M Frontier: Heavy Soldier Vajra

Xigfrid

• 2 weeks later...

That's some awesome work. are all the joint pieces proprietary parts, or is any of it parts that you can buy? will this consist of screws and that sort of hardware? It looks like a giant kit. what do you estimate it will cost to own one?

So far, I used the exact same hardware as I used with the workroid: M1.7x6mm screws, 1mm diameter rods for smaller articulations and 1.8mm diameter rods for structure reinforcing and a couple articulations

I had a good results with the Workroid, so I used that experience and tried to improve it a bit. At some point I gave up on using magnets. Everything has been sourced on eBay easily. 

Wow yeah this is really really amazing mate. Bloody great work. 

With your 3D model and those arrows that point out the articulation, are they there for you to quickly locate the area to then use the rotate tool if you want to rotate it? or is there another use for them?

Asking for my project as i've just been clicking the rotate tool, finding the middle of the joint i want to rotate it, and turning it to make sure i've got enough clearance etc... just wondering if there is a better/quicker way of doing it. Plus your colours make it look fancy. :-)

Your guess is right Tage, I actually always make a triangle at the end of the bar pointing to a rotation axis, group them together so I can rotate the whole part without zooming in/out the axis. 

The colors are just for the forum folks! I prefer to stay in the original color to avoid overlapping surfaces!

i made the legs, they need to be tighten a bit more, but for now, they are pretty stable and they can be posed!

IMG_8206.JPG

IMG_8210.JPG

IMG_8241.JPG

Edited by Xigfrid

Oh ok cool, i see. Yeah that's super smart. I'm always zooming way in, trying to find the centre of the point i want to rotate from, and even with revealing all edges or whatever it is called that the 'k' shortcut does, it often ends up just getting a bit too busy looking to find exactly what i want.

And wow yeah those feet look great. I'd love to see him kick a VF-25, or grab one like an eagle would heh. Nice.

• 2 weeks later...

I was missing a few colors to complete the arms and legs, but I finished the canon and almost the head (a bit of eye-liner there and there)

i really really like the color scheme. I don't know why in frontier the vajra don't look as good as when you got it in the hands... the color mix in the vajra is super nice. Probably because the production has never used enough light on the vajra to make their colors pop. 

Last picture: I thought a little glow in the dark would be nice, and they also react to UV light :)

IMG_8352.JPG

IMG_8351.JPG

IMG_8354.JPG

IMG_8346.JPG

Depending of the scene they are more or less huge. I am not done yet but I think this vajra can be large enough for the horse riding pose:

IMG_8494.PNG

MT, the vajra looks pretty cute once painted, but perhaps because it's larger than cats it could frighten them. 

• 3 weeks later...

Working on the rest of the body right now. I am trying my best to not overdoing things ... I guess I made a bit too much on articulation and moving parts in the chest ! Just to give an idea of the scale, the chest is only 6 cm high and features: 2 horizontal rotations, 3 verticals and a lot of moving parts

001_chest.jpg

002_chest.jpg

003_chest.jpg

6 hours ago, neptunesurvey said:

Very nice.  Plan to make it in 1/72?

No plan for the moment, we can discuss about that in PM.

3 hours ago, Graham said:

Damn, Xigfrid, I wish Bandai would pay you a shed load of money to buy your design and mass produce this in toy form fully pre-painted.

I would love to too! Even if it is not a crap load of money, I would be glad to :)

• 2 weeks later...

That was a pain in the Axx to finish it. The model is too heavy and a bit too complex for Sketchup basic functions. By the way, I got all the parts ordered and I will be take my time to assemble and paint it once printed!

Printscreens of the finished model, it needs a better pose but, that'd be it until I take photos of the actual toy!

001final.jpg

002final.jpg

006final.jpg

005final.jpg