You really won't notice the difference in resolution at that size, but you'll notice the battery life difference tremendously.

Assuming the thing outputs 1920x1080 when connected to the TV. The resolution difference WILL be noticed at that size.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

This will sound crazy but I would probably jump on this only on 2 conditions.

1.) Every game can be played 100% in mobile mode

2.) Nintendo allows the console to charge separately from the dock and also sells a barebones no-dock version for us people who want to play it 100% mobile

I would seriously consider it then because if you go mobile I could care less about any graphics or hardware comparison to the Xbox Scorpio or PS4 pro since they can't go mobile at all.

Edited by Duymon

58 minutes ago, Duymon said:

2.) Nintendo allows the console to charge separately from the dock and also sells a barebones no-dock version for us people who want to play it 100% mobile

I would seriously consider it then because if you go mobile I could care less about any graphics or hardware comparison to the Xbox Scorpio or PS4 pro since they can't go mobile at all.

Your second condition is odd.  The dock is just a piece of plastic with fans in it, it's not expensive.  Leaving it out of the box isn't going to make a difference in price but it does remove convenience in the event you do want to play it at home on the TV.  Also, it uses a usbc connection to power the console on the dock.  Find a usbc wall wart and you can no doubt charge it through there.  

1 hour ago, Duymon said:

I think every game is a "mobile" game. The primary console is the mobile unit. The dock appears to be a charging unit/TV pass-through unit. The whole gimmick behind the switch is play on the go and then continue playing at home on your TV.

1 hour ago, Duymon said:

Wow if the dock is just a cooler that's really lame.

Something tells me I'm better off skipping the Switch because I got burned by the no-game cube and the Wii u

You didn't even care about the dock a minute ago, why care now?  Also, the dock is used to overclock the system to run at higher resolutions for the TV.

I figured the dock would've had something in it other than fans because the so-called leaked specs for the device (arm processor, 1st gen Tegra, etc) seemed really weak for a set-top console. I figured the dock would've had some extra hardware in it in the event that for some reason I wanted to buy it in the future lol

So pretty much what we get is like an Nvidia Shield tablet that's been nintendo-fied and can overclock itself to become a TV set-top console...

I think I'll wait until we get better info on the specs because those leaked specs just seem way too weak

Edited by Duymon

5 hours ago, Duymon said:

I figured the dock would've had something in it other than fans because the so-called leaked specs for the device (arm processor, 1st gen Tegra, etc) seemed really weak for a set-top console. I figured the dock would've had some extra hardware in it in the event that for some reason I wanted to buy it in the future lol

So pretty much what we get is like an Nvidia Shield tablet that's been nintendo-fied and can overclock itself to become a TV set-top console...

I think I'll wait until we get better info on the specs because those leaked specs just seem way too weak

You didn't want a console before, why care if it's console powered when undocked when you wanted a handheld?

Walmart sold out between when I woke up and got to the computer.  Amazon was sold out.  Cart jacked at Target.  Got one at Best Buy.  The one WAY farther from my house.

Also, hey US, we're not Japan.  Don't put ore-orders up in yhe middle of the effing night like we're waiting for a Bandai pre-order.

Edited by Mommar

8 minutes ago, Duymon said:

The timing of the Preorder window seems to be so that regular non-hard core people would wake up to the news that the Nintendo Switch POs all already sold out.

Nice bit a of marketing

I don't know, Gamestop announced PO's at 10 am this morning.  Seems like the stores were allowed to open them when they wanted.  Maybe the rest of them coincided with when PO's went out in Japan since it's a relatively worldwide release.

12 minutes ago, Mommar said:

I don't know, Gamestop announced PO's at 10 am this morning.  Seems like the stores were allowed to open them when they wanted.  Maybe the rest of them coincided with when PO's went out in Japan since it's a relatively worldwide release.

I can remember during the live steam they mentioned JPN preorders don't start until 1/21 which I found kinda crazy since  a Japanese system would go for preorder abroad before it does in its country of origin.

Either the Japanese market is very different and not so crazy about pre-order madness (outside of bandai toy shenanigans) , the device is aimed more at non-japanese audiences, or both?

*shrug*

Edited by Duymon

Screw it I just sold some digital space ships in Star Citizen so that I could nab a Switch without spending any new money :p

Gamestop was a breeze and actually was surprised I didn't get charge tax or shipping so flat 299.99 before applying ~$45 I had on my powerup account.

I'm sure this device will be better than my PS Vita in terms of game support. Just hope there's a good aftermarket case / glass screen protector for those peeps who go 100% mobile with this sucker.

Edited by Duymon

I'm not driving myself crazy trying to get one. I want one, but with it launching after the holiday season, if its anything like the Wii U, it won't be too hard to find after the initial rush. And it's not like the launch games are anything to write home about.

17 minutes ago, mikeszekely said:

I'm not driving myself crazy trying to get one. I want one, but with it launching after the holiday season, if its anything like the Wii U, it won't be too hard to find after the initial rush. And it's not like the launch games are anything to write home about.

Zelda is probably the #1 launch title for many but yeah other than that a lot of the games seem really gimmicky like the Original Wii release (1,2 switch and Arms)

Other than that I think I'll focus on mainly JRPGS.

After I get finish or get sick of zelda I'll probably nab 'I am Setsuna' 

and later on

'Shin Megami Tensei', 'Project Octopath Traveler' and whatever 'Tales of' games they release (JP web says tales of series so no clue which one or if it's a new one)

The Fire Emblem Warriors looks interesting but honestly I'm kinda sick of the whole Dynasty Warriors gameplay that really hasn't evolved in the last 15 years since Dynasty Warriors 2 on the PS2

I'm pretty sure there will be a new monster hunter game for the Switch as well

Edited by Duymon