M Frontier: Heavy Soldier Vajra

Xigfrid

Thanks again for the good comments! Kelsain, I will revisit soon the small Vajra design to make it less accurate to the line art and more accurate to the movie. Wmkjr, I have been happily surprised that when crouching on its back leg, it can supports a lot of weight, because the articulations are on their maximum reaches, on this pose all the weight is on its right back leg.

here is the complete 6 legs Vajra. Now it's time to play with it before the long painting session. It even fits the Detolf, a bit cramped though!

IMG_9150.JPG

IMG_9156.JPG

IMG_9165.JPG

IMG_9168.JPG

I must have one of these... eventually...

• 4 weeks later...
On 14/03/2017 at 0:34 AM, slide said:

I must have one of these... eventually...

I am working on a feasible way to make it ... a lot cheaper than the current Shapeways price of 757 USD (which is approx 600 USD with extended or the 20% promo code). The idea is to point out the biggest and most expensive parts and to make them available in STL format so you can print them with your own FDM printer. FDM prints are cheap! Making so, would shave about 300 USD from the price.

Still a few parts will need the strength, flexibility of Shapeways' WSF and its ability to make precise pre-drilled holes.

And don't hesitate to ask me any questions if you could be interested.

Edited by Xigfrid

Updated 1st post.

This is how you can order and print this Vajra:

You will need from Shapeways :

-Chest inner and bottom parts (71USD including margin of 33USD)
-Head (54 USD incl margin of 33USD)
-Carap part1 (45 USD incl margin of 33USD)
-Neck and Carap part2 (10USD)
-inner mechanism (23USD)
-x2 foot (need 2) (12 USD)
-front tiny hands (12 USD)
-canon arm (20 USD)
-canon Misc3 (9USD)
-x2 Front legs hands (need 2) (9USD)
-eyes (choose between FUD or WSF)

Total of 288USD, with 20% off this is 230 USD. And that already includes the 99 USD of margin for my work. These parts cannot be successfully printed with a FDM printer anyway or they need great strength achievable only by Shapeways WSF material.

The rest of 3D parts can be ordered on Shapeways for another 400 USD, OR you can print them yourself for much more cheaper! These parts require less precision and should be easy to sand smooth.  Here is the link to download the STL files HERE

Edited by Xigfrid

I must've did something wrong last time I tried as my total came out to about $900ish when I added up all the required parts. That is a huge price reduction. Did you combine or re orientate parts so that they come out being cheaper?

You are right, i recently verified my models because a few were overpriced by shapeways. It turned out that sketchup can create hidden lines or surfaces that cannot be erased, if these surface are outside the model, shapeways just would count it as an increase of machine volume, increasing the final price. 

I ended fixing and reuploading these and they are now at the correct price. 

Edited by Xigfrid

Also another bug from shapeways, if you order more than 16 models you cannot ask for extended manufacturing time. So you have to make several orders and combining the shipping to pay only once. 

But if you order the whole Vajra from shapeways, it would still be more than 600$ in total

Edited by Xigfrid

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you guys! Arbit, I would love to but I just don't have the "whatever is needed" to make a video. I wish I could sell the concept and spend the money to send it to a Macross convention and to Jenius for a complete review !! Come on Bandai buy it ;)

23 hours ago, Xigfrid said:

Thank you guys! Arbit, I would love to but I just don't have the "whatever is needed" to make a video. I wish I could sell the concept and spend the money to send it to a Macross convention and to Jenius for a complete review !! Come on Bandai buy it ;)

Me either. I just use my mobile phone camera or normal digital camera. Doesnt have to be professional quality. But the video brings it to life a bit.

That is amazing.

You need to make a 1/60 pilot figure in Ex-Gear, so you can simulate the scene in episode 1 of Frontier, where a Vajra grabs and squeezes to death the original VF-25F SMS pilot, after he ejects out of the VF-25F,

1 hour ago, Graham said:

That is amazing.

You need to make a 1/60 pilot figure in Ex-Gear, so you can simulate the scene in episode 1 of Frontier, where a Vajra grabs and squeezes to death the original VF-25F SMS pilot, after he ejects out of the VF-25F,

On a side note, this scene is the one that bothers me most in the whole frontier series because it is flawed.

At the beginning, the Vajra grabs the pilot with its smaller leg, the one that has 3 fingers, and when he squeezes the pilot, there is a zoom in the hand that now has 5 fingers and the shape of the larger leg, but without the red carapace on it...

Edited by Xigfrid

On 4/26/2017 at 10:24 PM, Xigfrid said:

Ha and looks like that Shapeways will introduce the new HP Jet Fusion 4200 which is supposed to have a glossy finish, twice more definition as the WSF for half the price...

If it ever comes true, this model will become much more affordable :)

Hopefully it passes the pilot program. As of now, it's currently the same price as WSF until further evaluations are completed. Did you try looking into the pilot extended WSF production for some discounts on your parts? 

5 hours ago, Graham said:

That is amazing.

I believe there is a 1/60 Ex-Gear pilot with the DX VF-25.

2 hours ago, wmkjr said:

Hopefully it passes the pilot program. As of now, it's currently the same price as WSF until further evaluations are completed. Did you try looking into the pilot extended WSF production for some discounts on your parts? 

Always do, this is a permanent approx 17% discount :)

arbit, you got a memory! I had to check at Anymoon review to confirm. I just need to dig the cave for the box.

IMG_0414.PNG

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...