M Frontier: Heavy Soldier Vajra

Xigfrid

IMG_0320.thumb.JPG.0f3bbde5529a2b23fce06add93ad49a3.JPG

This is how you can order and print this Vajra:

You will need from Shapeways : https://www.shapeways.com/shops/xigfrid3dshop?section=Vajra+S&s=0

-Chest inner and bottom parts (71USD including margin of 33USD)
-Head (54 USD incl margin of 33USD)
-Carap part1 (45 USD incl margin of 33USD)
-Neck and Carap part2 (10USD)
-inner mechanism (23USD)
-x2 foot (need 2) (12 USD)
-front tiny hands (12 USD)
-canon arm (20 USD)
-canon Misc3 (9USD)
-x2 Front legs hands (need 2) (9USD)
-eyes (choose between FUD or WSF)

Total of 288USD, with 20% off this is 230 USD. And that already includes the 99 USD of margin for my work. These parts cannot be successfully printed with a FDM printer anyway or they need great strength achievable only by Shapeways WSF material.

The rest of 3D parts can be ordered on Shapeways for another 400 USD, OR you can print them yourself for much more cheaper! These parts require less precision and should be easy to sand smooth. Here is the link to download the STL files HERE

Golden Tatoos: I made the tatoos in PDF format that can be download here. You can print them on an acrylic sheet and apply them to the figure or you can make a mask to make an easy painting of them.

HSoldierVaj_tatoos.jpg.fac77c75444beeecef9ee8aeca06a428.jpg

This one vajra is taking a lot more time to design articulation and movements compared to the previous Mobile Soldier Vajra I made some time ago. Mainly for 2 reasons: first it is so huge in 1:60 scale that the beast will be very heavy for the articulations. The articulations have size restrictions to be insect-like. Secondly this Vajra partly transforms, making things a bit more complicated because the articulations are reversed between standing on 2 feet and on the 6 feet.

coke_can.jpg

Edited by Xigfrid

For it's size that price would be fair. You'd have to find a tough casting material as the smaller parts might be a bit delicate. In my opinion though this would be more suited for someone with prior modelling experience.

Thank you for the feedback!

Indeed this model is very complicated and probably a great amount of the articulation and inner parts would be 3D printed to produce strong and reliable pos-ability to the figure. I plan to make cast parts for only the outer shell of the figure, and the larger parts that won't suffer from the resin tendency to wrap with heat.

Considering the scale of this figure, I would say this is the smallest I could make to be considered fit to fight a DX VF-25 in 1:60 scale, so it could easily be a medium/large Vajra in 1:72. If you followed the discussion about the Vajra size, I concluded that they have a minimum size to be considered "matured for fight", then they grow infinitely just like lobsters do in real life. In Frontier TV show, you can see several sizes: from head to head to Ozma's 25s (street combat), to Alto's 25 climbing on the Lazer canon of a Vajra, up to a Vajra embracing the interstallar vessel transporting Ranka's family and refugees.

I really want this figure to be considered as a toy and not reserved to advance experienced modelers, because it happened to me several times to want beautiful kits but couldn't order them and to be sure to be able to assemble and paint them...

Well now, lets go back to 3D modeling and see how much plastic can be shaved to resin ;)

Hnnng!

This looks like it'll be awesome. I might actually be tempted by this, depending on how long it takes you... :p

Speaking of which, did you ever offer the little Vajra for sale? I can't remember ever seeing it here, or on your Shapeways store.

Hnnng!

This looks like it'll be awesome. I might actually be tempted by this, depending on how long it takes you... :p

Speaking of which, did you ever offer the little Vajra for sale? I can't remember ever seeing it here, or on your Shapeways store.

The little vajra has been on sale for a short period of time just before Shapeways modified the minimum size of sprues, since that moment my model is no more printable until I make larger sprues.

I want to make a display/diorama of the heavy vajra with 3 little ones. Thanks to 3D printing I can make 3 small vajra with a slightly different size and proportions so at this moment I will fix and make 3 versions

$350 is probably the upper limit for me.

i recall there was a Wonderfest 1/72 Big Vajra on YJA going for ~24k yen IIRC. likely smaller than this one and probably not poseable.

lost track of the little vajras. did they end up getting their own sculpted tails? or did you stick with the glow rods?

Mine still has the flat phosphorescent tail.

To make a classic round tail, it can easy be made with a plastic/silicon tube (whichever is easier to paint) and the existing tail bit, assembling everything with a 0.8mm diameter wire copper.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TUYAU-TUBE-EN-SILICONE-I-2-MM-epaisseur-de-paroi-0-3-MM-2-5-Metre-W-9316002-/351870633340?hash=item51ed1fc57c:g:pTgAAOSwcF9UXQl9

Ho well to explain the 350 USD limit ... This is now my objective, that means that I will try as hard as possible to reach that goal. If I reach that price then I stop trying reducing the price more. Reducing price is a very complex task and it generally make the prototype even more difficult to model and to assemble.

For the moment I am making all the articulations, There are just too much but to give you an idea, there are as many articulations than in a classic 1/6 human figure, then you add up all the Vajra specifics such as:

-moving head antennas and mandibles

-articulations for the Laser canon to elevate and rotate over the torso

-articulations on the tail so it can wave like a snake but still handling its role during the standing position

-2 additional complete arms including articulations for fingers (the Vajra has a total of 6 legs)

-torso and neck sliding mechanisms to switch between standing position to crawling position

To be honest I don't have a lot of time for the moment, so this project is very slow! And ye sketchup it is.

Edited by Xigfrid

• 3 weeks later...

This thing is indeed huge. I wonder if it may just be better to make it as a static figure though. Don't get me wrong, I love the engineering aspect of it, but at that size in resin, you're looking at a lot of stress. If it isn't really hard resin, you're looking at possible warping and bending of some parts. I know you'll probably shell it, which will help, but are you going to go with other market joints?

Hi Jasonc, thank you for your insight, a static figure is something I wouldn't like to make. Once this project is over, I am keen to discuss that with anyone wanting to take over.

I know the limits of the classic resin. My recaster has some mechanical resin but I am trying to avoid it. I am now focusing on a working plastic prototype, then working the parts that can be puttied to be recasted as is and those which need the plastic strength.

What do you mean by "market joints" ? I don't see what it is and how that can help, I am really interested of any picture of these!

I have ordered the Laser canon parts and they should be here soon, can't wait to have on hands the first parts of such a big project :)

Just received the 1st parts and everything fits well into the Main laser canon. Including the LEDs etc. Pretty happy how it ended.

This THING is HUGE, ok ?

No wonder SMS and the NUNS got wasted at the beginning there!

Ugh, my poor fast typing. What I meant to ask is if you are going to use any sort of joint system, and if so, are you going to use any third party or aftermarket joints, like Revoltech, figma, or something similar? I'm really liking the design so far. I hope I can afford one when they're done.

• 3 weeks later...

Final touch arm canon and also to the head:

Arm canon:

-approx 12 parts

-8 rotation axis

-7 screws, only 2 visible!

Head:

-translucent eyes that will transmit light from a red LED

-6x moving mandibules

-2x moving antennas

-total of 14 parts that are tightened with 2 screws. Only 1 will be visible

I will work on a few more parts before ordering this lot.

post-15880-0-00419900-1481579045_thumb.jpg

post-15880-0-37642600-1481579050_thumb.jpg

post-15880-0-36909000-1481579055_thumb.jpg

post-15880-0-72748200-1481579057_thumb.jpg

post-15880-0-48269600-1481579058_thumb.jpg

post-15880-0-22912800-1481579059_thumb.jpg

Edited by Xigfrid