Still looks pretty interesting but I'm in zero rush for one. I only played a handful of things on my Wii-U, Xeno, Bayonetta, Pikmin. The $300 launch price is absurd, you can get a PS4 or X1 for $50 less, and Nintendo eventually charging for online is idiotic, they've never had a solid online infrastructure let alone one that could rival Sony or Microsoft, and yet you want to charge for it? Zelda at launch just isn't enough for me, the new Mario looks cool, except those areas in the "real" world, they should've cut that bit, it looked awful.

As of now gamestop restocked the base gray switches if anyone cares

http://www.gamestop.com/nes/consoles/nintendo-switch-with-gray-joy-con/141820

27 minutes ago, Tking22 said:

Still looks pretty interesting but I'm in zero rush for one. I only played a handful of things on my Wii-U, Xeno, Bayonetta, Pikmin. The $300 launch price is absurd, you can get a PS4 or X1 for $50 less, and Nintendo eventually charging for online is idiotic, they've never had a solid online infrastructure let alone one that could rival Sony or Microsoft, and yet you want to charge for it? Zelda at launch just isn't enough for me, the new Mario looks cool, except those areas in the "real" world, they should've cut that bit, it looked awful.

But.... the privilege of paying $360 before taxes to play Zelda at launch is totally worth it...yeah..... :/

Edited by Duymon

5 minutes ago, Duymon said:

As of now gamestop restocked the base gray switches if anyone cares

http://www.gamestop.com/nes/consoles/nintendo-switch-with-gray-joy-con/141820

But.... the privilege of paying $360 before taxes to play Zelda at launch is totally worth it...yeah..... :/

It looks good! But not that good, I'm honestly worried how it will turn out. So many franchises now are going open world, because apparently that's the bees knees now days, but I just have this fear that it will be a big world filled with lots of boring busy work. I loved FFXV, but that game turned out the same way, FF was never open world, then it is, and it's a big open world, but it's pretty empty and mostly just filled with places to do fetch quests and other boring grindy stuff.

I'd argue that the original Legend of Zelda was pretty open world. Sure, maybe you'd need a raft or ladder to get to a few spots, but you could get to almost any screen in the overworld from the start of the game, the bombs or the candle let you find tons of secrets without setting foot in a dungeon, and aside from needing the raft and the whistle the dungeons could be done in practically any order. That's what I'm really hoping for in the new Zelda, to explore and take the world as I find it instead of artificial obstacles forcing you on a mostly linear path.

16 minutes ago, mikeszekely said:

I'd argue that the original Legend of Zelda was pretty open world. Sure, maybe you'd need a raft or ladder to get to a few spots, but you could get to almost any screen in the overworld from the start of the game, the bombs or the candle let you find tons of secrets without setting foot in a dungeon, and aside from needing the raft and the whistle the dungeons could be done in practically any order. That's what I'm really hoping for in the new Zelda, to explore and take the world as I find it instead of artificial obstacles forcing you on a mostly linear path.

Yeah I guess technically that one and Wind Waker to an extent were open world, but not like this. This new Zelda appears to be going for the current Ubisoft open world formula, it's huge with tons of things on the map to do, but will any of it be fun? Will it get boring and grindy doing to the same thing I've done in 20 other regions all over again? Time will tell. There's no doubt more love and care will be put into this then, say, a Far Cry or another Assassins Creed, but still, the trend of moving everything towards open world worries me.

Yeah, I've never gotten the feeling that Zelda WASN'T an open-world game, whether it was listed as one or not. I don't know about the more recent and/or mobile ones, but during casual gameplay I've never felt that LttP/OoT/etc. was lacking in exploration options. I suppose this one can be considered more "open" in the sense that challenges aren't necessarily designed to be tackled in any particular way, but... Well, either way, I'll definitely be getting this game anyhow, so it's splitting hairs I suppose.

I've always considered most Zelda games semi open world, like Dark Siders, or Shadow of Mordor. GTA, Saints, Row, Assassins Creed, Far Cry, those are truly open world. Breath of the Wild appears more open world than any previous Zelda title, for better or worse. I'll reiterate that they could pull it off, it's just most open world games now days have a hard time filling in their world with interesting things, they pad it with artificial time killing stuff. I mean we'll know in about two months how well this new open world will open up, I'm just extremely skeptical.

9 minutes ago, mikeszekely said:

I like Far Cry and Assassin's Creed. *Shrugs*

Maybe this will be my favorite 3D Zelda...

I love AC and Far Cry too, played every single one, but that doesn't change the fact that they are filled with a ton of lazy missions and quests, with tons of padded and repeated content and activities. The grind and repetitive nature works for those games, it's expected, but I'm worried Breath of the Wild will simply be that with a Zelda skin. If it is I'll be massively disappointed, that's not at all what I want in a new Zelda, but once again, I'm hoping Nintendo will do something more here.

The Switch works out perfect for me at this point in my life.  I haven't played a console game since my Mom's stroke in September 2015.  I'm never home anymore.  But now that there's a portable system that can run console level Zelda, Mario, and hopefully more from other third parties I can get in some quick games between my Moms therapy and naps.

I'm watching the Japanese livestream right now 

Pretty cringey but so much easier to understand what's going on and what they're saying without the english interpreters lol

Luckily nobody is speaking mega fast like Suda51 so it's easy to understand.

THey are mainly showing casual gimmick party games right now though.....

Edited by Duymon

Yeah, I have Mario Kart 8 and both DLCs on the Wii U, but I'll definitely buy again for the Switch.

While I'm at it, I'll be happy to buy all the games I own on Wii U again on the Switch.  After all, I only have 4 of them (Bayonetta 2, Mario Kart 8, Super Mario 3D World, New Super Mario Bros Wii U).

Today I got to try the switch in NYC, was only a block from one of the train stops I Use in midtown.

waited 2.5 hours to get 10 min of playtime.

Thing is heavier than I thought, but it feels pretty solid.

I think if you marathon game in mobile mode you might want to use table-top mode unless your arms are buff.

I couldn't find an important thing for a mobile console: a metal hardpoint for a wrist-strap.

I know the thing is a hybrid but I would really prefer to have a hardpoint for wrist-strap when playing on the train or something just in case sombeody bumps me and I lose my grip on the switch. Wrist strap has saved my PS Vita 100x already

Today I asked about storage capacity, the staff member said switch can support up to 256gb Micro SD's in addition to the internal 32gb. Zelda is supposedly like 16-ish gigs so 15-ish games can be stored on mem if you're using a 256gb micro SD and the internal storage. Add to that one game in the cartridge slot and any other carts you carry around in your bag. Quite a big of gaming you can carry around. I with other major companies used standardized memory formats in their mobile game devices*cough*screwsony*cough*

Anywho, super excited to get my switch in 6 weeks or so. Will then instantly trade in that $90 dock,hdmi cable and charger set towards a game purchase (got my own usb-c chargers anyways)

Edited by Duymon

If I remember correctly, the controllers either have wrist strap holes or have separate plastic housing accessories that come with wrist straps. It's a shame there's none on the device itself. Maybe it's possible to attach one via the controllers?

I'm almost assuredly getting one, too, but not until after launch.

On 1/13/2017 at 1:38 PM, kajnrig said:

Yeah, I've never gotten the feeling that Zelda WASN'T an open-world game, whether it was listed as one or not. I don't know about the more recent and/or mobile ones, but during casual gameplay I've never felt that LttP/OoT/etc. was lacking in exploration options. I suppose this one can be considered more "open" in the sense that challenges aren't necessarily designed to be tackled in any particular way, but... Well, either way, I'll definitely be getting this game anyhow, so it's splitting hairs I suppose.

If this one harkens back to the original Legend of Zelda then it will be a more true open-world.  Everything that as followed has had a requirement that you needed a specific item at a specific time in order to progress dungeon to dungeon.  There was only one or two dungeons you really couldn't access or complete in the original game without a specific item.  As a matter of fact once you got bombs it was possible to access the final dungeon with Gannon and get yourself in a position where you fought him but had none of the items necessary to hurt him and you'd have to restart the whole game.  It was HUGELY open world in a way that, without exploiting weird glitches, the rest of the Zelda series has never been.  Wandering the open world map at your leisure versus truly being able to tackle obstacles, bosses, dungeons without being locked out is a big difference.  We don't know if that's possible in BotW but the original Legend of Zelda really was about the first open world experience.

1 hour ago, Mommar said:

That's a better sign for Nintendo.  I don't believe there was ever a single instance the WiiU sold out anywhere for any reason.

Surprisingly...I just hope the end result isn't the same.

"When the Wii U launched in November 2012, Fils-Aime said the console sold 400,000 units in the United States. Another 250,000 Wii U buyers were left on GameStop's pre-order wait list after the retailer exhausted its launch allotment, too. The Wii sold 600,000 during its 2006 launch week."

Just got my ticket for the Switch preview in Chicago. It seems for the cities selected it's a 3 day preview, first two days are invite only with selected times then the last is first come first serve. 

With that said I'll share my thoughts but I was thinking of something cool as well. If the Joycons are as good as they said it would be a dream come true to have a Macross game with optional motion controls to mimic the valk controls. Too bad Macross hasn't been on Nintendo in forever but with Bandai Namco support you never know 

On January 15, 2017 at 9:33 AM, Duymon said:

Today I got to try the switch in NYC, was only a block from one of the train stops I Use in midtown.

waited 2.5 hours to get 10 min of playtime.

Thing is heavier than I thought, but it feels pretty solid.

I think if you marathon game in mobile mode you might want to use table-top mode unless your arms are buff.

I couldn't find an important thing for a mobile console: a metal hardpoint for a wrist-strap.

I know the thing is a hybrid but I would really prefer to have a hardpoint for wrist-strap when playing on the train or something just in case sombeody bumps me and I lose my grip on the switch. Wrist strap has saved my PS Vita 100x already

Today I asked about storage capacity, the staff member said switch can support up to 256gb Micro SD's in addition to the internal 32gb. Zelda is supposedly like 16-ish gigs so 15-ish games can be stored on mem if you're using a 256gb micro SD and the internal storage. Add to that one game in the cartridge slot and any other carts you carry around in your bag. Quite a big of gaming you can carry around. I with other major companies used standardized memory formats in their mobile game devices*cough*screwsony*cough*

Anywho, super excited to get my switch in 6 weeks or so. Will then instantly trade in that $90 dock,hdmi cable and charger set towards a game purchase (got my own usb-c chargers anyways)

An addendm to this, Nintendo clarified that the Switch accepts up to 2 TB microSDXC cards and they're looking into allowing external hard drives (though I can't see that working out with a portable system.)

the pro controller looks interesting but with my hobby budget stretched across Macross, Video games and Warhammer 40k I think I'll have to pass due to the price.

I think the only controllers I might end up buying for the switch are replacement joycons tbh

Wow, actual marketing? IMpossiburu....

I remember how I stumbled across the WII U at random in a Toys R US when it came out and it was hiding in the corner... so alone....

Really hope the switch is different. Got $300 sitting in my paypal to pay for my Switch Preorder at release :)