Jump to content
MisaForever

Macross 7 Discussion

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, sketchley said:

Great summary.

I think that's one of the biggest reasons why I like M7 - it is an evolution of SDFM/DYRL.

That said, I do see where some of the complaints about it come from (evolution not being more of the same), and I personally think the production team could have handled a few things better.  Nevertheless, M7 has an undeniably great, original setting!

Oh I definitely see where the complaints come from. M7 is really more of a Super Robot show than any of the other Macross series, and it's certainly not for everyone, but as a huge fan of Super Robot shows, seeing a franchise I love use elements from Super Robot really worked for me.

 

That and Fire Bomber's music is the bomb (no pun intended)

 

 

Anyways I didn't to cover my opinion on Dynamite 7. I thought it was good, albeit not as good as 7, but I felt they either should have covered all of Mylene Beat in the anime, or cut the Mylene scenes from the anime entirely. As it is, some of the Mylene scenes just don't make sense without context (like the lesbian rape scene) and at times there's contradictions due to excising scenes from the manga (like Veffidas and Ray running off with Mylene after the rape scene instead of being attacked by the bird thing)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Retro Chocolate said:

Oh I definitely see where the complaints come from. M7 is really more of a Super Robot show than any of the other Macross series, and it's certainly not for everyone, but as a huge fan of Super Robot shows, seeing a franchise I love use elements from Super Robot really worked for me.

That definitely highlights one of the greatest aspects of the overall Macross series: the diversity and tonal shifts between each individual series or production.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, sketchley said:

That said, I do see where some of the complaints about it come from (evolution not being more of the same), and I personally think the production team could have handled a few things better.  Nevertheless, M7 has an undeniably great, original setting!

I'm not saying that I want ore of the same, because that's boring. There are some elements that should be present to make the show feel familiar, and connected to its predecessors. The Variable fighter is one such example, it's a staple of Macross, and should be present. The importance of music is of course another thing which should remain constant. M7's setting is definitely interesting, and I enjoyed pretty much everything in M7, just some things resonated wrong for me, and that was jarring, but I'd say my overall opinion of M7 is a net positive, with things I liked outweighing things that I didn't.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Regarding the "powering up" of music, I think M7 could have gotten away with it by being just slightly more ambiguous. Basically, just get rid of the visual song energy effects. No other change. 

 

Personally, I'd also get rid of the Chiba Sound Units. I dislike making explicit quantitative measures of song energy, and would rather they were vaguer about the actual power levels. But I think striking the visual effects alone is probably "good enough".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, JB0 said:

Regarding the "powering up" of music, I think M7 could have gotten away with it by being just slightly more ambiguous. Basically, just get rid of the visual song energy effects. No other change. 

 

Personally, I'd also get rid of the Chiba Sound Units. I dislike making explicit quantitative measures of song energy, and would rather they were vaguer about the actual power levels. But I think striking the visual effects alone is probably "good enough".

Well IMO the visual effects make the battle scenes cooler. It probably could have done with out them, but I really think this plays back into M7 being more Super Robot than Real Robot, with flashy effects being the heart and soul of Super Robot shows.

Similarly, the Chiba Sound Units act as a mid season upgrade, as well as the combination sequence in every episode, so more Super Robot elements.

I understand the Super Robot elements may be a turn off for some, but for me it just made it all the better. It also makes Basara fit in perfectly in SRW

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think you've confused Chiba sound units with sound boosters. The latter was a hardware upgrade not entirely dissimilar from the traditional FAST packs, while the former was a unit of measurement for song energy. CSUs existed primarily to put a number on Basara's singing so everyone knew PRICISELY how good it was. (And occasionally Mylene's, usually to remind us that Basara was better.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, JB0 said:

I think you've confused Chiba sound units with sound boosters. The latter was a hardware upgrade not entirely dissimilar from the traditional FAST packs, while the former was a unit of measurement for song energy. CSUs existed primarily to put a number on Basara's singing so everyone knew PRICISELY how good it was. (And occasionally Mylene's, usually to remind us that Basara was better.)

Ah, yes, I misread that. I do agree with this. Power levels in general are pointless in almost any show

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×