down. This is their main hardware going forward, not something they thought would be a niche product that's more in-demand than anticipated. Look at the PS4, it was fairly available by January, roughly 2 months after launch.

Regarding playing SF anything on the go, I highly recommend the iFBA emulator, even on an iOS device.  I've been playing all the various Capcom fighters for years on my phone and the implementation of onscreen controls is at least as good as the official SFIV game that came out years ago.

There is nothing like playing the real SF series on the go.

There are already videos of iFBA running on the Switch, which means you can have you hadouken and senpukyaku too.