Macross 7 Discussion

MisaForever

Even so, I think Mylene despite her teenage confusion had a better future with Gamlin. That said, they have never revealed who she ends up with if anyone. 

It's not Basara though, cause he could care less. 

Edited by Master Dex

20 minutes ago, Master Dex said:

Even so, I think Mylene despite her teenage confusion had a better future with Gamlin. That said, they have never revealed who she ends up with if anyone. 

We're reasonably sure it isn't Basara, at least... given that the liner notes for the Fire Bomber album Re:Fire, which debuted in-universe in 2060, Basara still hasn't returned to the 37th large-scale long-distance emigrant fleet "Macross 7" after 13 years of wandering the galaxy.  He didn't even turn up to record that 15th anniversary album with the band, he sent the guitar tracks to the label over the galaxy network.

9 hours ago, treker14 said:

I'm probably in the minority here, but I actually like Macross 7. When I first started watching it, I was bored. However, later I felt I had to finish watching it and sorta fell in love with it. The first episodes are slow and a little boring, but it picks up. Everyone mentions G Gundam. I never watched G Gundam so I can't make a comparison, but I have yet been unable to get through Gundam ZZ. I have watched all the UC Gundam series and this is the only one I haven't completed. 

G Gundam is... different. It isn't in the UC continuity.

The premise is that the various nations have negotiated a system where one nation rules over the Earth for one year, and they determine who gets the crown for the next year by a fighting tournament... in which the combatants use 20-foot robots.

BASICALLY, it is Dragonball Z with less filler and more Gundams.

23 hours ago, Mazinger said:

I've said it before, I'll say it again, I'd love for there to be a fanedit of 7 reducing it to about 10 hours work of video.

Get rid of what is slow and repetitive, emphasize the villains plans, and sprinkle in missing backstory from 7 plus, and you would have something really great.

Sadly I'm not an editor nor do I have the time.

Basically get rid of Planet Dance and the transformation sequence of Gamlin's VF-17

6 minutes ago, Convectuoso said:

Basically get rid of Planet Dance and the transformation sequence of Gamlin's VF-17

That would probably cover 70% of it.

I'd also get rid of most scenes with the flower girl and put a 3x limit on fight sequences.

Those changes alone would cut what, 2 hours off of the whole show?

8 minutes ago, Mazinger said:

I'd also get rid of most scenes with the flower girl and put a 3x limit on fight sequences.

Hack out the oft-repeated scenes of the same VF-11 getting blown up and its pilot spiritia-drained and Basara's VF-19 transforming, and you could probably take another hour or two off it.

Sadly, that's what happens when you develop anime and spend most of your budget on music.  Anime was on a razor-thin margin and tiny budget already...

Edited by Seto Kaiba

32 minutes ago, ZOR prime said:

Who the heck is the flower girl?

Nobody in particular.

No, really... she's a nameless background character who spends the entire Macross 7 TV series trying (and failing) to give Basara a bouquet of flowers because she's a fan of his.  That's all.  She has no bearing on or relevance to the plot.

4 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Nobody in particular.

No, really... she's a nameless background character who spends the entire Macross 7 TV series trying (and failing) to give Basara a bouquet of flowers because she's a fan of his.  That's all.  She has no bearing on or relevance to the plot.

But you cheered when she finally got the flowers to Basara nonetheless.

14 hours ago, Bolt said:

Wouldn't THAT be something...but I don't think she's old enough, as Lady M supposedly was around during the end of SDFM, I believe..

Yeah, she's not old enough... Lady M is said to have been researching the military potential of song in the immediate aftermath of the First Space War, meaning she'd be at least as old as Max (who was 52 at the start of Macross 7).

On 9/25/2019 at 10:18 AM, Mazinger said:

The flower girl is great though.

• 4 months later...

Watching this for the first time and while I know I technically can't complain about fansubs.... but for whatever reason the version I got ahold of had episode 44, the episode with the Stargazer mission, in DVD quality. What a bummer seeing it that way for the first time. I’ve tracked down another version for a rewatch, but that sure put a bit of a damper on the experience. Anyway, M7 looks so amazing on the HD remaster and I’m really enjoying it so far. 

Edited by 100mega
Phrasing

• 2 weeks later...

BEAUTY OF COMPLETION!

I've got a lot of thoughts about 7 bouncing around in my head, but I'm having a hard time sorting them out over "WHOA WHOA WHOAAAA~~"  D7 was great aside from whatever the frakk they did with Meylene. Worst, most cruel thing to leave a cliffhanger on ever. Where you supposed to imagine the things that happened to this underage character between the release of OVA 2 and 3? Jesus...

Anyway, I think I just want to point out two things about M7 as a whole. I adore the character designs throughout and the show does an excellent job of keeping everyone on-model for the most part. It's a shame about the reused animation so frequently because it's obvious the staff was talented. One can't help but wonder if this would have been if the skills and budget were compressed to a 26 episode series not to mention how it could have benefited the story pacing. The backgrounds are fabulously detailed especially for the exterior shots of City 7 which didn't seem to be reused too much. In addition I also have to say I love the hyper neon color palette used though the show. It still pops even now. If I could make my own anime I'd want it to look at colorful as Macross 7.

On 2/27/2020 at 4:55 PM, 100mega said:

Anyway, I think I just want to point out two things about M7 as a whole. I adore the character designs throughout and the show does an excellent job of keeping everyone on-model for the most part.

Everyone except for the Stated Protagonist, Basara. He didn't just stay on model, he didn't change. Episode 1 Basara was exactly the same as Episode 49 Basara. The other characters grew around him, and Basara was the same. Not every character has to grow and change, Roy Focker was a static character, and we loved him. He was a character who had already shed his naivete, the same way we saw Hikaru do. Even the baddies grew and changed in M7. Basara didn't feel real, because of that.

It's a shame about the reused animation so frequently because it's obvious the staff was talented. One can't help but wonder if this would have been if the skills and budget were compressed to a 26 episode series not to mention how it could have benefited the story pacing. The backgrounds are fabulously detailed especially for the exterior shots of City 7 which didn't seem to be reused too much.

Like Seto said, that's what happens when you blow the show's budget on music. Every Macross has a balance of elements that it has to maintain. It's like 5 elements or something; Mecha, Music, War Story, Animation, and Love Story. Shows like SDFM and MF managed to define that balance, while others like M7 and Delta skew too far to one or two elements. The OVA's and Movies usually skew too much towards others. Another problem is that good Real-Robot anime tend to be longer format (it takes about 13 episodes for a single arc).

In addition I also have to say I love the hyper neon color palette used though the show. It still pops even now. If I could make my own anime I'd want it to look at colorful as Macross 7.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I actually hated the outrageous color palate. I hated the flight demonstration team colors on combat aircraft. I have the Yamato VF-11C toy, and it feels really strange, because it feels unpainted...